SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: What do you want to see in the new film? (Read 31159 times)
Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Re: What do you want to see in the new film?
Reply #90 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
That would be good news, the general feeling I've been getting is it's going to focus on a Foster/Lake pairing. In order for that to work, they would have to do something different with Ginny than they did in the series. And the biggest concern of all is not having Straker in the lead role. Without that they risk losing the original fan base. Sad

Maybe that is what Gerry is thinking. :Smiley

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Steve Gerard
Recruit

Reply #91 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
I think it will take time to do it right. If Gerry Anderson is a consultant on this film, I have to believe he will make sure that all the original characters are in place for SHADO to still be properly defined by it's personnel. Huh

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #92 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Hiya Steve - unfortunately, I already assume any movie will not be SHADO as we know and love it.  Cry Though, that is not necessarily a problem for me if the writing is good, the plot is gripping and the actors can act! In fact, I don't really want Straker / Foster / Lake et al re-imagined because the show can't be the way when I was fresh to it 40 years ago.

It's nice that Gerry Anderson is a consultant of sorts, but I can't see him having much say in what the script does - or anything else. Does he still own rights to the show or characters? How often do we read about fairly clout-ful directors and producers having to bow down to the Powers That Be (mostly accountants) at the studios and being forced to change characters / re-cast characters / re-write scripts / slash budgets, etc.

I don't hold out much hope for the movie... but otoh, I did enjoy the Star Trek movie so it can be done. I'd love a story where a young Straker and Freeman (and Henderson?!  Cheesy ) first get together to kick ass... but as Foster has already been cast (iirc) I doubt that'll happen.

And does the original fanbase really matter? I'd like the answer to be yes but are there enough of us to make or break a movie's success? I don't think so. Sadly. I think the DVD sets sold fairly well but how many of those purchases were just because it was old sci-fi which had a good reputation and the price was right?

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #93 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
And does the original fanbase really matter? I'd like the answer to be yes but are there enough of us to make or break a movie's success? I don't think so. Sadly. I think the DVD sets sold fairly well but how many of those purchases were just because it was old sci-fi which had a good reputation and the price was right?

I would hope so too, but you are probably right. The fandom is quite small when you put it up against Star Trek or Star Wars. I do hold out hope that they can do at least as well as was done with Star Trek 2009. Undecided

IP Logged

Steve Gerard
Recruit

Reply #94 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
UFO movie must be done right, unlike Thunderbirds 2004 movie that was basically SpyKids and not about rescue missions.
  S.H.A.D.O. needs to be an organization that is more than an identification card carried by it's personnel. Cry We saw the F.B.I. agents showing their identification card in the X-Files. S.H.A.D.O. must be much more than that. It must have a secret HQ and advanced vehicles. Cool
  I read that the UFO movie director was a fan of the original series, if it is made we will see how much S.H.A.D.O. resembles the original organization. Undecided

IP Logged

Lee Homer
Lieutenant

Long Live UFO

Reply #95 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
If the UFO movie was to go ahead. I would at least have the events from Identified, The Computer Affair, Reflections In The Water (Because of the huge UFO attack at the end) and The Phsycobombs. I would even love the film to be abit like "Invasion:UFO" which was released in 1981 but apart from the rubbish intro credits and with the same but modenised librbary Smiley music.

I don't want to see Foster's Hairy chest if anything and I don't want Alec to be in turtle neck sweaters all the time. He could do so much better of he wore a waistcoat and a t-shirt Smiley

If Sky One was real....I'd be flying it right about now

IP Logged

Steve Gerard
Recruit

Reply #96 - Jul 4th, 2011 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Lee Homer wrote on Apr 20th, 2011 at 7:36pm:
If the UFO movie was to go ahead. I would at least have the events from Identified, The Computer Affair, Reflections In The Water (Because of the huge UFO attack at the end) and The Phsycobombs.

Absolutely agree, those episodes along with "Timelash". Wink

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #97 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Well, the movie website hasn't been updated in ages except to say they're still working on it.

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Steve Gerard
Recruit

Reply #98 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
I read that at a convention during this Summer the UFO movie director appeared via video to say the movie is still in pre-production and going ahead. Undecided

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #99 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
That's good news - It would be nice if they'd update their website from time to time.

IP Logged

Steve Gerard
Recruit

Reply #100 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Librarian wrote on Sep 30th, 2011 at 3:59pm:
That's good news - It would be nice if they'd update their website from time to time.

I absolutely agree with you. Their website should not be left dormant. Smiley

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #101 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
I heard something to the fact that they need to recast Foster. Not sure if that is true. Undecided

They need to, "Get 'er done!" Grin

IP Logged

Steve Gerard
Recruit

Reply #102 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
status of UFO movie...a holding pattern: Undecided
according to DragonCon 2011

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #103 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
That does not bode well. I don't think I've ever seen a movie production that went into a 'holding pattern' ever get finished. At least not with the originally contracted director and cast.  Cry

IP Logged

Steve Gerard
Recruit

Reply #104 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Matthew Gratzner (upcoming UFO film Producer and Director) is still onboard, but when it does go beyond the pre-production stage new casting will probably be stated. It is officially still in pre-production. So there is still positives and Gratzner wants the UFO movie to look like it's origins are the original series including the theme music.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 
Add Poll Send Topic