SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Add Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Quick! Timeline??? (Read 6665 times)
dragon
Ex Member

Quick! Timeline???
May 27th, 2010 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
When was Straker in Vietnam? I need a span of years to figure something out. Helpness!!!

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Re: Quick! Timeline???
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2010 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
I got this from the Shado Library1

Captured by Viet Cong in late 1966. (History shows that South Viet Nam would have been the only place he could have been captured and escaped within the appropriate time frame. No American successfully escaped from the north or from Cambodia.)

Was injured and rescued (escaped)late 1967 by a Marine patrol. (Marine and army patrols located and rescued many American prisoners in the South.)

Is it canon that he was in Vietnam and was a POW? In which episode?

Louiise

I need some air.
IP Logged

dragon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2010 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
I suspect it was not canon, but fanon, cause I looked on wikipedia and couldn't find a mention of it. I think the shoulder wound was canon and about the only way to have received it in combat at his age was to have done a tour of duty in Vietnam. Hmm, now I have to switch the ages ... that's ok. works out a little better for some other things in this timeline ... LOL.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2010 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
I don't remember any mention of a shoulder wound in the series, so I think that's fanon as well.  Unless you have the quote handy to show me otherwise.  Wink  A lot of his back story was made up long after the series ended, and I agree with Marc Martin that in that instance, it can't be called canon.
Yours,
Denise

IP Logged

SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2010 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
In the series, there was little to nothing on Straker's back story. All we really know was that he was a full USAF colonel at the time of SHADO's founding - which is assumed to be 1970. Considering how youthful Straker appears to be in 1980 - late thirties to early forties - he was damned young for a full colonel in 1970.

The idea of the shoulder wound came from observing an episode where Bishop was supposed to be physical and he seemed to be favoring his left arm.

The claustrophobia fits in well with the idea  of Straker having been a POW. An astronaut with claustrophobia seems to be a bad idea.

Given the requirements to make colonel by 1970, Straker had to have been born prior to 1938. Serving in Nam and being a POW would have put him at the top of the promotion list for his next promotion - possibly even an early promotion, thus he could be a very young full colonel in 1970.

Other than that time requirement, everything else is pretty much open on Straker's back story. (Anyone buy the idea that Straker is actually an Immortal and so is a very young looking 50+ in 1970?)

The Administrator.
IP Logged

dragon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2010 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
an Immortal? <innocent look, studies the ceiling, the wall, anything but the questioner> As in Highlander, not this time. But the Highlanders aren't the only immies in the world, either. (Straker is a very old, very sly, vampire ... no?) LOL.

IP Logged

dragon
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2010 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
SHADO Librarian wrote on May 27th, 2010 at 8:58pm:
In the series, there was little to nothing on Straker's back story. All we really know was that he was a full USAF colonel at the time of SHADO's founding - which is assumed to be 1970. Considering how youthful Straker appears to be in 1980 - late thirties to early forties - he was damned young for a full colonel in 1970.

The idea of the shoulder wound came from observing an episode where Bishop was supposed to be physical and he seemed to be favoring his left arm.

The claustrophobia fits in well with the idea  of Straker having been a POW. An astronaut with claustrophobia seems to be a bad idea.

Given the requirements to make colonel by 1970, Straker had to have been born prior to 1938. Serving in Nam and being a POW would have put him at the top of the promotion list for his next promotion - possibly even an early promotion, thus he could be a very young full colonel in 1970.

Other than that time requirement, everything else is pretty much open on Straker's back story. (Anyone buy the idea that Straker is actually an Immortal and so is a very young looking 50+ in 1970?)

Was he really a full Colonel in 1970???? Shoot, I had him pegged at 41 in 1980, some long winded discussion on one of the lists that said he had to be that to be a colonel, time in grade, etc and that puts his birth year at 1939. (Of course, I seldom keep SHADO in the original yearage anyway, LOL.) Well, considering what I've done already, ignoring the logistics of his age isn't a problem. Getting to his Col. in 1970 could be explained by field promotions and it is very romantic to presume that he survived being a POW in Vietnam. A career officer would have been in Vietnam, even with ties to intelligence. (We kept sending Military Intelligence in to get info, even if we didn't pay much attention to it ... le sigh).

So, my background still works. and fanon is frequently as wonderful as ca on so I'm not gonna worrit about it <g>.

thank you for all the input. I really appreciate it.

d

IP Logged

SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2010 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Straker's uniform in the first episode when the Rolls was attacked was that of a full colonel. The uniform also showed Missileman and pilot's wings - an odd combination or so I'm told. Those badges meant he was a pilot AND proficient in shooting off things that go up and then land bombs on peoples heads.

(Of course, the more logical reason is that the costume department had no clue and just slapped what they had on to the costume because it looked important.)

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2010 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Deb, I like the back story that you have up for Ed! I use it as a basis for my stories as I'm writting in the original time period.

I did my own for Ginny as I pictured her a few years older than Paul. I'm working on one for Gay Ellis.

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

We need to defend ourselves...

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Interesting ideas - I'd imagined that the claustrophobia came about as a result of falling into a well as a child

IP Logged

dragon
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
falling in a well works. I believe Amelia buried him in a cave in while he was a POW in Vietnam. Doubly traumatic that way. I don't think the show ever explained it, they just saddled him with the condition.

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I ws really mean to him and had him captured by Iraqis and tortured ( not for long Denise!) but my UFO universe is set 'now'  Which will still make it the wrong date for the film!
Sorry... I simply can't write about the 1980s!

I need some air.
IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

Reply #12 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
You should worry; I'm writing in 1970!

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #13 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
1970... let me see... ah yes. I remember...vaguely!

17. what a good age!  Wink

That's probably why I can only remember it vaguely! Cheesy

That's why I'm writing in the 'now' !

I need some air.
IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

Reply #14 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
17? Ha!

I was but six!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo