SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Maelstrom (Chapter One) FDK (Read 8114 times)
Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Re: The Maelstrom (Chapter One) FDK
Reply #15 - Mar 12th, 2011 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
I enjoyed it! I do intend to go back and read it again when I'm not so pressed for time. Way to go Keith! That wasn't a bad pairing. Much better than Paul. Wink

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Yuchtar
Lieutenant

Where are my glasses?

Re: The Maelstrom FDK
Reply #16 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Hey, y'all!! I'm crawling out from under my rock to jot down some notes about The Maelstrom ...

Well, first I had to download the story from the Library and convert it to PDF so I could load it onto my Kindle. Reading from the computer screen gives me a headache and I adore my Kindle. It is kind of a long story - is it actual novel length or novella? Regardless, I never felt it was a chore to read - it didn't drag on and believe me, I've read some books that seemed ENDLESS. (Thinking of that dreadful Life of William Marshall book I had to read for British History class <shudder>)

Anyway, I digress ...

The first note I made was in chapter one - hyperdrive in atmosphere? Really? I don't think so. But, ya know, that was resolved in chapter 2. Wink Trying not to drop many spoilers, but some are inevitable ...

Heh heh, the line about Straker's flight suit 'clinging to his body like silver sweat' struck me as so Chandleresque - I got a kick out of several such lines in the story. (Like later there is one that reads: 'She faded into the spotless linoleum like floor cleaner' - LOL!)  Smiley

Some of the slang words used were not in my dictionary, but some were - very strange what is included in my dictionary and what isn't.

I thought the fountain pen collection was inspired.

There was a sentence that reads: '... all attired in what might have been actors in costumes awaiting their cue to take the stage.' It doesn't really make sense the way it's worded.

I questioned George and Algernon having the same last name - not sure gay marriage is legal in Britain, but a legal name change doesn't require a legal marriage, so it's kind of a moot point.

When Jay is stopped by Algernon and pipes up with 'I'm Jewish, keep that in mind,' I had to smirk - I mean, did he REALLY think that would somehow protect him? LOL! He was such a creep.

Shocked  But when Algernon does what he does, I was like, WHOA, WTF?! A bit shocking. Not sure how I feel about that. It might have been for the best, but still .... I dunno ...

'He was an elephant being asked to clean up his own shit!' ROFLMAO!

I'm not sure I like Straker tossing Frances' letter into the fire. I guess the Anglican church is pretty much Catholicism without the Pope. Therefore, suicide would be considered a mortal sin and so Angel would be upset to think his wife was in Hell and I can understand that.

When Straker is talking with Claire about Devon, he says she 'murdered' him. I thought that was a bit heartless - she killed him in self defense.

Oh, and Ford asking Lake out on a date? LOL! That was so sweet!

Um, I didn't really understand how Straker was ... well, brought back to life after the fire. That kind of confused me. (And yeah, THAT is a major spoiler - sorry).

Over all, I enjoyed this. I know that I'm weird and yes, I'm a smutty-minded perv with a certain reputation to uphold, but this was absolutely the slashiest story without consummation I've ever read! I soooooooooooooooooooooooo wanted Ed and Alec to just hop into bed and get it over with. LOL! But I am all about the comic relief and the two of them going at each other was fun. Oh, and that crack about killing Alec with the electric razor being more difficult was HILARIOUS - LOL! That one had me giggling.

Now, I have discussed the use of 'a' and 'an' with Amelia before and she has gotten much better with that - I only found one or maybe two 'a-an' mistakes in this one. The one I remember was with the word 'hour.' 'A' should be used before a word that begins with a consonant and 'an' should be used before a word that begins with a vowel, but while 'hour' begins with a consonant, it SOUNDS like it begins with a vowel.

But, Amelia, I really would not stress about that. There are not many exceptions like that and minor things like this are hardly noticed by a reader. When I think of some of the MANY really bad typos and other mistakes found in mainstream, store bought novels these days, I could just cringe.

Anyway, the whole concept of The Maelstrom was very interesting and I wouldn't mind seeing it explored further, so, um ... started on the next one yet, have you????? Hmmmm?

Smiley 

Yeah, I'm a smutty-minded perv - what of it?
IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #17 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
I've edited the 'a hour' to 'an hour' for Amelia (Search and replace is SO helpful.)  Smiley

I'm embarrassed that I didn't catch it.

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #18 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Librarian wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:04pm:
I've edited the 'a hour' to 'an hour' for Amelia (Search and replace is SO helpful.)  Smiley

I too found it quite helpful when I had to go back through all my stories and replace the alrights with the correct term all right. Embarrassed But that is why they put erasers on pencils! Cheesy

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #19 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 3:04am
Print Post  
'Alright' is a perfectly acceptable alternative word for the phrase 'all right.'  Why would you feel the need to change it?  Huh

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #20 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Hi, Yuchtar!   Smiley  Nice to hear from you!

IP Logged

Yuchtar
Lieutenant

Where are my glasses?

Reply #21 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Hey hey! Okay, I am such a NOOB - how do I quote earlier posts? And how do I insert those smilies? (The smilies in my post above were automatically converted from the text, but I don't know the text for the more unusual smilies)

Anyway, I don't get over here often enough. Real life has me spazzing out a little.

Quote:
Hi, Yuchtar!  Nice to hear from you!

Okay, playing around - that should be a quote, right?

And this should be a ROFL smiley - Heh, just had to check out the buttons. 

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #22 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Well, technically, alright would be a contraction of 'all right' in the vein of 'already'. But 'already' does have a slightly different meaning than 'all ready', so the equivalency doesn't work as well as it might. So some of us prefer 'all right'.  Huh

And just so you all know, when quoting, the smilies don't come out right so you have to manually replace them.

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #23 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 3:37am
Print Post  
Librarian wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:04pm:

I worship at the feet of search and replace. Search and Replace is second only to chocolate ice cream in my book.

Thank you, Deborah!

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #24 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 3:44am
Print Post  
Neesierie wrote on Mar 25th, 2011 at 3:04am:
'Alright' is a perfectly acceptable alternative word for the phrase 'all right.'  Why would you feel the need to change it?  Huh

I found the correction in one of the online grammar guides. (Matt just opened a can of worms! Shocked Runs away to hide. Cheesy)

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Re: The Maelstrom FDK
Reply #25 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 4:49am
Print Post  
Sorry if Yuchtar spoiled it for people still reading it. Don't read her or my comments if you're still reading it.

Tags :  Insanity, dirty laundry, FOR SALE, (tied to corpse's toe) and HALF OFF. (which describes Alec's wishes for his date's attire.  Cheesy

SPOILERS!

Quote:
The first note I made was in chapter one - hyperdrive in atmosphere? Really? I don't think so. But, ya know, that was resolved in chapter 2. Wink Trying not to drop many spoilers, but some are inevitable ...

The Sejong and the weapon are real. The propulsion system is different.

Quote:
Heh heh, the line about Straker's flight suit 'clinging to his body like silver sweat' struck me as so Chandleresque - I got a kick out of several such lines in the story. (Like later there is one that reads: 'She faded into the spotless linoleum like floor cleaner' - LOL!)  Smiley

When metaphors and similes are that funny or sublime, they're my husband's.

Quote:
I thought the fountain pen collection was inspired.

So did Phillip!
Quote:
There was a sentence that reads: '... all attired in what might have been actors in costumes awaiting their cue to take the stage.' It doesn't really make sense the way it's worded.

That's a huge bleeping boo boo sentence. Comes from rushing to the fire scenes.

Quote:
I questioned George and Algernon having the same last name - not sure gay marriage is legal in Britain, but a legal name change doesn't require a legal marriage, so it's kind of a moot point.

Researched. They have a legal partnership, which is legal, and Algernon took George's family name.
Quote:
When Jay is stopped by Algernon and pipes up with 'I'm Jewish, keep that in mind,' I had to smirk - I mean, did he REALLY think that would somehow protect him? LOL! He was such a creep.

He thought he'd play the race card to foil Algernon. Fail.
Quote:
Shocked  But when Algernon does what he does, I was like, WHOA, WTF?! A bit shocking. Not sure how I feel about that. It might have been for the best, but still .... I dunno ...

Yeah. Algernon was fed up, and he knew Straker and Hannah had to be protected. Note that Straker had his reservations about Alec asking Ginny to invoke the Aegis clearance. Straker was relieved, but he made his displeasure known. Alec's right, the press would have threatened Straker big time.'

He was an elephant being asked to clean up his own shit!' ROFLMAO!
That line was DIRECT from Algernon. I didn't have to think twice. I didn't invent that. he said it. Beautiful rare moment of char leading me. Look for more from Algernon.
Quote:
Oh, and Ford asking Lake out on a date? LOL! That was so sweet!

[color=#ff00ff]I owed Ford for always making him the nervous nellie. So I gave him a beloved late grandfather (which I had) Whether he has an affair with Ginny I don't know. I doubt it. She can introduce him to the pilot who filled in for Carlin that Straker recommended as a Interceptor/SkyDiver pilot

Quote:
I soooooooooooooooooooooooo wanted Ed and Alec to just hop into bed and get it over with. LOL! But I am all about the comic relief and the two of them going at each other was fun.

I actually considered that a compliment. I see Alec and Ed as close as two guys in the trenches,  missiles flying overhead, having seen it all, love one another like father son or brothers and dependent on one another for physical and emotional survival, at polar opposites but with respect. (and something devastating to Alec is coming soon in my sequel, something he's only gone thru once before, and he'll have to go to Ed for help and Ed's never seen Alec genuinely upset and it shakes him )  That's the beauty of UFO, you can interpret it the way you like. Nothing is wrong. Nothing is right. Oh, and that crack about killing Alec with the electric razor being more difficult was HILARIOUS - LOL! That one had me giggling.
That one was mine. (looks at husband triumphantly) Grin   Actually if Straker was serious, that would have REALLY hurt!    Grin Gillette electric razor, a close shave for your second-in-command. Wait, what UK brands are out there? Wilkerson? (thank Gawd for the UK secret research sources my hubby procured for moi)But, Amelia, I really would not stress about that.

NOWWWWWW she tells me  Grin
Anyway, the whole concept of The Maelstrom was very interesting and I wouldn't mind seeing it explored further, so, um ... started on the next one yet, have you????? Hmmmm?

Ed and I have been discussing it haven't hit the pc keys yet, we're on holiday with Nans. I pray it won't be that long length!  CheesyI'm still developing the Maelstrom and their abilities.(as I told Yuchtar, they have advanced healing of their own outside of a maelstrom joining which is why perry gives Colin a hard time when he's modest) I always have other ideas simmering, I was writing the Librarian about two to get her viewpoint. First I may have to rework the silkwood/maelstrom saga  to improve it and/or make it palatable to first time readers(or so some Superman fan suggested to me, or should I say 'certain person')
I have to see if I can find that mermaid I liked so much in the superman comic books. I never liked Lana or Lois.

Att Deborah http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lori_Lemaris

Oh and Denise, I have disrespected and messed Straker up some, just look at my Straker SLURP java avatar  Grin (made by my husband)

Yuchtar?
A alien Klingon shouldn't be dissing and an wourds mah work an lot  lawth innerseptors!  Grin

p.s. my husband hates coding.

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #26 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 4:49am
Print Post  
We all have different bugaboos - I have the well justified nickname on another board as the 'Queen of the Split Inifinitive' - 'To boldly go' is , in my book, lousy Latin but perfectly good English. Actually, you can't split an infinitive at all in Latin. The Romance languages don't create their infinitives by adding 'to' in front of the verb. Neither does German from what I remember from WAY back when.

I drive the General Editors over there crazy when they do the final run through before my stuff goes into their archive.  :Smiley

IP Logged

Yuchtar
Lieutenant

Where are my glasses?

Reply #27 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Quote:
Yuchtar?
A alien Klingon shouldn't be dissing and an wourds mah work an lot  lawth innerseptors!

Er, what now? You typing with your mouth full again? Wink

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #28 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 5:44am
Print Post  
Amelia,
I think your avatar rocks!   Smiley  I don't see any disrespect there.

I finished Maelstrom.  So much occurred from start to end that I'll need a bit to process it all.  But I enjoyed the ride!  Grin  I'm glad you're considering a sequel!

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #29 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Consider the sequel 'request' seconded. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo