SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Add Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Quick! Timeline??? (Read 6666 times)
dragon
Ex Member

Re: Quick! Timeline???
Reply #15 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Then you don't have any memories confusing you. I turned 18 after I gaduated from high school

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #16 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Sonewhere in my vast number of odd memory sticks and assorted laptops there is a tmeline I worked out for Ed, assuming that he was in MY timeline.
i need to find it.
I used it for Redacted.. which I only really wrote as an excuse to get his backstory clear in my mind.
I had another one as well somewhere , where he was married with several children... that was a fun timeline to plan!

I must be honest, it is so much easier writing as if it is 'now'. 1980 was such a long time ago. Even my stand alone stories seem to set in 2010 !

Hmmm Perhaps I should think about doing one set in 2020...

I need some air.
IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
I tend to leave the time period at 1980 and just input any technology I need from today into the story as if it belonged there.  How's that for artistic license?  Wink  Besides, the military had access to technology at least twenty years ahead of time anyway, so it's not so farfetched.  In reality, does the date really matter?

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

We need to defend ourselves...

Reply #18 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
For my story, I'm keeping to the technology that existed at the time (1970); Bloodhound Surface-to-Air Missiles, no mobile phones or police radios. It's actually an interesting challenge

IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
It would be!  I can't seem to do it myself.  After all, I've slept since then.  :Smiley  I have a hard time remembering before Google!  Cheesy  Now if I was writing a historical thesis, I'd try harder to keep it all in line with the time.  But I'm writing sci-fi fanfic, after all -- and usually changing time while I'm at it!  So I don't worry about it.  To each his own, of course.  Cool

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #20 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 7:37am
Print Post  
1970... Ashes to Ashes.. the  John Sims one with Gene Hunt...wasn't that set about then? Wow it seemed so old fashioned! the police cars and ambulances.. none of the things that we take for granted.
I admire you, MkIXHawk.. I couldn't do the research for writing in that era.. and I quite enjoy researching some things for stories. Although the good thing about Sci-fi is, as Denise says, you can always make it up! (like the theory behind the warp-drive!) still sniggering over that! Cheesy

I need some air.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo