SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Beta Matters (Read 3771 times)
SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Beta Matters
Mar 23rd, 2017 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
I just hope he remembers what he said to Paul in 'Brotherhood' about revenge being 'sweet but dangerous'......

And I may take you up on those plot bunnies - but pardon my ignorance, who's Little Danny?

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Re: Beta Matters
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Oh I've mentioned this Yahoo group before when we've been chatting. It's one of my writing groups that deals with Stargate SG-1 and one of the main characters Daniel Jackson. We downsize him to a child, baby, teen, etc. Usually happens by him touching an alien gizmo or as Jack O'Neill likes to call them - doohickeys. So this particular group is called Little Danny or LD for short. I'm on two other similar groups and about 3 for the adult version too.
I hope you do consider doing what with Johnny and Paul. However you decide to work it, SnowLeopard.

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
DebbieJ wrote on Mar 24th, 2017 at 12:45am:
Oh I've mentioned this Yahoo group before when we've been chatting. It's one of my writing groups that deals with Stargate SG-1 and one of the main characters Daniel Jackson. We downsize him to a child, baby, teen, etc. Usually happens by him touching an alien gizmo or as Jack O'Neill likes to call them - doohickeys. So this particular group is called Little Danny or LD for short.

ah, found it - you were talking about downsizing d'Artagnan  Shocked 

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2017 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Yeah, probably brought it up when you and I were discussing Ed being Athos and Paul being d'Art, and I mentioned I currently have a downsized d'Art story going. Even would like to downsize Paul and have Ed raise him. Ha! That would be funny.

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Go for it!!

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Yeah I know but I believe I mentioned this before. I read all the stuff you have to go through to post a story up here and the only time I've ever used a beta was when one of my Stargate stories went into a zine our groups did. I really don't like having to go through a beta, even if I don't have one here. Because it takes too long to go back and forth. Especially if the two of us aren't in the same time zone. Mine for Stargate was either in Austrailia or Germany. Took awhile to get it done. Then the corrections the one beta had made me want to pull my hair out. I almost had to re-write my story. If I do decide to do it I'll post it on Archive and put the link up here.

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Debbie, as this thread is drifting off topic a bit, shall I ask our friendly librarian to move the last few posts to the 'related' board?

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Sure. I'm still not used to how this site works yet. LOL!

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
It can be confusing when a thread branches off in lots of directions. I am on another board which offers tech support to a particular computer that we have hre, and its 'OT mafia' is pretty aggressive. I much prefer the more relaxed approach we have here!

Now, where was I, ah yes. Yes you need a beta who's both constructive and on your wavelength. The only UFO fan I knew personally I lost touch with years ago. So what I do is, when I've ot a story how I want it, I leave it for a couple of weeks and think about something quite different. When I get back to it, all sorts of things leap out at me!

And of course, this board is quite good with comments  Wink

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Yes, from what I've been reading there's lots of great, helpful comments bouncing around here. And great writers too, including yourself.  Smiley

IP Logged

SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
SnowLeopard wrote on Mar 27th, 2017 at 8:31pm:
I am on another board which offers tech support to a particular computer that we have hre, and its 'OT mafia' is pretty aggressive.

Well I'm an admin on a tech support site and yes, the OT mafia can be pretty aggressive, but then, people go to that site to find solutions for problems, not to discuss whatever else is going on.

Nobody comes to a fan site for solutions to a problem.  Smiley So here we can be a lot more relaxed about things going OT.

As for Beta readers - they're not a requirement for getting into the Archive. But if you can find someone who can proof-read your work and make sure MSWord didn't get creative with the punctuation and spelling, that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm on another fandom that has some very good Beta/proof readers and all work MUST go through them. That said, I have the title of 'Queen of the Split Infinitives' for refusing to change them. (In my book 'To Boldly Go' is perfectly correct English for the simple reason that there's only one other language on Planet Earth where you can even split an infinitive.)

The Administrator.
IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
### Spell Checker Warning ###

The Librarian is perfectly correct about MSWord and its siblings getting creative...

I recently submitted 'Brotherhood' to her (it will take her some time to deal with 145 pages) and she picked up a thoroughly embarrassing typo. Namely, 'astrology', when it should have been 'astrobiology'.

Now I checked DebbieJ's  beta corrections to the four chapters and it's not in there. I checked my own version incorporating those changes and it's not in there either. So I had a look at the final version - combining the four chapters, followed by 'final' spell checking - and there it was. Libre Office must have suggested it as a correction and I must have accepted it by mistake!!!

Moral - there's nothing to beat a human proofreader, even if it's yourself after doing a week or so of something entirely different, so that you come back to it with a fresh mind.

Sorry, everyone.

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 1:18am
Print Post  
I only have word pad on my new computer and it doesn't have spell check for which I'm grateful. LOL! I'm pretty good proof reader as one of my past jobs was doing just that for a small, family owned newspaper I worked for. I was the typesetter and did layout and design work for them. Also proofread the ads and stories I had to type. I trust my own eyes more than the computer at times. When I use the computer at work it has Microsoft word and an automatic spell check system that if you're not paying attention it changes words to what it thinks is correct. It can happen to anyone, SnowLeopard. I don't believe you need to apologize. Smiley

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo