SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) We have a nomination (Read 13089 times)
Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Re: We have a nomination
Reply #15 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Comic books - Lori Lemaris I think was that character's name - as I recall it was an amnesia story.

And yes, I think she was at least as annoying as Ariel and an obvious Mary Sue as well (Who says professionals don't write Mary Sues?)

As for Lane - Well, I pretty much stick to the Lois & Clark 'verse or the Movieverse, so she's not quite as annoying (or preternaturally oblivious) as the older comicbook version(s). At least the newer versions aren't quite as dense as the old ones.  Grin

If you only have one solution to a problem - you're not trying.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #16 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
If you've ever looked at the test they have online to tell if your character is a Mary Sue, you'll find that the only ones they consider not Mary Sues are those females who are fat, over forty, and blind.  So I really don't think it matters whether a character is called a Mary Sue or not, since they all fit in that category the way it is presently defined! 

Now the men, on the other hand!  Every one of them (in novels and on TV) would be labeled a Mary Sue if they used the same criteria for males that they use for females.  Obviously there's something wrong with this picture!  Angry

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #17 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 1:14am
Print Post  
SHADO is loaded with Mary Sues by design, Cheesy after all, Straker wanted the best of the best. :Smiley

It has been my experience in life, that people that strive for excellence in one field or specialty often end up being multi talented. Wink

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #18 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Well, in this case - she was beautiful, royal, kind, brilliant, and hopelessly in love with the hero and her ONLY fault, aside from breathing water, was that her father hated landlubbers.

In fact she sounded WAY too much like my early heroines (back in Jr. high school - maybe even before Mary Sue was named that) - female James Bonds, tall, beautiful swim suit models with green eyes and wavy hair and running off planet intelligence services and falling madly hopelessly in lust with Jim Kirk. (They were also all related to Spock.)  Grin

Hey, I was thirteen.

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #19 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:16am
Print Post  
Quote:
female James Bonds, tall, beautiful swim suit models with green eyes and wavy hair and running off planet intelligence services and falling madly hopelessly in lust with Jim Kirk. (They were also all related to Spock.)

Hey, I was thirteen.

Quite an imagination! Wink Nothing wrong with that. Related to Spock? On his mother's side I'll bet. Cheesy

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #20 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 5:14am
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 1:14am:
It has been my experience in life, that people that strive for excellence in one field or specialty often end up being multi talented. Wink

Huh.  That's interesting.  I was always told I was overly creative as a byproduct of abuse, since victims usually protect themselves by retreating to the safety of their mind.  You mean, there's another reason?  Shocked

IP Logged

Librarian
IAC Member

I may be blonde but...

Reply #21 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 5:51am
Print Post  
Well, it's moderately helpful to be bright and willing to work. But then all achievement is 99% perspiration. :Smiley

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #22 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
You've got that right, Deb!  Did you know that men who are multi-talented in more than one field are considered 'Renaissance men'?  Women who are multi-talented are considered normal.  Go figure!  :Smiley

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #23 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Well, it's moderately helpful to be bright and willing to work. But then all achievement is 99% perspiration. :Smiley

Nothing like good old fashioned hard work! Grin

Quote:
Huh.  That's interesting.  I was always told I was overly creative as a byproduct of abuse, since victims usually protect themselves by retreating to the safety of their mind.  You mean, there's another reason? Shocked

While I'm sure that there are those who were inspired by abuse, I would never consider abuse as the sole source of creative thinking. Inspired thinking is truly unprejudiced.

When I was playing out, I had the chance to work with some very talented musicians. These people were every bit as good as any picker I heard on the Grand Ole Opry. It's really too bad that the line between those that make it and those that don't, is fine indeed. Undecided

My point is being surrounded by people, who write, sing, play, better than you, forces you to leap beyond the walls that have been set up in your mind. Smiley

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #24 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Yeah.  I've been a workaholic all my life.  I don't know idle.  In fact, Straker and I have that little trait in commmon, that even our 'down time' is spent doing something productive.  (I think they call that ADD these days!)  Wink

So, Matt, there are benefits to hanging out with those who know more than you do other than just for the interesting conversation?  Grin  Cool.  Cool

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #25 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Neesierie wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 1:33pm:
You've got that right, Deb!  Did you know that men who are multi-talented in more than one field are considered 'Renaissance men'?  Women who are multi-talented are considered normal.  Go figure!  :Smiley

The last time I tried to analyze the difference between men and women, my remark was taken completely out of context and I got called a sexist (behind my back). Of course anyone who has read my stories knows that nothing could be further from the truth. I do have an opinion as to why that is, but I might be taking my life in my hands if I put it forward. Cheesy

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #26 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
My writer son always calls me a sexist!  :Smiley  He really doesn't like it when I point out the inconsistencies of our society.  But then, he's a guy and they're in his favor, so why would he complain?

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #27 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Now that's a twist. Gals almost never get called that, as far as I know. :Smiley

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #28 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Actually, Matt.  I know why it's that way too.  Any woman who's tried to raise kids, keep a home, and still make her hubby happy is aware that multi-tasking isn't a neat idea -- it's the only way to survive!  But men who spend most of their time at work doing one kind of job (even when they do it excellently) tend to have a narrower focus, so that when they do excel in several areas it's a surprise!  I only made my comment because when I was a teenager my goal in life was to be a Renaissance woman.  I was so bummed when I finally realized that there was no such term for females!  Undecided

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #29 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
I agree, whole heartedly, and that is what I was going to say. That's a compliment ladies! That's why I think a woman would make a better fighter pilot. They possess situational awareness to the nth degree! Wink

And Denise, you did make that goal! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo