SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Canon Fodder: UFO (Read 13818 times)
Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Re: Canon Fodder: UFO
Reply #30 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
I think you must have that wrong, Matt.  Knightly isn't pretty enough to be anyone's eye candy!  I figure she was probably the mistress of someone in production at the time of casting.  It's the only reason anyone would give her the part.  She's really awful.  And it isn't just in that role either.  She's ruined every movie she's been in.  Gak!  Tongue 

Now, Ziva is a different cup of tea altogether!  Isn't she great?  I'm glad they haven't put her and Tony together.  She's way too much woman for him!  Wink

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #31 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Maybe the artwork from the movie made her look better than she is. But if she has no smarts, that does it for me anyway.

Now Ziva, she totally rocks! Wink

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #32 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
But seriously, Matt.  You have to watch at least clips from the movies.  Depp as Jack is . . . well, he's phenomenal!  And considering that the role wasn't even written that way, Disney owes him BIG TIME for saving the movies from being utter flops!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #33 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I do need to watch them, just in case someone else writes a crossover! Cheesy

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Pam wrote her Dallas/UFO story. The curcumstances surounding that were similar to the origins of Distant Memories.

I'm surprised that you haven't written a crossover yet! :Smiley I'll be willing to bet that you could come up with a good one! Wink Cheesy

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #34 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Oh, God!  I have a million of them!  Straker meets Picard.  Straker meets Mal Reynolds.  Straker meets Leroy Jethro Gibbs.  Straker meets Wonder Woman.  Kiss  Oh, yeah. *sigh*  But somehow, I just don't have the same feel for the characters in other shows like I do for UFO.  They haven't lived in my head for years, you see.  So I worry that I won't do them justice.  Maybe someday if the ideas trickle out, I'll tackle a crossover just to get things jump-started again.  Who knows?  Cool

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #35 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Straker meets Wonder Woman.  Kiss

Oooo, now that one sounds like must read! Wonder Woman rocks! I loved Lynda Carter's portrayal of her! At six feet she could look Straker right in the eye! Cheesy

Straker and Picard are cut from the sme cloth. Both men of honor. One of Picard's most shining moments, was when he stood up to Admiral Halftell, refusing to allow him to take Data's daughter Lal, in the TNG episode Offspring. The words he spoke still send shivers down my spine. Truly a man of wisdom. Wink

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #36 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Oh, yes!  One of my favorite Picard moments!  I also cry every time I watch the scene in Insurrection where he asks the admiral, "How many people does it take, Admiral, before it becomes wrong? Hmm? A thousand, fifty thousand, a million? How many people does it take?"  It sends shivers up my spine even quoting it!  Shocked

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #37 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Crossovers are never easy - and crossovers with U.F.O. have their own difficulties mainly because of the obviously alternate history and technology in the UFOverse. It's hard to be true to both sets of characters.

I just can't get my head around even trying a modern CSI or Law & Order cross with U.F.O. - although it's been done. My ability to suspend disbelief just won't go there. SHADO had a moonbase and Earth had research and mining facilties there in 1980 and the world that CSI and L&O belong to don't.  (Although Straker and Jackson vs Goren and Eames would be a hoot.)

Star Trek is a little easier - in the STverse a lot of historical information has been lost and it had been established early on that space exploration had continued and advanced much farther than in RL. All that was really required was for SHADO to stay secret during WW3 so that the Federation didn't have a good handle on them.

I chose Kirk for that one because I wanted it to be a time travel story - a replay of 'Tomorrow is Yesterday' and Picard's Enterprise just wasn't noted for being sent back in time and Kirk's was. There were other considerations as well, but that was a key one.

Straker and Wonder Woman? Well histories within the DCU (DC Universe) is so highly maleable, almost anything goes - and does. Hmm, if I didn't have so much on my plate right now I might try my hand at that one.

SHADO and Wayne Industries? - That would be fun too.

SHADO and Superman? - that is fun. Straker is so versatile.  Grin

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #38 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
I agree Deb, although I was surprised how well my Bonanza story came together. And Pam's Dallas/UFO story, there was just something greatly satisfying about seeing Straker out fox ol' JR! Cheesy

The Time Tunnel and UFO might work. I think it was set in the same time period, I'll have to check. 1968, that put's it twelve years behind UFO. We might have a plot bunny there.

As for Star Trek, I'm still thinking about Voyger, as Captain Janeway had bumped into the temporal prime directive, more than once. "It's better if you just ignore it," according to her. Cheesy

Straker and Wonder Woman, you write it, I'll read it! Wink

Denise,

Picard had so many of those moments, truly inspiring! Smiley

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #39 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
I always loved Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman!  I don't think I could do it if I had to stay true to the comics, since I never read them nor wanted to.  I wanted to be Wonder Woman when I grew up!  (Although I think the show only ran one or two seasons.)  I'll have to see if I can get it on Netflix and revisit that universe.  Yes, Matt, the idea of looking Straker directly in the eye is a tempting one, and actually one I've done before (The Bodyguard.)  Hmmm.  Another flying woman.  Do I perceive a pattern here?  Huh

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #40 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Well, since Doug and Tony are time travelers, them running into SHADO would definitely work, either a few years into their future at SHADO's start, or in 1980, when SHADO is operational.

And I agree Pam's UFO/Dallas story was great. She has such a great handle on the characters as well as the premise that the basis of the plot of a crossover must stem from the characters themselves.

It's just plain boring to read about a 'verse with a crisis where the crossover characters only show up to save the day - or have sex. Unless you're just into plotless sex romps. Shocked

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #41 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Librarian wrote on Mar 14th, 2011 at 7:03pm:
I just can't get my head around even trying a modern CSI or Law & Order cross with U.F.O. - although it's been done.  (Although Straker and Jackson vs Goren and Eames would be a hoot.)

Pam did a good job with them, but it was sad that her take made Straker so old.  I wish there was a way to do a L&O:CI/UFO crossover with both shows in the same time period.  But as those who attempt to put UFO in the present have found, the mind set of the characters changes with that shift.  There's no way to get around it.  Undecided

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #42 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Librarian wrote on Mar 14th, 2011 at 8:30pm:
Unless you're just into plotless sex romps. Shocked

Yuchtar's the queen of those!   And boy, are they fun!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #43 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I always loved Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman!

Me too, and I liked her in other things as well. The show ran three seasons. One season set durring WW2 and two set in the late seventies. Like I said, a crossover would be a hoot! I don't think Straker was that old in Pam's Dallas story as it would have been set in the 1980's.

Quote:
But as those who attempt to put UFO in the present have found, the mind set of the characters changes with that shift.

I whole heartedly agree with that. A Straker that grew up forty years later is going to have a much different outlook than the original, same with the rest of the characters.

Quote:
Well, since Doug and Tony are time travelers, them running into SHADO would definitely work, either a few years into their future at SHADO's start, or in 1980, when SHADO is operational.

And I agree Pam's UFO/Dallas story was great. She has such a great handle on the characters as well as the premise that the basis of the plot of a crossover must stem from the characters themselves.

Right on Deb, A really well done crossover is true to both universes. Not easy to do.

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #44 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
But as those who attempt to put UFO in the present have found, the mind set of the characters changes with that shift.  There's no way to get around it.  Undecided

There's just something 'sweet' about the 70's view of the 80's that can't be captured when moving the characters to the present. The only more recent series with even a fraction of that 'sweetness' was Lois & Clark TNAoS. Which may be why it felt so natural for Straker and Company to be wandering around that universe grumbling about being the 'Men in Black'. Plus the technology differences were easy enough to get around - EPRAD was sending up a manned space habitat with civilians. Not gonna' happen here any time soon.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo