SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Destiny by Snowleopard (Read 9503 times)
SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

Destiny by Snowleopard
Jul 10th, 2018 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Is finally uploaded to the Stacks.  Smiley
(It's summer, I've had computer upgrade issues and it's summer.  :Smiley)

The Administrator.
IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Re: Destiny by Snowleopard
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Many thanks for your efforts, Librarian! (Summer and computer upgrades.. oh dear  Wink  )
I've just noticed that I posted a few minutes after you did. It's OK, I haven't been sitting here tapping my fingers - I'm just back from the dentist, needed something to cheer me up, so had a quick look! Cheesy Cool

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Yay! You made my morning, SnowLeopard! So delighted to see the story up. It's probably going to take me awhile to read it all but thanks so much for your hard work, despite computer glitches. We've been having those in abundance at the library where I work. Then a big storm last week knocked out our phone system and we finally have a temporary fix. Sheesh! Technology is wonderful while it works. LOL! Smiley

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
It's me back again. I actually had a bit of time to read part of the first chapter and I just wanted to say you came up with a unique way to get Chrys out of Paul's life. Well until I read more I guess that part remains to be seen. Only thing I was hoping that Paul would express more emotions over Ed's supposed death. But maybe that's to come later, unless he doesn't believe the man's really dead yet. Oh I can't wait to read more. Just wanted to let you know my thoughts right now before I forget. LOL!

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Oh my God! What another monster of a story, SnowLeopard and so very, very good! I finished it late last night. I bet you were exhausted when this was finished. Terrific story all the way around and now things have been explained. Even Henderson was saved. And I liked what you decided to do about Johnny.
Next story (because I know there's another sequel coming), could you put just a bit more brotherly interaction between Ed and Paul in it for me or perhaps more trouble for Paul with Ed coming to the rescue again?
Can't wait for more and I hope you don't have anymore computer issues either. I know that just adds to the frustration factor. Been there, done that... bought the t-shirt (as Jack O'Neill would say).

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 5:08am
Print Post  
Glad you liked it, Debbie! (wipes silly grin off face...  Cool  )

Yes there's more to come, though in my original conception of the plot (many years ago!!) I hadn't moved things on beyond that climax. But there was so much ground to cover that I moved some bunnies out into different fields, and as bunnies do, they multiplied and bounded off all over the place. One or two of them promised to grow very large indeed, and would indeed need much more attention.

Ah yes, Johnny. It was only at the last minute that I realised he could (should?) be the biggest bunny of the lot. When I finally sent 'Destiny' off, I didn't have the faintest idea what to do with him. But you've given me a few ideas. Perhaps I'll send Paul after him..

Yes, the 'brother thing' needs to be explored more. Currently Ed and Paul have been too busy; that scene in the car was all they had time for. Granted some months have passed since the events of 'Blue Books', but as Alec notes, it's a lot to get their heads round. I must give it some thought.............

Re Chrys: I thought about just 'killing her off' or finding someone else, but I wanted to try something else, just for a change. Glad it worked.

And what about Mary? My original concept had her and Ed re-marrying.. but when I thought about it in more detail, I knew it wouldn't be quite that simple. As Ed says, she would have to absorb a load of frankly incredible stuff, and she would certainly have problems getting her head around that! So I moved that particular bunny to yet another field, and right now I've no idea what it's getting up to!

I ran out of characters, continuing in next post!

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Both Paul and Mary are quite complex characters, I think. Paul is a test pilot, and so must be capable of great self-control, as well as having a tightly reined-in imagination and an ability to relax completely whenever he possibly can. OK he loses his temper with Henderson in 'Conflict', but he doesn't storm out - he accepts Ed's discipline.

We don't see a lot of Mary, but the few glimpses we do get are quite telling, I think. I really can't see a man like Ed Straker marrying a bimbo, or wanting a 'trophy wife', or allowing himself to be a 'trophy husband'. He'd want a friend and companion. And Mary can drive (and her new husband lets her!!); she knits; she reads books not just magazines. She doen't get on with her mother too well, as that phone-call in 'Confetti' shows - plus the fact that the mother doesn't turn up at the hospital.

So I filled out her skillset a bit. Not sure where that one will go. (Hmm.. Paul and Mary.. Hmmmmmmm!)

(I had to remind myself which one Jack O'Neill was,  I confused him with Daniel Jackson!  Shocked)

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
SnowLeopard,

I am enjoying your story greatly and making my way through part II. The only thing slowing my progress is a pair of aging eyeballs...

Well-crafted story with multiple threads wrapping slowly around the May-Pole while the bunnies do their thing. I'm eager to see how it unfolds and wraps up.

Your story has punted my regular reading list to the small, simmer burner at the back of the stove... Again, well done.

Moo

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Well, SnowLeopard, I'm excited to see where you take your story next. Yes, Paul and Mary, mmmmmm. LOL!
But the aspect of Johnny I think will really make your story. And I do like the idea of Paul going after him and probably put himself in danger and then perhaps Ed has to get him out of it. Here's another idea, and forgive me if we've talked about this before. But there will be a confrontation where Ed will have to choose to save Paul or Johnny. Whatever dire straits you put them both in. Hee hee! I'm evil.
Oh Jack O'Neill was the sarcastic colonel. Poor Daniel had to put up with that man. Grin

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Finally finished. An epic story well told. I'm eager to see what comes next.

Moo

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #10 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 4:27am
Print Post  
So am I...  Wink

Thanks for the kind comments Moo, and nice to hear from you again!

Debbie, yes I think it's time to find out what happens to Johnny. As for Ed having to choose between him and Paul, that one would have to be handled very carefully. It could destroy him. Perhaps that's what Bosan has in mind.. 'an impossible personal situation'.

I must brew that one up a bit  Shocked

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Oh please brew away on that part, SnowLeopard. Whatever you decide though I'm sure will be super! Wink

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:06am
Print Post  
The brew has distilled off some ideas.. Wink
First off, I'll have Tyl Merrel teach Paul the test pilot how to fly a skimmer. Then I'll have Sarah bring Johnny back to Earth as her son (he's forgotten who he is!)
Then we'll have to have a Situation.
Ed won't be happy. I just hope he's strong enough...

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 11:59am
Print Post  
What's amazing is that the aliens had Johnny frozen as a child that entire time. I'm assuming he's still the same age as when he died. Unless they had a procedure that let him grow up naturally but still in suspended animation. Normally, with that process, you don't age at all, but these are aliens we're dealing with so who knows. What's neat with this is you can have him mentally programmed against Ed to begin with and even try to kill him, whether Johnny's a child or not. I better stop now or I could go on. LOL! Cool

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Ah. well, you'll recall that I mentioned stasis boxes, and one of the Antarctic ones had a mediaeval gent in it... so a few years should be ok!

I haven't yet decided how 'clever' these stasis boxes should be. As you say, would they allow an immature specimen to reach adulthood, and be more useful to them? Would they leave some young specimens in complete stasis? Endless possibilities!

Still not sure about the 'son-kills-father' thing. Star Wars has done that twice already.. But of course it doesn't have to go that far. Hmmmmmm. Perhaps instead Johnny will go after Paul for 'revenge' of some kind.. More possibilities!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo