SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Fallen Heroes FDK (Read 24596 times)
Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Re: Fallen Heroes FDK
Reply #30 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Librarian wrote on Mar 27th, 2011 at 1:52am:
I suspect there may be a lot of not speaking of the dead around SHADO.

I've always felt that way too.  In fact, it's a key point in the second story I ever wrote, The Worst-Case Scenario.  Because Paul had never heard of Sheila, even though she had worked at SHADO.  But since she had 'died' on Moonbase, no one spoke of her, even though she had been well-liked (like Craig.)

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #31 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Mar 27th, 2011 at 2:01am:
I always thought Ed avoided calling her by first name as a self defense mechanism. He was afraid of where it may lead. Wink

It's what I would do.  Sometimes that small distance is all you've got to keep the feelings in line.  I also think that he probably had strong feelings for her from the very first time they met (although the episode never showed this), because of the fact that he always refers to her as Colonel in the show (except for the Beaver incident.)

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #32 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I suspect there may be a lot of not speaking of the dead around SHADO.

I agre Deb, I can think of a few besides Craig, there is Ken, Beaver, Roper, Conroy, the list goes on. Sad

Quote:
It's what I would do.  Sometimes that small distance is all you've got to keep the feelings in line.

Yep, I saw the same thing. The scene that I mentioned from Timelash told a huge story to me. Ed did not want to leave her, but he knew that he had to. Lot's of emotion there. Sad That one scene coupled with him returning to the roof just before they caught up with him spoke volumes, to me anyway. Wink

BTW Denise, I forgot to mention the great use of real world application, concerning the techno-babble. I added a bit to the review to cover it. Wink

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #33 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Techno-babble?  What techno-babble?  (looks around)  Ain't no techno-babble here!  Cheesy

Actually, doing the research for this story was a blast!  And I'm not done yet.  Have I mentioned before how much I love to research things?  Wink

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #34 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Why yes, I believe you have. :Smiley Cheesy

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #35 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
That was unexpected! Shocked Wow! The plot thickens. Wink

And you have the New England accent down well, I know because I live here. Grin

I'll post a review of Chapter: 4 in a bit.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #36 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
One of my favorite authors writes so fondly about New England that I feel as though I've actually been there.  I've hit lower on the East Coast, however, more than once.

So glad you're enjoying all my little twists and turns!  Smiley

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #37 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
This is follwing very smoothly, I think you have more of a handle on it than you think. Wink

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #38 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Ooh, the plot is thickening nicely. Craig never told anyone he had a kid.

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #39 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Chapter 4:
I loved the light hearted banter here. And I just about rolled out of my chair when Ginny stuck her tongue out at him. Her thoughts after were spot on. Love is strange! You really have the New England accent that Ed used down to an art.

The conversation about their past flowed very smoothly, in fact the whole chapter did. It’s very natural and not forced at all. When the Commander closes up later, Virginia is still able to bring him out of his shell. To me, that aspect is telling as Ed would not allow just anyone into his inner feelings. I’m convinced now that Ed doesn’t have any idea how Ginny feels about him or the other way around for that matter. They are still very much feeling each other out, and the reader knows this even though Ed and Ginny don’t. Good work. It was a great idea for them to use the excuse of informing Cecelia of Craig’s death. And knowing Ed, that check would be a very sizable amount.

The description of the house and neighborhood was excellent. I can picture it very well. (I have driven through Ohio on I-80/I-90 and I’m quite familiar with the lay of the land.) You describe it perfectly. I liked Ginny’s thoughts about not taking the lead here in such an uncomfortable situation, although I think she would if needed. The clue that the young girl was Craig’s daughter was subtle, but I see both Ed and Ginny picking up on it. This story is coming together very well so far.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #40 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
I see them as two dogs in a ring, circling each other and trying to decide whether they're going to fight -- or mate!  Grin

But that's just me.  Wink

To me, the most important aspect to any relationship (be it platonic or otherwise) is how the other person makes you feel about yourself.  When they can bring out those fun aspects of your personality that no one else sees, then the relationship is working well.  And love is in the air!  Kiss Kiss Kiss

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #41 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
You're so right! Grin They most certainly are sizing each other up. This is a different approach than I used, and you are making it work well for you. In my scenerio Ed already knows how Virginia feels about him, all he has to do is pull the trigger. Your version is a different dynamic altogether and in a lot of ways, it works better than mine. Bravo! Smiley

Your take on Ginny's thoughts about Craig are giving me some ideas, and I may want to steal borrow a few of them! Cheesy

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #42 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:
He doubted if there was a man alive who could resist Virginia when she wanted something.

Fiesty Ginny! Cheesy All she has to do is bat those eyes a few times and all the guys are done for! Smiley

Looking good Denise! Wink

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #43 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Chapter 5:
I would have paid real money to see the look on Ed’s face when Margaret gave him an attitude. Of course Virginia comes to his rescue. She’s canny. It was tragic to find out that both Cecelia and Richard are both dead. And Ed wonders if they were too late. There is a lot of emotion here and Virginia looking as if she is going to cry was certainly believable.

So Margaret never knew about her father, no surprise there, it happens way too often. I think you captured the moment well. We get to see Ed in a rare moment of tenderness when her hands Margaret the box of tissue. Ed’s tender side was only captured in a few episodes of the series and it was a real treat when it happened, like his dealing with Catherine Frasier in The Long Sleep. You brought that out very well here.

I loved it when Virginia asserts her will and gets Ed to give Corky an autograph. Virginia has the “woman’s wiles” down to a science. No man can resist her? That’s an understatement. You really stimulated my interest with the aspect of both the equations and the electronics. I’m thinking now that Margaret is the one in danger because of this work that she is doing. She is a real chip off the old block. Quite a few people seem to forget that Craig was an engineer, and that is why I had no problem with the pairing with Ginny. As I put it in my stories, “Underneath the rough and ready exterior, was a very keen mind.”

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #44 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Matt said: “Underneath the rough and ready exterior, was a very keen mind.”

I love that!  Actually, since he was a longtime friend of Straker too, he had to be brilliant or he'd have been left behind.  One thing I liked when I was rewatching the episode was when he jimmied the air control unit outside Grey's room.  It showed without words a man who not only could think on his feet, but was very good at 'tinkering.'  I modeled his daughter after that.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo