SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Cultural Evolution and the new movie. (Read 2558 times)
Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Cultural Evolution and the new movie.
Oct 15th, 2011 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
I posed a similar question on Marc's board and thought I'd put it out here as well.

It has been 40 some years since UFO first aired. I have to wonder what a modern Straker will be like, or a modern Lake, or Freeman, or Foster. Are the characters products of their generations, or are they truly timeless? Will we recognize them and how close can they be to their original counterparts and still be believable in a modern setting?

Thoughts anyone? :Smiley

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Re: Cultural Evolution and the new movie.
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
I think, for the main characters there is a timelessness - Straker, Freeman, Foster, Jackson, Lake all have roots in basic archetypes. That's why you can place them in different times and places have them still work.

For things like Moonbase girls - I can't see a modern version of Gay Ellis being featured in the strip-tease to show off the versatility of her uniform.

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Librarian wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 at 8:01pm:
For things like Moonbase girls - I can't see a modern version of Gay Ellis being featured in the strip-tease to show off the versatility of her uniform.

I was very surprised that Anderson got away with that. It certainly added nothing to the plot. Shocked Grin

I'm still of the opinion that 75% of the mix is going to be writing and direction. To me that would be true even if the original actors were still young enough (assuming they were still alive) to play the roles.

I think I may have metioned this elsewhere, but the best example I can think of is the first two Star Trek movies. Robert Wise directed TMP like an epic, where Nicholas Meyer directed TWOK like an episode. TWOK was done so well that it is considered by most ST fans to be the 80th episode.

I think you are correct Deb, about the timelessness of the archetypes. Jim's new story, Any Time, Any Place proved that quite well. He must have a great mentor. Wink (Matt winks at Denise.)

One of the reasons that I didn't try to bring UFO into the present is I would have to modify the characters to include more modern ways of thinking. Although I intend to do just that when I start my 2012 series. That is going to be a rewrite of the original premese, including some of the backstories.

Straker, as he is shown on the series, actually feels more like a Korea vet than than Vietnam, although I still use the Vietnam history in my stories, including, keeping him a full bird at 32. Yes, it puts him a couple of years short of minimum time and grade, but I'm admitting poetic license here. Grin

It's too bad they won't come to us for the story, I'd put the guild right on top when it comes to good plot ideas. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2011 at 1:47am by Matt »  

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Thirty-two is a squeeker. Thirty-three actually makes it by the rules of 1970-80. It's tight, but it does work. Plus, if you accept the concept of 'rabbi' (in the NYPD sense of mentor with clout), then it's definitely doable. Of course, someone that exceptional would be hard to hide. Grin

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Face it.  Straker -- the way he was portrayed in the series as brilliant and dedicated -- would always stand out in a crowd.  It was the one thing that always confused me watching the episodes; that they never showed how he appeared to the outside world.  He would have stood out.  He couldn't help but do so with the characteristics they gave him and the way Bishop played him. 

In my stories, I give him opportunities to be observed by outsiders, something that my daughter never quite understands.  She thinks I'm just taking the opportunity to drool when I do that, but she doesn't know what I see.  I've known many powerful men over the years, and they have that something extra that is visible to everyone around them.  No one needs to say a word; they all just know that this person is special. 

As for retconning the UFO we know for a contemporary movie, are we sure that's what they're doing?  Do we know the time frame they're using?  And if they intend to make it a contemporary movie, then that will definitely have an impact on the characters and their personalities and mannerisms.  You can't get around it.  Current society is affected by so many different pressures and needs than what affected those in the '80's.  Hell, even Gerry didn't get it right when he envisioned 10 years in the future!  Many other aspects of society were more important in that decade than UFO was able to predict.  I think the basic personalities will still be there, but to say that any of them would be the same is questionable.

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Gerry made some necessary assumptions about how the world would evolve so he could make UFO work. He needed the Moon to be occupied and aerospace science to be far beyond what was possible in 1970.

The new movie is going to have to make many of the same assumptions.

But the characters themselves? Writers' attitudes can't help but be reflected in what they're writing. So the characters will come off differently simply because of the recasting, different generation of writers and different generation of director. (Like the reboot of James Bond or Star Trek)

So the new version of the characters... we'll just have to wait and see.  :Smiley

IP Logged

Yuchtar
Lieutenant

Where are my glasses?

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Quote:
I think I may have metioned this elsewhere, but the best example I can think of is the first two Star Trek movies. Robert Wise directed TMP like an epic, where Nicholas Meyer directed TWOK like an episode. TWOK was done so well that it is considered by most ST fans to be the 80th episode.

Okay, this bit is off topic, BUT - TMP was made from an hour series script, stretched to make it film length. Stretched badly and boringly.

Re Straker:
Quote:
Of course, someone that exceptional would be hard to hide.

Does he need to be hidden? I don't understand why everyone thinks he should be hidden. Most of the 'general public' is oblivious to the military anyway and unless one was serving with him, why would other  military personnel even think about a particular officer?

I want Gerard Butler as Foster. I'd watch that ...

Smiley

Yeah, I'm a smutty-minded perv - what of it?
IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Does he need to be hidden? I don't understand why everyone thinks he should be hidden. Most of the 'general public' is oblivious to the military anyway and unless one was serving with him, why would other  military personnel even think about a particular officer?

There are those who insist since no one besides Foster ever mentioned a military career, and they and others note that it was a little odd the Foster didn't find more on Straker when he was looking (of course, Foster was helped in not finding out more) that Straker's military career was a closely held secret, possibly even during his stint with the USAF. Others of us say that's bunk.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic