SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Off duty, relaxing in the SHADO Moonbase lounge (Read 20025 times)
Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Off duty, relaxing in the SHADO Moonbase lounge
Apr 6th, 2011 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
You are now entering the Shado lounge. Duck your head as you enter. Caution! Pretend to be busy if you see Commander Straker around.

It occured to me that we know fairly little about what our Librarian and members do for hobbies, their interests, origins, that sort of thing. So this could be for Denise's sewing, Matt's photography, etc. etc. Nans' horses (tiny Breyer ones) I  particularly would like to see responses from our other members and lurkers. I know posting can be very daunting and difficult, but this might be a less stressful way for you to contribute, at least I hope so.
  (Perfect grammar and spelling not mandatory in here, Deborah!  Cheesy )
My insignificant other collects model cars, and Straker-type paperweights, including a green glass ball.  Wink
I collect Straker stuff, Ed Bishop material, all kinds of books, porcelain rabbits and mice, jewelry, (I've made some of my own earrings) toy animals, mostly rabbits and rodents but I have a few Harrods bears. I've started to collect copper molds. I also collect English things, 007 novels and material, Interior decorating coffee table books, mostly British manor/cottage style ones.  I'm an Anglophile, I have been one since the Bond movies came out.
Photographs later.

Help yourself to the international meals dispenser, beverages, Alec's bar and Skydiver coffee. Caution! Commander Straker is known to enjoy stealing people's coffee, and apples and grapes from fruit baskets.

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Re: Off duty, relaxing in the SHADO Moonbase lounge
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Kewl!

Or even have a sort of list thingy that people can complete?

Pets: dog, Peps - a rescue we adopted because his owners had made him neurotic and then didn't want him any more. He arrived with us on a prescription for dog "Prozac"  :Smiley and a rabbit imaginatively called Rabbit who was a neighbour's escaped pet rabbit rescued from our field just before winter set in last year. Rabbit rewarded this good deed by proving that she was female and having babies.  :Smiley :Smiley She's very sweet, though. We now have Rabbit and one of her babies for company. Called Rabbit Deux. (Does anyone wonder why I don't write?) We also have sheep, chickens and bees - but I don't count those as pets.

Interests: wildlife, photography, painting, sewing, gardening, reading, cooking, eating

Favourite book: Collected stories of Sherlock Holmes - an early love was S Holmes  Cool

Favourite movie: Blade Runner. Or sometimes TopGun. (Sorry about that one!)

Favourite music: Mozart and / or Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Favourite UFO character: Oh that would be that nice Mr Straker. Though I can see that Virginia Lake might head a few people's list.  Wink

Favourite UFO episode: I'll think about that overnight and edit it in tomorrow.

Guilty secrets: that would be either watching TopGun every couple of months or loving Lidl's Romanetti Bianco sweet vermouth @ £2.99 a bottle. It is disgusting stuff, but served very chilled I can't leave it alone.

Would that work? Got any other ideas for headings?

Edited to add:
Favourite UFO episode: Difficult, but for quite diverse reasons and dependent on mood at the time, Conflict, Court Marshal and The Man Who Came Back.

Another one for the list (thingy!) should anyone be creeping out of lurkdom to play:
Favourite tv series ever:The West Wing. Even when it was not so good it was great.
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2011 at 1:12pm by Normandie »  

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Let's see. I write Perl programs and test engines for fun and not-a-lot-of-profit. I collect books - close to 9000 titles in the house covering damn near everything. Castles, armor, weapons, dragons, USAF, RAF, neurobiology, forensics, police tactics, fire fighting, theology, astrology, gardening, mysteries, spy thrillers, techno-thrillers, writing.

The dog is named Gracie and I have a picture of her on the net somewhere. She's half Sheltie and all noise.

And oh yeah - I run this place, the Big Apricot, Realmshelps, the On-line Shrine to Sts Vidicon and Isidore, and a couple more sites.  Grin

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Quote:
Or even have a sort of list thingy that people can complete?

Deborah, how do we make a list thingy?  Grin
Pets: All toy animals, although when young I had a dog, but like I said, I raised mice and rats as a hobby, and I miss the rats terribly but as my husband tells me, we're too ill to take care of them the way we did before. So he's my rat.  Grin
  Interests:Writing! England, antiques,  psychology , decorating, languages, myth,  metaphysics, crystals, alternative medicine, aromatherapy etc. I'm starting to read Cosmic Ordering. My husband is very much a Prove It guy. He scoffed, until he tried it and he found the book he'd asked for  Grin
Favourite book:  Grin Normandie, you NEED to talk to Blue Shrew Nans, she loves Holmes books! On our vacation, my husband, a new/old Holmes nut, (Jeremy Brett and Benedict Cumberbund, did I get that name right?  Grin ) borrowed all her NEW Sherlock stories by various authors!  God. favorite book? Goddess. One with a cover and pages  Grin
Favourite movie: Doctor Zhivago, Avatar, Director's cut of Blade Runner
Favourite music: some classical, piano, new age, Pink Floyd, Genesis, light jazz, Sade, classic rock, Alan Parsons Project, Moody Blues, most movie theme music, John Barry, lots more

Favourite UFO character:

Favourite UFO episode: A Matter of Priorities
Guilty secrets: Food when I shouldn't be eating. Shopping when I shouldn't be buying. Books! Magazines! Ignoring the credit card bill balance and reusing it.

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Quote:
I collect books - close to 9000 titles in the house covering damn near everything. Castles, armor, weapons, dragons, USAF, RAF, neurobiology, forensics, police tactics, fire fighting, theology, astrology, gardening, mysteries, spy thrillers, techno-thrillers, writing.

This is a stick-up. Hand over your books! Especially the ones I highlighted! Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 12:45am
Print Post  
God, where do I start? Well you all know about my writing and photography (including astrophotgraphy). My other hobbies include reading, ham radio, music, (I sing and play guitar) fishing, and I can cut a rug with the best. *grin*

Music, 50's, 60's, 70, country, bluegrass, and even some classical.

I'm always into something.

Favorite UFO character? Do you really need to ask? Grin

« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2011 at 3:49am by Matt »  

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Quote:
Favorite UFO character? Do you really need to ask? Grin

Ford?  Smiley

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 12:50am
Print Post  
He is in the top five. Cheesy

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #8 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Amelia,
Don't you mean A Question of Priorities?

Okay.  My list.  I'm afraid mine is as schizophrenic as Normandie's!  Cheesy

Pets: none since my last cat refused to move with us to our new house.  I spoil my grandkids instead!

Interests: Writing, reading, sewing, photography, quilting, scrapbooking, bookmaking, singing, dancing, creating and maintaining several websites, making lists, etc.  (I get bored easily and so have enough diversity in my hobbies to be able to shift at will and never be bored.)

Favorite book: These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer

Favorite movie: Aeon Flux.  2nd? The Matrix  (Hey, I love mind-blowing sci-fi love stories!  Don't say you're surprised!)

Favorite music: Wow.  Really hard.  I guess whoever I'm listening to at the time.  Or what mood I'm in.  Linkin Park, G & R, Billy Joel, Janet Jackson, Chicago, Moody Blues, REO Speedwagon, Rob Thomas, Nickelback, etc.

Favorite UFO character:  You're kidding, right?  Duh!  :Smiley

Favorite UFO episode: a toss-up between Timelash, Mindbender, and SubSmash (with the winner being the one I'm watching at the moment)  Grin

Guilty secrets: nope, not telling!  Lips Sealed

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 1:24am
Print Post  
Quote:
Amelia,

No, I meant A Matter of Priorities, the little known sequel UFO episode, which only I own. In it, Mary's husband is shoved out of Moonbase without a spacesuit or helmet. John is secretly alive, saved at the last minute by Alec Freeman, and is reunited with Straker. Mary is shoved in Straker's vapouriser.

and if you believe that.....

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #10 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Moody Blues kicks arse! Chicago is awesome as well. Led Zep, Kansas, Stones, Aerosmith, Wings, Beetles, Marshall Tucker, ZZ Top, the list is endless! Wink

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #11 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Aerosmith!  The best of the bad boys!  Yes, yes, yes!  Smiley

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #12 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 1:41am
Print Post  
In the mood I'm in right now, I don't know what would be better, a soothing Alabama love ballad, or some hard driving, kick a** rock and roll! Shocked Grin

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #13 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Write Rat wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 1:24am:
Quote:
Amelia,

No, I meant A Matter of Priorities, the little known sequel UFO episode, which only I own. In it, Mary's husband is shoved out of Moonbase without a spacesuit or helmet. John is secretly alive, saved at the last minute by Alec Freeman, and is reunited with Straker. Mary is shoved in Straker's vapouriser.

and if you believe that.....

Out an airlock sans suit eh? Nice! Smiley

IP Logged

Blue Shrew
Lieutenant

Did I wake you, Alec?

Reply #14 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 4:59am
Print Post  
Pets:  Dulce De Leche, silver marble Bengal, in the past Cardigan Welsh Corgi and Quarter Horse

Favourite book: Horse books, Sherlock Holmes, Lord Peter Wimsey, Jonathan kellerman, Faye kellerman, Patricia Cornwall, James Patterson (Alec Cross series). Lee Child and his brother, Elizabeth Peters, The Dune series, Laurie R King (The Bee Keeper series). I have never counted my book collection but they fill seven tall bookcases.  Each author has several shelves to occupy.  The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes was the first book I every bought with my own money, took me several month to save enough allowance. It is still with me.

Favourite movie: The League of Extraordiney Gentlemen, James Bond collection, Finding Forrester, to Kangroo Jack a very electric collection

Favourite music: Long haired music

Favourite UFO character: Oh let me thing Alec of course

Favourite UFO episode:  All that have Alec in them

Guilty secrets: Taientt Gelato Tahitian Vanilla Bean and a Diet Bsrq's

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Add Poll Send Topic