SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Add Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Visitors (Read 4623 times)
SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

The Visitors
Jan 11th, 2017 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
My thanks to the Librarian - I was beginning to think this had got itself abducted!

It started out as two separate stories… but the first part left a very large question mark dangling, and the second tries to deal with that.

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Re: The Visitors
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 7:30am
Print Post  
***Spoiler alert***

Readers will no doubt notice the pointers to 'Space: 1999', in particular, the episode 'Testament of Arkadia', which deals with the origins of Earth-humanity.

More generally, I have supposed that the Moon was hurled out of its orbit that September day not by just the chain reaction in the waste dump, but by an ancient stardrive, which may - or may not - have been installed by the Arkadians. Certainly SHADO's aliens don't know about it. When Ed discovers the device, he has to decide what to do. From a 'Space:1999' perspective, it has to remain there, undamaged and fully operational. If Ed is still around when Moonbase Alpha itself starts operating, he may consider it his duty to deactivate the stardrive; in which case there would be no lunar walkabout.

But Ed would much rather he could forget the thing exists.. and so would the Hive. So a clandestine meeting is arranged, at Rendlesham. All is well; but even the Hive cannot foresee all outcomes!

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 12:47am
Print Post  
I missed Alan Carter  Grin    very enjoyable story, i felt making it one story worked well
We're reworking ours. Finished but not happy, so reworking part 3.
btw Deborah Superman is mentioned in ours

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Alan will probably turn up at Moonbase in due course..   Smiley   Wink

Looking forward to seeing your tale!

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
When I wrote  my ufo/1999 crossover Alien fifty million years ago,  I wanted to put Alec on their moonbase, but there was more angst by having Straker  coping alone. Imagine Carter and Freeman together. Two aussies bent on chaos. lol.  I write Alec as Australian, which they planned for him to be. I felt it suited him.

A SENSE OF WONDER is done, and goes today to my beta Nans for evil error checks and my cow Moo for tech checking, and first impressions. I think first impressions are so important.  Grin
Straker's sherry drinking in yours threw me. I figured the hive did it  Cheesy

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2017 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Oh boy. Those two would totally demolish Verdeschi's beer stock    Shocked

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2017 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Re the sherry: Ed does drink VERY occasionally, see his wedding, and at the news of his becoming an expectant father! and hey, it's Christmas..

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 6:25am
Print Post  
I thought that 'spoiler alert' should be included in the story itself, so I asked the Librarian to attach it at the end (where it's no longer a spoiler, of course). Much better. Thanks!

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2017 at 2:02am
Print Post  
Snowleopard,

I read 'The Visitors' last night and enjoyed it. Do you have sequels in mind? The Rendlesham forest/RAF Bentwaters was a fun angle to explore.

Part 1 had me recalling the Krell underground city in 'Forbidden Planet'. Good memories...

Looking forward to more of your work.

Moo

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2017 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Thanks for the idea, Moo, I might have a go.. Once I've sorted out Paul, of course!

(only about a minute later AFTER I'd turned my attention to something else (yeah, right) )

Those D***N bunnies are swarming. ISTR I said something about Straker sending SkyDiver to investigate the Suffolk coast for tunnels....

Getoffgetoffgetoff!!

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Oh my, Forbidden Planet... That takes me back. Actually, 'Visitors' is more the illegitimate offspring of David Weber's 'Dahak' trilogy and Jasper fforde's 'Thursday Next' sequence. Both cracking good reads, if very different.

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
I'm not familiar with those works. Not surprisingly.

You'd like writing serials. You can create new characters to supplement/challenge your known cast and get them into all sorts of misadventures. Your plot bunnies will positively stampede with new ideas. You'll have fun with it...

Ah... Forbidden Planet. Walter Pidgeon, young Leslie Nielsen and the luscious Anne Francis (pre Honey West). Add a dose of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' and a charming robot. Bingo!

Keep up the good work.

Moo

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
"Leslie Nielsen wants to land on Altair 4? What is it?

It's a planet full of monsters from the subconscious, but that's not important right now".

You'd probably enjoy the Dahak trilogy - '"Empire from the Ashes". Dahak started out as a computer, in charge of a starship, but over a period of 51 millennia he developed  self-awareness. Then he kidnapped a human because he needed a captain, to help sort out a mutiny and defeat some aliens. And by the way, the starship in question is heavily disguised as our Moon.

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
You remembered well... Sounds like a good read as well. With my rather twisted sense of humor, my thoughts went to Marvin the robot from 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.'

Leslie Nielsen seemed to really hit his stride doing comedy. Anne Francis was still quite lovely in her later years before cancer took her. Remember her pet ocelot named Bruce on 'Honey West'? And as a department store dummy come to life on Twilight Zone.

Moo

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 6:24am
Print Post  
SnowLeopard wrote on Jan 14th, 2017 at 9:42pm:
Re the sherry: Ed does drink VERY occasionally, see his wedding, and at the news of his becoming an expectant father! and hey, it's Christmas..

His wedding, in ESP and possibly in  the Responsibilty seat but since he drives in that I think trs was tomato juice. I just think his not using leaves a lot of possibilities open. Straker was a great character to write for.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo