SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic
Normal Topic No More Post Deletions (Read 1464 times)
SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

No More Post Deletions
Jun 21st, 2011 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Going back to an original rule which I never should have gotten rid of:
Posts can not be deleted except by a Mod. You may edit your posts to your heart's content but deletions must be handled by a Moderator or Admin and will be done at their (currently, my,) discretion.

This is a rule that is extremely common in message boards/forums - as most of you may know. On some boards where deletions cannot be blocked by an Admin, deleting posts is a banning office. Some boards go so far as to forbid ALL deletions, even in editing a post. The 'deleted' items have to be struckout, not erased.  Shocked

I see no need to go that far. This is a board for fiction and authors need the ability to freely edit their work.

While this should not negatively affect anyone currently posting stories or comments (everyone currently posting has been exhibiting very nice behavior), this does mean that I will no longer accede to demands for removal of posts because the poster is having a hissy fit over whatever.  Huh

Additional comments:
While the content of a post belongs to the poster (meaning no one should copy it and put their own name on it claiming it's theirs) once a post has been made to a message board/forum it has been 'published'. And the act of publishing, much like sending a letter off to the newspaper editor, means it is 'out there' and no longer in the poster's control - by posting they have voluntarily given up a certain level of control over the material in that post.

There will always be exceptions. If you find yourself in need of having a story removed because someone wants to buy it (and it's hard to sell something that's already free), wonderful. Let us know when it comes out so we can buy it.  Wink

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Re: No More Post Deletions
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 1:55am
Print Post  
We like it. We like it.
Does this mean all my old posts and Mags stories have the shelf life of nuclear waste?  Grin

This is great, we noticed some people were taking rancid food they had cooked on other stoves away, putting it on a new plate and announcing it as new and improved to the world, when it was unpalatable and stale already.

We like variety in our U-Foes writing diet, don't you?

Ed and Amelia (still cooking Fiona and Fete)

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 2:07am
Print Post  
Your posts might. They do glow in the dark.  Wink

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Yuchtar
Lieutenant

Where are my glasses?

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:30am
Print Post  
Quote:
Your posts might. They do glow in the dark.

Buahahahahahaha!

Just snorted iced tea through my nose when I read that.

Smiley

Yeah, I'm a smutty-minded perv - what of it?
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:48am
Print Post  
Are the posts members of the Red Banner Northern Fleet? The sailors glow in the dark. Grin Clancy joke. Cheesy

No more refried beans! Grin

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic