SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Original Characters (Read 3377 times)
Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Original Characters
Jan 26th, 2013 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
So, it's been a bit quiet around here so I thought I might spur some conversation with this subject.

Many of us have added original characters to the UFO mythos, some more than others. *grin* Do we have any favorites among our own, among others?

I've written quite a few myself and it was hard to pick a favorite. So here are the ones who made the short list.

Professor Manfred Reinhardt, Ginny's mentor and close friend.

Sir Byron Sinclair, lifelong friend of Alec Freeman. This one surprised me, because he is only in one of my stories, but I had a lot of fun writing him.

Lynn Lake, Virginia's mother, need I say more. She's not afraid of anything, or anyone, including the Commander!

Jennifer Erin Wallace, another close friend of Ginny and her protege. A redhead with green eyes, picture a young Ann Margret.

This list is from my own original characters, as to others, I liked Deb's Major Vladimir Natiroff so much, I borrowed him (with Deb's blessing) for a few of my stories. I also really like Kathryn Komack Straker. She's just so sensible and level headed. I've always pictured her as distant relative of a certain Starfleet Admiral. *grin*

Denise has written two characters that stood out for me as well, Commander Jake Davenport, from her Devilsgate Saga. Writing someone to fill Straker's shoes was a tall order and Denise hit a home run with Jake.

Cait Kerr, from her Artist Series. Of all the match-ups Denise has made with Straker, I think Cait was my favorite. (Besides Ginny, of course) They seemed to compliment each other so well.

Peter Iatros, from Ed and Amelia's The Rabbit's Paw. One of the most believable OC's I've read. You couldn't help but like him.

They are others I'm sure, but these come to mind right now.

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Re: Original Characters
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Oh, man!  You're going to make me think????  Shocked

Hmmm . . . okay.  Jake Davenport, hands down.  Getting to have Johnny Depp in my stories is just so much whipped cream on my hot fudge sundae (if you get my drift.)

William Shakespeare -- just because I love him and consider it an honor to get the chance to portray him in a story.

Good ole Vlad the Impaler.  He's probably too tame the way I write him for some of you guys, but for me he's just right.

As for incidental characters, it would have to be Antoine (from the Artist Series), Xanos (from the Shakespeare Saga), and Leona (from the Writers Series.)  They came in and made their mark -- and almost stole the show!  Wink

OCs from other writers?  I like Matt's Lynn and Deb's Major and Yuchy's Gina and Amelia's Reverend.  Great peeps, all of them!  Smiley

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Oh my God! I forgot about Gina! Sorry Yuchy. She rocks! Smiley

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Gina's cool, also Ed and Amelia's Reverend. Ed and Amelia's Lily 'daughter of the Goddess' is a hoot.

And Kathryn Komack Straker really is related to Admiral Komack - way back when I writing 'now long gone never to be seen in public' Star Trek, poor Admiral Komack ended up with a sister named Elizabeth Kathryn who was head of security of the planet Danae (It was a family with a long history of public service.) So I figure Kathryn is the current incarnation of Elizabeth.  Wink

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
I had a feeling that was the case. One of these days, I'm going to follow through and write something for Trek. I had one really good idea, but Peter David stole it from me. Grin It had to do with Janice Rand and James T. Kirk. Kiss Kirk always did have a thing for blondes. :Smiley

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Jan 29th, 2013 at 10:40pm:
Kirk always did have a thing for blondes. :Smiley

Are you sure?  I was never aware that he was that particular in his tastes.  It always seemed to me he'd take anything as long as she was remotely female.  Wink

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Not so much for the random encounters, but most of the women he had a serious relationship with, were blondes.

Dr. Carol Marcus- Pre TOS later pictured in Star Trek TWOK
Ruth- A former lover from his academy years pictured in the episode Shore Leave
Areel Shaw- A former lover who prosecuted Kirk in Court Martial
Dr. Janet Wallace- A former lover, seen in The Deadly Years

The only other serious relationship in Kirk's past (that we know of) was Dr. Janice Lester who appeared in the episode Turnabout Intruder. As I recall, she had dirty blonde or brown hair.

While Kirk had a notorious reputation as a ladies man, it is worth mentioning that he was still on good terms with Janet Wallace and Areel Shaw.

And while things didn't work out for Kirk and Carol Marcus, it looked to me as if they still cared deeply for each other.

To me, it seems like Kirk's career choice was a complicating factor in his personal relationships. At that time in federation "history" starship captains could not take their wives aboard ship.

I have to wonder how things would have worked out for Jim Kirk had he lived in a time when he could have married Carol and taken her with him. (Most of her Genesis research could have been done aboard ship.) Plot bunny!

Sorry for the OT drabble. Grin

IP Logged

SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
There was the Brunette in Dagger of the Mind - but that was a one-night-stand that they both remembered fondly.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Ah yes, Dr. Helen Noel. That was the impression that I got, they didn't really get too involved. There was another incident during The Menagerie where Commodore Mendez introduced a Miss Piper who was a friend of one of Kirk's past encounters.

James T. Kirk was a busy boy. :Smiley At least he seemed to go for the smart ones.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Well, there was the occasional green girl!   Cheesy

Come to think of it, I gave Straker a green girl once [Zugzwang].  But that wasn't her normal color.  Wink

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
I only remember Kirk with one green girl. It was in the episode For Whom Gods Destroy. The Orion Slave girl was named Marta and played by Yvonne Craig if memory serves me correctly.

"Queen to queen's level three."

The only other green girl I remember is an incarnation of Vina during Captain Pike's imprisonment in The Menagerie. She was played by Susan Oliver.

I wonder how Straker would handle an Orion Slave girl? :Smiley \

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
He wouldn't, silly.  He's no Kirk!  Tongue

[BTW, you forgot the green girl the new Kirk was making out with in the new movie.]

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 2:05am
Print Post  
Neesierie wrote on Feb 7th, 2013 at 5:06pm:
He wouldn't, silly.  He's no Kirk!  Tongue

Oh, yeah he would, "Alec, handle this." Smiley

I did forget about the one in the movie, but that takes place in an alternate reality. Grin

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 3:21am
Print Post  
It may be an alternate reality, but it's the same ole Kirk!  Grin

And you're right.  Straker would let Alec have the green girl.  He'd have better things to do. *snicker*

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo