SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic
Normal Topic Not Getting E-mail Notifications (Read 2749 times)
DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Not Getting E-mail Notifications
Oct 9th, 2021 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
This is weird that I didn't get a notification that you responded to my feedback. I checked it to to be notified of a reply. Maybe you could tell the librarian about this. Or maybe it's not a big deal. Anyway I've been checking this site everyday to make sure I didn't miss your story. It was worth the wait and onward now for perhaps a sequel... :Smiley

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Re: Not Getting E-mail Notifications
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Email Notifications for posts is turned on - that said, many email clients flag emails from forums as spam and may not pass them through. The better option is to get the forum's RSS feed (That little orange button on the right hand of the page near to top.) Most email clients can get RSS feeds.

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Hi Librarian,
I'm going to be really dumb about this but I don't see the RSS feed button on this page you're talking about. I'm very confused as I never had this happen before and still not sure what you're explaining to me to do. It's my reply back to a member and not spam and don't know why someone would do that, especially when I checkmarked to be notified of a reply to this topic. And I'm not sure what the RSS feed button is or what it does either. Could you try and point it out to me a bit better and explain what it does. And if I do use that am I not to check that I want to be notified of a reply. Sorry, sorry again.

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Hi Debbie,

I've never done this before, where's a 7-year old when you need one..  Shocked Call the comms expert Mjr Ford!!!  Grin

You need an RSS news reader program to suit your machine. Then you have to get it to 'Add' the web address that the little orange icon points to. That icon is at the top right of the Board Index page, and the web address appears in the usual place. I'm using a Mac so it may be a bit different for me. Good luck!

PS: Here's the RSS address you need:

https://www.shadolibrary.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=RSSrecent

(I hope!!)

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Hey SnowLeopard,
Now you see, even your reply back to me just now didn't show up as me having any messages. As I said to Librarian this is the first time anything like this happened to me, considering how many years I've been on this group. I know what was explained that a possibility someone didn't let it go through thinking it was spam but now that's a few recent responses from me that didn't go through. One to you and one to Librarian already.
Anyway, reading what you said I'm clueless about the RSS Feeder. I'm not going to try and find an RSS news reader program for my computer since I especially don't understand anything about it.
Unless the problem gets fixed somehow I'll just have to keep checking to see if I get any responses to any questions or feedback given whenever I post anything.
Although I know I got your PM to me a few weeks ago. That seemed to work.
Also I do have your private e-mail address (pretty sure I still have it) if I need to get back to you or visa versa.
Thanks for telling me what to do and telling me about that orange icon being on the board index page. I thought it was on the page with posts. No wonder I didn't see it. Even if I did understand all about the program, I don't like to add anything more to my computer for fear of bringing in a virus and such. Angry
Well at least I'll know what's going on. As long as you or any author gets my feedback that's fine with me.  Undecided

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
You must have added that link while I was typing back to you. I'll go check it out but I doubt I'm going to download a program I know next to nothing about.
Also went to that Board Index and saw the orange button Librarian referred too.  :Smiley
Thanks again SnowLeopard!
P.S. I just went to that link you gave me and it wasn't for a program. It was all gibberish, words mashed together, etc. Well it was a good shot.

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Most email clients such as Thunderbird have a built-in RSS reader - look for a link/tab called 'Feeds'.

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks again, Librarian... Honestly, I do know my way around a computer somewhat, considering all the years I've archived my own work on it on other sites but am not a techy type of person.
I can help someone at work with a word program, sometimes download apps like Acrobat Reader, Avast (which I have on my own computer), run my updates when needed, etc.
But there are a lot of places on my computer that I don't know how to get to or what those certain things do. So when something does happen to my computer I have to call up someone to have it looked at.
I still wouldn't know where to look for a link/tab called feeds on my computer to begin with, unless you mean it's on your site here.
I thank you anyway though in trying to help me out. This is probably something really simple for you and others... not so much for me. But like I mentioned to SnowLeopard I'd be afraid to download unfamiliar program to my computer anyway just to make sure I get pinged that I've got new messages to my feedback. I'll just keep doing my standard checking when I've responded to someone. Smiley

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Quote  from DebbieJ: " P.S. I just went to that link you gave me and it wasn't for a program. It was all gibberish, words mashed together, etc. Well it was a good shot."

Yep, it looked like gibberish to me - completely unformatted. The RSS reader I used seemed to sort it out though.

I take your point about unfamiliar software. I got my reader from the Apple app store, so it should be safe (I hope!)

I do my email on a Raspberry Pi, which doesn't have fancy stuff like Thunderbird, though this Mac does, of course. The big advantage is that the Pi is virus-proof - any such bug rolls over on its back and expires in confusion - the Pi runs another language entirely.

Hey Librarian, should these last few posts be moved to a separate thread somewhere? We've gone a bit OT!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic