SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Add Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Quackers (just for fun) (Read 5331 times)
Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Quackers (just for fun)
Mar 26th, 2011 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
I've said before my husband Edward and I are on a two week holiday visiting Nans, and we're all staying at a hotel. When we all got to the hotel after an eight, nine hour drive, my husband noticed the restaurant next to the hotel. He started teasingly suggesting he go there. The restaurant? Hooters. (and I don't mean owls, do a google search, adult content)

Yesterday he was waiting for an important phone call, we were all happily at a park with a duck pond, feeding our faces with Taco Bell fresco tacos at the picnic table. After the call he didn't feel too well, gut acting up so I gave him his pain med, told him to just sit, relax and breath deeply to get through the pain. Relax? Not my husband. He was watching geese (we had fed them earlier with no problem and no geese hostility) chase a lady. Grin So after she left, my husband got up and went over to the geese to see if they'd do it to him. He's walking with them  and talking with them like he's the goose whisperer, suddenly one turns around and quacks and honks menacingly at Ed. Ed bends over, and Nans and I hear Ed tell the goose 'What's your problem?"  The goose looks strangely at this arrogant human he can't intimidate, and rushes off with the other geese, no doubt swearing in goose speak. So my husband is now officially the goose whisperer.  Both of us love wildlife. Ed's always loved birds and nature, and shows no fear in their presence, which he theorized was the reason why it could chase the woman, who clearly was scared as hell.  Grin
My husband also plays head games with squirrels. He hands the nuts to them, he doesn't always toss them. Once he held one out, and when the poor squirrel grabbed it, Ed didn't let it go. (Meanwhile I'm picturing my husband being eaten by the squirrel.) So what happens? The squirrel put its paw over Ed's hand for a better grip, pulled it (when Ed let it go) and ran off with it! It was darling, chuckle. I tried it too, they have soft tiny paws. Of course, all the wildlife books tell you NOT to do that. What can I say? Ed, Nans and myself are all quackers.    Has anyone else had a close encounter of the winged or fuzzy kind to share? Ed and Nans and I believe in making the guild as fun as possible. Until the Librarian whacks us for misconduct.

edited for that $*&^%^@$%^^& a-an mistake!!!

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Re: Quackers (just for fun)
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Hey, I've got what has to be the BIGGEST gray squirrel in the freakin' world in my backyard. The bugger is as big as the neighbor's Siamese. I can see the ears from 50 feet away. And it sits there and laughs at my dog.

Of course, at our old house we had a black walnut tree and the squirrels would sit up in it and through nuts at the dog (different dog).

And on campus, people are warned not to feed the squirrels - but what are you supposed to do when they climb into the stroller and steal your kid's snack crackers?  Shocked

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Squirrels are a blast!  We used to have one that lived in the tree in our front yard.  I called him Charlie and used to feed him crackers whenever I sat outside on the steps and ate them for a snack.  One day I gave him a cracker with peanut butter on it -- and that did it!  Forever after that, he would no longer accept a cracker unless it had PB on it!  Cheesy  True Story.

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Our neighbors have a squirrel feeder with peanuts. The squirrels bring them into our yard and I swear they're feeding them to the dog - I keep finding peanut shells in the house.  Huh

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

We need to defend ourselves...

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
The research Establishment where I used to work is situated in the remains of woodland. There is a thriving squirrel population.
On one occasion, one of the engineers left his office window open whilst he went for his lunchtime run.
He came back to find that his lunchtime sandwiches had mysteriously disappeared
He immediately stormed into the Registry, where my wife worked, demanding to know who had stolen his sandwiches.

A search revealed the remains of the sandwiches, scattered on the grass outside the office window.
It would seem that a squirrel had climbed through the window, sampled the sanswiches then decided that it didn't like them after all Undecided

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Maybe the squirrel was telling him something about those sandwiches... Grin

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 1:35am
Print Post  
Squirrel = Tree Rat. My wife has bird feeders and she is always complaining about the squirrels getting to her bird seed. So I find myself in the middle of a squirrel war every summer. Angry If we didn't live in a residential neighborhood, I'd be making squirrel stew and selling squirrel skin coats. Grin (only kidding)

But in all seriousness a good woodsman wastes nothing and I would never hunt for sport.

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 1:49am
Print Post  
My kids' grandmother takes a BB gun to the squirrels that bother her bird feeders.  She's a country girl at heart, and living in the city hasn't tamed her much.  Grin

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 2:05am
Print Post  
Too many houses close by here. We only have 4700 sq feet of land. I did consider it, but being raised around guns, I always think about safety first. Smiley

BTW my mother could out shoot all but two of the cops on the local police force. Grin

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 3:11am
Print Post  
Quote:
It would seem that a squirrel had climbed through the window, sampled the sanswiches then decided that it didn't like them after all Undecided

Okay, that's just ridiculous. Squirrels who not only beg, but now have gourmet preferences?

(best squirrel voice) That  tasteless sandwich again? Oh nuts!

IP Logged

Blue Shrew
Lieutenant

Did I wake you, Alec?

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 6:01am
Print Post  
Ok Librarian, I need a photo of "the BIGGEST gray squirrel" aka Squirrelzilla  Grin

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Smiley  Okay.  So where in the world did you find a photo like that?

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Smiley Smiley Smiley Way too funny!

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

We need to defend ourselves...

Reply #13 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Squirrels: Nature's little roadhumps

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #14 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
MkIXHawk wrote on Mar 27th, 2011 at 5:23pm:
Squirrels: Nature's little roadhumps

It's the first item on the menu at the Roadkill Cafe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Add Poll Send Topic