SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) We have a nomination (Read 13092 times)
Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Re: We have a nomination
Reply #30 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:22pm:
And Denise, you did make that goal! Smiley

Awwww!  You're so sweet!  Have a treat!

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #31 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I think they call that ADD these days!

Nah, ADD is something else - that's a staying on target issue frequently coupled with hyper-concentration. I know a few of those. Think of hunting dogs with two legs.

For those of us who are not poster children for the DSM IV (and some who are), I think staying busy is more a sign that you have plenty to do and there's no reason not to do it - plus it keeps the brain and body active which is always a good thing.

And Matt - consider yourself in good company. You're not the only person accused - out of context and behind their back - of being fill-in-the-blank (sexist, racist, bigot, a few others). I prefer to chalk it up to jealousy.

Are there differences between males and females? Hell yes. Are those differences easy to quantify? No. The variation within a gender is frequently wider than between genders.

My husband is not allowed to play with my tablesaw or power-miter and I'm the one who put together all the cabinets for the kitchen. DH rewires the stereo. I rewire the house.   Wink

Uh, the converstion went on while I was composing this - women would make better fighter pilots for a number of reasons, not just situational awareness. Greater physical tolerance temperature, G-forces, other things.

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #32 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Well, I know that I've always tended to get bored if I did the same thing for a long period of time.  Which is why I have such divergent hobbies!  I'm always bouncing between designing, sewing, and book-making -- as well as having photography currently as an occupation.  Then of course, there's the ever-present need to write!  It keeps me from getting bored, and yes -- gives me lots to do!!!  Grin

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #33 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Awwww!  You're so sweet!  Have a treat!

Thanks Denise! Smiley

Quote:
And Matt - consider yourself in good company. You're not the only person accused - out of context and behind their back - of being fill-in-the-blank (sexist, racist, bigot, a few others). I prefer to chalk it up to jealousy.

The comment that was made actually hurt more than anything else. I've never ever even thought alongs those lines. To me it's so un-natural. My parents raised the three of us never to judge anyone by, race, religion, sex, or appearence. Sometimes I get caught by my own naiveté. I expect that everyone else follows the same rules, but alas, that is not the case. When I was twelve, we had just arrived at my grandparents house after a sixteen hour drive. My grandmother was talking about a man who lived next door and she reffered to him as a N-man. (Yes using the N word) I was shocked and I told her so.

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #34 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
That's why the 'tear-downers' take things out of context - they can't say anything legitimately so they do it edited and out of context. Like accusing a writer of being sexist, whatever, based on what a character is saying.

That's like saying Thomas Harris is a psychopathic killer because he created Hannibal Lecter and some other seriously creepy crazies.

Consider the source.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #35 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Librarian wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:24pm:
That's like saying Thomas Harris is a psychopathic killer because he created Hannibal Lecter and some other seriously creepy crazies.

You mean he isn't?  Shocked   Cheesy

I quite agree.  Writers often find themselves portraying characters who have entirely different life views than they do.  We'd all have to have split personality disorder if every one of those viewpoints were our own!   Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #36 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Just imagine what they would say about Stephan King! Shocked

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #37 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Librarian wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:34pm:
My husband is not allowed to play with my tablesaw or power-miter and I'm the one who put together all the cabinets for the kitchen. DH rewires the stereo. I rewire the house.   Wink

Uh, the converstion went on while I was composing this - women would make better fighter pilots for a number of reasons, not just situational awareness. Greater physical tolerance temperature, G-forces, other things.

My wife is very protective of her tools. Cheesy While she can change a light switch or fixture, she leaves the breaker box work to me. But she can change the oil in the car, rotate the tires, she even helped me change out a water pump in her 87 Hyundai, long before we were married. Knowing that she had a tool fetish, as well as a shoe fetish, made holiday shopping very easy! Cheesy

I agree about the fighter pilot skills, although I think SA is the biggie. If you don't know what's going on around you, you'll never get to the point of pulling G's before getting your tail smoked. Grin

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #38 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 5:16am
Print Post  
Voting for the Kerth Awards has now started Voting
General Straker's nomination is under 'Best Original/Supporting Character'.

And feel free to vote for my other two nominations (Dandello).  Grin Wink

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #39 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Done. Does this mean you'll overlook my  lousy grammar and formatting skills?  Grin  Wink

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #40 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
That was so cool!  Isn't it a shame that there aren't enough UFO fanfic writers to make such a nomination possible?  Do the winners get a certificate to frame?   Smiley

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #41 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Done. Does this mean you'll overlook my  lousy grammar and formatting skills?    

Would your high school English teacher?

Quote:
Do the winners get a certificate to frame?

We get a cute little graphic. I've never won so I don't know about a certificate - but I'm sure there is one.

The Kerths are actually a great honor - just to be nominated means your character or story was memorable enough for people (lots of people) to suggest its inclusion out of that year's field of potentials.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #42 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Librarian wrote on Apr 4th, 2011 at 5:16am:
Voting for the Kerth Awards has now started Voting
General Straker's nomination is under 'Best Original/Supporting Character'.

And feel free to vote for my other two nominations (Dandello).  Grin Wink

Got you covered Deb, break a leg! Cheesy

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #43 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Would your high school English teacher?

No, but one of my college English professor liked me! He would!  Grin
He took us all to a pub style bar on our last day of class. We all ducked darts that were being thrown around. He liked me, but he was amused that I took the same class over and over but with different teachers.  Grin One of the students spilled some fancy cocktail all over her, she was slightly sloshed. I played it Straker style, I stuck to Pepsi on the rocks.  Wink

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #44 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
The Kerth Award ceremony is tonight and tomorrow or so they'll post the winners. But just being nominated is an honor - the competiton is always stiff.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo