SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Writing (Read 3666 times)
Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Writing
Jan 17th, 2011 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Having had a wonderful time reading (and re-reading) some of the more recent stories here as they develop and many of the older stories in the library, I wondered whether writing fan fiction is an end in itself or an useful step towards writing "original" fiction (for want of a better expression).

There are clearly some exceptional writers on this forum and in the library. In my spare time, I read a lot - the fiction is mostly thriller / crime / scifi & fantasy... and over the past 6 months or so, I've compared some books to what I read on here. Not only do some of you hold your own against published authors, I think you're better.

So, do you write UFO fiction in order to develop and hone your writing skills with a view to one day writing something "original" for publication (though, of course, perhaps you already have work published?) or do you enjoy writing in existing universes (UFO, Thunderbirds, Stargate, Harry Potter, etc) sufficiently for that to be an entirely satisfactory end in itself?

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

We need to defend ourselves...

Re: Writing
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2011 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
I believe that 'Fan' fiction is a valid genre in its own right. certainly, to do the subject matter justice, the research requirements are at least as challenging as, say, Historical dramas. In certain respects, the audience for Fan Fiction is likely to be more critical, particularly amongst the more 'enthusiastic' fans who know every little detail of their pet subject inside out but who can become very possessive about the characters. I can personally attest to this; the Captain Scarlet novella I wrote, for the most part was given a warm reception - with one notable exception - a lady. herself a fan writer, who threw her copy across the room in disgust because what I had written did not tie in with her ideas of the Spectrum universe.
As with all literature, some authors are more talented than others. In the 'Real' world, you get the greats such as Asimov, Wells, Pratchett  etc, through to those whose work, although popular, could be best described as formulaic, derivative pap (Jeffrey Archer, Barbara Cartland and Dan Brown come to mind)
This seems to be particularly true in Fan Fiction which ranges from DC Fontana who started in FanFic and ended up writing Trek scripts, through to the really obsessive fans who really cannot see that there's a REAL world beyond their particular 'universe' and tend to commit the worst 'Mary-Sues'.
I find thast the challenge of keeping within canon gives me both a challenge and discipline. I'm sure I could create my own fantasy universe but I enjoy the ones that I've been given
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2011 at 9:25pm by MkIXHawk »  
IP Logged

Elentari
Recruit

CMDR Straker Rules!

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 12:02am
Print Post  
I used to write fanfic before it was probably even called that but after extreme parental disapproval I gave it up....for decades.  Once I discovered fanfic on the net I found some of the stories inspiring enough for me to want to write again but I have never felt the urge to write a 'proper book'.  I know my limitations! Smiley

However, I have read other peoples' stories that I would dearly like to see in hard copy - not in fanzines but on the bookstore shelves.

I don't write UFO stories unfortunately, but I've read plenty and I agree they are great.  My chosen fanfic writing world is Captain Scarlet but who knows...one day an idea for a UFO story might finally happen. Cool

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
MkIXHawk wrote on Jan 17th, 2011 at 7:54pm:
certainly, to do the subject matter justice, the research requirements are at least as challenging as, say, Historical dramas. In certain respects, the audience for Fan Fiction is likely to be more critical, particularly amongst the more 'enthusiastic' fans who know every little detail of their pet subject inside out but who can become very possessive about the characters.

Can't they just.  Wink

If the author is taking their writing (and their readers) seriously then yes, I do think the research needs to be as painstaking as for any other variety of fiction. And yes, you’re also right: the readers are likely to be knowledgeable and more critical than someone reading an original standalone story or even a series.

I can personally attest to this; the Captain Scarlet novella I wrote, for the most part was given a warm reception - with one notable exception - a lady. herself a fan writer, who threw her copy across the room in disgust because what I had written did not tie in with her ideas of the Spectrum universe.

You must have been very proud!  Grin Is this novella available to read on tinternet anywhere?

I find thast the challenge of keeping within canon gives me both a challenge and discipline.

Canon vs non-canon concept - as often discussed here - is very interesting, I think. While I would not particularly want to read about a Straker who’d been married three times before Mary (as an off-the-top-of-my-head and daft example) because that would mess with what is (to me) a fixed aspect of the series, to what extent can sticking entirely to canon prevent an author being as inventive as the muse directs them? Can it inhibit a plot going where it chooses? I suppose I’m saying: does staying strictly on-canon reign in imagination and is that potentially a bad thing?

Elentari wrote on Jan 18th, 2011 at 12:02am:
I used to write fanfic before it was probably even called that but after extreme parental disapproval I gave it up....for decades. 

How very unsupportive of them. I'd have applied for a parent upgrade.

However, I have read other peoples' stories that I would dearly like to see in hard copy - not in fanzines but on the bookstore shelves.

Yes. It would be nice if the arrival of readers like the Kindle and Sony enabled readers to download fanfic stories… even if a (small!) fee was payable. It would be a brilliant way of making fanfic more easily available and portable. Is some fanfic already available to be downloaded onto readers? Not having got an e-reader yet, I’ve not investigated how it works – if I buy a Kindle, would I be tied in to only what I can download from Amazon?

Calebschosen wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 11:32pm:
Tried original and discovered I truly sucked at plotting.

Hmmm, I think you may be being a tad over-modest. But, yes, I know what you mean. I wrote a few (very) short stories – and even had two accepted for publication in wimmin’s magazines - years ago… like about 30+ years ago… but I could never come up with anything that really approached a plot and would stretch to even long short story length.

However, I had an idea which I tried writing during NaNoWriMo two years ago and achieved about 38,000 words… before one of the key characters who'd rather taken over the action told me very firmly that the vital plot twist they were required to initiate at that stage of the story was, by then, utterly out of character. I couldn’t make it work without going back to about page 3 and re-writing… so I’m afraid I gave up.

I know of one other writer who was commissioned to do a tie in novel for Forever Knight, and she was forbidden to read or write any FK fan fic for two years, by contract.

Good grief!  Shocked

Over the past 10 years or so, I have seen so many series tie in books from Babylon 5 to Torchwood (and some of the latter were quite good but at least some were from established writers iirc) to Buffy (and the few of those I read were really poor) that I wondered if book tie-ins were a way for fanfic writers taking their work to the next level. From what you say, then, only on very rare occasions is the answer.

I'm not sure this answers the question at all ....

Remind me what the question was...  Cheesy

Thanks guys. Really interesting replies. And apologies in advance if I've attributed any of the quotes incorrectly. I got very confused at one stage.

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 8:15pm
Print Post  

I can personally attest to this; the Captain Scarlet novella I wrote, for the most part was given a warm reception - with one notable exception - a lady. herself a fan writer, who threw her copy across the room in disgust because what I had written did not tie in with her ideas of the Spectrum universe.

Normandie wrote:
You must have been very proud!   Is this novella available to read on tinternet anywhere?

yep: Enjoy!  Cool

http://www.century21models.talktalk.net/Literature/CRISIS.pdf

IP Logged

Elentari
Recruit

CMDR Straker Rules!

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 9:02am
Print Post  
I used to write fanfic before it was probably even called that but after extreme parental disapproval I gave it up....for decades.

How very unsupportive of them. I'd have applied for a parent upgrade.

Grin If only a parental upgrade had been possible...but I probably wouldn't have taken it.  In other respects my parents were really great.

However as far as my feeble efforts at fanfic were concerned....you don't know the half of it.  Parental disapproval actually meant not only was I not allowed to waste my time writing, everything I had already written was taken away and destroyed.  So it was back to school work etc for me.

The real irony is, my mother is quite proud of my simple stories and will tell anyone who asks (and probably a lot who don't) that I'm 'a writer on the internet'.  I've come to the conclusion she actually doesn't remember that earlier episode.

As I never had any real ambitions to be a 'proper published author' I don't bear any grudges.  There was quite a concerted push to conform when I was growing up so I get where they were coming from.  Got to love the baby boomer era. :Smiley

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
MkIXHawk wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 8:15pm:

Thank you. I've saved the .pdf and I'll read it this weekend.  Smiley

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 6:56am
Print Post  

Having said upthread...

Normandie wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 7:15pm:
It would be nice if the arrival of readers like the Kindle and Sony enabled readers to download fanfic stories… even if a (small!) fee was payable. It would be a brilliant way of making fanfic more easily available and portable. Is some fanfic already available to be downloaded onto readers?

...I did some research. I had assumed that fanfic writers would have to make their work available in a specific format to be downloaded to readers. That .pdf files (for eg) wouldn't work because a text file needs to "flow" to enable it to be easily read electronically. A .pdf file is formatted to display fixed pages, A4 in Europe (not sure about the US) which would make it unsuitable. 

However, it appears that e-reader owners can convert files themselves for download to their reader with this free software:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

I now really want a Kindle or Sony. Cool

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Normandie wrote on Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:20pm:
MkIXHawk wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 8:15pm:

Thank you. I've saved the .pdf and I'll read it this weekend.  Smiley

So, what's the verdict?

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 8:50am
Print Post  
MkIXHawk wrote on Jan 29th, 2011 at 5:37pm:
So, what's the verdict?

Sorry, Hawk, I'm only half way through the story. Friends decided they wanted to escape from the grey and rainy north of England and have some time in... grey and rainy Normandy. So we've been out and about with them a lot over the past 10 days and I've had very little time at the 'puter. However, they're due to leave today so once the beds are stripped and the laundry is in the washer...

I have enjoyed it so far. I don't remember the Spectrum universe that well so I'm reading it as a straight-forward scifi story and it really works. Cool

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Calebschosen wrote on Feb 1st, 2011 at 4:42pm:
Kira-kun is in the midst of insane family stuff and started classes again, which puts a kibosh on the plot bunnies. (kicks plot buns under a basket of laundry and snarls at muse.)

Can you get the (currently underemployed) muse working for you doing washing, cleaning, and maybe attending a few of your classes? You really have to think outside the box.  Smiley

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks Hawk, I really enjoyed it. For me – I’ve not watched the series for years - the recap on the premise was useful and fitted in nicely, it didn’t jar or interrupt the narrative. As an aside, reading it in parallel with the extreme budget cuts underway in Europe, it feels very contemporary! All in all, it read well and it represented its roots well in the way it read. A bit script-like and slightly comic book in style. Very clever.

There were some nice light moments to contrast the dark: liked the musings of the ambulance crew considering a literary career. Loved the reference to bumble bees defying the laws of aerodynamics…

Small observation: occasionally, the story jumps from one scene / location to another – very much as would happen in the show – but the reader doesn’t have the visual clues to know where we are. A couple of times I had to read back to figure out what was going on. I guess the scene can be so clear in the writer’s head, it’s easy to miss totally setting the scene clearly in the reader’s head too. Or maybe I just read too fast.  Wink

I liked the positive note re Captain Black at the end.

Well-written and I enjoyed it. Maybe you and Lightcudder should collaborate on a comic-style production. You write, L draws…

Getting my coat now…  Grin

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Normandie,
In answer to your first post on this subject, I write fanfic because it's the only way to get the stories in my head out of there!  Once they're on paper, I can move on to other stories that want their air time.  I guess I always assumed that this was normal, since I've always been this way.  I love movies and some TV, but for me to write about a show, it has to really speak to me.  And UFO did.  It still does.  So even though I truly want to write fanfic for Firefly and ST:TNG, my stories always end up starring a certain pale blonde man with an attitude.  Wink

I love to write and have written a great deal of poetry and non-fiction, plus a few children's stories.  But I have no drive to be published, perhaps because it's so easy to print and bind my work for my own enjoyment or to give as gifts.  So fanfic works fine for me, since no one can bug me to send it off to a publisher.  (Although a few well-meaning friends have tried anyway!)  :Smiley

I hope this helps answer your question.  I think you'll find that everyone writes for their own reasons.  But it really boils down to a need to share what's in your head with others in the hopes that they will like it too.  Smiley

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Normandie,

My first foray into writing was over twenty years ago. I had started a Star Trek TOS story that I never finished. My muse went into hiding and that was that. A year and a half ago I discovered the SHADO library and seeing other's write stories about a series that I truly loved got me to start thinking about a story that had been in my head for years. Deb's comment in the library about adding to the UFO mythos, and being brave enough to share a vision was probably the thing that most inspired me to put my story down on paper.

I write for the sole purpose of sharing my vision of the series, and I have no plans or intentions of ever being published. (Although it would be nice to see one of my stories make it to sci-fi publication. *grin*)  Smiley

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo