SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Squick Factor (Read 1607 times)
Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Squick Factor
Nov 23rd, 2011 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
As you all know, some people have low tolerances for mayhem, violence, death and whatever in fiction. Some people like (demand) to be warned that there are 'squick factors' in a particular piece of 'amateur' fiction. (And it appears the list of possible squicks  is endless.)

As writers, how do you choose to handle this? Or is this even a consideration in your writing? Would you ever avoid a plot line simply because it requires that something happen that somebody else might object to? Smiley

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Yuchtar
Lieutenant

Where are my glasses?

Re: Squick Factor
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 3:12am
Print Post  
Quote:
Would you ever avoid a plot line simply because it requires that something happen that somebody else might object to?

Heh heh heheheheheh (snort) Funny. No, I would absolutely not avoid something that someone else might object to - unless I was writing for a particular forum that had particular rules. (And unless they're paying, I probably wouldn't bother except as a challenge) But I generally write for myself, so - Tthhhsssspppp!

Hmm, we don't seem to have a smiley that's blowing a raspberry ...

Smiley

Yeah, I'm a smutty-minded perv - what of it?
IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 3:31am
Print Post  
After the holidays I'll be looking for more smilies - and arranging the one's we have a little better. I'll definitely be looking for a raspberry for you.  Wink

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Yuchtar
Lieutenant

Where are my glasses?

Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 4:48am
Print Post  
Quote:
I'll definitely be looking for a raspberry for you.

Here's one:

Buahahahahahaha!

Smiley

Yeah, I'm a smutty-minded perv - what of it?
IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2011 at 4:43am
Print Post  
I didn't know there was such a thing as a squick factor!  (So I guess that tells you how much thought I've given it, doesn't it?)  Wink 

No, I don't worry if anyone will object to anything questionable I write, but since I'm squeamish, I don't write gore anyway.  So it's a non-issue.  [You're right, Yuchy.  We need a raspberry smilie.]

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2011 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 1:58pm:
My stories, that deal with history, all point to a faction of the Nazi's, colaborating with the aliens. Most of the stuff I focus on is the alien tech, and how some of it may have been used to get SHADO up and running so quickly.

The Nazi/Alien alliance opens other possibilities, some of which I vaguely allude to, but I am somewhat reluctant to go down that path, for fear of how it might affect those who still remember those times. It's like incorporating the events of 9-11 into a story. A few writers have done it tastefully and found a balance that works, but I'm not sure of my ability to strike that balance, especially with an event as frightening and painful as the Holocaust. Cry

My initial reaction was to say no, but as you can see, I do have reservations about certain real historical events. I wouldn't worry about members of the guild, you guys all know my heart, but someone that doesn't know me could be offended.

I love intertwining history with fiction, but, it can be a slippery slope with some people. Undecided

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo