SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) FDK Absence (Read 10051 times)
Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Re: FDK Absence
Reply #30 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
The finished story is now up on my website, although I'm still tweaking it a bit. I'll be sending the link to the library later this week.

I hope to tackle my notes on the story as well. Smiley

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #31 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Let me know when the final version is up.  I'd like to read it again.  Glad to know that you have so many plots in your head!  We'll see how long my muse lets me rest before my next plot hits me!  :Smiley

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #32 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
I think I'm good now but I'll read it in place in a couple of days and see if I missed anything. Smiley

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #33 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Nice recap of the story in your author's notes, Matt!  One question: how did you manage to keep it brief?  Mine tend to go on forever!  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #34 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 1:35am
Print Post  
I try to focus on what I feel the most important points are. Some of my stories have longer notes than others. I don't think a long recap is a bad thing, at least for me.  Wink

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Re: FDK Absence/Maelstrom/att: Deborah
Reply #35 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
here's your essay: Grin
My husband has a Scully leather binder he picked up in a thrift store I write longhand in. I have two Levenger circas I keep our budget in and put my notes in. Generally I carry that with me wherever I go. Levenger circa was introduced to us by Nans, it really is great for writers. You can get circas cheaper on E-Bay. Because we spend a lot of time in bed (no not that, Diane ) we just hand one another the binder or the circa. We're talking constantly. We have our reference books with us. We have mutual respect for one another, we recognize the other's abilities. We don't worry that much about who did what. although I hate his metaphors giggle he's so much better at them. he wrote "Alec suddenly was a jukebox someone had put a bunch of quarters in. "
I just sat there and stared at him  Grin In the scene, a character has personal information on Straker that Alec REALLY wants to hear. Straker has other ideas. Grin

My husband says that how we work isn't substantial enough for an essay. He thinks maybe what writers use is better, and you don't need an essay for that. You could ask writers(and we ALL are writers NOT just fanfic writers) what do they use? Paper? Pens? What brands? Why? research materials? Research books? (I have some left from my writers digest class I took ) My husband uses research people  Grin
I had a reader of my White Roses story tell me she thought I was a nurse. I write angst, I use a lot of medical books. Unfortunately we know first hand about some drugs. Chuckle.

I asked Nans to look into something for you, Denise. I won't go into real detail because I can't promise anything. It would involve a professional writing team.
I'm also trying to drag Nans on here, to tell how she beta's.
Finally, Ed (that's my husband's real name) and I are leaving FanFiction and dropping our suitcases at Deborah's feet. Grin We discuss all our writing issues with Deborah, and personal issues as well. My husband is the one who sent Alien to Deborah. He's also the brave one who wrote to Sara Paretsky about Prince and The Pumps. It was my gift to my husband.  I'd been worried about a copyright issue. My reaction to that was : AAaaaaaaaaaaAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.  Grin
I wish I still had her e-mail to us. Deborah will verify it. Sara said (not verbatim) that she was glad someone else liked Victoria enough to use her too.
Note from Mr. Write Rat I wish you'd discuss copyright for fanfic writers, Deborah. As you know, it was a recent problem for us. I'd like to see an article discussing what you feel makes a good fan-fic piece.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #37 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 3:33am
Print Post  
That's so cool that you are able to do that. I don't write long hand, the information flows from my head right to the computer, via my fingers. *grin* I read White Roses sometime last year. I like crossover stories, I've written one and I'm working on a second. They can be loads of fun!  Smiley

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #38 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Hello peeps  Smiley

Great party you got going here.  Cool

I find "how people write" a really interesting topic and this discussion is fascinating. I've been reading some of the later Sue Grafton "Alphabet" books (Kinsey Millhone) recently and while checking on something else on her website, I found her journal notes that she makes while writing. They give an insight into how her mind works as she's structuring / writing her books.

http://www.suegrafton.com/journalnotes.htm

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #39 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Hi Normandie. That reminded me of an assignment I was given in one of my classes. You needed to choose a book, and then define how the author achieved his purpose in his stories. I chose Stephen King. I said one of the things King does is use familiar settings, and use brand names casually. So he creates a familiar world for the reader  to feel safe in before he scares the piss out of you. The reader may think:
"Oh yeah, I drink coke, and yeah, I like that rock song too, and yeah - Shocked SmileyOh my Goddddddddddddd!!"

I didn't use the word piss Grin

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #40 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Amelia,
Thanks for the brief essay!  It's a topic that could stand being written about, that's for sure.  I think it would be intriguing to put together an essay on how today's fanfic writers write, so I hope you won't mind if I quote you when I mention team writing.  (Please say yes!)  Smiley

Matt,
Feel free to comment further on how you write, where, and using what tools.  I'd love to quote you too!

Dragon?
Feel like chiming in and letting the world know how you do your writing?

Deb,
Please tell us your secrets as well.  For posterity, of course!  Smiley

Thanks all!  You've got my brain going now, so I guess I'd better get an outline written for the essay!  Grin
-Denise

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #41 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Take what you want. Thank you for asking.  Smiley

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #42 - Mar 2nd, 2011 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
I'll put my thinking cap on, now we're in trouble! Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo