SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Add Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Keep by SnowLeopard (Read 5145 times)
DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

The Keep by SnowLeopard
Dec 14th, 2016 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Hi, SnowLeopard!
I just wanted to say thank you for doing a story featuring Paul Foster. Straker and Foster's characters were the ones I liked the most in UFO. I am a writer myself but for Stargate SG-1 and the BBC production of The Musketeers and I just had to tell you I enjoyed this. Wished it were longer or perhaps you could do a longer Foster angsty story with Straker getting all big brother worried on him. Or not. LOL! Smiley

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Re: The Keep by SnowLeopard
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Another solid story. I especially enjoyed the discourse between Ed and Alec after Foster left his office. Like real, life-long buddies.

Isn't it interesting how Foster is viewed or presented by different writers? It is much the same deal with Virginia Lake. Writers either love expanding the character or vilifying them. We all have our own visions of each character and the ones we create as well. I suppose that's the beauty of writing fan fiction.

Also, thank you for not including a sauna scene with Paul belting out 'Beautiful Dreamer'... Whew!

We're looking forward to the stories you share with us next...
Moo

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Helo moo, and thanks! I don't think I could have stood a sauna scene.. I do indeed have a few more tales to tell.. One of them is sort of christmassy, and when I've tidied it up a bit I'll throw it over. Now let's see.. have you ever heard of the Rendlesham Forest Incident?  Wink

Hello DebbieJ, and nice to see you. I could indeed chase that particular plot bunny, unless yoou'd like to have a go yourself, in which case feel free. It will take me a while to put it together.. but it is already stewing in my subconscious!

IP Logged

SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Rendlesham Forest Incident?
  Smiley
Sorry, but that one had me rolling on the floor when I first heard about it. As I recall - American service people saw red and blue lights in a 'deep forest'. The reason I end up laughing has to do with the definition of 'deep forest'.

A North American tends to think of forests like the ones in StarGate - miles and miles and miles and miles of trees - BIG trees - with, maybe, forest service roads a horse would have trouble navigating.

Granted, I don't know exactly how thick the brush is in Rendlesham Forest, but if it was named Rendlesham Woods, the guys would probably have come to the comclusion that those lights belonged to emergency vehicles somewhere on a road on the other side.

For that matter, a Mobile is NOT getting through a true BC/Washington state forest and a UFO coming down in one - it probably landed on somebody's pot farm of avoid getting impaled on a spruce.  :Smiley

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Oh yes. I'm familiar with the Rendlesham Forest/RAF Bentwaters event. The guy supposedly touched the object and it gave him some kind of binary type coded message about planetary exploration. Nothing particularly useful, but certainly stuff to fuel the UFO community (the other one...).

The popular events and stories can be a real source for us UFO fan-fic writers. I dropped a reference to the Kecksburg, PA event in my last one. Same with all the ancient alien visitation stuff that's been playing for several years now.

The UFO landing on a pot farm brought back flashes from the film 'Iron Sky' which is just hilarious. Gotta look for that one again...

Take care folks,
Moo

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 2:35am
Print Post  
I have hard enough time keeping up with The Musketeer genre and the now occasional Stargate story, now that the Musky world has taken over my life. LOL! I doubt I'd even have time to try those rocky waters with a UFO story. I'd rather wait for you to tackle my suggestion, SnowLeopard. Many thanks!
Debbie Wink

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 3:59am
Print Post  
I like killing Foster, but that's just me.
poison knife falling piano bubonic plague vocal chords removed for Moo's sake

I need to come up with an excuse for Straker to sing again in a story. Goes undercover on American Idol because Simon Cowell is secretly an alien? Nah...

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 4:18am
Print Post  
"Lose the Chairman Mao jacket, take out those coloured contacts, they aren't natural looking, and get the hair dyed. Oh and lose faking the announcer's voice. Someone get some makeup on him,he looks like he spends half his life in a lead vault and never goes out in the sun. Nice plastic job on the cheekbones. Now the question is, can he sing? What are you going to do for us tonight,Straker?"
Ah, Mr. Cowell, have I introduced you to my agent? Meet Alec Freeman. Meet Alec Freeman's lackof appreciation for people who insult me. Hmm, that looked like it hurt."
"Have you paid me my 15 per cent lately, Ed?"
"You're taking your cover role too seriously, Alec. Cowell doesn't seem to be moving. I think you killed him."
"I certainly hope so."
  Cheesy

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 11:31am
Print Post  
DebbieJ wrote on Dec 15th, 2016 at 2:35am:
I have hard enough time keeping up with The Musketeer genre and the now occasional Stargate story, now that the Musky world has taken over my life. LOL! I doubt I'd even have time to try those rocky waters with a UFO story. I'd rather wait for you to tackle my suggestion, SnowLeopard. Many thanks!
Debbie Wink

I'll certainly give it a go.. I was brewing last night; and it involves SHADO taking over the defunct Dalotek base (minus its geoscanner) which SHADO has persuaded the funding committee to acquire by compulsory purchase (amid screams from Henderson). Since Foster knows the base well, he and Straker go up there to look it over, with a view to converting it into another of the Moonbases that Ed wants. It will involve Chrys, and another woman called Marion Knight, who is currently divorcing her second husband. Once again Ed has to disentangle Paul's chaotic love life - and in the process confronts a few ghosts of his own, so that Paul has to help him out.

But don't hold your breath, it will take me a few weeks to put together. You're welcome to 'beta-read' it when the time comes if you like!

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 11:42am
Print Post  
SHADO Librarian wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 10:30pm:
Quote:
Rendlesham Forest Incident?
  Smiley
Sorry, but that one had me rolling on the floor when I first heard about it. As I recall - American service people saw red and blue lights in a 'deep forest'. The reason I end up laughing has to do with the definition of 'deep forest'.

A North American tends to think of forests like the ones in StarGate - miles and miles and miles and miles of trees - BIG trees - with, maybe, forest service roads a horse would have trouble navigating.

Granted, I don't know exactly how thick the brush is in Rendlesham Forest, but if it was named Rendlesham Woods, the guys would probably have come to the comclusion that those lights belonged to emergency vehicles somewhere on a road on the other side.

For that matter, a Mobile is NOT getting through a true BC/Washington state forest and a UFO coming down in one - it probably landed on somebody's pot farm of avoid getting impaled on a spruce.  :Smiley

I'd certainly have to agree that our UK forests are  more than a trifle anaemic by comparison. Our excuse for calling them that is that they are regions under a type  of conservation arrangement called 'forest law' and they don't even have to have any trees... largish areas of the New Forest (on the south coast, near Southampton) are like that!

I was on holiday in Suffolk recently and made sure I visited RF - or at least drove past it. It's fairly dense as our forests go, and (disappointingly) includes Corsican pines. I didn't venture in, as the tourist industry has cast its influence over the area, alas.

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Write Rat wrote on Dec 15th, 2016 at 4:18am:
"Lose the Chairman Mao jacket, take out those coloured contacts, they aren't natural looking, and get the hair dyed. Oh and lose faking the announcer's voice. Someone get some makeup on him,he looks like he spends half his life in a lead vault and never goes out in the sun. Nice plastic job on the cheekbones. Now the question is, can he sing? What are you going to do for us tonight,Straker?"
Ah, Mr. Cowell, have I introduced you to my agent? Meet Alec Freeman. Meet Alec Freeman's lackof appreciation for people who insult me. Hmm, that looked like it hurt."
"Have you paid me my 15 per cent lately, Ed?"
"You're taking your cover role too seriously, Alec. Cowell doesn't seem to be moving. I think you killed him."
"I certainly hope so."
  Cheesy

So do I...

Smiley    Smiley    Smiley   

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Your story idea sounds very interesting, SnowLeopard. I'm certainly not in any hurry and I know how RL can be so whenever you get to it I'll be a happy camper. I always wanted more of a bond to have been formed between Paul and Ed. If not so much father/son then brotherly. But Ed being Ed, on the show, you only saw the occasional glimmer of that whenever Paul got into trouble. It was like Ed was afraid to show his true feelings. But I'm so surprised you even came up with something that fast. You're good! LOL!

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #12 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Ah, the quiet thunder of stampeding plot bunnies... This process is just so addictive. Looking forward to what you come up with. I'm not so much of a Foster fan (his singing mostly) but he is convenient as a straight man or foil (and occasional hero) in my stories. Perhaps you can fix his skirt chasing tendencies...  Perhaps that's what draws some to his character. Living the bachelor life vicariously through Foster. Okay,... living the well funded, uber-cool version while tall, dark and rugged looking - surrounded by women who swoon at your voice. Somehow not my bachelor experience... Envy? As we upper mid-westerners say, 'oh ya, gosh-darn don'cha know'...

Moo

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #13 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 8:14am
Print Post  
For me, liking Foster over Straker is going out for burgers and you have steak at home. (Paul Newman originally said that)
Snow, Alec hits like an oncoming train. Make that Japan's bullet train.
  the alien Simon would be dead.
The talk about the sauna makes me want to do a Straker gym scene. Commander, turkish towel.
(drops the mic)

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #14 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Moo wrote on Dec 15th, 2016 at 4:33pm:
Ah, the quiet thunder of stampeding plot bunnies... This process is just so addictive. Looking forward to what you come up with. I'm not so much of a Foster fan (his singing mostly) but he is convenient as a straight man or foil (and occasional hero) in my stories. Perhaps you can fix his skirt chasing tendencies... 
Moo

Oh, I'll have Ed fix Paul's skirt-chasing tendencies, all right. That man is in for a shock.... Lips Sealed

Agree about the bunnies, the d*mn things are breeding like rabbits!   Wink 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo