SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) FDK Need to Know (Read 9005 times)
Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Re: FDK Need to Know
Reply #15 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 3:06am
Print Post  
Thanks guys! I'm not really sure about the next part, as the baddies have always had a shroud of mystery around them. But this does explain a few things. Smiley

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #16 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Matt,
Nice new section!  So how are you going to reconcile the upcoming air battle with the fact that Ginny hadn't seen the aliens in action before in the pilot?  (Just asking.)  Smiley

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #17 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:27am
Print Post  
That would be "telling."  Smiley

Truth be told, I'm going to bump into canon a wee bit with this one. (Bend, not break) I reviewed the script for "Identified" some time ago (Thanks again Deb) to check a few of the facts. First, to your question, it isn't clearly stated that Ginny has never seen a UFO in action, although one can make that assumption. I do, so I do have a way around that issue, as well as another which will appear later in the story.  Smiley

The other issue, and this one is a huge plothole, is, how in the world was SID able to track a UFO using standard RADAR at SOL 8 when the Utronic equipment has not yet been delivered? The UFO would be traveling faster than it's own RADAR echo. I solve this in my story lines by making the following assumptions.

1. The aliens seldom fly a direct course to Earth, rather a circular course such as the classic Hohmann orbit used by deep space probes. This reduces the relative speed to Earth to below sublight. It also explains why the interceptors missed in "Identified".

2. The SHADO tracking system was integrated in stages with most of the key components being software based. The equipment that Seagull X-Ray carried in "Identified" was most likely improved sensors for Moonbase, and the final release of the system software and firmware which could be uploaded into the system.

We also know that Straker said to Freeman that there had been a few UFO sightings, but no interceptions. I'm assuming that he meant since Moonbase and the rest of the tracking network went live. That leaves the pre-SHADO field wide open. Cheesy

More to come, hang on to your hat!

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #18 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
I knew you'd have it figured out -- at least to your satisfaction!  Wink

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #19 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Hey Denise, I just realized something. You have a story "Need to Know" in your Conover Saga. Must be great minds thinking alike, again. Wink

Just to avoid confusion, I will call this one "A Need to Know" when I send it to the library.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #20 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 2:47am
Print Post  
Hey, no worries!  There was bound to be some repeat titles from other authors with that series since I used all military terminology for those.  Now if you write a "UFO: A Fairy Tale" story, I'll sock you!  Grin

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #21 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Laughter! Grin

Nope, my imagination doesn't go there, but, tilted takes on vampires and the Mirror Universe, oh yeah!

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #22 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 2:10am
Print Post  
This next section details some of my backstory for the Straker/Henderson relationship. As is well known, I use Deb's bio for the younger version of Ed, as well as the bio for Henderson. The reference to Angel Project comes from that bio. While the bios are the same, my take on the pair takes a slightly different flavor.

I would like to thank Deb for sharing her biographies of these two for others to draw on. It makes writing this type of story much easier. Smiley

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #23 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
I think the best part of working with a group of writers who do the same fandom is when we share our "takes" with each other.  No one ever sees a person the same way someone else does, so you can get some real insight into the characters by looking at them through another's eyes.  (As long as you have an open mind, of course.)  Cool

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #24 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
So true, Denise! Just look at our different takes on Alec, you write him as a "hardened rake" where I tend to make him more of a harmless flirt. I tried writing him your way for one story and I have to admit, it was fun, especially when he said at the end, "That's it, I'm becoming a monk."

When you address characterization in that way, there really is no right or wrong. Wink

For me, I've learned quite a bit by reading the takes of others.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #25 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Which story was that?  It sounds hilarious!  I thought I'd read all your stories, but I'm not remembering that line at all.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #26 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
It was at the end of my gender bender story, A Departure from the Norm. Ed and Virginia had just finished teasing Alec about his attraction to Paul/Paula and they were walking outside when Alec spots a scantily clad actress. He comments to Ed who replies, "He's not my type."

In this case Alec truly got what he deserved. Smiley

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #27 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Oh, yes!  I remember now.  I thought it was a great scene!  I wonder why I didn't remember it?  It was such a fun way to end the story!  Grin

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #28 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 3:41am
Print Post  
Finally had the chance to catch up on the new sections.  Wonderful scene with them in the wrecked jet!  Kiss  Jackson's scene with the commander was good too.  When do we get more?  Smiley

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #29 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
I wanted to turn up the heat, but I also wanted to stay true to the series. Now you know why he always called her Colonel. Smiley

I hope to get some more written tonight, I'm almost finished with the story. You'll like the pics I chose for the cover page, black & white just so captures the moment. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo