SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Add Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New author jumping in at the deep end.. (Read 6876 times)
SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

New author jumping in at the deep end..
Dec 1st, 2016 at 11:31am
Print Post  
I'm back from a prolonged absence from UFO. I found my DVDs that I'd bought some years ago, and decided to start watching them again.. only to kick myself for having left things that long. I can only plead 'real life' getting in the way..

I looked around the web, and found Denise Felt's piece 'Who's the mole'. I also read some of the archived threads on Marc M's SHADO forum about the alien's origin. I agreed that as well as their home planet, perhaps they have a colony somewhere within the solar system, and I thought of a place where this might be - on one of Jupiter's moons, Europa. It's covered with ice, and there may be liquid water underneath. A good place to conceal water-loving humanoids. I wondered what the journey times would be from there - and it turns out that at 4 SOL, they could do the trip in 11 minutes!!

Oho, I thought. And aha. So I court-martialled Ed, and had him explain what was going on.. for details, see 'The Collaborator'. Just been submitted..   Shocked   Shocked 

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Re: New author jumping in at the deep end..
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 5:55am
Print Post  
You may be thrown in the deep end with weights tied to your body compliments of Colonel Freeman if you court martialed Straker. (and welcome)
🐭

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 7:07am
Print Post  
The good Colonel was cheering me on.. Wink   for a while, anyway!

And hi there!

IP Logged

SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
New author found at SnowLeopard

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:54am
Print Post  
A perfectly executed dive into the deep end... Great story. I look forward to seeing more.

Moo

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 5:53am
Print Post  
Glad you enjoyed it, Moo! And thanks to the Librarian for looking it over, and adding it to the shelf.

Oddly enough, I do have a couple more tales   Wink  .. I may put one or two of them in after Christmas.

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 8:37am
Print Post  
My God. That's about as perfect a story as I have ever read. The characters, the pacing, sheesh. I loved it. Did you choose George because Ed's real name is George? The way you see Ed and Alec is just perfect considering how I see them. Moo told me your story was good, so I skimmed it. And wow.
Deep end my ass.You've been in that pool before  Smiley

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 9:35am
Print Post  
just one thing. Straker has no drawer in his shado office and although I know he has that video screen attached to his studio desk (which I always thought wasn't very secure) I don't believe his studio desk has a drawer.  He probably has a cabinet concealed behind a cabinet in his shado office with a fingerprint lock, or a retina scan, he's sneaky as hell. (I've seen too many Bond movies) The error doesn't stand out, my husband only caught it on the second reading. I really loved Straker being in sky one, of course he's a damn fine pilot. And as you depict, a damn fine shot.
ah, unforgettable Straker. Lovely man. (grin)

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 2:12am
Print Post  
I always loved Straker's downstairs office desk. Those alternating horizontal clear bands with the dark ones between is just one sexy bit of office furniture... In his studio office, my eyeballs always get stuck on the giant lips on the wall...

I see more watching as an (gulp) adult. When I watched as a kid it was on a grainy b&w tv in the basement. I had no idea the Moon Base monitors had purple wigs. I thought they were just Beetle wigs with a widow's peak. Rediscovery was fun...

Moo

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 5:33am
Print Post  
Hi all! Thanks for the friendly words - my husband is wondering why I'm drifting round the house with a silly grin plastered across my face..

I have ventured into fanfic a few times before (Star Trek), though they were short excursions, nothing as detailed as this one. (Hooray for word processors..) I was active on the Wheel of Time board for a while - but they didn't do fanfic, so I had to limit myself to speculations on how that 14-book saga was going to pan out. And I've written a piece in an area related to a computer text adventure, though I will have to find out what their attitude is to such things (and finish it!!) before it can be let out of the changing rooms..

Re Ed's name - I've read a few of the stories in this Library and elsewhere, and I noted that (a) his birth name is George Victor and that (b) 'George' was occasionally used by authors as his second name. So I went with it.

About that desk.. well, whaddya know. Somehow when you see a desk you sort of expect it to have drawers - certainly all the ones I've sat behind did - but hey, this is that sly old fox Straker we're talking about. I did write a short humorous piece about that downstairs office - it may be short enough to go here, I'll have to check. In it I wondered about his mini-bar, the conference table or rather what's behind it, that desk, and so on.

Yes, he wouldn't keep secure stuff in his studio office, and I've no doubt there are hideyholes in his SHADO office. (I wonder. Does that vaporiser always vaporise..)  Wink

Like Moo, I see and understand different things as an adult. I first saw UFO when I was at university. Coming back to it (ahem!) years later, being able to watch it as a 'boxed set', helps put it all together.

BTW, after I'd submitted it I realised there were a couple of holes I hadn't filled properly. Isn't it always the way..  One of them was fairly minor and involved a table. The other is rather more complex, and is concerned with Straker's exact official status - but as Henderson hadn't yet told the UN about the situation, I think I can get away with it. As, indeed, did The Man himself..

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
That silly grin is a sign of a story worked syndrome. It can be habit forming. What's worse is the OMG yessssss syndrome. It happens when you get a really promising story idea. (then Moo comes along and I spend time watching vids on you tube to get an idea of Straker's transportation mode. Wait guys, I left my stomach on the plane.
About Straker's shado desk, yep. That thing is drool city. Although my practical minded husband says it must be murder to keep clean. His studio office is whatthehellisthat? city. So is his house. (which I blew up in one story, weird inca looking breasted thing, milk cans, alladin statues and all.) I'm convinced Straker bought the first flat he found after the divorce, put in the cow chairs (moo should appreciate those) and the Greek bust, then had set decoration guys and gals put in anything not currently in use. 
Ask yourself where is Straker's clothes closet and where is his kitchen and loo. Is that the only record he has on the turntable? Did Mary take his entire lp collection in the divorce settlement? Bitch. Grin.
At least he wasn't stuck with the turquoisey blue curtains. No he has ugly dark ones.
My husband says he  probably has one golf outfit, one tux, reg and formal blues and  spectrum (hee hee) of Nehru jackets with matching jumpsuits. Shops once a year. lol. Shado operatives get discounts.

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 3:43am
Print Post  
Spectrum ideed! Straker's interior decorator for the office must been a Worhol fan. Gratefully, no soup cans on the wall...

His home is just bizarre. Sort of the standard first bachelor pad after college but with a much bigger budget. No milk crates and knick-knacks from garage sales. It's almost like they browsed the prop department at the studio and off-loaded the mismatched stuff they had no use for. And yeah, I dig the cow chairs... I never realized we saw so little of the interior except for the living room and bedroom. I suppose that in '69 and '70 it was considered bad taste to show his crapper. We never saw the loo in the Tardis on Dr. Who either but we know it must have had one...
Either way it's still better than that flat that Foster had pre-SHADO. That rotating bookshelf with the projector reminds me of something I've seen in a daycare. Used the same way even, just no thugs ransacking the place (toddlers did a similar job of it though).

Take care folks...
Moo

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Ah yes, ASW syndrome. I could get hooked on that. What am I saying, I AM hooked!!

Straker's place, yeah. Of course he has to look like he's a movie producer... I think it must be a bungalow, not an apartment like the one I've given Alec. And I think he must have a housekeeper - who I see as a widow in her early sixties, security-vetted, and a martial-arts expert, who keeps the place tidy and well-turned out, probably with Ed at rolling-pin point ( Wink ) (do they have points?)

Re loos - no, they didn't really exist in the 70s, did they? Not even on the USS Enterprise. Just as well there was an en-suite in that bedroom of J's.

Right. Am off to give 'The Keep' its final lookover before squirting it in the Librarian's direction. Cool

IP Logged

SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
The item in question arrived in my email but I won't have a chance to do anything until Monday or so.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Thanks, I see it's now on the shelf!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo