SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic The Omega Conundrum (Read 2436 times)
Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

The Omega Conundrum
Sep 25th, 2011 at 6:18am
Print Post  
The Omega Conundrum

A UFO Challenge Story for the Sci-fi Forever Forum and the SHADO Writer’s Guild
Written by Matthew R. White
© September 24, 2010

Based on the Characters and series created by Gerry Anderson

The Character of Major Vladimir Natiroff was created by Deborah Rorabaugh

Historian’s Note: This story opens about one year after Distant Memories.

Prologue:

July 1991:

“Damn-it Ed, you and Virginia should have gotten out of there a month ago,” said Alec, to his best friend. “Why did you have to be so stubborn?”

“You know better than that, Alec. This is my command and I won’t abandon it. Besides, stubbornness seems to run in the family,” the Commander responded.

On the video screen, Freeman shook his head in resignation. He knew Ed long enough to know when he had made a decision. Arguing further would be a pointless endeavor. 

“Yeah, I suppose. Have you heard from Lynn?”

“No,” said Ed, the grief he felt evident in his voice. “I can only assume they didn’t make it to the rendezvous point.”

The couple had sent their children, along with their grandmother, to meet with Skydiver 5, just before travel became dangerous. They never arrived at the sub base, and neither Virginia nor Ed had heard from them.

War had broken out among the major powers almost three months ago. The United States and Britain faced off with the Soviet Union and China. Until a month ago, the conflict had been confined to naval skirmishes and a few isolated aerial engagements. But the conflict had a much more serious consequence. The four powers involved were also SHADO’s major contributors. The super secret organization was beginning to have a serious cash flow problem.

At first, the United Nations had tried to intervene but it was unable to keep the conflict from escalating. Fighting had broken out in Germany, even though both halves of the country had declared neutrality. Bombing of London, and other British cities, had soon followed.

The day before, the United States suffered a nuclear attack on the cities of Washington, DC and New York. The naval base at Pearl Harbor was also destroyed. The US retaliatory strike annihilated the cities of Moscow, Kiev, and Beijing. By some miracle, the nuclear attacks had been limited to under a dozen. I wonder how long that will last…

“Ginny’s mother is a survivor, Ed. She’s probably holed up with the kids in a safe place.”

“I hope you’re right, Alec. I just hope they made it out of London,” said Ed. “How’s Barbara?”

“She’s safe, Ed. She arrived here just a few hours ago. Is Ginny holding out all right?”

“She’s thick-headed, Alec, just like her husband. I tried to get her to go with Lynn and the kids, but she wouldn’t hear of it. It may not matter in another few minutes. It looks like we are about to find out if this place can withstand a nuclear attack.”

Ed chuckled to himself, remembering a conversation he had with Janice Ealand a few years earlier.

“Forgive me, Alec, it’s gallows humor,” Ed continued. “I should get out there.”

“Take care, Ed. Good luck.”

Straker looked around his office, a place that, out of necessity, had become the center of his life. In the corner niche, behind his desk, a wedding picture held a place of prominence. In the picture, Virginia and he were facing each other, hands joined as they stood at the altar. An image of Ginny and the twins, a month after they were born, took its place on the other side.

Although his heart was warmed by reminders of the two happiest moments in his life, a feeling of finality and sadness swept over him as he contemplated his failure, a failure to keep his family, his country, and his world, safe from harm.
So this is how it all ends…

In the control room, Virginia shook her head in disbelief and disgust as the radar traces converged on the British capitol. Damn fools! For the love of God, what are they thinking?

Ginny reached for the phone when she heard the door to Ed’s office open. She looked up and smiled warmly, despite the circumstances, as her husband approached.

“I was just about to call you,” she said to him, as he stepped beside her. “Moonbase has been apprised of our situation. Nina is going to safeguard the SID network from the EMP. The impact zone is going to be about five miles southeast.”

“The blast will still flatten the studio.”

“I know, those left topside have been evacuated,” she said. “Anyone without clearance was sent to the shelter in the government building across the way. There was only a half dozen studio employees left.”

Virginia watched as her husband slowly surveyed the room, taking note of the now diminished staff. At the communications console sat Lt. Tara Paulson, who had replaced Major Ford. At the radar station, Lt. Mike Watson was also intently focused on the radar screen. Colonel Grey, the duty officer, was seated at the command console.

SHADO HQ had been running with a skeleton crew since the UN talks had broken down. Besides the control room staff, only one medical staffer, and a handful of security personnel, was left. In anticipation of a possible attack, human or alien, Straker had ordered the shutdown of all studio operations when the bombing had started. At the time, the decision had drawn scrutiny from the IAC, but Ginny was glad that Ed had held fast to his decision. Maybe it will save a few lives, she thought.

“Time to impact?” asked Straker.

“Thirty seconds, Commander,” replied Watson.

Virginia and Ed had always maintained a military decorum in the control room but he reached around her waist and gently pulled her close.

“Virginia I…”

“I know, Ed, me too,” she replied, embracing him for what she assumed would be the last time.

As they held each other, she felt the torrent of emotion that he kept hidden in behind the stoic mask that he normally wore. But Ginny wasn’t fooled as she had known him too long, and too well. She released him from the embrace and joined hands with him as they did on their wedding day, their eyes locked on each other.

Virginia was determined to face the end with the same courage and conviction as her husband would. As the time counted down to zero, Ginny never flinched as the lights darkened and the displays went dark.

In the control room, of the new Australian installation, Major Keith Ford watched the signal indicator, from HQ, as it suddenly went dark.

“Contact lost, Colonel,” he said to Freeman, who was standing over his shoulder.

“Try to reestablish, Keith.”

Ford switched his circuits, trying to reacquire the signal, to no avail.

“It’s no use, sir. They’re not transmitting.”

Freeman took out his handkerchief and wiped his eyes. He stood silent for a moment, struggling to regain his composure.

Finally, he said, “Keith, inform all SHADO stations that, as of now fourteen hundred hours, I am assuming command.”

“Yes sir.”

Alec Freeman turned away and trudged to his office. Once inside, he leaned against the double door that had closed behind him. Soon after being cured of his cancer, Freeman had returned to SHADO to oversee the expansion of the Aeroceptor project which turned out to be a three year endeavor.

Right after the Aeroceptor project was completed, Straker unveiled a new and ambitious organizational plan that expanded and changed the entire organization. A new SHADO installation, located in the Australian Outback, would serve as the nerve center for all the southern hemisphere forces. In addition, it served a dual role as an alternate HQ. The commander had divided the workload among his senior staff, with Freeman commanding SHADO South.

Straker, that sly ol’ fox, somehow, he knew this was coming, thought Freeman.

Alec eyed the servitor in his office intent on raising a glass to his fallen comrades. He plodded over to corner and selected a tall tumbler and filled it halfway.

“To absent friends,” he said, as he took a long pull on the glass of whiskey.
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2011 at 3:05am by SHADO Librarian »  

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Re: The Omega Conundrum
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Chapter 1:

Eleven months earlier:

Ed Straker bolted up in bed as he awoke from the clutches of a nightmare. He was sure that he had yelled aloud but, beside him, Virginia was still fast asleep. Gradually, Ed took in his surroundings, realizing that both of them were safe in their own bedroom. He swung his legs to the floor being careful not to awaken his still sleeping wife, who was normally a very light sleeper.

Donning his robe, Ed made his way downstairs to the kitchen and poured himself a glass of water. He kept the lights off relying only on the small nightlights, he and Ginny, had installed throughout the house for the children. Glass in hand; he looked out the French door leading to the back yard. A crescent moon provided him enough illumination to see the children’s swing set in the middle of the yard.

The early morning sky was crystal clear and even with the moon up, the stars twinkled brightly in the pre dawn vista. Ed gazed into the heavens, trying to distract himself from the horrible images of his nightmare.

“Ed…”

He turned to see his wife stroll beside him.

“I thought you were asleep.”

“I was,” she said, “that is, until something, or someone, lured my husband out of our bed. I thought I’d better come down and have a look at my competition.”

Straker smiled at her as he admired her mischievous grin, her long blonde hair, and the shapeliness of her figure, revealed through her nightgown.

“Like you’ve ever had any competition,” he said, placing his arm around her waist.

The couple gazed out the kitchen door in silence, both of them admiring the view.

“You had another nightmare, didn’t you,” she said, not as a question.

“Yes.”

“The same one?”

Ed nodded, still looking out the door.

Near the horizon, the sky was just beginning to brighten as the rays from the sun started to obscure to night sky.

“That’s three times this week, Ed. Do you want to talk about it?”

“It was just a dream, Virginia,” he said, off handedly, trying to dismiss it.

He glanced over to her, seeing the concern in her eyes. If it were anyone else, he could have bluffed his way through it, but not with her. Even if she wasn’t able to sense his feelings, she knew him all too well.

“I don’t know what it means, darling, I just can’t get the images out of my mind.”

The night before, Ed had told her as much as he could remember from the dream. It was the same one he had experienced just before his father had passed away.

“In your dream, how long was my hair?” she asked.

Ed thought for a moment.

“It was shoulder length, like you used to wear it before the kids were born.”

“You said, last night, that I was wearing my purple silk blouse. Could it be the Timelash incident you’re reliving? My hair was shorter back then. And Turner almost killed both of us. We were lucky to live through that.”

“No, it wasn’t then. It’s different somehow. I know I’m older, in my fifties I think. In my dream, the studio is in shambles, and it was an alien that…”

Ed stopped as the thought of seeing his wife dying, in his arms, forced him to tears.

“Hey,” she said, pulling him into her embrace. “I haven’t worn that outfit in years. In fact, I think it’s still hanging in our closet at HQ. I was going to shorten my hair next week. It’s becoming a chore to take care of. Would you feel better if I didn’t?”

“Don’t change your mind because of this,” said Ed, recovering. “It just seemed so real. I’m sorry, I can’t bear the thought of losing you again…I went through pure hell when you were lost in 1862.”

“It was nice to know I was missed. The first time you had this dream, I was on Moonbase and you were worried about an alien attack. Then, last month, I was stranded in the past. The subconscious does funny things with fear, especially fear of loss. Maybe you should talk to Dr. Jackson about it.”

That statement brought a smirk to his face.

“I think I’d rather deal with the dreams than sit in Jackson’s house of horrors, thank you very much.”

“Or you could let me take your mind off it, we’ve still got a couple hours before we have to get ready for work,” she said, an impish grin now evident in her expression.

“Are you trying to wear me down?” he asked, sweeping her off her feet.

“No, I’m just trying to keep you young.”

“Well, it looks like it’s working,” he said, as he carried her back up the stairs.

Ten miles west of the studio, Paul Foster was supervising the offloading of the captured UFO. Getting it back to England had turned into a logistical nightmare and Paul was feeling the pressure of responsibility.

Working under the cover of darkness, the crane was lowering the alien craft onto the custom made undercarriage.

“There are no signs of deterioration, Joe,” Foster said, to Lt. Colonel Kelly. “I was sure that we would have to re-treat the surface after we cleaned off the dirt.”

“The compound used, permanently alters the subatomic structure, Colonel Foster. I’m surprised that the aliens have not come up with this solution themselves.”

“Don’t complain. I’ll take any advantage they give us.”

As the two men conversed, the UFO came to a rest on the platform. The crew began the task of removing the hoisting cables and straps.

“We have another problem, Joe.”

“How’s that, Colonel?”

“After the incident, Major Natiroff pulled the surveillance records for this section. There was a fifteen minute gap in the video logs, just before Colonel Lake started her work on the power systems.”

Kelly was shocked, “That’s the first I’ve heard of this, Paul,” he said, in a subdued voice.

“Straker ordered the information compartmentalized. Only five people know about this, including us,” said Foster. “You and I need to go through the records of everyone attached to this project, and I mean everyone, right down to the people sweeping the floor.”

“I assume we would want to check the Omega cleared personnel first?”

“That’s the plan,” agreed Foster. “Although I suspect our saboteur is not going to be among them.”

“In the mean time, shouldn’t we keep this area off limits to all but Omega cleared operatives?”

Foster nodded, “I concur, and so does Straker. A special security team has already setup a perimeter, and once the riggers are finished, this installation will be cordoned off. The only personnel allowed access will be the Commander, Colonel Lake, Professor Reinhardt, and the two of us.”

“What about Jen Wallace? She’s very heavily involved in this project.”

“Jen is in New York, so it shouldn’t be an issue. If, for some reason, she has a need to be here, I’m sure the Commander will authorize it. I don’t need to tell you about the political ramifications that would manifest, should this information fall into the wrong hands. Joe, we are looking at a weapon more powerful than the Tsar Bomba.”

Joe Kelly was very familiar with the AN602 hydrogen bomb, detonated by the Russians in 1961. Nicknamed the Tsar Bomba, it had a design yield of over 100 megatons. The test weapon was limited to 50 megatons, to reduce the fallout from the device. To date it was the largest nuclear explosion in the history of mankind.

“Lord, help us,” said Kelly.

General Henderson walked into his outer office just before eight in the morning. As was always the case, his inbox was full of correspondence. He grabbed the stack of mail and trudged into his inner sanctum. With a cup of coffee in hand, he waded through the, mostly mundane, task of reviewing the letter’s that Miss Scott had marked for his attention. One of the letters had been stamped, personal and confidential, and it had been left unopened.

Looking for a diversion, Henderson picked up the letter and looked over the envelope. He recognized the Pentagon mail stop number and quickly opened the letter. As he began to read, he took a sip of coffee. What he read caused him to almost drop the cup in his lap.

Henderson re-read the letter hopping that he had misread it. “Judas Priest!” he finally said.

James Henderson picked up the phone and dialed the direct number to Straker’s office.

“Harlington Straker Studios, Mr. Straker’s Office,” answered Miss Ealand.

“Miss Ealand, is Straker in?” he asked.

“Yes sir, he is. Shall I transfer you?”

“No, just tell him I’m on my way over,” said the General.

“Yes sir.”

Henderson grabbed his briefcase and threw the letter and a few other documents inside, and set the locks. He dashed out of the office with a grim look on his face.

In his office downstairs, Straker was buried in paperwork, a task made worse by his lack of food. Virginia and he had arrived too late to grab breakfast in the mess hall and Ed’s stomach was reminding him of the fact. But spending quality time with his wife was worth it.

At least the coffee is good this morning, he thought.

The direct line upstairs rang and he reached for the phone.

“Yes, Miss Ealand?”

“I just heard from General Henderson, sir. He said to tell you that he’s on his way over.”

“Did he say why?”

“No sir, he didn’t,” she said.

“Very well…”

“Commander, he sounded upset.”

“When have you known James L. Henderson not to be on the warpath about something?”

“That’s not what I mean, sir. He didn’t sound angry, he seemed truly concerned.

“I see, thank you Miss Ealand.”

As he hung up the phone, Virginia walked into the room.

“I’m having the mess hall send something up for us, Ed,” she said, pausing as she saw his expression. “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know,” he said. “You had better have them prepare an extra place setting. We’re having company for breakfast.”

“Oh?”

“General Henderson is on his way over.”

“Did he say why?” she asked.

Straker shook his head, “No, he told Miss Ealand that he’s coming over. She said that he sounded concerned about something.”

“I see,” said Virginia. “Well, I guess we’ll find out when he gets here. On another note, Paul checked in a few minutes ago. The UFO is secure at the research facility, and the new security protocols have been initiated.”

“That is good news. It’s one less thing to worry about.”

Forty minutes later, a grim faced General Henderson walked into Straker’s office. Ed stood from the table, where he and Virginia were sitting, and shook hands with his boss.

“Good morning, General,” said Straker. “You’re just in time for breakfast.”

“You may want to close and lock the door, Commander. When I’m finished, you’re going to need something stronger than coffee.”

“I take it this is more than just a social call, James,” said Straker, as he closed the door behind him.

“That’s an understatement,” replied the General. He opened his briefcase and reached for an envelope.

Henderson joined them at the table, nodding to Virginia as he sat.

“Colonel.”

“Good morning, General.”

“I received this letter this morning. As you can see from the envelope, it came from the Pentagon. But there is no signature, only a mailstop number.”

Straker read the contents of the letter; halfway through, he looked at the General in disbelief. The Commander was blanched by the time he finished.

“My God, Ed! You’re as white as a ghost!” said his wife. “What’s it all about.”

Straker looked at Henderson, who nodded his approval. He handed the sheet to Ginny.

“Oh my God,” she said. “How the hell…” she stopped midsentence.

“So there is something to this,” said Henderson. “I thought so. I take it that this information is Omega classified?”

Straker nodded, “We’ve learned quite a bit since Timelash, James. I never did quite understand your order, regarding Omega.”

Henderson chuckled, “So I threw you a curve ball. Two words, Commander. Plausible Deniability. If I wasn’t aware of any of this research, then no one in the IAC would be aware of it. Consequently, the information would never reach any of the member governments. I’m sorry Ed, I know this put a lot of responsibility squarely on your shoulders, but I knew of no man better for the job.”

Straker was taken back; his boss was so very seldom gracious with his comments that it always caught him by surprise when it happened.

“The consolation here,” said the General, “is that everyone in this section, of the Pentagon, is aware of SHADO’s existence. But if the knowledge of time travel were to become widespread, even if it is confined to national security and military entities, it could have untold geopolitical ramifications.”

“I have nightmares about that very scenario, General,” said Ed, as he reached for his wife’s hand.

“If I’m going to counter this,” said Henderson. “I’m going to need to be brought up to speed. The best way to sell a lie, is wrap it in a little bit of truth.

Henderson listened intently, as, over the next two hours, Virginia and Ed told him of their accidental journey to the dark alternate universe, a place where they learned how to decipher the alien technology. Virginia told him of her six weeks in 1862 Nevada, supplementing her story with the sketch book that had been given to her mother by the Cartwright family, and the excerpts from Ben Cartwright’s journal.

“So the grave marker isn’t there now,” asked a confused Henderson.

“No, not anymore,” said Straker. “Virginia and I checked before we came home. Both Professor Reinhardt and Lt. Lake can verify that.”

“How reliable is this technology, Virginia? Can it be used with any consistency?” asked the General.

“The mathematics, for the temporal coordinates, is comprised of complex calculus. But a knowledgeable quantum physicist, who holds an advanced degree in mathematics, could probably figure it out. If our research is provided, anyone with a physics degree would be able to duplicate our results. In fact, having the craft in two different points, on the timeline, makes the time calculations easier. Right now, we have a stable gateway from June 1862, right up until two weeks ago.”

“Where is the craft now?”

“It’s back at our research center, under heavy guard,” said Straker. “Only five of us are permitted access.”

“Let’s keep it that way,” said Henderson. “In the mean time, we’ve got to find out who knows about this. The thing that concerns me, more than anything else, is that we are, most likely, going up against an intelligence agency that has the same resources that we do. These are professionals, and they are very good at what they do. I’m going to need to bring both the President and the British Prime Minister in on this.”

“I’ve assigned Colonel Foster to the investigation,” said Straker. “He can be tenacious as hell when he wants to be, and I’ve learned to give him quite a bit of latitude when I want to get things done.”

“You may want to use Jackson as well. I know you’re not fond of his methods but he can be quite effective as I’m sure you’re aware.”

Straker nodded, as he glanced over to his wife. He didn’t need to sense her feelings to read the look on her face.

“I’m keeping all my options open, General,” he said, in a non committal tone. But inwardly, he knew Henderson was right. Desperate situations require desperate measures.

“Is it wise to inform the President?”

“Don’t worry Ed, President Moredeci is a close friend of mine, and I know he would not condone this.”

“I hope you are right, James,” said Ed. “I have the sick feeling that we have just opened Pandora’s Box.”
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2011 at 9:12pm by Matt »  

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2011 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Chapter 2:

When Paul Foster walked up to the Commander’s office, he was surprised when the door didn’t open. He walked over to the command console, to speak to Colonel Blake, the duty officer that morning.

“Mornin’ Geoff, Straker in a meeting?”

“You might say that. Henderson showed up almost two hours ago. He’s been in there with the Commander and Colonel Lake since,” said Blake.

“I was hoping to catch him before I went home. It’s been a long night.”

“Did you get the package put to bed?”

“Yeah, we started moving it just after sunset. Getting the main highway closed is going to cause quite a stir. Remember the flap when we moved it in the first time?”

“The Royal Air Force earned its money that week,” agreed Blake.

Behind Foster, the door opened to the Commander’s office. Blake tilted his head and Foster turned as the General strolled by.

“Colonel Foster,” the General said, somewhat curtly.

“General.”

Foster watched the older man ascend the stairs and leave the control room. Foster sometimes wondered if the General was still pissed he didn’t relieve Straker the day of the space junk incident. A long time to hold a grudge, he thought.

“I’ll see you later Geoff,” said Foster, as he made for the Commander’s office.

Two weeks later:

In the Oval Office, President Dennis Moredeci stood at the window looking over the south lawn. Outside, the morning sun shone brightly, bringing life to the uncharacteristically cool late summer day. Moredeci contemplated the peace and tranquility outside against the turmoil in his mind.

Behind him, the door to the office opened, but the President kept his gaze on the vista beyond the window.

“Beautiful day, wouldn’t you say, Randy?” asked the elder man.

“It is,” said Randolph Clark, the Chief of Staff.

Moredeci turned from the window to face his close friend, and confidant. “I was just thinking, Randy. It’s too bad you didn’t pay just a wee bit more attention to politics. You would have made one hell of a Vice President.”

“You already have a Vice President, Dennis.”

“Yeah, right. You and I both know that Lee Leftfort does whatever is in Lee Leftfort’s best interest. He’s a real snake in the grass. He’d stab me in the back in a moment’s notice.”

Clark shook his head, “I don’t know how you do it. I can hardly stomach being in the same room with him, never mind having to work closely with him.”

Moredeci sighed, “It all came down to the numbers, Randy. Without Leftfort’s support with the unions, we would have lost the election. I’m going to face the same problem next year, assuming I run again.”

“You’ll run. Serving your country is in your blood. It’s what you do.”

“Yeah, maybe. I spent most my life wearing our country’s uniform. Twenty years worth, I should have listened to Peggy and retired when my stint was up,” said the President. “That’s the difference between Leftfort and I. Lee is driven by ambition, not duty.”

“You’ve been brooding ever since you met with Jim Henderson last week. What’s really bothering you, Dennis?”

“We have a real internal problem, Randy,” said the President, as he took his place behind his desk. “What I’m about to tell you, is classified at the highest levels. Trust me, you’ll never sleep soundly again, once you’ve heard what I have to say.”

When President Moredeci sat in his chair, a small micro switch closed, trigging a device that had been carefully hidden in the chair. The resulting explosion blew the walls of the Oval Office out into the south lawn.

Across the grounds, a secret service agent spoke into his radio, “Execute Operation Phoenix.”

In full dress uniform, Major General Edward Straker, USAF and, unknown to all but a few present, Commander in Chief, SHADO Operations, presented a sharp salute as the flag draped casket passed by. Standing next to him, at Arlington National Cemetery, stood his wife, his children, and his mother in-law. As they all looked on somberly, both Virginia and Lynn were in tears.

“I can’t believe he is gone, Ed,” said his wife, after the casket had rolled by.

“I know.”

In the span of only a few weeks, their world had been turned upside down, beginning with the assassination of President Moredeci. Ed had been busy that day with the third quarter fiscal reports, a mundane but necessary task for the continued operation of SHADO, when his wife had burst into his office.

“Ed, turn on the news!” she said.

Turning on the news channel they watched in horror as the drama, of the explosion in the Oval Office, unfolded before their eyes. They soon learned that both the President and his Chief of Staff were killed in the explosion.

The world hardly had time to morn when, a few days later, the British prime minister was killed in a car bomb incident. That event prompted the US forces to go from DEFCON 3 to DEFCON 1, and the British Forces enacted Queen’s Order 2.

All the US bases were already at THREATCON Delta, and SHADO had been ordered to Maximum Security Alert.

Ed had begun to breathe again, when the US dropped its defense condition to DEFCON 3. That evening, Virginia and he, were awakened to a shock when they learned that General Henderson had been found in his office, having died from an apparent heart attack.

Henderson’s actions in World War Two, and later Korea, had earned him a place in Arlington National Cemetery. The Funeral, with full military honors, was the reason that the Straker family had come to the states.

The General had flown B-17s, out of England, during the war. As a result, he had known Virginia’s parents, Robert and Lynn Lake, since before she was born, a fact Ed didn’t learn until Ginny and he became involved.

After the service, Lynn took the children back to the hotel, giving Virginia and Ed some time alone, time to grieve as well as a chance to discuss matters concerning SHADO. Long gone were the days they could talk about classified subjects in earshot of the children.

“I suppose the IAC will tap you to become its new President,” said Virginia.

“You sound as if you bucking for a promotion?”

“Hell no, in fact I’m going to transfer back to research if you take Henderson’s old job.”

Ed grinned at his wife, enjoying a chance to ruffle her feathers. They had already discussed the possibility, assuming that Henderson would soon be ready to retire.

“I haven’t changed my mind, Ed. I still think you are the right person for the job, but I won’t take command of SHADO with you there. I saw what it did to you and Jim and I won’t let that happen to us.”

“Alec doesn’t want it either,” said Straker, remembering the conversation the night before. “He’s afraid the two of us will end up like Jim and I did. Besides, he’s enjoying life down under too much.”

“You’re not sleeping with Alec,” Virginia said, in a serious vein. “Our marriage weathered our positions in SHADO remarkably well. But being the chairman of the IAC will put us at odds with each other much more often than I’m comfortable with. Speaking of Alec, when is he going to get off his ass and ask Barbara to marry him? They’ve been seeing each other since before the kids were born.”

“You’ll have to ask him. Barbara seems okay with their arrangement.”

“She may not say anything about it, even to you.”

“Maybe, but I think it is best if I keep out of it,” said Ed. “Trust me, if Barbara had an issue with her relationship with Alec, she’d let him know. Speaking of Barbara, she asked me send her a few items from the house. I told her we’d be spending a couple of days there, that is, if you still want too?”

“Of course I do, I’ll take any opportunity I can to keep you away from that damned hole in the ground.”

Virginia and Ed had been walking back to the grave site. They stood in silence for a moment, both of them saying their farewells to a comrade and friend.

“Rest easy, James,” said Ed.

Virginia remained silent as she contemplated her, somewhat complex, relationship with the departed General. In her early years she had seen him, and his wife, as family members, and it was the General who had told her mother that her father had been lost in action.

Later in life, after coming to SHADO, she ran into him again when she transferred to HQ. For reasons she didn’t understand at the time, he asked her to keep the knowledge that they knew each other confidential.

When her relationship with the Commander became intimate, the General had convinced the commission to put the Computer Relationship Study under commission review. The move had infuriated her as she had been a stickler for the regulations. The animosity between them erupted once again when she assumed command of SHADO after Ed was considered lost.

Ginny had chosen duty over love, although she would argue otherwise, when she ordered Gay to shoot down the UFO that she believed was carrying her fiancé. The action had restored Henderson’s faith in her, and her abilities. While their relationship never returned to the camaraderie it once enjoyed, it warmed considerably over the years.

Henderson and his wife were frequent guests of the Straker family at holiday gatherings and Jim Henderson enjoyed a grandfatherly rapport with the children.

“Are you okay?” asked Ed.

“Yeah, I was just thinking. Uncle Jim and I have quite a colorful history.”

“Uncle Jim?”

“I know. I haven’t called him that since I was a child. You know, Ed, as much of a pain in the ass as he could be, I’m going to miss him…”

Virginia leaned into her husband as she began to cry.

“I’ll miss him too, honey.”

They turned to walk back to the car with Ed supporting his wife.

“Did they have to use so much explosive? It will be a month before my office is ready.”

“You wanted the job done correctly, did you not?” asked the General, of his new boss.

The former Vice President, and his new Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, stood on the south lawn to inspect the progress made on the damaged Oval Office.

“I suppose I should be grateful,” said President Leftfort. “I understand that Straker and his wife are in town. It’s really too bad about Henderson, you know, he was a good man.”

“Yes sir. It is too bad. But we both know that he would have never played along. Hell, he had no idea what was happening right under his nose. Now we can put our own man into the chairmanship of the IAC. Our new friends in the UK will support any choice we make. I think you will be pleased with our decision.”

“Oh?”

“What do you think of Lt. General Hunter?”

“Nice idea. He’s the least senior member of our little temporal conspiracy, and he still outranks Straker. An excellent choice, General MacGruder.”

“Don’t expect Straker to go down without a fight once we start making changes,” said the General. “It’s one of the things I can’t help but admire about the man. His second in command is cut from the same cloth. Did you know that she once ordered an enemy craft destroyed, believing that her husband was onboard?”

“How did you come across that?”

“We have our ways, Mr. President. It does present a problem, however,” said MacGruder, as he lit a cigarette.

“I don’t see a problem at all. We simply make orphans of their children.”

MacGruder shook his head, thinking, this man is a real idiot. Such shortsightedness. He thinks he’s running this operation.

“Patience, Mr. President. We have plenty of time. Eliminating Straker and his wife at this stage of the game will raise too many questions. We don’t want to move too quickly until all of the pieces are in place.”

“Very well, but once we have the technology, I want them disposed of. I hate loose ends.”

MacGruder nodded in apparent agreement, as the President walked back to the White House. Don’t worry, Mr. President. I intend on disposing of the loose ends, all of them.

The recent turn of events had caught the attention of another government agency. In his Moscow office, located in the Lubyanka Building, Colonel Ivan Filtov reviewed the latest KGB intelligence estimate with concerned interest. The assassination of any world leader was cause for alarm but having the President of the United States taken out, in what could only be an inside job was the type of event that gave Filtov grey hair.

Across from him, his aid sifted through another stack of reports.

“This is insane, Yuri,” said Filtov. “I cannot believe the American Secret Service is so blind to this.”

“Maybe they are investigating it and we have yet to hear of the results, Comrade Colonel,” said Captain Kamorov.

“According to this report, from our agent in place, the new President seems more concerned with the new décor in the Oval Office than he is in finding his predecessor’s killer. And look at this report. All of the senior cabinet members have been replaced, almost overnight. Even more troubling, the new Secretary of Defense has replaced the entire JCS. This is unprecedented. Their military is supposed to be like ours, nonpartisan.”

Kamorov sipped his tea, “A most disturbing development, Comrade Colonel. I agree with you. This situation warrants very close scrutiny.”

Filtov stood, walked to the window, and looked down at the traffic below. In another few months snow will cover the city, he thought.

“Captain Kamorov, you are an intelligent man. I’m sure that you can see that change is coming for our country. Change can be difficult to accept.”

Yuri regarded his boss, “I don’t understand, Comrade Colonel.”

“Yuri, there is one thing we have learned from our operations over the years. Our fears of the west, while sometimes justified, have been greatly exaggerated. I’ve sleep rather well over the past few years, knowing that my two daughters are going to grow up in a better world than we did. The events of the past few weeks put that dream in jeopardy.”

“Do you believe that Leftfort is going to take a hard line in our relations?”

“A possibility, Yuri. We must be ever so diligent in our surveillance of our American neighbors,” said Filtov, as he stood at the window, hands clasped behind his back.

“Comrade Colonel, take a look at this.”

Kamorov handed his boss a sheet that was buried in the stack of intelligence reports, as the Colonel returned to his seat.

“Operation Phoenix?”

“Keep reading, Comrade Colonel.”

Filtov continued to read. When he finished, he leaned back in his chair.

“This is interesting, Yuri. I can almost infer that Operation Phoenix is a cover up. But what I find most intriguing is this Operation Oracle. Do we have anything on either of these two programs?”

“I’ve never heard of them, Comrade Colonel. I’ll have to crosscheck our records.”

“Do so, and get back to me with the results.”

“Yes, Comrade Colonel.”
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2011 at 1:56am by Matt »  

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 2:09am
Print Post  
Chapter 3:

A few days later, Ed walked through the control room, on the way to his office, when Doctor Jackson intercepted him.

“Commander Straker, if you have a moment, I have the autopsy report for the General. I would like to review it with you.”

“Yes, of course. Let’s go to my office.” Turning to Major Ford he said, “Keith, is Colonel Foster around?”

“Yes sir. He and Major Natiroff are doing a perimeter check.”

“Have him join me in my office when he is finished.”

“Yes sir.”

Straker strolled into his office, setting his briefcase aside, and closed the door behind Jackson. The coffee machine had just finished its cycle and Straker helped himself to a cup.

“Coffee, Doctor?”

“No thank you, Commander. I prefer tea instead of coffee. You should try it sometime.”

Straker sat down, behind his desk, and flipped open the report that Jackson had placed in front of him.

“I do drink tea in the evening. Virginia turned me on to it some years ago,”

“Hmm. Perhaps there was some wisdom in allowing the two of you to wed,” said Jackson, extending the prod.

“If you are looking for an argument, you won’t get one from me.”

A hint of a smile crossed Jackson’s face.

“I should hope not.”

Straker had always believed that Jackson would have made small fortune playing poker, as, even after more than ten years, he found it nearly impossible to read the man. While the two men had an adversarial relationship from the start, Straker had finally begun to believe that the good doctor did not carry a hidden agenda.

“Well, I don’t see anything in this report out of the ordinary, and judging from the size of the report, you were quite thorough.”

“Commander, I ran every conceivable test, for every possible scenario, and everything points to natural causes, of that I’m convinced. No criminal or alien evidence was indicated in the autopsy.”

“Doctor Jackson, Henderson went to see the President and the British Prime Minister. A week later, all three of them are dead. Doesn’t that strike you as strange?”

“Indeed, Commander. It was the reason that the autopsy report took so long. Make no mistake, I am deeply troubled by this turn of events,” said the soft spoken SHADO psychiatrist. “You must understand that I worked for General Henderson for several years before I transferred to SHADO. Believe me when I tell you, I was well motivated.”

“It’s still an unlikely coincidence,” said Straker, toying with one of his glass paperweights. “I don’t like a puzzle that I can’t solve. It’s a trait I share with my wife.”

Jackson stood to leave. Before he reached the doors he turned back to his boss.

“In the unlikely event that I uncover a hidden truth, you will be the first person to know.”

“Ah, so you do suspect that we’ve missed something.”

“The search for the truth is a never ending process, Commander. You, of all people, should know that.”

He isn’t buying it either, Straker thought to himself.

As Jackson left, Foster walked in.

“Hello, Ed. How was the funeral?

“Appropriately solemn,” said the Commander. “There are days that I never would have imagined saying this, but I’m going to miss that cranky old pain in the ass.”

“I’m sorry for your loss. I know that you’ve known him a long time. Virginia told me once, that you and Henderson were much closer when SHADO was first chartered.”

“There was more than enough blame to go around, Paul. Keep that in mind when you take this chair.”

“Are you going somewhere?” asked Foster, somewhat surprised.

“You never know. Maybe I’m just ready to retire and leave this mess for someone else.”

“Somehow, I don’t see that ever happening. I understand that you spent some time at home.”

“Yes, it’s something I don’t do nearly enough. Virginia and I took the kids to the New England Aquarium while we were in Boston.”

“They must have enjoyed that,” said Paul, as he helped himself to a cup of coffee and sat down.

“They did,” said Ed, handing him the autopsy report. “I think Virginia and I enjoyed it as much as they did.”

“Speaking of Ginny, where is she this morning?”

“She should be back in an hour or so. She’s taking out an insurance policy.”

“Can you hand me the number ten torx driver?” asked Virginia, from underneath the console of the alien craft.

“Here you are, Colonel.”

“Thanks.”

Ginny removed the four screws holding the module in place, taking care not to lose the screws or drop the module. She slid back the two locking bars and gingerly lifted the crystal lattice looking component from its housing.

“Would you grab this, Joe?”

“Sure thing, Colonel,” said Kelly, as he took the device from her hands.

“Don’t drop it. That might void the warranty,” she added.

Lt. Colonel Kelly chuckled as he placed the alien object in a protective shock proof case, while Virginia replaced the screws and closed the access panel.

Climbing out from underneath the control console, she switched on the main power and began entering her computations.

“Everything still seems to be functioning, Colonel Lake. Did we miss something?”

“No, this is how it’s supposed to work. We can still run simulated time jumps and the FTL propulsion system will still power up. But without the lattice matrix, neither the time circuits nor the FTL drive will engage.”

“It’s like hiding the keys to the car. It’s a great idea, Colonel.”

Ginny shut down the systems and closed the case containing the device. She attached the wrist chain bracelet and grabbed the case.

“I’ve been waiting for a chance to study this more closely. Now is as good a time as any.”

Virginia walked out of the underground hanger and up the stairs to the waiting SHADO jeep. She climbed in the back and the driver sped off for HQ with an armed escort in tow.

Straker and Foster were still reviewing the autopsy report when Virginia walked into the office, the case still attached to her wrist.

“What’s this?” asked Foster, as she set the case on Ed’s desk.

“The insurance policy I mentioned, Paul,” said Straker, reaching into his desk for a set of keys.

“Were you seen?” Ed asked his wife, as he unlocked the bracelet.

“I think so. Security seems to think we were tailed by at least three different vehicles. They got a partial plate on one of them…”

“Which will probably come up a dead end,” Ed finished.

While Virginia opened the case, Ed walked over to one of the unmarked panels on the far side of his office. He touched it in three distinct places with caused the panel to open. Inside was a hidden safe with a biometric lock.
Straker placed his hand on the circle and the inner door of the tiny vault opened.

“I never knew about this,” said Foster.

“It’s my husband’s bloody-mindedness surfacing again. You should have seen the expression on my face the day he took me up the hidden elevator.”

The molly shelter was an addition that Ed and Alec had insisted on when the base was constructed. It had remained a secret for years, until it was needed during the Timelash incident. Only the Commander, Colonel Freeman, and a select few on the security team had been aware of its existence.

Straker removed a device from the safe and placed it on his desk. It looked almost identical to the device that Virginia had removed from the alien craft an hour ago.

“They’re exactly the same,” said Paul. “Where did you find this one?”

“Take a closer look,” said Ed. “You should see a series of glyphs on the lower left hand corner. This unit came out of the damaged craft we salvaged from the Alaskan crash site two years ago. I had Lt. Colonel Wallace send it over last month.”

Paul Foster looked over the device, still appearing perplexed. Virginia took pity on him, knowing that computer science, especially alien computer science, was not his strong suit.

“It’s part of the alien computer core, Paul. An extremely vital piece,” she said. “The glyphs, on the side, are in the alien language. The research team believes that it is part of the encryption code which is stored in the lattice structure.”

“You mean holographic memory?” asked Foster.

“Exactly,” she said. “This module is unique for each and every alien craft. A module meant for one craft, will not work in another.”

Foster was no fool. He knew right away what Straker had planned.

“Shell game,” he said. “Three card Monte?”

“That’s right, Paul,” said Straker. “A good old fashioned flea flicker.”

“A flea flicker?”

“A football play,” said Ed.

“He means American football,” added Virginia. “The flea flicker was used to make the defense think that you’re going to run the ball, when in fact, you’re going to pass.”

“Oh,” said Foster, pausing for a moment. “How do you know so much about American football?”

“Well, many years ago, when I was Stanford, I dated the quarterback of the school team. I might have picked up a few things from him, about football that is,” she said, as she gave her husband an impish grin.

“Paul,” said Straker, as he placed the duplicate module back in the case and set the locks. “I want you to take this unit out to the research facility, using the same transportation that Virginia used. Joe Kelly will install it in the alien craft.”

“I’ll get right out there,” he said, attaching the bracelet to his wrist. “See you later.”

When Foster left the office, Ed turned to his wife, “I’ve always wondered how you knew so much about the game.”

“It isn’t my fault that you never asked,” she said, batting her eyes. “Are you jealous?”

“Maybe,” he said, but his face formed a grin. “Nothing that you do surprises me anymore.”

Virginia brought the lattice matrix over to the safe and carefully set it inside. She placed her hand on the illuminated circle, closing the inner door. She closed the outer panel and turned to her husband.

“Who knows about this besides, the three of us?” she asked.

“I’ve programmed the lock to open for Paul. He doesn’t know yet that he can open it. Alec doesn’t even know about the safe, although he can open it as well. The fewer people who know, the less likely it will be discussed.”

Ed seemed to be lost in thought, his eyes drawn to the mural behind his desk.

“You’re thinking about the IAC chairmanship. Have you heard anything yet?”

“No, he said, returning to his chair. “A special session of the UN Security Council is meeting this afternoon. I’ve been told that several of the key players have changed. The US and British delegates have been replaced, the Chinese have a new member as well.”

“I understand that Mr. Duvall is still there, as well as Vasily Padorin, surely they will support your appointment.”

“Maybe, but the United States still provides the lion’s share of SHADO funding. While I had a cordial relationship with President Moredeci, I know almost nothing about Leftfort.”

Ginny could sense that Ed was troubled over this. Not saying anything she waited for him to continue.

“Virginia, I’m not even sure I want the job. SHADO was Henderson’s baby, right from day one. Yet I had to fight him tooth and nail for each and every extra dime. Somehow, being on the other side of the fence doesn’t sit well with me.”

“I understand. While it may be true that Jim Henderson saw a bigger picture than you did, you’re forgetting something. Henderson never sat in this chair. You have,” said Ginny. “It’s a unique perspective that you’ll bring to the table.”

Virginia walked over to the desk and sat in the corner seat. She regarded her husband for a moment before speaking again.

“You’re afraid to let go of the reins, aren’t you.”

“Of course I’m not.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes I’m sure. I’d hand command over to you, or Alec, without a second thought,” Straker said, his voice somewhat elevated.

“Now you’re getting defensive.”

“I am not!” he said, louder.

“Aren’t you?” she asked, tersely. “Why are you raising your voice?”

“I’m not…” he stopped, realizing the she was right. He continued in a softer tone. “I’m not being defensive, Virginia. Truth be told, there is only one other person I would trust to sit in this chair.”

“Ed, we’ve been over this…”

“You really don’t think our marriage would survive?”

“I didn’t say that. What I said, was you being the chairman of the IAC will put us at odds with each other much more often than I’m comfortable with. Do I think we would manage? Yes, I do.”

Ginny stood and walked to the opposite side of the room. She leaned against the far wall, facing her husband, arms crossed. She seemed to be considering something. She finally spoke.

“Ed, if I didn’t think there was anyone that could step up, I would take the job. But there is someone else, someone who you’ve been grooming for the past eleven years. In my opinion, he proved himself six years ago. Why do you think I gave him command discretion on third watch?”

Virginia had overridden the standing orders for calling the commander or XO during an attack. It was a decision that had resulted in a long and heated discussion between the couple.

“You made the right decision,” said Ed, pausing. “I know he’s ready, I as much as told him that earlier. I just don’t want to see him fail.”

Virginia crossed the room and sat back down next to her husband.

“Remember when we were teaching the children to walk?”

“Vividly,” he said. “It seems like it was only yesterday.”

“Robert took to it right away, he ran right to Daddy,” she said, a fond smile adorning her face. “But Charlene had a bit more trouble, I didn’t want to let go of her, even though I knew I had to.”

“I think I see your point.”

“My mother had the same problem, Dad was gone and I was an only child. When I finished high school, I was only sixteen. I really wanted to go to Stanford and I’m sure the thought of sending her young daughter to a college several thousand miles away, gave her more than just a moment of pause.”

“Your mother said that you were very mature for your age.”

“If she ever knew what a hellion I was, she’d have never let me out of the house. You know, Ed, I wasn’t always prim and proper. In high school, most of my friends were guys. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t do anything so terrible, and I certainly wasn’t promiscuous. But if there was a practical joke or scheme going on, I was usually in the thick of it.”

“Somehow, I can’t picture that,” said Ed. “You’re putting me on, right?”

Ginny grinned, “No, I’m not. I think part of it was due to me being such a late bloomer. Until my third year at Stanford, I was all knees and elbows, skinny as a rail, no female attributes to speak of. My male friends looked at me as just one of the guys. That all changed when I blossomed, suddenly they had to deal with losing their pal and partner in crime, and I had to deal with their interest based on other reasons.”

“I get the picture,” said her husband. “Still, it’s hard to see you in the role of a troublemaker.”

“We were never malicious, and our missions were benign, with one notable exception.”

Ed’s eyebrows jumped in surprise, “Don’t keep me in suspense.”

“You can never tell anyone about this,” she said, feigning seriousness. One of the guys in our chemistry class was into racing model cars, you know, the liquid fuel type?”

“Yes, I’ve seen them.”

“The local club had sponsored a racing event, and one of my friends had an idea to boost the power of his fuel mixture. I looked over his formula and it seemed like it would work. So we scheduled time in the chem lab, under the guise of another project and went to work mixing his additive. Unfortunately for us, Marc misread the markings on the test tube. Instead of adding ten cc’s he added one hundred. When we started the test engine, it caught fire and spread over the entire work area. We knocked the fire down quick and the damage was minimal, but we both had to go before the department head. I think that the only reason that we didn’t get expelled was the fact that the race was a charity event, and the Professor of Chemistry was a big supporter.”

Ed shook his head, “I never would have believed that you would have been involved in something like that. It seems like everyone has a chemistry lab story to tell. So what ever happened to Marc?”

“He became the starting quarterback, the following year,” said Virginia, blushing slightly.

“You’ll have to tell me the rest of this story sometime. But getting back to Foster, you’re right. He is ready. In fact he’s been ready for a long time. But we may be putting the cart before the horse. It may be a gross assumption, on our part, that I’m going to be tapped for the job.”

“We should know by the end of the day. So, tell me about your chem lab story.”

“That, my dear Virginia,” said Ed, with a grin, “is a story for another time.”
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2011 at 6:29pm by Matt »  

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 3:21am
Print Post  
Chapter 4:

The UN Security Council met that afternoon, as scheduled. The outcome, of the meeting, sent shockwaves through the International Astrophysical Commission, and its subordinates including SHADO.

By a unanimous decision, the IAC had endorsed Edward Straker, to be appointed as President of the Commission. It was generally believed that the Security Council would follow the recommendation of the panel. But that was not to be the case. Despite strong objections from the Soviet Union and France, the new President of the IAC, Lt. General Gary Hunter, was elected in a three two split decision. Under the rules set forth, in the IAC charter, the IAC President was elected by a simple majority, not subject to a veto.

Straker accepted the news with mixed feelings. His wife had been right, he didn’t want to give up the reigns, but not because he had no one he trusted. For the past twenty years, SHADO had become the pinnacle of his life. It was a shining star of success and only his second marriage and his children rivaled its place.

Virginia had called it an unfair comparison, as she knew his dedication to duty was in fact, love, in its highest form of expression. Love for his family, his friends, his country, and his world. She knew that their children were safer due to his sacrifice. If only his ex-wife had been able to see that, she thought.

For the first few months, very little changed. General Hunter was cordial when Straker met him for the first time. In fact, Hunter spent most of his time in Washington, preferring to work out of his Pentagon office. He had even supported additional appropriations for several SHADO projects. Straker began to think that things may not be so bad. He had little idea how things were about to change.

Tuesday, December 25, 1990:

In the living room of the Straker residence, shredded wrapping paper cover the floor, as the Straker twins added to the pile.

While Lynn took pictures of the children, sitting on the floor with Ginny and his sister, Barbara, Ed watched from his easy chair.

God, they’re getting big, he thought. And Charlene looks more like her mother every day.

Also in attendance was, Katherine Howard, the teenager that Ed had rescued from the alien dome which was hidden in the depths of Loch Ness. Ed and his wife had taken the young woman into their home and helped arrange for her education. Katherine was 23 now, and she was due to graduate in June, slated to take a position in the SHADO research division. She had become an older sister for the kids, and both Ginny and he loved her like a daughter.

It was moments like this that could bring Ed Straker to tears, as he realized how blessed his life was. He had been given a second chance for happiness, and Ed deeply treasured these moments. Lynn, having handed the camera to Katherine, sat down in the chair next to him.

“They grow up fast don’t they, Ed?”

“Too fast. Before I know it, Bobby will be ready to start a family of his own, and Charlene, well, her father is going to be a blubbering mess walking her down the aisle.”

“I’m glad that she will have someone,” said Lynn.

“Yes, I know. It must have been hard on Virginia, growing up without her father. We had a long talk about it a few days after I asked her to marry me. I’m glad that Manfred was there for her on her wedding day. It meant a lot to her.”

“The Reinhardt’s were like adopted parents to Ginny. Although she was mature for her age, she also had her father’s mischievous streak. There are a few incidents that she still thinks I don’t know about. She seems to forget that I was once an SIS agent,” said Lynn, a twinkle in her eye. “She was only sixteen and I wouldn’t have allowed her to go to school so far away, without having a way to keep tabs on her.”

Ed had to fight to keep a straight face. His wife had shared some of her antics with him not that long ago. Children can never truly hide from their parents, he thought.

The phone chose that moment to ring and Ed stood to grab it. Saved by the bell.

“Straker residence.”

“General Straker,” said the disembodied voice of the IAC President. “Merry Christmas, I hope I’m not disturbing you.”

“Not at all General Hunter,” Ed lied. “Merry Christmas to you as well. I trust you are not working today.”

At the mention of the General’s name, Virginia was up off the floor and standing next to her husband. Her expression held more than just concern.

“Ed, I’m going to get right to the point. I need you in Washington right away. How soon can you get here?”

“It’s Christmas Day, General. I have a houseful of guests.”

“I’m sorry, Ed. It’s a matter of the upmost urgency.”

“I see. Very well then, let me call to get a flight scheduled. I’ll be flying into Dulles.”

“Excellent. I’ll have a car sent to meet you at the Shadair terminal. Call me when you’re on the plane.”

Straker hung up the phone and took his wife in his arms.

“I have to go the Washington. Hunter says it’s urgent.”

“I knew something was up. Come on upstairs. We can talk while I help you pack.

Virginia worked hard to hide her disappointment, but Ed knew she was not only upset, but worried. They excused themselves and climbed the stairs to their bedroom. Once the door was closed, Virginia turned to her husband.

“Did he give you any hint as to what’s going on?”

“No, and that bothers me. The IAC has played things almost hands off since Hunter took office. Now, out of the blue, he calls me to Washington. It’s either a real emergency, or something much more sinister is going on. No, I don’t like it one bit.”

“You still think he’s involved?”

“I think I’m about to find out,” said Ed, as he started placing items his suitcase.

While Ed packed, Virginia picked up the phone and dialed.

“Hello Tara, this is Colonel Lake. Would you notify the on call flight crew that the Commander has to fly to Washington?”

As he watched her on the phone, admiring her recently trimmed locks that brushed her shoulders, Ed remembered one morning at HQ. Ginny had been on the phone with security while standing on the upper platform, her back to him. The night before they had discussed their future plans over dinner, plans that included each other. He had known for years that he cared for her, but at that moment in time, he realized just how deep his feelings went.

“Yes, he’ll be flying into Dulles,” said Ginny, drawing his attention back to the present.

Ed had donned his uniform while she was on the phone. When she turned she gave him crooked grin.

“Have I ever told you how sexy you look in that,” she asked.

“More times than I can remember,” he said, taking her in his arms. “I was just thinking about the day that I realized just how much I loved you. It was the Monday morning after Mother’s Day. You were on the phone with security…”

“I remember that. You were awfully formal that morning. If it hadn’t been for the warmth in your voice, I would have wondered if I had scared you off. Our exchange over dinner was quite deep.”

“To be totally honest, after our conversation that night, I was scared. Scared falling for you, only to lose you, to the job, an accident, someone else, of moments like this, being summoned away, when all I really want, is to be with my wife and family.”

Virginia reached up and gave him a long kiss.

“That’s never been a problem with us,” she said. “Even when I lost my memory, I knew that I belonged to someone special.”

“And what of the children?”

“They believe their father is still a reservist. They know that sometimes Daddy has to leave when he doesn’t want to. Besides, you always make up for it by being a good father. There are so many men these days that are absent even when they are home. You shower them, and me, with mounds of affection. You’re a good man, Ed. You always have been, even when you tell me to put castor oil into the computer.”

The couple shared a hearty laugh over that.

“Give me a minute to get dressed, Ed. I’ll drive you to the airport.”

“You don’t have to…”

“I want to. Mom and Barbara will watch the kids.”

Forty minutes later, Virginia was waving goodbye, as her husband boarded the Shadair SST at Heathrow International Airport. This was not the first holiday that had been interrupted by the demands of their mutual occupation, and Ginny had resigned herself to the fact that their lives would always be subject to such interruptions. The way they coped with it, was to live each day, each precious moment, to the fullest. Their goodbyes were bittersweet, and their reunions, joyful and passionate. They never took each other for granted, both of them knowing that each day, could be their last.

Be safe, my love, she thought as his plane sped down the runway and leaped into the sky.

“He’s on his way,” General MacGruder said to the President, over the phone.

“Good. You know, General, I am not at all comfortable with this. Operation Oracle is one of the most highly classified military operations this country has ever undertaken.”

“Don’t forget our British partners across the pond, Mr. President. The only reason you were aware of it, was because of your stint as Secretary of Defense.”

“Yes, rank has its privileges. Look, General, I’ve read Straker’s profile. He’s a God-damn boy scout. In my opinion, telling him about this program is too risky. What makes you think that he will cooperate?”

“Because, Mr. President, he’s also career military. He didn’t get to be the Air Force’s youngest full bird by bucking the system.”

“I thought there was a full colonel who was in his mid twenties during the war?”

MacGruder rolled his eyes. What an idiot.

“He was twenty six, and he was Army Air Corps, not Air Force. As you should know, the time in grade requirements changed considerably after World War Two. Straker made Colonel by the age of thirty two so you know that he had an exceptional career. It was one of the reasons that my predecessor agreed to his promotion. Straker will follow his orders.”

“General, I shouldn’t need to remind you that SHADO has autonomy.”

This time MacGruder sighed audibly.

“Yes, from the individual governments, not from the Security Council. They passed a resolution, yesterday, giving General Hunter certain discretionary powers. At this moment, he is ordering SHADO security to allow our research team access to the alien technology. By the time Straker learns of it, we’ll already have our people in place.”

“His Chief of Security will never allow this without the Commander’s authorization.”

“The Resolution and Order have already been faxed to his office. Straker has continuously reported that they have been unsuccessful in cracking the technology. Hunter is going to use that to back him right into a corner. He will be forced to comply.”

“And if he resists?”

“Trust me, He won’t. What he will do, is try for an end run. In other words, find a way to circumvent his orders. I suspect that he will hold back critical information as well. Once we have access to the technology, this will be of no consequence. Major Wells is quite well versed in the scientific disciplines.”

“Once we have the technology, we can eliminate him altogether.”

The General shook his head.

“I would advise against moving too swiftly, Mr. President. We took a big risk by moving as fast as we did.”

“No pain, no gain, General. Keep me informed of your progress.”

Major Vladimir Natiroff also had his Christmas plans interrupted that day, and he was en-route to defuse the tense situation. A small contingent of military scientists had shown up at the research center with signed orders, from the IAC President, to begin an independent study of the alien craft. He was on the phone with his senior team member.

“I told them that no one is allowed access without direct orders from the Commander, sir,” said Lieutenant Bernstein.

“Very good, Lieutenant, I’m on my way there now. I’m only a few minutes out.”

“Yes sir. So far, they seem to be content to wait until you arrive.”

Natiroff had been told of the telex that had been received at HQ, authorizing this unprecedented visit. Colonel Blake had ordered it to be ignored until he could verify its authenticity with Straker. I don’t care if it is signed by the Czar of Russia, thought the Major. No one gets access unless I personally hear from the Commander.

Natiroff pulled up to the gate and stepped out of his car. The group was comprised of mostly military officers, a mix of British Royal Marines, American Air Force, and one civilian.
The leader of the group stepped forward and presented a sharp salute, which Natiroff returned.

“Major George Wells, sir,” he said, offering his hand.

“Major Vladimir Natiroff. I’m Chief of Security.”

“Ah, jolly good. My orders, Major.”

Natiroff quickly read the sheet verifying what he had been told on the phone. He looked at the authentication code at the bottom of the sheet. He turned to his Lieutenant.

“Have you authenticated the code?”

“I have, sir. It checks out. The order is authentic.”

“I see,” said Natiroff, looking back at the group. “Major, your papers are in order, but I am under strict instructions not to allow anyone access to this facility without a direct order from Commander Straker or Colonel Lake. Commander Straker is…”

“Yes, he is meeting with General Hunter as we speak. I’m sure that this will all be worked out by tomorrow…”

“Tomorrow? That’s preposterous,” said the civilian, who had not yet spoken. “We were told that we…”

“Come now, Dr. Kaiser,” said Wells. “I am sure that the Major has his own procedures that need to be followed.”

Wells returned his attention to Natiroff, “Forgive me, Major. We only wished to have a look at the craft before returning to our hotel.” The Major reached into his pocket and produced a card. “This is where we will be staying. If you would have Commander Straker, or his designee, contact me there to arrange a meeting, I would be most gracious.”

Natiroff nodded as the multinational contingent returned to their vehicles and left.

“It looks like the cat’s out of the bag, Major,” said Bernstein, to his boss.

“You could be right, Jeff. I’m going to assign you an additional two men for perimeter patrols.”

“Are you expecting trouble, sir?”

Natiroff turned to the lieutenant and chuckled, “I’m always expecting trouble.”
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2011 at 5:09pm by Matt »  

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 3:18am
Print Post  
Chapter 5:

General Hunter, a tall Marine in his late fifties, stood from his desk and greeted the Commander.

“My apologies for pulling you from your family on Christmas day, but as you will see this situation will not wait,” he said, as he shook Straker’s hand.

“Does this have anything to do with the alien threat, General? You spoke of security concerns over the vidlink.”

“In a manner of speaking,” said Hunter. “Please, have a seat Commander.”

Straker sat down in front of the General’s desk.

“Have you ever seen this document?” asked Hunter, handing the folder to the Commander.

Ed quickly scanned through the file, finding a scientific paper on faster than light travel. It was a translation of another document, a document he recognized immediately when he saw it.

“I’ve already seen this. Almost seven years ago. I trust this isn’t the reason I’ve been summoned here.”

“Of course not, Commander, but the paper you have in your hand is the genesis of another project. Have you ever heard of Operation Oracle?”

“No. I can’t say that I have. General, with all due respect, I’ve been pulled away from my wife and children, on Christmas Day, on a supposedly urgent matter. I would very much appreciate it if you would get to the point.”

Hunter leaned back in his chair and eyed the Commander, a hard expression etched in his face.

“I was told that you’re a hard ass. All right Commander, here it is, straight up. In 1936, an alien scourge came to this planet. They collaborated with the Nazi’s, during World War Two, and altered the natural history of this planet. As you are aware, the Nazi technology, some of it alien, was brought to the United States for study. After the war, a group of scientists and military leaders embarked on a project that was originally meant to correct that problem. That project is known as Operation Oracle.”

“I don’t understand General, how can you affect a historical event. It’s the past. It’s over, done with.”

“Operation Oracle is a time travel project, Commander.”

“I think you’ve been reading too much H.G. Wells, General,” said Ed, chuckling. “Time travel to the past is impossible.”

“That’s an interesting opinion for someone who has supposedly read Einstein’s paper on the subject. What would you say if I told you that we have a viable design?”

“I’m listening,” said the Commander, his voice carefully neutral.

“I see that I have your attention, good. The problem with our design is the power requirements. Forgive me if I don’t get all the details right, I’m not a scientist. From what I understand, it would take more power than the country produces in a week to accelerate enough neutrinos to open a portal in time.”

“Assuming I believe any of this, why are you telling me this now?”

“Two reasons, Commander. Operation Oracle is Eyes Only. It is never discussed over any electronic means. The second reason is my team is already in London to do an independent assessment of the alien craft.”

Ed’s expression became one of tightly controlled rage.

“You don’t have the authority to interfere with a SHADO…”

“The rules have changed, and now I do have the authority. Read this,” said Hunter, cutting him off.

Straker read the UN Security Council resolution which the General had handed him. He shook his head in disbelief, as he read the section granting the General the authority to oversee the study of any and all captured alien technology.

“Now, Commander, you will order your security staff to allow the Oracle team unfettered access to the captured craft. In addition, you will provide them with all of the research that has been prepared over the past six years.”

“I will strongly protest this with the…”

“Commander, this is not a discussion, and you no longer have such an option.”

Straker was stone faced as he considered all he had been told. Suddenly he realized what the General was leading to.

“General Hunter,” Ed began, trying to reason with the man. “Surely the originators of this project are not going to try to change history? You must be aware that any change in the past can have serious ramifications on the future.”

Hunter softened his look as he answered.

“You sound as if you speak from experience. Look Ed, as I said, I’m a military man, not a scientist. But I do know this much, millions died in a conflict that wouldn’t have, had our development not been tampered with. Operation Oracle was envisioned to fix that. Just think, if the Axis Powers been defeated early on, the Soviet Union, and The People’s Republic of China, would never have risen to power,” said Hunter, pausing. “You’re father in-law would never have been killed.”

“And my wife may never have been born,” countered Straker. “I can’t believe that this is even being considered.”

“There is another, more important, factor, Commander. The Soviet Union also acquired some of the alien technology after the war. Our intelligence reports indicate that they are working on a similar endeavor.”

“So, this becomes a new arms race,” said the Commander, in disgust.

“I understand your concern. I have been assured, that because of the amount of time that has passed, as well as the risk involved, the technology will be utilized only for historical research missions, or preventing the Soviet program from getting off the ground.”

Hunter stood suddenly and his demeanor was all business.

“You have your orders, Commander. That will be all.”

Straker got out of his chair and tossed the documents into his briefcase. He closed it and set the locks. He turned and left the office without saying a word.

Before leaving the Pentagon building, the Commander ducked into one of the restrooms. He looked at his image in the mirror, noticing that the color was drained from his features. Ed splashed water on his face, trying to wake himself up from a bad dream.

My God, they are all insane, he thought as he dried himself. One of Ed Straker’s worst nightmares was coming true.

“Do you have a moment, Comrade Colonel?”

Colonel Ivan Filtov turned to see his aid rushing to his side.

“Yuri, this must be important,” said Filtov. “Let’s go into my office.”

The two men walked down the narrow corridor to Filtov’s third floor office. The Colonel handed his heavy coat to his secretary and strode into his inner office. A pot of tea was already waiting on his desk.

Filtov availed himself of the tea, offering a cup to his aid.

“No, thank you, Comrade Colonel,” said Kamorov. “I was able to find a lead on Operation Oracle.”

“Please continue.”

“This project dates back to the early 1950’s, Comrade Colonel. While I was unable to obtain any specific information, the project coincided with the American effort to reverse engineer and study captured Nazi technology. I suspect that there may be a correlation.”

Filtov reached for his intercom, “Misha, close my door please, and see to it that we are not disturbed.”

“Yes Comrade Colonel.”

When they were in private, the Colonel continued.

“What I am about to tell you, Yuri, is classified. In fact, most of the story is known only to the Politburo,” said Filtov, pausing to sip his tea.

“After the war, both the Soviet Union, and the United States, obtained technology from Nazi Germany. While it is generally known that German engineering was ahead of its time, some of the technology was radically advanced, too advanced to be of German origin.”

Filtov allowed what he had said to sink in.

“If it wasn’t German technology, then where did it come from, Comrade Colonel?”

“I never saw it myself, but I know some of the men who did. They described some of this as, quite literally, out of this world.”

“Certainly you do not believe this, Comrade Colonel?”

Filtov stood from his desk, and walked to the window. Outside, a late December snowstorm had covered the Moscow proper with almost a foot of snow. Once again, he thought of his family, one of his daughters was to marry in the spring. He turned back to his aid.

“I do not know what to believe, my friend. I do know that our military research team examined the artifacts. One of the items was what could only be described as a, highly advanced, propulsion system. The problem our team ran into was providing ample energy to the system to produce a sufficient amount of thrust, to be useful.”

“It sounds like the system is most inefficient, Comrade Colonel. What possible purpose could it have?”

“Picture this, Yuri. An aircraft, equipped with this system, could accelerate to its top speed in a fraction of a second, and it could stop and hover just as quickly. Furthermore, a craft equipped in such a manner could do so, without subjecting its pilot to the G-forces of combat. This system defies all known laws of physics and aerodynamics.”

“But what kind of energy system would be small enough to power such a craft?”

“That, of course, is the problem. In 1970, it all became a moot point. All of the captured technology was collected, by order of the Premier, and turned over to a multinational research agency, made up of the United States, Britain, France, China, Germany, and the Soviet Union. Do you see a correlation?”

“Yes, Comrade Colonel. With one exception, these countries are all permanent members of the UN Security Council. Hardly a coincidence, I think. I would assume that all of these members turned over any Nazi technology they had?”

“So I am told. In addition, all of the research was immediately classified and sent along with the equipment. The only reason I know that copies still exist is what I am about to tell you.”

Kamorov watched his boss lose the color in his face. Bozhe Moi! He is sweating.

“How many directions or dimensions can an aircraft move in, Yuri?”

“Three, Comrade. Yaw, pitch, and roll.”

“So I thought as well. But there is one other dimension, time. Granted, strange things happen when you approach relativistic speeds, time dilation slows things down. What would you say if I told you that this propulsion system has the ability to change direction in time?”

“I am not a physicist, but even our high school students know that time travel violates special relativity.”

Filtov chuckled. His aid was a well educated man and he enjoyed the intellectual exchanges they would often partake in.

“Have you heard the expression, the universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.”

“That’s Haldane, yes, and I agree. But time travel, how is this possible?”

“Thirty years ago, our research team experimented with that aspect of the drive. But like the propulsion system, the temporal manipulation component required enormous amounts of energy. In fact, the energy requirements for this section were well beyond our capability to produce.”

“So it doesn’t work, Comrade Colonel?”

“Practically, no, at least not yet. But theoretically, the mathematics work out remarkably well. If the energy required could be somehow generated, the system could, in theory, produce a stable temporal vortex.”

“You think this Operation Oracle has to do with time travel, and the Americans are really toying with this, do you not?”

“I consider it a very distinct possibility, Yuri. Granted, Oracle could mean anything, but if the Americans are following this line of research, it could have grave geopolitical consequences. I’m sending you to our embassy in Washington. I want you to ferret out any information you can on this project. The information we have discussed today is for your ears only. You are not to share it with anyone, other than myself, or General Popov.”

“I understand, Comrade Colonel. I will leave at once.”

Kamorov stood to go when his boss spoke again.

“And Yuri?”

“Comrade?”

“Exercise extreme caution, my friend. I wish to see you alive and well when you return.”

“As always, Comrade Colonel.”

It was after six in the evening, when Ed stepped off the plane at Heathrow International. Much to Ed’s surprise, the blonde woman waiting at the gate for him was not his wife.

“Barbara! Where’s Virginia?”

“Home, with the kids,” said his sister. “Since they always monopolize Aunt Barb’s time when I’m here, and we never get a chance to catch up, Ginny thought it would be a good idea if I picked you up. How was your flight?”

“Not bad. You don’t hit much turbulence at sixty thousand feet. So, was this Virginia’s idea?”

“It was. You married a smart lady, Eddie.”

“A smart lady with an agenda,” said Ed, snickering, as they walked through the terminal. “She’s been after me to boot Alec in the ass for you. I told her that I was staying out of it, that you could handle him quite well on your own.”

“Yeah, I know. She told me what you said,” said Barbara, somewhat wistfully.

Straker stopped walking and turned to her. Alec Freeman was his best friend, but Ed was well aware of his reputation as a lady’s man.

“Is everything all right between the two of you? Alec isn’t wandering, is he?”

“Oh, it’s nothing like that,” said Barbara. “Alec is a wonderful man. He’s everything a woman could want in a husband, except…”

“Except what?”

Barbara sighed, “Except being my husband.”

“I see.”

They started walking towards the exit in silence. Virginia was trying to tell me something and I missed it, he thought, as they approached the car.

“Have you talked to him about it?” Ed finally asked.

“We have,” she said, “on numerous occasions. You know, Eddie. I think he really wants to, but he’s scared. Someone must have done a real number on him.”

“I know he was married once, a long time ago. Alec doesn’t talk about it, except once.”

Ed placed his carry on and briefcase in the trunk and closed the lid. The pair got in the car and Ed continued.

“As I’m sure you know, Alec and I met, in Thailand, in 1966. One night, about a week before I was shot down, he asked me to take a walk with him. We ended up at this hole in the wall near the airbase. Alec started drinking. In fact, the amount of alcohol he put away would have killed me. I didn’t even try to pretend to keep up with him.”

“You? Drink? I don’t believe it,” said his sister.

“I only had one, just so he wouldn’t have to drink alone. It didn’t matter, ten drinks later he was still sober as a judge.”

“Yeah, he can hold his liquor, although he’s cut down a lot since he had the brush with cancer,” added Barbara.

“Earlier that day, Alec received a letter from home. It was a Dear John letter.”

Barbara Straker looked out the window as Ed pulled the car out of the lot. When they hit the highway, she turned back to her brother.

“I already knew most of what you just told me. What I didn’t know, was the way he found out. I can understand why he would feel dubious about marriage. When George and I split, we just wanted out. At least we didn’t hate each other. But Alec still harbors a lot of animosity towards his ex-wife, even after all these years. You can’t truly move forward unless you forgive and let go of the past.”

“It’s funny,” said Ed. “That is the same thing that Mary told me in a letter a few years ago.”

“You heard from her?” asked Barbara, very surprised.

“Virginia and I had only been married a few months, and we had just found out a few days earlier that she was pregnant. Needless to say, our emotions were running rampant. When I saw the letter I almost threw it out, but Virginia told me to open it. Mary apologized for the way she treated me the night Johnny died. That, and a few other things,” said Ed.

“I’m glad she was able to let go, I’m sure it helped both of you.”

“I let Virginia read the letter. It brought her to tears.”

They drove in silence for a while.

“Do you want me to talk with him?” asked Ed.

“I don’t want him to feel pressured. As things stand, Alec and I have a great relationship. Even though we’re not married, he makes me feel like I’m his wife, but I have always believed that marriage does pull a man and a woman closer than they would be otherwise. I don’t know, Ed.”

“As I recall, you and Dad just about twisted my arm to get me to ask Virginia to dinner.”

“Do you regret it?”

“I can’t imagine my life without her in it. The only regret I have, is not asking her sooner.”
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 5:08pm by Matt »  

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 2:46am
Print Post  
Chapter 6:

The scientific team, from Operation Oracle, was allowed access to the alien craft the next day. Wells and his associates spent the first day pouring over the research notes written by the SHADO staff.

At the Commander’s request, his wife discreetly supervised the joint US-UK team. Halfway through the second day, Major Wells came into her office.

“Colonel Lake, do you have a moment.”

“Certainly, Major,” she said, indicating the chair next to her desk. “Please, have a seat.”

Wells closed the office door and took the chair which Ginny had offered.

“I’ve been through the summary page of every report written on the artifact, over the past seven years, and I can’t find anything indicating that any progress has been made on testing the time slip drive. I was under the impression that several successful tests had been conducted. Am I in error?”

“I’m afraid so, Major,” Ginny said, sincerely. “The best we have been able to do is simulate the time jumps. It took us over two years just to decipher the alien language. This spacecraft is an extremely complicated piece of equipment. It could take us years to discover and utilize all of the functions of the craft.

“I see.”

Major Wells seemed to be contemplating something. He finally spoke again.

“Colonel, is it your assertion that even the FTL drive has never been tested by your staff?”

“That’s right.”

“What would you say, if I told you that I saw a film, of this craft, that was taken a few months ago? Soon after you entered the vehicle, it up and disappeared. Do you have any thoughts on that?”

Virginia’s gaze never faltered. Ed had commented that she would make a good actress.

“Well, Major, since obviously, I’m still here, as is the alien craft, we didn’t just disappear into thin air. The film has to be a fake.”

“I was told by our chaps at the Pentagon, that it was legit. It was supposedly taken from a SHADO security camera. The time encoding is intact.”

“I don’t know what to tell you. It never happened. Did you find a way to adapt your design to the power system?” asked Virginia.

Wells shook his head, “I’m afraid it’s not going to be easy, Colonel. It can be done, but it will take the better part of two years to design the interface.”

“I’d like to see the design when it’s finished. It sounds like a fascinating undertaking,” said Ginny.

“I agree. Can you imagine? Harnessing the power of a quantum singularity, a micro black hole, virtutely unlimited power, it’s incredible. Well, if you happen to come across any other information, I assume you will bring it to my attention.”

“Of course, Major Wells,” she said, giving the Brit her most sincere smile.

“Thank you, Colonel. I shan’t take anymore of your time.”

Wells stood and walked out of the office. Well at least we know where the missing video is, thought Ginny. She picked up the phone to call her husband.

A few days later, Straker held a high level meeting in his office. In attendance, were Professor Reinhardt, Lt. Colonel Kelly, Lt. Colonel Wallace, Katherine Howard, and Colonel Lake.

“I would like to thank you all for coming,” began Ed. “I normally would handle this kind of meeting with a videoconference, but in lieu of some newly found facts I can no longer trust our communications security.”

The faces of the people around the conference table had various expressions of shock.

“How did this happen, Commander?” asked Kelly.

Straker nodded to his wife, “Virginia?”

“Three days ago,” she said, “I was working at the London Research Center, keeping an eye on our unwelcome guests. Late that afternoon, Major Wells, the team leader, came into my office.”

Virginia explained how Wells had described the video clip, showing the incident that had taken her back to the year 1862.

“I can only assume that the video, he saw, was the missing section of our surveillance records.”

“Correct me if I’m wrong, Virginia,” said Reinhardt. “It is my understanding that these video records consist of a time stamped encrypted data stream. The cipher is based on very large prime numbers making it next to impossible to decrypt.”

“That’s what the German High Command said about Enigma. They were quite taken back when they found out, after the war, that Bletchley Park had been reading their signals,” said Ed.

“The Enigma coding was child’s play compared to the encryption algorithms used today, Edward,” said Reinhardt.

“True enough, Professor. But I wouldn’t put our encryption beyond the capacity of the NSA to decode. I’m going to speak to out crypto people…”

“Excuse me, Uncle, I mean, Commander,” said Katherine. “Why can’t we use a triple encoded encryption algorithm?”

“I thought you majored in high energy physics?” asked the Commander.

“I did. Cryptography is a hobby of mine,” said Katherine, a bit embarrassed. “I can’t resist a good puzzle.”

“That’s a good idea,” said Jen Wallace. “I assume you are suggesting a different encoding scheme and key for each pass.”

“Of course,” said Katherine.

Straker couldn’t help but feel a twinge of pride at the young woman he and his wife had mentored.

“Just how well do you understand these concepts, Katherine?” he asked.

“I’m not an expert, Commander,” she answered. “But I’d like to think I have some good ideas.”

She was being modest, and Straker knew it.

“You know much more about the subject than you give yourself credit for. For those of you that don’t yet know, Katherine Howard is going to become the newest member of the SHADO research team. She is due to graduate in June, but after pulling a few strings, I was able to arrange for her to finish her degree long distance, if you will. Professor, Miss Howard will be accompanying you to our facility in Australia. You will both be reporting to Colonel Freeman. Katherine, in addition to assisting the Professor, I want you to work with Lt. Watson on the new encryption system.”

“Mike Watson,” she asked, unable to contain her excitement.

“Yes, I believe the two of you know each other.”

Katherine blushed deeply with that, causing Straker to grin slightly. Howard and Watson had met the day she and the Commander had been rescued from the alien dome at Loch Ness and the pair had taken to each other. Your Uncle Ed doesn’t miss anything, he thought, enjoying her brief moment of discomfort. They had become good friends and were discreetly dating each other for over a year when Watson was transferred to the new facility, a few months prior.

Ed turned to Lt. Colonel Kelly, “Joe, you and Virginia will continue to keep an eye on our guests, here in London. Jen, you will be going to our facility at Dreamland. The non operational alien craft was moved there a few weeks ago. I want you to salvage every part of the alien computer core that has any change of being utilized and send it to Australia. I have a sinking feeling that our little sleight of hand with research records, is not going to go unquestioned for much longer. I’m surprised that General Hunter hasn’t called me on the carpet yet. Ladies and Gentleman, keep this in mind, we are playing a very high stakes game of cat and mouse.”

When the meeting broke up, Virginia remained behind. She looked across the table at her husband, a slight smirk on her face.

“What?” asked Ed.

“Tell me again, you’re not a romantic,” she said. “You just made her day.”

“I’m not sending her down there for fun and games, Virginia,” he replied, in a serious vein. “Her description of the algorithm needed, was very close to the plan Lt. Watson came up with a month ago. It doesn’t hurt to have another set of eyes on the problem.”

“If you say so,” she added, facetiously grinning at her husband. “How long do you think it will be before Hunter starts breathing down your neck?”

Ed leaned back in his chair and sighed. “I expected to hear from him the first day, this is crazy. It’s a case of, do they know that we know?”

“The only complication I can think of would be the surveillance records after the ship vanished. If someone were to obtain those recordings…”

“I know. I ordered Major Natiroff to destroy those records, starting at the point where the video is lost. It’s been logged as a defective hard drive RAID controller, so no one will be held accountable for the data loss.”

“Cute,” said Virginia. “I think you’ve been hanging around Jackson too much.”

“Sometimes, to catch a scoundrel, you have to be a scoundrel.”

General Hunter showed up the next day, fit to be tied. Unlike Henderson, Hunter always arrived in full dress uniform, necessitating the explanation of a US Marine Corps Lt. General showing up at the studio. Of course, nothing was considered unusual by the staff running the operation. Since becoming operational in the late seventies, they were sure that they had seen it all.

Hunter waltzed into Straker’s office with a superior air about him.

“Close the door, Commander.”

Straker wordlessly reached over and flipped the switch. He looked up at the General.

“You’ve been out of the real military too long, Straker. Have you forgotten how to treat a superior officer?”

“General Hunter, one of the nice things about being Commander in Chief, is I don’t have to explain my actions. As I once told your predecessor, you get the money, I run the store.”

“I could have you replaced, Commander.”

“It would take a unanimous decision from the commission, something I think you would have a very hard time securing. Why don’t we get to the real reason that you are here.”

Hunter set down his briefcase and opened it. He removed a disk and inserted it into the video display across from the Commander’s desk. The monitor flickered and Straker recognized it as a clip from the London Research Center security camera.

“Do you recognize this man?” asked Hunter, as he paused the playback.

“That’s Lieutenant Michaels,” said Ed. “He died about six months ago, in a traffic accident.”

“Yes, a pity,” the General said, a distinct lack of sorrow evident in his voice. Hunter restarted the tape. “Let’s get right to it Commander. A few minutes after Michaels left the room, your wife shows up and boards the spacecraft. Watch what happens next.”

Ed had never seen this video before. He watched as the spacecraft began to glow when Virginia activated the power systems. Two minutes later, a flash of light filled the screen, followed by what sounded like an explosion. Even though he knew what was going to happen, seeing it firsthand had made him uneasy.

Hunter turned back to the Commander, “There is nothing about this incident, or the subsequent operation that followed, in any of your research logs. Care to explain that, Commander?”

“There is nothing to explain,” said Ed, his voice carefully neutral. “Your Major Wells told my wife about this recording. It’s obviously a fake.”

“Commander, you and I both know that it’s impossible to fake the timestamp encryption on these recordings…”

“Almost impossible,” Straker corrected.

“Whatever. The bottom line is this. Lt. Michaels is, was, a military intelligence agent, working under the authority of Operation Oracle. He collaborated the information which is shown in this video. If you remember correctly, I ordered you to turn over all of the information. That is an order that I can give you, Commander. It’s an order that you have not complied with.”

“Well, General, it would seem to me that you don’t have anyone to testify in front of the commission. Michaels is dead. Has anyone on the Oracle team found anything that is contradictory to the reports provided by my staff?”

Straker eyed the General, staring him down. I’m holding aces over kings, what are you holding?

General Hunter returned his stare, escalating the unspoken war of wills. He finally relented.

“Very well, Commander. I’m going to speak to Major Wells and his team. You had better pray that I don’t find anything else to support this story.”

Hunter closed his briefcase and stormed out of the office. I’d rather face a fleet of UFOs than have to deal with this, thought Straker, as he watched the General leave.

Later that day, Hunter paid a visit to the Oracle team.

“If it’s a ruse, General, it is a bloody damned elaborate one,” said Wells, to his superior officer. “Dr. Kaiser and I have been through all of their research notes and we can find nothing to support the events depicted by the video. Are you absolutely sure Michaels was being forthright?”

Hunter nodded, “George, I handpicked him for this mission almost seven years ago, right after General MacGruder informed me of the alien ability to manipulate time. He stumbled across the information, by chance, when he was given a tour of SHADO HQ a year before. As incredible as it may seem, the aliens apparently have the ability to expand a moment in time.”

“It’s my understanding that both Straker and Lake were involved in that incident. Is that true, General?” asked Kaiser.

“It is, Doctor. Apparently, they suffered from trauma, due to the incident, and were relieved of duty for a few days to recover. During the General’s tour, SHADO was faced with another incursion. While Colonel Freeman was occupied with the crisis, MacGruder was able to discreetly peruse through the report on the incident without being noticed.”

“They left him unsupervised?” asked Wells.

“He was a member of the JCS. Who is going to question him?” Hunter responded, rhetorically. “Back to the problem at hand, have you been able to discover how the alien craft functions?”

“The SHADO notes on that regard are very precise. The controls all appear to do exactly what they are documented to do,” said Wells. “Incidentally, the linguistics people have no idea how they were able to decipher the alien language so quickly. It is a very complex language, unlike anything that we have ever encountered.”

“There must be a crucial step missing, Major. Find it.”

“Yes sir. We shall do our best.”

Outside the London Research Facility, Captain Yuri Kamorov watched the US Marine Corps General walk to his vehicle. He zoomed in on the General’s face with his field glasses.

“Pavel, that is Lt. General Hunter,” he said to his driver.

“Are you certain, Comrade Captain?”

“I am most certain.”

Kamorov pulled out his long lens camera and snapped several shots of the General before he was driven off.

“We must inform Colonel Filtov at once,” he said.

“It would appear that there is more going on here than movie special effects, Comrade Captain.”

“True enough, Pavel. I hope you put your affairs in order before you left home. We may be here a while,” said Kamorov, as he pondered the warning his boss had given him when they last met.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2011 at 2:06pm by Matt »  

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Chapter 7:

Over the next few months, the Oracle team continued to study the alien craft, while General Hunter continued to pressure the senior SHADO staff, particularity Colonel Lake, for more information concerning the alleged time journey to 1862.

“General Hunter, how many times do I have to tell you, the time slip drive doesn’t work, at least we haven’t figured out how to make it work,” Virginia said to him, one late February morning.

“Is it possible that you simply don’t remember the trip? I’m sure that it would have been a traumatic experience.”

“Don’t patronize me, General. If I had journeyed to 1862, I’m quite sure I would have remembered it?”

“Colonel Lake, I have an eyewitness account of this ship disappearing, with you in it. According to Lt. Michaels, you were sent to the Nevada Territory, along with the alien craft. I just came across information that SHADO mounted an operation near Virginia City, Nevada, two days after this incident was alleged to occur.”

“SHADO routinely runs operations around the globe, General. As to your Lt. Michaels, it would appear that he is, sadly, no longer with us. Tell me, General, was he eliminated by your people because he knew too much about your operation?” asked Virginia, having been pushed to her limit.

“You’re out of line, Colonel,” snapped the General.

“No, General. It’s you, who is out of line,” Ginny countered, her temper fully fired now. “I’ve had it with your badgering, and your condescending attitude. My people have shown you, and your Oracle team, every courtesy. We have told you all that we know, enough is enough. Now if you will excuse me, I have quite a bit of work to finish.”

She reached down and opened the door to her office.

“Maybe I should question your children as to your whereabouts that week, I’m sure that they…”

“Don’t you even think about going anywhere near my children,” she said, getting up from her chair and closing the distance between them.

“Why Colonel Lake, that sounds like a threat.”

“A mother protecting her young can be a dangerous adversary,” said Ginny, her voice now like ice. “You take it any way you want to, General. Just stay away from our children.”

“This is insubordination, Colonel.”

“And what you just suggested is a violation of security protocols. I could order you held for that.”

“You wouldn’t dare,” said Hunter, chucking.

“Try me.”

Virginia held his glance with her own icy glare. A minute later, the General lowered his gaze.

“I suppose you would, at that. Okay, you win this round, Colonel. But I assure you, this isn’t over.”

Ginny watched him turn and walk out of her office. No it’s not, General. Not by a long shot. She reached down and picked up the direct line to HQ.

“Keith, it’s Colonel Lake,” she said over the phone. “Get Major Natiroff on the line.”

Virginia knew that Hunter was not to be trusted and she decided to take precautionary measures.

“Major, it’s Colonel Lake. I want to increase the command security detail. Let’s add two more positions.”

“I can arrange that, Colonel. I’ve tried to persuade the Commander for a month now…”

“He doesn’t know, yet. I’ll tell him later.”

“I see. I assume you want the new arrivals to be discreet?”

“I’d appreciate it, Vladimir. One more thing, if General Hunter or any of his staff show up at the house, without Ed or I being home, detain them.”

“Are you expecting trouble, Colonel?”

“I’m not sure, Major. Hunter just made a comment about questioning the children.”

“Set your mind at ease, Colonel. They won’t set foot inside your home. I promise you that.”

“Thank you, Major.”

Virginia relaxed a bit when she hung up the phone. Natiroff’s loyalty was above reproach but he was a father himself. She was confident that her family would be looked after. Now I just have to explain this to Ed. He hates extra security.

General MacGruder walked down the hallway leading to the Oval Office. Upon entering, he came to attention in front of his Commander in Chief.

“Ah, General, thank you for coming. Please, have a seat.
MacGruder sat in the chair, thinking, I don’t know how much more, of this pompous ass I can take.

“Thank you, Mr. President.”

So, tell me. How is the research project fairing, General? The last report I read, indicates that we are no closer to solving this puzzle than we were six months ago. Did putting pressure on the SHADO command staff provide any new insight?”

“I’m afraid not, Mr. President. General Hunter made a serious attempt to rattle Colonel Lake. She ended up twisting his tail. Straker and his staff have covered their tracks well. If I wasn’t absolutely sure of our information indicating otherwise, I’d be convinced that the time travel events never happened.”

Leftfort leaned back in his chair, his expression poker-faced.

“I told you it was a waste of time keeping the Commander and his wife around. No matter, I have another way to achieve our objectives. Did you know that the KGB has a pair of agents observing your operations?”

“That’s impossible! We’ve taken every conceivable precaution to maintain security,” said MacGruder, testily.

Leftfort pulled a photo from a folder on his desk and handed it to the General.

“Recognize this man?” asked the President.

MacGruder looked at the picture. It was taken with a zoom lens from a distance, but the image of General Hunter, climbing into a vehicle, was clearly visible.

“Where did you get this, Mr. President?”

“The CIA has an agent in place at KGB headquarters. She has been there for some years now. The DDI has made another offer to extract her.”

“Well, it’s easily explained away. Hunter was taking a tour of a movie studio special effects operation. So what?”

“General, if this was the only photo then that explanation may suffice. But this is just one of many, taken over a period of several weeks. The audio recordings, taken of this fool, are much more damning. The Russians are most certainly aware of what is being researched here.”

“What audio recordings, Mr. President?”

“It would seem that General Hunter and Doctor Kaiser were discussing some test results out in the open. I’m sure that I don’t need to mention the capabilities of the latest audio surveillance equipment, you can pick up a whispered conversation a half mile away.”

MacGruder looked embarrassed, “How badly are we compromised, sir?”

“Funny you should put it that way, General. No matter. As always, I have an alternate plan. This little misstep will work to our advantage. For the time being, have Hunter lay off the SHADO staff, in another few weeks, they are going to have bigger fish to fry.”

“Can you be more specific, Mr. President?”

“Not at this time, General, although I can tell you, that our Russian friends are being dealt with as we speak. Now if you will excuse me, I have a meeting with my Chief of Staff. Good day, General.”

MacGruder stood and came to attention and turned to walk out. For the first time since he started this conspiracy, he felt as he had lost control of it. Leftfort had seemed to be the perfect patsy, a figurehead to shield the operations behind the scene. The man he just met was certainly nobody’s fool. What the hell is he up to?

This is insane, thought Lt. Commander West, as he and his team closed in on their objective. It had been almost ten years since an order to kill a foreign agent had been carried out, and that agent had been a double.

Commander West and his team of Navy Seals had been unofficially on loan to the CIA for over two years. He and his team were experts at targeting and capturing enemy agents alive, but today, there would be no such mercy. The order had come straight from the top. West knew that such an order would invoke fierce retaliation from the other side.

“We have them in sight, Commander.”

“Very well. Remember, disable the vehicle first.”

West peered through his field glasses as the Ford Sierra, driven by the two Russian agents, approached the heavily wooded stretch of road, a perfect spot for an ambush.

“So, Pavel, where are you off to this evening?” asked Vasily Karmarov, as the pair drove down the isolated country road.

“I thought I might visit that small pub, just down the street from the hotel, Comrade Captain. Although I don’t expect to find a women nearly as beautiful as the one I have been watching all week.”

“Pavel, Pavel,” said Karmarov, in a fatherly tone. “I’ve already told you to forget about her. According to her dossier, she is quite happily married to the managing director of this film studio.”

“Is there a picture of her in there?” asked the young Soviet lieutenant.

Yuri thumbed through the folder and handed the file shot to his driver. Karmarov was ten years, married to his childhood sweetheart, but that didn’t stop him from admiring the image in the photo.

“Here you are, Pavel. I have to admit, she is a very attractive lady.”

“Oh, thank you, Comrade. I think I will…

“This is interesting,” said Yuri, interrupting his aid. “This woman appears to be much more than just window dressing. According to her bio, she holds a doctorate from Stanford in high energy theoretical physics. I find this most intriguing, Pavel.”

“Brilliant and beautiful, a dream…”

Suddenly the wheel pulled to the right as the tires blew out. Pavel overcompensated and the car slid sideways down the roadway finally coming to a stop. Before they could get out of the car, a squad of four men approached the vehicle, weapons drawn.

Well, I knew we would be caught one of these days, formed Karmarov’s last thought, as the team opened up with their silenced weapons.

West watched the carnage through his binoculars, as his team filled the vehicle with gunfire. Their orders were quite specific as how the vehicle and its occupants were to be left.

“Target negated, sir.”

“Very well,” said West, “let’s wrap up and get the hell out of here.”

“What’s this all about, Commander?” asked his second.

“Someone is being sent a message, Lieutenant. I just hope the hell that it doesn’t blow up in our faces. This could get real ugly, real fast.”

That evening Virginia and Ed had just put the children to bed when the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it, Ed,” said Ginny, as she rose from the couch and went to the door.

When she opened the door, she was met by a man and a woman.

“Mrs. Straker?”

“Yes.”

“I’m Inspector Boyd, and this is Inspector Hanson, Scotland Yard. Might we trouble you for a moment of you time?”

“Of course, please, come in.”

Virginia led the two agents into the living room just as Ed returned from the kitchen.

“Ed, Inspectors Boyd and Hanson from Scotland Yard,” said Ginny, making a quick introduction.

“Well, what can my wife and I do for you? Is Scotland Yard looking to make a recruitment film?”

“I wish our visit was for something that mundane, Mr. Straker.”

Hanson opened her bag and handed a pair of photos to Ed and Ginny.

“Have either of you ever seen these two men?” she asked.

They took the photos and looked them over, but when they switched pictures, Virginia spoke up.

“I recognize this man. I literally bumped into him yesterday at the market.”

“Do you know him, Mrs. Straker?” asked Boyd.

Virginia shook her head, “No, other than yesterday, I’ve never seen him before. Why?”

“Mr. Straker, I was told by my station chief that you are still a US Air Force reservist, and because of that, I am authorized to share this information with you. The man that your wife recognized is a Russian national by the name of Pavel Bezuhov. It is our suspicion that he is a lesser known KGB agent. The other man is Captain Yuri Karmarov a senior aid to Colonel Ivan Filtov, KGB First Directorate.”

“Why would the KGB, be interested in a film studio operation?” asked Virginia.

“We don’t know if they were interested in the studio, but they were interested in you. We found a vehicle, near your special effects division, which had been shot up by heavy weapons fire at close range. Both Karmarov and Bezuhov were killed in the attack. In the vehicle, we found a dossier, containing your picture and biography, Mrs. Straker.”

“I don’t know why the KGB would be interested in me,” said Virginia, being very coy. “By day, I’m an Executive Producer and by night, I’m a very happy wife and mother. Do you have any idea who killed these people?”

“I’m afraid not, Mrs. Straker. For the time being, we are keeping a lid on the identities. But as soon as this story hits the press, the proverbial shit is going to hit the fan, pardon my expression. I can’t even begin to think of the political fallout. I had hoped that you might have noticed them or anyone that could have been following them,” said Boyd.

“You may get a visit from MI-6 as well,” added Hanson. “This case is being pursued along several avenues, due to its high profile nature.”

“I can understand why,” said Ed. “If you will leave a number where we can reach you…”

“Of course,” said Boyd, reaching inside his jacket for a card. “Inspector Hanson or I can be reached at this number, day or night.”

“Thank you, if my wife or I can remember anything that might help, we will be in touch.”

“We appreciate that, Mr. and Mrs. Straker. We shan’t take anymore of your evening. Good night.”

Ed showed the pair out. When he came back into the room, Virginia turned to him and said, “Hunter?”

“That would be my first guess, darling. With him flashing brass all around, someone was bound to notice him.”

“Maybe we are reading too much into this, Ed. Do you really think he would actually have these agents killed?”

“I don’t know,” he said, taking her in his arms. “I’m not sure about anything anymore. I think this goes deeper than Hunter.”

“Don’t you think it’s very odd that Hunter stayed in his Pentagon office?” asked Virginia. “And even when he’s here, he’s always on the phone with General MacGruder…”

“MacGruder? Hunter has been in touch in him?”

“On a regular basis, hell, if MacGruder was a woman, I’d think they were having a fling.”

“Virginia, do you remember the conversation we had just before Timelash, it was about an hour before you left Moonbase?”

“Yeah, I do. You mentioned something about one of the members of the JCS taking a tour of the base. Come to think of it, it was MacGruder. Alec had to give him the Cook’s Tour while you and I were on leave.”

“And there was a UFO incident that day. If he got a look at a Timelash report…”

“How is that possible? Timelash and all of the information is Omega classified…”

“Yes, now it is. But back then, anyone in the control room could have picked up a report and thumbed through it. And who, other than Alec or Paul, would have questioned a four star general with clearance. Think about it, Alec would have been distracted by the incursion. He would be standing behind the communications station. The outgoing reports were stacked on the old disk pack drive unit.”

“My God, Ed. Didn’t MacGruder sponsor Lt. Michaels? He started training about two months after the General’s visit.”

“Yes, it’s all starting to make sense now. I don’t think Hunter has the moxie to pull something like this off, but MacGruder? I wouldn’t put it past him. We had better start making some contingency plans, in case this blows up.”

“I can’t see us going to war with each other over this, I mean, all the major powers know of the alien threat.”

“World War One, started with a single bullet. While our bloody-mindedness can be our greatest strength, it can also be our greatest downfall.”

Virginia pulled her husband closer, remembering the details of his recurring nightmare. The scene of destruction, Ed had described could easily be the result of a nuclear shoot-out. That, coupled with her own recurring dream of alien invasion, suddenly seemed like a more probable future. For the first time in years, she was truly frightened.
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2011 at 4:50pm by Matt »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo