SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Paul Foster (Read 17248 times)
Neesierie
Ex Member

Re: Paul Foster
Reply #15 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Paul's contribution to the show was definitely for eye candy and for the action scenes.  Younger and more physical than the other two 'leaders' of SHADO, he was perfect for it.  And the girls liked him, especially the teenage girls who weren't old enough to find his cockiness annoying.  The reason fanfic writers have trouble seeing him as anything but an ambitious and arrogant prig is the poorly executed episodes that make him appear that way.  'Psychobombs' is an episode in point, where even after repeated watchings, you really have no clear idea why he brought Linda to HQ.  You can read whatever you like into the episode, but looking at what is actually onscreen there isn't a clue.  Which is a problem with poor writing and directing, not a problem with the character. 

I tend to base my opinion of him on Straker's own assessment, seen over the course of the season.  He saw potential in him and was obviously grooming him for eventual command.  So, in spite of poorly written and directed scripts, that's how I see him as well.

When I wrote the 'Conover Saga' I had not seen all the episodes for years, and had only recently gotten the videos.  So I saw Paul more as I remembered him from the final episodes, where he was more Straker's right hand man, and I portrayed him in that more mature manner.

However, later sagas and stories I wrote suffered by my exposure to the DVDs, when I watched the episodes back to back often enough to really be annoyed by his character.  As with Ginny Lake, it was more the fault of the writers than the actual portrayal of the character.  The actors did the best with what they had, and considering that they were given only one take per scene, I think they did an exemplary job. 

I pick on Paul a lot, simply because he's such an idiot most of the time (especially in the early episodes where he flies off the handle so easily.)  But he can be a very strong character when written well (as seen in some of the later episodes), and I hope enough fanfic writers have realized that so that his image in the fanfic world isn't completely downgraded to buffoon. 

My personal favorite story about him is one of my own from the Conover Saga: 'Chain of Command.'  (But that may also be because I thoroughly enjoyed doing a remake of 'The Maltese Falcon.')  However, it still remains in my mind as one of his shining moments in fanfic history, and I'm proud to have been able to give him that.  My second favorite is Yuchtar's 'Overexposed,' where we see a much more mature and intriguing Foster (as well as getting to enjoy a threesome with him and Straker and Gina!)  See?  He's excellent eye candy.  Cheesy 

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #16 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
I'll have to read "Chain of Command, as I've tried to portray Paul as mature in the second half of the "Soul Mates Saga" as well as the "Hewett Series".  Wink

It always helps to have another point of view. Wink

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #17 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Just thinking about one of my stories... Just Another Day.  the April Fool Story. that was definitely influenced by other fanfic writers... I can't actually remember whose stories either.. both involving Pauls prediliction for  practical jokes.. the second story had Straker playing a trick on Paul, but those stories were based on St Patricks Day I think.. (Do you celebrate St PAts day with practical jokes ?  We don't, here.)

Anyway. those definitely influenced me. (ALthough I thoroughly enjoyed writing Just Another Day!|)

And now..unfortunately, I am rewriting DarkMattters 3 and making Alec more amenable to taking over command.. He is actually very good at it as well!

I need some air.
IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Always knew he would be.  He'd certainly be an easier boss than Straker in many ways.  But he doesn't have the brilliance needed to go up against the aliens for long.  He'll have to rely on his tenacity and sheer doggedness to keep Earth safe.

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #19 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Absolutely! Got it in one!

Alec... dogged and determined. It wouldplay havoc with his flirting, but I really think he could do the job. Wouldn't like the isolation that it brought though. he wouldn't be able to be as 'detached' as Straker, and that might well affect his efficiency, but he would be able to deal with Henderson (as proved in Kill Straker)

NO...NO NO NO.. NOT another plot bunny...Quick.. someone get the terriers in to catch the damn thing!

I need some air.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #20 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
I'll breakout the greyhounds! Cheesy

IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Hi,

so I broke out the DVD and watched the sequence:

Quote:
FOSTER: Commander, I can't explain why I did it. I believe she's innocent, but to bring her back here...

STRAKER: Forget it Paul. In the end it was my decision.

That's pretty clear, especially when you watch how dazed he walks into the control room, as if just coming to.

The girl leaves the cell on her own, no help needed, btw.

Also btw - Bishop had a bad wig and a bad 5-o'clock-shadow day in this episode, several times he looked positively unkempt.  Grin

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #22 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Rats,I'll have to watch that tomorrow now.

Bad hair day eh?
  Wink

I need some air.
IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Hi Louise,

well, during that scene he looks as if he hadn't showered, combed and shaved for 2 days...  Shocked

IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Sorry, it's not clear.  Ask any of a host of UFO fans and they'll all give you a different interpretation of this episode.  Why?  Because it's basically a mess.  Nothing is explained, and certainly not why she doesn't end up blowing the place up, but only succeeds in electrocuting herself when she connects the cables.  And that poor writing is part of the reason why this episode tends to spark lots of rewrites in fanfic.  I've done it myself.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #25 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
When Linda was being held in the room after Ginny had grilled her, we see her approach the guard who warns her to stay back. He fires a warning shot and then the scene breaks to the control room. The door in room 22 could not be opened from the inside, so we have to assume that Linda forced the door open after overpowering the guard.

If the woman had psychic ablities why did she not just hypmotize the cell guard before he fired his weapon.?

I agree with Denise, it's subject to interpetation. Wink

IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Hi Denise,

sorry, I disagree. That sentence is very straightforward. The acting as well.

As to why she doesn't send up HQ in an explosion, I so far always assumed that this is because unlike with the Skydiver and unlike with the power plant the main power goes down when she rips those cables out of the wall.  Also, if I remember correctly, the controlling UFO was shot down the moment she tried her trick :Smiley

I agree it's a sloppily written episode, but not as bad as you make it out to be.

Hi Matt,

Quote:
If the woman had psychic ablities why did she not just hypmotize the cell guard before he fired his weapon.?

As we do not see her kill the guard, we also do not know how she got out. She may have done just about anything, including influencing the mechanism.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Yes, well.  But you're merely 'assuming' things from what you saw in the episode.  You have no hard facts, since none of your assumptions are explained in the episode itself.  So your interpretation of the episode is only valid as an opinion.  You can disagree all you want with other fans' interpretations, but you'd be smarter to first accept that your view is also just as much your own interpretation as theirs is.

IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Hi Denise,

you may not spell it out, but you are ALSO quite simply assuming and interpreting.

Unlike you, however, I am willing to suspend disbelief while watching SF and I am willing (and capable) of filling holes in the narrative with what leads from A to B in a logical manner.

This means - for example:

The woman could repeat what the other two did - to - the  HQ doesn't get blown up = the power failure (which we indeed SEE) and the shot down UFO (which we get TOLD ABOUT, in quite some detail to boot!) must be the logical reasons for SHADO not being blown to bits.

It's as easy as that. Given logical thinking, I mean.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Yes, Guina, but what you don't seem to understand is that I am aware that my interpretation of the episode is subject to my understanding of what the writer and director were trying to convey, whereas you are certain that you have it correct and the rest of us are fools for not seeing it your way.  I happen to think it's foolish to assume you have everything pegged when you don't know any more than the rest of us.  So.  Want to battle it out at ten paces?  Or are you willing to allow the rest of us to interpret the show our own way?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo