SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: Once Only movies (Read 12198 times)
Neesierie
Ex Member

Re: Once Only movies
Reply #15 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Oh, Matt!  I loved 5!  It had the greatest lines!  My fave is: 'Why does God need a starship?' 

I'd have thought a deeply spiritual person like yourself would have truly enjoyed watching a demon fail to fool Kirk.  I got a real kick out of it!  The movie also totally trashed the 'feel good' new age-y stuff that was so prevalent at the time.  I laughed and laughed!  (I suppose it meant more to me since I had friends who'd been blinded by the whole new age mess.  I wanted to show them this film and say, See?) *snicker*

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #16 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
That line was funny! Cheesy And watching Spock play "Row, row, row, your boat" on a Vulcan harp was classic! Wink I guess I'm trying to compare it to "The Wrath of Khan" and I shouldn't. Smiley

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
No.  That won't work.  I've always felt that each of the Star Trek movies had merit (well, except the first!) and needed to be taken individually instead of as a whole.  If we think of them collectively, the only one anyone would comment on would be 4, since it's a universal favorite!  Cheesy  And that would leave out the wonderfully sarcastic 6, the totally action-packed 2, the introspective 3, etc.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #18 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
The funny thing about the first one is it would have worked much better with a different director! Nothing against Robert Wise, he is a great director, but he didn't know what made Star Trek work. Nick Meyer on the other hand knew exactly what the formula was and his direction of 2 was fantastic. Wink

Had he directed the first one it might have been a much better movie! Smiley

And you're right about 4, everyone loves that one! The music was great too! Cheesy

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #19 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
What really really annoys me is that I was thinking about a film that I hated and then started reading your posts about ST films and totally forgot the film I was thinking about. Angry

I diodn't like the first StarTrek film but at least it got made, and then it spawned the spinoffs and the other films.. some of which were great (Wrath of..) and some were rubbish.. don't even remember their names! Huh

Pearl Harbour was pretty dire. a romantic froth about a truly tragic event... Nah.
But that wan't the film i was thinking about.. I won't sleep tonight.. and its all YOUR fault! Grin

I need some air.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #20 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
You're going to remember it in the middle of the night while you are cuddled up next to hubby all nice and comfy! Cheesy

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #21 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Yeah.  Right. Angry

And I'll think to myself.. I MUST remember that.. and I won't. Grin

I need some air.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #22 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
denisefelt wrote on Aug 14th, 2010 at 7:25pm:
I'd have thought a deeply spiritual person like yourself would have truly enjoyed watching a demon fail to fool Kirk.

I may need to re evaluate the movie. You just shed it in new light! Cheesy

IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Really?  Oh, I loved the whole rigamarole where everyone thinks that Spock's brother is a new prophet for God or something -- but Kirk's sitting back thinking something's not right here!  And the confrontation scene was priceless!!!  Kirk is all respectful and polite -- and still manages to piss the demon off royally by his common sense approach!   There's just so much depth to that film.  It wasn't your typical Star Trek movie, while still including all the fun ST elements with the interaction of the crew.  Chekov gettiing lost, Uhura dancing!  And the fearless captain rock-climbing -- totally insane!  But that's Kirk.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2010 at 4:28am by »  

IP Logged

dragon
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 3:21am
Print Post  
Personally I also liked Kirk's reaction to Spock's brother offering to take away his pain and Kirk pointing out that his pain was a part of who he was, molded him and made him the man he was. Pain is a part of life.

Yes, Why does God need a spaceship? That was such a perfect question and it set the rest to thinking.

Star Trek may be the only movie series to blatantly reverse the sequel curse. I'm sorry, WoK is soooooooooooo head and shoulder above the first movie which was just a glorified vger.(OK, so, died in the wool ST:tos fan ... of course I loved Harlan Ellison on the Tonight Show telling Johnny Carson about his throwing out ideas including the Enterprise finds God and the response being "It's not big enough!" And V'ger was?????? LOL)

Rocket boots, always keep the rocket boots handy ... and the alien wearing them. (Goddess: Straker and Spock. Didn't someone write that?)

ciao

d

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #25 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Lightcudder wrote on Aug 14th, 2010 at 8:54pm:
Yeah.  Right. Angry

And I'll think to myself.. I MUST remember that.. and I won't. Grin

So Louise, did you remember the film? :Smiley :Smiley :Smiley

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #26 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
No Angry

But I have remembered which malt whiskies I need to try!

BTW..I enjoyed the Die Hard films ( there was one on tv while I was babysitting tonight!)

Love Bruce Willis!
  sad eh?

I need some air.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #27 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Die hard was okay! Wink I really do need to grab a copy of Apollo 13 on DVD. I only have it on VHS tape! Angry

You said once you liked Richard Whitmark, do you remember "The Bedford Incident"? :Smiley

IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 3:19am
Print Post  
Die Hard is great stuff!  And one of the sequels is really good too, but not the one with the plane.  Pathetic!  But the fourth one was delightful!  Loved the geek playing opposite him in that!  Lots of fun!  Cheesy

BTW, Louise.  I surprised myself by really liking Bruce Willis.  Maybe it's the roles he plays, I don't know.  But he's just so irreverent and sarcastic.  I can't help it!  He makes me laugh!  And I love a man who can make me laugh!  Grin

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #29 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Willis was cool in Armageddon, great movie! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3