SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic
Normal Topic Edge of Armageddon- synopsis (Read 1837 times)
MkIXHawk
Captain

We need to defend ourselves...

Edge of Armageddon- synopsis
Jun 9th, 2010 at 9:29am
Print Post  
just a little taster for now:

The story is set in 1970. Although SHADO has just been given the 'Go-Ahead' by the Special Committee of the UN, it is far from operational and recruitment has only just started.
One night, a TV Reporter, Keith Ford, is working alone on a documentary on Unidentified Flying Objects, having had a close encounter some years before in which his wife was abducted. Hearing a familiar noise, he runs outside to see a UFO nearby. He manages to photograph the alien vehicle.
the next day, he shows the photographs to his editor but instead of being given the green light, the documentary is axed.

In England, a routine test of the Bloodhound Surface-To-Air Missile battery goes wrong and hits a UFO by mistake. The damaged UFO crash-lands near the Queen's Residence at Sandringham in Norfolk.
A disgusted Ford is sent on leave. Following a tip-off from a colleague, he decides to go to Norfolk, officially just for a rest
The RAF Regiment, who provide security at the Base, are sent to check on the crashed UFO. A firefight ensues which Ford becomes involved in.

The local police, dealing with a serial killer find that one of their own has been murdered and his organs removed.
They then receive reports of a shooting near Sandringham House. The weapon , when examined at a Government Research Lab, proves to be totally unlike anything known...

In Turkey, there is a massive earthquake, miles from the nearest seismic fault. The two superpowers accuse the other of conducting 'provocative' underground nuclear tests

Ford is sent to investigate and finds signs of UFO activity

Are the Aliens responsible for the earthquake?

Can the newly-appointed Commander Straker prevent the truth about the existence of UFOs leaking out whilst at the same time preventing World War III and saving his marriage?

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Re: Edge of Armageddon- synopsis
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 9:59am
Print Post  
This sounds super! I love the back story for Ford.. a much under-used character with only hints at his previous career. Really intriguing stuff!
Looking forward to reading more!.. yes, we writers are greedy when it comes to new stories! Grin
I like the way you have involved other aspects of the series.. the earthquake in Turkey, Straker's marriage etc. Smiley

Is this story/novel/novella going to be published?

I need some air.
IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 10:12am
Print Post  
I've just contacted ftlbooks in the states and Titan Books here in the UK.

The question is: is it worth £8.99 in paperback?

If I can't find a commercial publisher, then I'll publish online

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Personally, I would spend that much on a UFO novel, especially with the (hopefully) new film coming out. Especially as you have written previous stories that have been published by Fanderson.. are they still available? Wink

Besides, if the film comes out, there may be a demand for  a novelisation of the script... and if you've already proved yourself to be a good writer,with an interest in the story, you might have a chance!

Good Luck!

I need some air.
IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 10:38am
Print Post  
The Captain Scarlet Story 'Crisis' sold out it's complete print run.

That said, here's a link:

http://www.century21models.talktalk.net/Writing.htm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic