SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) FDK - The Perils of Josephine (Read 13304 times)
Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Re: FDK - The Perils of Josephine
Reply #15 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Yeah, but before she can get the guy with the camera in to take pictures, she had to have a way of getting Straker INTO the hotel room for that idyllic weekend.

If Straker hadn't chased after her for the tape, it's not likely she would have met him again.

My take is - while her regular modus operandi was to use the reporter gig to get close to guys to con them, we didn't see that next step in whatever her plan was. Maybe that was the call she was trying to make - she was calling him with 'let's get together for drinks'. Or maybe she was hoping there was something on the tape she could use to get an in with him.

I mean, we know what her record says she does, but we didn't see her do it. He did.

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #16 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Actually Deb, it's a point I've pondered for years!  Back when I was working on the Conover Saga and trying to make Jo something other than what she seemed to be, that was the biggest flag that went up.  My solution to the writer's 'oops' was to make her something else entirely. Cool  Hey, whatever works!

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #17 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
And then there's the whole thing of you can only blackmail someone who has something to hide or protect. Straker was unattached. Even being caught in bed with a hooker wasn't going to damage him all that much. Embarrass him, maybe a little, but he's in the movie business, it comes with the territory.

Maybe being caught in bed with a MALE hooker might have done more damage, but it's still not blackmail material for a single guy with no relationship to protect. (Even in the Eighties.)

So again, what was she really after? Maybe stringing him along with a hard-luck story? That might work and it looks like that's where she might have been heading with the 'one story published' line.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #18 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
And maybe, just maybe, she wouldn't have gone through with it. The blackmail that is. In Straker's conversation with Ford, I suspect that Ed was contemplating that very possibility. :Smiley

I know, I'm being naive, but I've always felt that there is good in all of us. Wink (The glass half full and all.)

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #19 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Well, she did start on the hard luck story with him. And I suspect he may have been naive enough to fall for it if the G-6 hadn't warned him off. (Heck, we know he was naive enough. He took her home and fed her.)

But if Straker hadn't chased her down for the tape, what would her next step have been, if any?

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #20 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
And that's the part that sticks in my gullet every time.  Straker wasn't naive.  So why the hell did he go along with her at all?  I have to agree with Amelia and Ed.  That entire episode showed him OOC.  Tongue

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #21 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Straker wasn't naive.  So why the hell did he go along with her at all?

And that's one I fought with when I originally novelized that story - I ended up with him feeling pushed to get out more and do more studio stuff. Going after her fit that need and he was feeling... lonely, horny?

He's still OOC. And so's Freeman. He was making dimbulb mistakes and you KNOW Ford covered for him.

The only character in the whole thing that was even close to o.c. was Foster. Even the Moonbase girls were OOC - what dimbulb stands in front of a moving truck hoping it'll stop in time? Shocked

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #22 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
It's just how the writers occasionally bent the characters to suit the scripts, isn't it? This is the episode where Freeman shows himself in need of guidance from Ford to enable him to do his job, iirc.

I do think it was OOC a) for Straker to chase after her himself other than for the benefit of the script - he had staff and an amnesia drug; b) the car chase was silly - all the high-speed meaningful looks; c) he surely wouldn't have taken her to his home - though the amnesia drug would have allowed him to do that except he didn't use it and just let her go. Oh yeah, and d) knowing that there was a tape recorder in her bag, he didn't notice that she'd left it behind in the first place.  :Smiley I don't think Straker is infallible but forgetting a tape recorder in his role is a bit hard to credit.

The whole thing was a bit daft, really. Though I do still think - despite proffered "evidence" to the contrary that Straker fancied Ms Fraser. Which does go some way to explaining some of the above.

Edited to add after reading Deborah's post above:
I thought that mentioning his divorce to a journalist was ooc too - unless he was connecting with JF on a personal level.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #23 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
I sometimes wonder what Gerry Anderson was thinking when he looked at the script proposals.  Didn't he care about the holes big enough to drive a truck through?  I mean, if it was me, I'd want my characters to stay true to the way I'd created them.  I know for a fact that Roddenberry felt that way.  It's mentioned in every interview with him, as well as being noticed by the actors playing the parts.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #24 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Normandie wrote on Apr 22nd, 2011 at 5:21pm:
The whole thing was a bit daft, really. Though I do still think - despite proffered "evidence" to the contrary that Straker fancied Ms Fraser. Which does go some way to explaining some of the above.

The episode was a mess! Cheesy But I'm forced to agree that Ed felt something for Jo, and to me the biggest clue was in his conversation with Alec after the fact. I really couldn't tell by his interaction with her either at the bar or at his home later on. Straker was very good at hiding his feelings.

I would not want to sit across from him in a poker game! Cheesy

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #25 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Actually, it's pretty obvious in his office when he meets her.  At least, it was to me.  Everything he feels shows in his eyes, and that's where I tend to look.  But even in my stories, I try to give him a decent reason for pursuing a woman who appeals to him.  He was surrounded by beautiful women every day at the studio!  If he was that susceptible, he'd have been court-martialed!  :Smiley

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #26 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Straker fancying her does explain some things. But overall, there are holes you could drive a Mack truck through, and somethings just don't work on any level - like the the girls in the Moonbase Control Sphere waiting to be squashed. I know it was meant to dramatically show the danger, but come on. Shocked

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #27 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
I looked at his eyes as well (the windows to the soul). Maybe I missed it.

Speaking of plot holes and bloopers, did anyone notice that Gay and the girls had yellow helmets when shot from the from the front and silver when shot from the back? Ooops! Grin

Right on Deb, they would have evacuated the base. Shocked

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #28 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Neesierie wrote on Apr 22nd, 2011 at 5:39pm:
He was surrounded by beautiful women every day at the studio!  If he was that susceptible, he'd have been court-martialed!  :Smiley

I suspect he'd consider all those "out of bounds", too dangerous to get involved with. Which doesn't explain why a dodgy journalist is a good bet to get involved with but opportunities to meet unattached females outside of SHADO and the studio were probably few and far between. I mean, short of the Timelash drug, there were only 24 hour in the day. Cheesy

Re the Moonbase women standing in front of the out of control truck, sometimes I think the Andersons still thought about their characters in terms of puppets. They hadn't totally made the mental transition to human. What would have passed unremarked in Thunderbirds or Captain Scarlet looks odd when transposed to human characters. Maybe.  Wink

Edited to add:
I do think that these discrepancies and oddities must make the series a dream for writers, though. If something is totally thought through and set in stone, it must be more difficult to extrapolate confidently and believably. In the case of just this episode it's possible to write around a competent or incompetent Alec, a Jo Fraser who is a victim of circumstance; or a total con artiste out to blackmail or scam money; or someone being used (as Deb has it) to find out something about the situation at the studio; or as Denise had it (iirc, sorry if I don't) a CIA agent also trying to figure out what's happening at Harlington-Straker. And many (all) of those ideas have been made to work convincingly.

If the series had firmly laid out that -

Jo Frazer was a con artiste
She'd researched Straker and decided he would be a good mark
She tried her hand at getting to him
He G6-ed her and threw her out never to be seen again
... that would do away with so many writing opportunites!

Good grief, my edit is longer than the original post.   Embarrassed Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #29 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Lips Sealed

And anyway, I blame Ms Ealand for the whole mess.

If she'd researched Jo Fraser properly (as I'm sure someone in a similar role in anything approaching RL would have done) she'd have identified that Jo Fraser was a fraud long before she ever turned up for the interview. Smiley

Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo