SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Add Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) FDK Repercussions (Read 5262 times)
Claire
Captain

UFO the original and best!

FDK Repercussions
Apr 23rd, 2011 at 11:50am
Print Post  
People are pestering asking  Wink for this to be here so chapter one is up.  It may take a while to get more up because chapters further on need serious rewrites and that's what i'm doing in the middle of this mini heatwave.  I'm not out enjoying the sun, I'm in my little garret writing.  What is it with hot weather and where I live?  Seriously, you would not believe the sights you see here  Shocked

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Re: FDK Repercussions
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
That's the problem when you are a good writer, your fans want more! :Smiley I still have to fininsh Error in Judgement so I'm not going to look at this yet. I pulled it into my Nook so I can finish it this weekend. (I like to read a long story in my easy chair with my feet up. *grin*) Once I get going with it I'll have feedback for both. Smiley

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Claire
Captain

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 23rd, 2011 at 1:59pm:
That's the problem when you are a good writer, your fans want more! :Smiley I still have to fininsh Error in Judgement so I'm not going to look at this yet. I pulled it into my Nook so I can finish it this weekend. (I like to read a long story in my easy chair with my feet up. *grin*) Once I get going with it I'll have feedback for both. Smiley

Your nook sounds really comfy, hope you don't go to sleep there - heh, I would  :Smiley  Thanks for your comments Matt, I really appreciate them and I look forward to hearing your thoughts as this is my first (and second) foray into UFO fandom.  Have a nice Easter.

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I'll put this here so other people see it too - it's hard to read single spaced paragraphs on a computer:

like: Quote:
“I don’t get it,” Commander Ed Straker of SHADO complained to Virginia Lake.
She didn’t comment, simply raising one well manicured eyebrow at him.
“This is the third time in as many weeks the Ufos bugged out at the first sight of the interceptors,” Straker went on. “And this last one makes no sense at all. That one flew right into the Moon’s surface, a hundred miles from anything.”
“Well, trajectory analysis doesn’t give us any clues,” Lake said, handing him the reports. “And we certainly aren’t doing anything out of the normal. No new equipment. Even the last personnel change was over four weeks ago.”
“Well, something’s changed. What they’re doing makes absolutely no sense.”
“Maybe an analysis of the wreckage will tell us something,” Lake suggested. “The recovery team should be there in about an hour. Maybe we’ve gotten lucky and they’re having equipment problems.”
Straker glared at her. “We should be so lucky. No, there’s something else going on. They’re lulling us into a trap, or…”
“Or what?”

An easy (sort of) way around it is to take your text (what you've put in reply window) and put it into a text editor like WordPad or something similar.

Find your section breaks and bark them with something like '* * *' or '& & &'. Then do a search and replace for whatever your program uses to mark paragraphs and replace it with TWO of them. The program I use uses
Code
Select All
\n 

as the line or paragraph end mark.

Then paste the adjusted code back in the reply window. so it looks like Quote:
“I don’t get it,” Commander Ed Straker of SHADO complained to Virginia Lake.

She didn’t comment, simply raising one well manicured eyebrow at him.

“This is the third time in as many weeks the Ufos bugged out at the first sight of the interceptors,” Straker went on. “And this last one makes no sense at all. That one flew right into the Moon’s surface, a hundred miles from anything.”

“Well, trajectory analysis doesn’t give us any clues,” Lake said, handing him the reports. “And we certainly aren’t doing anything out of the normal. No new equipment. Even the last personnel change was over four weeks ago.”

“Well, something’s changed. What they’re doing makes absolutely no sense.”

“Maybe an analysis of the wreckage will tell us something,” Lake suggested. “The recovery team should be there in about an hour. Maybe we’ve gotten lucky and they’re having equipment problems.”

Straker glared at her. “We should be so lucky. No, there’s something else going on. They’re lulling us into a trap, or…”

“Or what?”

It's a minor thing. But it makes it easier to read on the screen

From what I've read so far, this is promising to be a VERY good sequel.  Smiley

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Claire
Captain

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Thanks for the guidance Deb, it's always helpful to have things like this pointed out.  When I posted it it took ages to get it looking like it did would you believe? So now I need to go and get it looking a bit more readable  Smiley

Thanks for the encouraging words too, now if I can get the rest of it to not wander off somewhere ...  Undecided

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Great start to the sequel Claire, it looks to be just as intriguing as the first story. Smiley

IP Logged

Claire
Captain

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 24th, 2011 at 6:47pm:
Great start to the sequel Claire, it looks to be just as intriguing as the first story. Smiley

It's a long way from being finished sadly but I'm working on it.  Glad you like it, now back to the grindstone  Wink

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
I really enjoy stories where everyone has an agenda.  I don't usually write that kind myself, since my mind tends to be very direct and refuses to take lots of detours, so maybe that's why I like reading those written by others.  I still remember the first time I read Dune.  I was astonished at all the intrigue going on!  How does a writer keep up? 

The sequel's looking good, Claire.  Sorry it took me a bit to get to it when I was the one begging for it.  Wink  But Easter when grandkids are around trumps SHADO every time.  Grin  They found eggs full of candy in the backyard and picked lots of violets for mommy and nana.  It was a lovely weekend!

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Claire
Captain

Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Neesierie wrote on Apr 25th, 2011 at 12:07pm:
I really enjoy stories where everyone has an agenda.  I don't usually write that kind myself, since my mind tends to be very direct and refuses to take lots of detours, so maybe that's why I like reading those written by others.  I still remember the first time I read Dune.  I was astonished at all the intrigue going on!  How does a writer keep up? 

The sequel's looking good, Claire.  Sorry it took me a bit to get to it when I was the one begging for it.  Wink  But Easter when grandkids are around trumps SHADO every time.  Grin  They found eggs full of candy in the backyard and picked lots of violets for mommy and nana.  It was a lovely weekend!

Heh, well, infected leg is trumping SHADO for me; wish I was hunting for candy in the back yard; sounds good to me.  I have squillions of eatser eggs to eat and I don't feel like eating any of 'em; that's bad for me  Huh

Glad you're liking it thus far and I promise faihfully to edit again when my 'orrible leg prob goes away.  One nice (?) thing that came out of having to sit for 4 hours in the A&E last night was this gorgeous little boy, brought in with a rope burn (!) after a dog pulled him over.  He had a real trouble maker look about him, he was 7 years old and completely adorable; he made us laugh with his antics and he will find his way into a story of mine at some point. Ah well, back to the 3 day eventing at the Badminton Horse Trials on telly.

IP Logged

Claire
Captain

Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Chapter two is up now - getting really fed up not being able to write and/or edit.  This was completed yesterday before my day out at the local hospitals <g> but was in too much discomfort to get it here then.

Chapter three and onwards tomorrow (with a bit of luck).  Mind you, when I consider this was written back in 2002 and being a little bit updated in 2011 and from the middle of the story onwards rewritten, I feel I'm making s-l-o-w progress but it's better than nothing <g>

IP Logged

Lee Homer
Lieutenant

Long Live UFO

Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I like what you have posted here Claire. well done. I enjoyed reading this  Smiley

If Sky One was real....I'd be flying it right about now

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Outstanding! Very nice, but poor Keith, and Lew. Cry

I do hope they both make it. Shocked

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #12 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 3:29am
Print Post  
We don't mind slow progress, as long as we get something!  Grin  Hopefully you'll be back on your feet in no time and cracking away at the rest of the story.  It's really looking good so far.  Cool

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Claire
Captain

Reply #13 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Neesierie wrote on Apr 26th, 2011 at 3:29am:
We don't mind slow progress, as long as we get something!  Grin  Hopefully you'll be back on your feet in no time and cracking away at the rest of the story.  It's really looking good so far.  Cool

Chapter three is up now, slightly shorter as this is where I need to overhaul it so it may be a little while before I can get the rest up.

Thanks for the feedback, always welcome and glad you're enjoying it  Grin

Leg is in status quo mode today, not gotten worse but not getting better quickly enough  Angry

IP Logged

Claire
Captain

Reply #14 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Apr 25th, 2011 at 9:59pm:
Outstanding! Very nice, but poor Keith, and Lew. Cry

I do hope they both make it. Shocked

Oh well, we'll have to wait and see heh heh.  So glad you're liking it thus far.  I'm going to be editing as much as I can now (leg permitting)  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo