SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mary Straker (Read 11757 times)
Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Re: Mary Straker
Reply #30 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
denisefelt wrote on Jul 30th, 2010 at 4:35am:

So when I say that my creativity is limited to using characters pretty much as is from a series unless someone else gives me a different perspective, I'm only saying that I have that limit in my mind when it comes to writing.  Other writers may have completely different limits.

Denise, I don't think you are as limited as you think you are and I'll give some examples.

In the Conover Saga, you showed Virginia in a much more favorable light than the series did, a much warmer character. I know you didn't care for her all that much but you were nice to her; she didn't get Ed but she did get his brother! He was pretty cool too!

In Full Circle, I know you were working from dragon's take on Mary, so that doesn't count, however your portrayal of Joan was much warmer than how I saw her, you turned her into a very warm and caring person!

I look at characterization in three levels, the surface, the subtle, and the potential. Some may break it down even futher. I think you took Joan to her potential in full circle!

I'll tell you the same thing you told me once, "You're better than you think!" Smiley 

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #31 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
dragonhavn wrote on Jul 29th, 2010 at 6:34pm:

Hmm, UFO as anime ... <pardon the drool. cleaning up the mess.>

Matt: No, they aren't dead. There's a sequel. (Hey, at least the car wreck didn't put him in the hospital! LOL)

UFO as anime ... just think of all the special effects! Interesting concept! Wink

I'll be looking forward to the sequel! Cheesy

IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Matt!  Okay, I'm better than I think.  I'll shut up now.  Cool

IP Logged

dragon
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
<chuckle> just because whatever I'm watching at the time has a tendency to show up in what i'm writing .... <laughter>

Actually, most of the Mary stories are not xovers, except for the one ...

However, I will admit, my brain is not exactly normal in the context of leaving characters within their original context comfort zones.

I do remember being outraged at Cleveland Amory's review in TV Guide of UFO. (Hmmm, regards that sentence critically. I think my syntax order is off there.) He spoke of Ed Bishop being surrounded by a "plaster cast" of other characters. I didn't think they were particularly wooden or plaster-y at the time. (OK, Mary had issues with her writing). I did occasionally feel that they were having issues with balancing character development against hardware, but a lot of shows were struggling then. Continuity was only just becoming important to shows. (Oddly enough, the teen oriented Mod Squad was one of the few that did seem interested in continuity, at least where the characters were concerned.)

As with history, people tend to forget what the "reality" was like and judge with more current values. From today's standpoint, the issues of losing actors during the hiatus in shooting is jarring. I haven't actually watched the show for ... a decade? and so there isn't any of the jarring issue in what I remember. In fact, given the somewhat sieve like qualities of my memory, it's a wonder the characters come across well in my writing. Sometimes I'm guilty of building on fanon instead of canon. So with a lot of quality writers in a fandom, I get to do well.  Cheesy

Denise: I agree with Matt, you do exceedingly well, in or out of the box and I think the box is far larger than you are sometimes willing to grant. As to finding my ideas of use to build on, I am flattered. Does this mean that we work in synergy and are each others fans as well as fans of the original work? (Spiral universes ... LOL)

laters

d

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #34 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
I love building on fanon as well as canon. Since finding the fanfiction sites I've been exposed to some really great writing as well as different perceptions of the characters. Alison said it best, we do spark off each other! Cheesy

Dragon, you're right, we are fans of each other's! Wink

Spiral universes and intertwining thoughts... Cheesy

IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
I love the thought of spiral universes!  Woo-hoo!  Smiley

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

We need to defend ourselves...

Reply #36 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 9:51am
Print Post  
denisefelt wrote on Jul 30th, 2010 at 4:58pm:
I love the thought of spiral universes!  Woo-hoo!  Smiley

Not necessarily Universes but I firmly believe that Spacetime  follows a spiral path - after all, if you consider the path of the Earth in 4 dimensions, it traces out a spiral.

Helical space time could well explain certain paranormal phenomena such as precognition or ghosts; the consciousness 'slips the groove' and witnesses events from further along the path

IP Logged

dragon
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 4:16am
Print Post  
I think I wrote universes when I meant galaxies ... not that I couldn't see universes as being spiral the way that some galaxies are.  Grin

Time spirals ... or feris wheels ... odd thought, why feris? or ferris? or pherris ... google!

IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 8:13am
Print Post  
No, no, Dragon!  Spiral galaxies are passe!  Wink  I like your thought of spiral universes!  Cheesy  Now that's an idea I can work with!   :Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo