Teddy
Recruit

UFO Rocks!

Re: Teddy
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Hi Folks
Here are my gorey details:
Real name Richard, British, 48 years old and live and work in Nagoya, Japan as a Sports Physio and teach Physio at a Rehab College here. Married no children.
Many moons ago actually met Gerry Anderson in London during a sale of Thunderbirds original slides, his chief puppeteer was there and showed the Virgil and Scott original puppets and how she worked them, amazing.
UFO always been my favourite Andersons production, timeless and the noises of the UFOS really spooked me.
Even now UFO is on here in Japan running every morning at 6.00am and repeated, and of course Konami are pumping out the UFO merchandise here.
My hobbies sightseeing hiking around this amazing country, cycling and i'm a flight simulator nut, I have a B747-400 training package taken me 4 years to get my head around.
Well that a little of me.

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Nice to have you with us Teddy..!

Louise!

(envy you having all  the Konami stuff over there!!)

I need some air.
IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Hi Teddy,

welcome here as well! Unlike Louise I am most envious of your chance at eating sushi and sashimi from the source as often as you want  Grin

How do Straker, Alec and Co. sound in Japanese?

IP Logged

Teddy
Recruit

UFO Rocks!

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Hi Louise & Guina

Yes Louise, looking at the prices Konami things are going for on E-Bay I feel blessed, Japan is so retro, I've been able to put my childhood and beyond in order, collecting all those things I never looked after, or lost years ago, they are great collectors here, and UFO is doing the rounds along with Joe 90 every morning at 6.00am so after living in Japan 10 years I can't believe that so many of our favorites have passed on, my wife is Japanese and a great Manga collector so she accepts our home looking in part like a toy shop, the old Burt Ward & Adam West Batman and UFO rock my world, never really got into Space 1999 but I loved the Eagle transporters. Searched all over for a really good Moonbase model but alas amazed haven't really come across one here.

Hi again Guina
Actually UFO is shown in English with Japanese subtitles however Thunderbirds was shown in Italian (in Japan) ? and Japanese last year (I give up). Sushi, Sashimi, Okonomiyaki, Nabe, where to stop, it's so nice, can't understand why the people stay so slim here, food is so fresh, and always amazingly presented, however, I really miss Cornish Pasties and Rich Tea Biscuits, how sad am I  !!!

IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Hi Teddy,

I used to cook for myself Japanese for 2 years and never had any weight problems even tho I ate more than now (and now I do have problems, with normal europan fare). Must be the quality of the food, the excellent proteins and little sugar and fat.

IP Logged

Teddy
Recruit

UFO Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Hi Guina
I think the key here, is not only the quality, lack of fat and salts but the portions, here food is to be savoured an occassion, not an exercise in how much we can consume, so I think we train our mind and body to expect less, and so enjoy it more, I think laying off the tempura helps also.

IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Hi Teddy,

Smiley on the tempura!

As to quantities, the average Japanese menu I ate so far (in France, the UK, the USA, Germany and Russia, unfortunately never in Japan) is - when put together - not that much less than any average (okay not a French one  Grin ) dinner of any other nation. It just stretches out longer and comes in smaller amounts, but in more courses.

And don't start me on tempura, really. I ate a choice assortment of those once in the restaurant of Toshiro Mifune in Munich. Myam-myam!

(slinks off to get herself something to eat now)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic