SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What We're Reading (Read 9131 times)
Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Re: What We're Reading
Reply #30 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Deb, it's funny that you metioned non-fiction, I just downloaded three naval non-fiction novels. All Hands Down and Red Star Rogue, both by Kenneth Sewell and Stalking the Red Bear, by Peter Sasgen.

I just started All Hands Down, it's about the events leading up to the loss of the USS Scorpion. A real page turner!

If you like naval history, I would highly recommend Blind Man's Bluff, the story about underwater espionage during the cold war.

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #31 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Those sound fun  Grin

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #32 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Matt,
I just read "Ishmael."  Loved it!  Great Spock story, and you know how much I enjoy fish-out-of-water stories!  And of course time travel!!!  Smiley

Anyway, thanks for egging me on to get the book.  Even loving her work, I kept putting it off.  Now I'm off to read "Crossroad."  Her 3rd ST book is called "Ghost Walker."  I'll let you know what I think of them when I finish them.

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #33 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 12:15am
Print Post  
I really didn't like "Crossroad"!   Smiley

Loved a lot of the new characters for the story, but the outlook was just too dark and depressing for me (and I think GR would agree.)  And at the end, the whole let's-give-them-all-amnesia-so-they-don't-destroy-the-timeline idea stunk!  What a cop-out!  Tongue

Barbara rarely misses with her stories.  That said, there are one or two of her books I simply won't read.  The rest are phenomenal!  So I guess I have to say that this is one of her misses.  Intriguing premise -- but a bummer story, all in all.  Undecided

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #34 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 12:19am
Print Post  
I liked "Ghost Walker," just not as much as "Ismael."  But it was a great story that took place mainly on the ship and mainly with our intrepid crew.  The romance element of the tale was a washout, but when you're dealing with Kirk, what can you expect?  Except that at the end of the day, I didn't think it was fair to him at all.  But a gripping read and a thrilling tale.  Smiley

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #35 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
I found Crossroads to be somewhat slow, so slow that I put it aside. And that is something I seldom do with a book.

I knew you would enjoy Ishmael, time travel, amnesia, Spock, what's not to like! Grin It's still one of my favorite ST novels. It must of made an impression, as Distant Memories has a similar theme. Wink

I finished All Hands Down and I'm in the middle of Red Star Rogue. Both of them are page turners, if you like untold history. Smiley

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #36 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Whose untold history?  Huh

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #37 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Ed and Amelia,
Just wanted to say thanks for telling us about the Inspector Barnaby mystery novels!  I just finished the first one: "The Killings at Badger's Drift."  Absolutely wonderful!  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you for putting me on to a new mystery writer!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #38 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Neesierie wrote on Sep 1st, 2011 at 9:58pm:
Whose untold history?  Huh

I just realized I missed your question, sorry. Embarrassed

These books were written as historical conjecture by a naval history researcher. His conclutions, based on the data were significanlty different than the "offical" Navy story. I, for one, never bought the idea of a hot run in the torpedo tube, sinking the USS Scorpion. At least three people I know, who were Navy torpedomen, said "No way in hell!" I can understand why, both the US and the former Soviet Union would conspire to keep this out of the public eye. I suspect that one day, the real truth will come out, after everyone involved has passed on.

Red Star Rogue, also made a very convincing argument that the loss of the Soviet Sub K-19 was due to a failed nuclear launch attempt. Shocked Scary stuff! Again, I would not expect either government to come clean. There would be too much embarressment on both sides. Embarrassed

I do hope that the true stories do, one day, surface as we all have an obligation to answer to history. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Add Poll Send Topic