SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Q o P Alien (Read 7556 times)
Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Re: Q o P Alien
Reply #15 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
I didn't know that about the ma'am term, for me, it's automatic.

I wanted to give Ed and Ginny some common ground, so I wrote her into the story, keeping her out of sight of the camera keeping the story from breaking canon with the episode. Ginny, however wanted to rip Mary's eyeballs out! Alas, I made her behave. But it was soooo tempting! And Ed didn't have to stand alone.

Glad you enjoyed it! Smiley

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Claire
Captain

UFO the original and best!

Reply #16 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 7:44pm:
I was surprised when they didn't continue it, but there were several inconsistances concerning the aliens throughout the series. Again, I don't think Gerry envisioned anyone examining the series so closely, some forty years later.

That's a good plotline to follow for your story.

No <chuckle> I don't suppose he did.

IP Logged

Claire
Captain

Reply #17 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:31pm:
I didn't know that about the ma'am term, for me, it's automatic.

I wanted to give Ed and Ginny some common ground, so I wrote her into the story, keeping her out of sight of the camera keeping the story from breaking canon with the episode. Ginny, however wanted to rip Mary's eyeballs out! Alas, I made her behave. But it was soooo tempting! And Ed didn't have to stand alone.

Glad you enjoyed it! Smiley

I more than enjoyed it Matt, I think it was a nice touch putting her in there and keeping her off camera as it were.  We didn't get to see what happened at the other end where the transporter actually was, it was inspired.  Ginny here and I are cut from the same cloth, I wanted to rip Mary's eyeballs out AND pull her arms off and hit her with the soggy end <sorry>

Ref the ma'am thing, nope our guys don't do that.  American men in the UK do though, just to confuse the issue.  I worked for Raytheon Corporate (SHADO undercover) jets years ago out of Kansas but I was here, in Deeside north Wales where I was living at the time, and we had American guys over, they were SO nice.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #18 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I more than enjoyed it Matt, I think it was a nice touch putting her in there and keeping her off camera as it were.  We didn't get to see what happened at the other end where the transporter actually was, it was inspired.  Ginny here and I are cut from the same cloth, I wanted to rip Mary's eyeballs out AND pull her arms off and hit her with the soggy end <sorry>

Ref the ma'am thing, nope our guys don't do that.  American men in the UK do though, just to confuse the issue.  I worked for Raytheon Corporate (SHADO undercover) jets years ago out of Kansas but I was here, in Deeside north Wales where I was living at the time, and we had American guys over, they were SO nice.

Amelia really wanted me to do it, let Ginny at her that is, and I've toyed with the idea of writing an alternate ending, just for fun. :Smiley But Mary wasn't worth tarnishing Ginny's reputation as a lady. Kiss

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

We need to defend ourselves...

Reply #19 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
actually, we do - if the ladies in question are wearing crowns or coronets...  Wink

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

Reply #20 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 7:44pm:
I was surprised when they didn't continue it, but there were several inconsistances concerning the aliens throughout the series. Again, I don't think Gerry envisioned anyone examining the series so closely, some forty years later.

That's a good plotline to follow for your story.

it's funny you should say that but I do cover why, in Destruction, the Aliens seem hell-bent on wiping out the whole human race...

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #21 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
That's been speculated on as well, it has been suggested that there is more than one faction of aliens. Same planet, different country? :Smiley

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #22 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
MkIXHawk wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:53pm:
actually, we do - if the ladies in question are wearing crowns or coronets...  Wink

On this side of the pond, it's different, if I don't know them, or know them well, it's yes sir, or yes ma'am. These days the automatic yes ma'am has gotten me into trouble with some of the younger ladies, who think that calling them ma'am implies that they are over the hill. Grin

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

Reply #23 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:59pm:
That's been speculated on as well, it has been suggested that there is more than one faction of aliens. Same planet, different country? :Smiley

That was one of the 'taster' excerpts I published last year

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #24 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
A number of people have used the idea that SHADO was dealing with more than one 'racial' or 'political' group on the alien planet.

And there are other explanations - In QoP, the alien seems to be trying to communicate with SHADO, then 'gives up and goes out to die' when the other craft shows up.

But what if the motive for the alien using SHADO's frequency was to lure one or more senior officers out there to be killed? Attacking the mobiles would simply alert SHADO that it had been a trap whose bait hadn't been as effective as needed. The alien was killed to keep him from falling into SHADO's hands and to give weight to the idea that there were 'friendly' factions. Something they might be able to use in the future.

And in ESP - Croxley appears to be channeling an alien who doesn't understand why they're under attack - but the aliens deliberately targeted Croxley's house to kill his wife. And they don't understand why humans are so against them?  Shocked

As to the aging issue - while the first captured alien may have been a 'real' alien and reverted to his true age when exposed to Earth's atmosphere, but what if the other 'aliens' were captured humans - brain-wiped cannon fodder - and so were not only younger, but 'immune' to Earth's toxins.

Hey, I write Perl - if there's only one solution, you're not trying hard enough. Grin

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #25 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Librarian wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 10:23pm:
Hey, I write Perl - if there's only one solution, you're not trying hard enough. Grin

LOL!  That's what I love most about writing -- the infiinite possibilities!  Smiley

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Claire
Captain

Reply #26 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 9:08am
Print Post  
MkIXHawk wrote on Apr 11th, 2011 at 8:53pm:

Yes but ONLY those wearing crowns or coronets, the Queen for example but not for the general public.  In the armed services here it's the rank usually.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo