SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic UFO/Joe 90 crossover (Read 3756 times)
Lee Homer
Lieutenant

Long Live UFO

UFO/Joe 90 crossover
Apr 23rd, 2011 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
I was watching Joe 90 the other day followed by an episode of UFO and the thought just occurred to me. What if WIN helped SHADO in a mission?

I need some help as to whether I can pull it off or not? Smiley

If Sky One was real....I'd be flying it right about now

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Re: UFO/Joe 90 crossover
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
I'm not familiar with Joe 90 but I've written a crossover with Bonanza that worked quite well. Go for it! Wink

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Lee Homer
Lieutenant

Long Live UFO

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks.

Allow me to explain a bit about Joe 90 so you can familiarise yourself with the characters. Smiley

The show is about a young 9 year old boy who lives with his adopted father (Professor Mac Mclane) in a cottage. They work for WIN which stands for "World Intelligence Network" which is an agency which deals with terrorists, espionage and that. Sam Loover and Shane Weston are their bosses who assign Joe to these dangerous missions, but to carry out the missions, Joe is given specific brain pattens that enable him to do specific tasks. Mac Maclane transfers them to Joe through a machine he invented called the BIG RAT.

Then wearing these special sets of glasses, Joe uses his new transferred knowledge to carry out these dangerous missions.  Smiley I watch the episodes on Youtube and I think it's a neat little puppet show

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
My one qualm about Joe90 is (assuming the character is meant to be a real boy) is the use of a real child (even a fictional one) being programmed and put into danger.

If Joe90 is an android (which is what would make sense and is kind of inferred from the name), then you might have some interesting possibilities with SHADO personnel reacting badly to just that idea of a child being put into danger.

This is one of those cases where what works for anime or puppets may not translate well to 'live action'. But as I indicated, if Joe90 is an android, or you make him an android ala AI, then it could work nicely.

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Lee Homer
Lieutenant

Long Live UFO

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
The idea I had in mind was that Joe is a real boy like he is in the show, but he is given the brain pattens of Peter Carlin so he can pilot an important SHADO flight that is threatened by the Aliens. Just like most episode endings went in Joe 90, no one would believe that it was Joe who would do the missions.

So I'm going to try to keep it like the show would end in a sense. The reason his codename is "90" is because WIN called the BIG RAT project "Project 90." hense Joe 90 Smiley Gerry Anderson is kinda smart there Wink

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Librarian wrote on Apr 23rd, 2011 at 8:31pm:
My one qualm about Joe90 is (assuming the character is meant to be a real boy) is the use of a real child (even a fictional one) being programmed and put into danger.

Yes. Good point.

It's somewhat a question of target audience, I think. Children viewing would not see the "adults knowingly putting a child in danger" implication; they'd see their contemporary solving crimes that adults couldn't solve without "their" assistance - which would be cool in their perception.

Many children's books have the young protagonists going into danger - Phillip Pullman, Michael Morpurgo's Alex Rider 006.5 - and that's fine. But as you say, with an adult target audience, "using" a child / teenager is wrong. Especally one programmed thus removing at least a degree of free will.

IP Logged

Lee Homer
Lieutenant

Long Live UFO

Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Normandie wrote on Apr 23rd, 2011 at 9:56pm:
Librarian wrote on Apr 23rd, 2011 at 8:31pm:

Yes. Good point.

It's somewhat a question of target audience, I think. Children viewing would not see the "adults knowingly putting a child in danger" implication; they'd see their contemporary solving crimes that adults couldn't solve without "their" assistance - which would be cool in their perception.

Many children's books have the young protagonists going into danger - Phillip Pullman, Michael Morpurgo's Alex Rider 006.5 - and that's fine. But as you say, with an adult target audience, "using" a child / teenager is wrong. Especally one programmed thus removing free will.

I think that Gerry Anderson just wanted to base a show about a 9 year old boy who is the hero and my aim is to show that even a 9 year old boy can handle UFO's as well as Straker can

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 12:02am
Print Post  
I think it's doable - but the real trick to make it work is getting a plausible set up as to why SHADO would agree to work with even a super-powered kid. Everything will fall together after that.  Smiley

IP Logged

Lee Homer
Lieutenant

Long Live UFO

Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Well I do have an idea, but it'll have to in the style as Joe 90  Smiley

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Then go for it. As a 'kid's' story, it should work quite well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo