SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic
Normal Topic Gerry Anderson: Gone, but not forgotten. (Read 738 times)
Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Gerry Anderson: Gone, but not forgotten.
Dec 30th, 2012 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
On December 26, science fiction fans, the world over, were saddened by the passing of an icon in the sci-fi world; Gerry Anderson. Most widely known for his “Supermarionation” series The Thunderbirds, Gerry was the creator of several other science fiction programs, Stingray, Captain Scarlett and the Mysterons, Space: 1999, to name a few. One series, a show that many will argue was his finest work, was my personal favorite, UFO.

Hailed by many as the best speculative science fiction show to ever grace the television screen, UFO was his first attempt at a live action series. Unlike his previous work, this show was adult orientated, a fact missed by many of the networks of the time.

In UFO, Gerry created a somewhat better world than we live in, with the nations of the world working together against a common foe. And yet it was not a perfect world, as many of the episode touched on sensitive subjects, such as, drug use, marital infidelity, and the endless Straker/Henderson battles over the budget. Not all of the episodes had a happy ending making for a more believable series. I have to wonder if Gerry knew just how ground breaking the series really was?

Although Gerry has passed on, joining many of those he worked with, his creative spirit lives on in the collective efforts of his loyal fans. Discussion boards host many interesting, (and sometimes spirited) conversations about the shows, the neat hardware, and the timeless characters. Model makers and artists continue to keep his visions alive even adding new conceptions to the Anderson Universe. In Fanfiction, the characters, we all know and love, are kept alive in countless new adventures, sometimes moving in directions that Gerry himself never dreamed of.

Farewell, Gerry, we still have you on positive track.

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Re: Gerry Anderson: Gone, but not forgotten.
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Lovely tribute, Matt!  I'll always remember how the fans described Gerry at the Coventry Con I attended.  They called him "the British George Lucas."  It suits him.  Cool

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo