SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) FDK Face Up (Read 16831 times)
Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Re: FDK Face Up
Reply #60 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Why? Be careful Matt... very very careful...... moderator here!!!

(Louise quickly deletes Matts entire stash of stories and then runs and hides!)

I need some air.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #61 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Please start with "In Training" it's being a prat! Cheesy

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
My beta tester hasn't had a chance to approve it yet, but I certainly like it much better!  See what you think.  Chapter 7 has been deleted and replaced.

And I'm a much happier camper!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #63 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Yes. A resounding yes.
Stronger. forceful, more in keeping with the rest of the series..

I like the way Cait reacts to the news.
and  Eds reaction.. to let her go if that is what she wants.
The dark side of SHADo runs through this chapter.. security wouldn't have let her live.. ect

I liked the first Chapter 7 , but you are right. this is SO much better! Wink

I need some air.
IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Hi Denise,

I'd planned on writing a short review on Face Up, but upon reading your first version of chapter 7 I did a raincheck and decided against. I didn't want to come over as trashing what you write, but I have this thing with truthfulness and I couldn't have given that ending good marks.

So, now you have made it easier for me, by rewriting the end, which is now much more plausible!

Soooo....  Smiley

I like your protagonist, especially whenever she's interacting with someone else but Straker. Then Cait has pluck, mettle and is actually funny and gritty. Quite some potential there and I think it might be interesting to see more of her in future stories. That scene with Jackson was real fun to read, especially as Jackson also comes over as way more human than usually.

I'd love to see Cait less of a puddle at Strakers feet in the scenes with Straker though  Grin

I like some of the rather visual and tactile ideas in the story, like the treasures, the sort of items both of them gather as keepsakes, Jackson's spoon, Shannon's T-shirt for Straker.

I have my biggest problems with Straker himself, especially in the first version of the ending. He's quite simply too perfect, too sweet, that's better now insofar that he suggests she can go, if she wants that, almost again making a complete disaster out of his private life (as he did repeatedly in the series itself).

That discussion in the revised version works better. I probably would have preferred it drawn out into 2 or 3 chapters, possibly with Cait actually leaving him standing to reason it out with herself on her own. But any which way - this new ending is miles better than the first one now!

Lastly, I see lots of potential for further stories, especially with Shannon and of course with Cait's abilities (which I think are a nice turn of plot, given that she is from Scotland).

All in all, I'd say not your strongest writing regarding plot and plausability, but firmly in the upper third.  Smiley

IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the review.  I'm glad that you like the improved version.  I'd spent three stories building up to that scene, and by the time I reached it, I didn't want to write it anymore.  So I'm glad that an honest review by my beta tester and a good night's sleep were able to produce a scene that I can finally be pleased to have written!

I'm also glad that you like Cait.  She's one of my favorite heroines so far.  I love her pragmatism.  It's simply delicious!  But I disagree with your assessment of her relationship with Straker.  She's no puddle.  However, I suppose it takes actually having been in a powerful relationship like that to know how it affects the way you act.  She's never going to be the same with Ed as she is with the rest of the world.  Love changes everything.

I do intend to write a fourth story to this series, but probably not more than that.  And it will take place about 15 years into the future, because I want to be able to have Shannon find out the truth about her dad.  I'm a romantic fool, and I'm proud to be one!  So Shannon will get her moment. 

In the meantime, it's hard to let Cait go . . . but I want to kill off Paul and he's been waiting a long time for me to get to him, so . . .  Cheesy

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #66 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Denise, I really like to rewrite of the last chapter. The first one wasn't bad, but this version really knocked it out of the park! Wink Home Run! Cheesy

I'm looking forward to Shannon finding out about her Dad! Wink

Oh boy, Paul is getting the axe. This I've got to see. Grin

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Matt!  My beta tester likes this series more than any of my previous ones.  She says it's got more depth and suspense than anything else I've done.  (Personally, I think she just really got off on all the mystery.  This series certainly had a lot of that!)  Grin

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #68 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
My tuppeny worth here...

I absolutely  LOVED Face Off. Absolutely LOVED it.. such a different story, so compelling and so good to see a totally different Straker.

I LOved About Face as well, a natural progrression from Face Off, but gentler, and  with Straker more in control. really enjoyed the intrigue of why the aliens were going for Loch Mhor.

Face Up... another very good story. I really really liked the explanation of why the aliens were targeting Loch Mhor.. something very different.. not after a human, but trying to rescue one of their own . That was a brilliant concept. But I think the story was really improved by the changed final chapter.. Cait proving that she is not a push over and Straker realising that he couold lose everything and yet being willling to do so.

A full circle to Face Off really.. Straker realising that  he has lost everything and losing control, and in Face Up, the same, losing everything, but this time, keeping control, keeping his emotions under wraps.

Love it, Love them all.

Interpol series next???   or combine Glitch and the September Challenge?? Hmmmm... there's an idea!

I need some air.
IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Louise!  It's hard to imagine that only a month or so ago I'd never written a mystery before.  Then I wrote Devil, which led me to thinking along the lines of Face-Off.  And bang!  Before you know it, I'm knee-deep in mystery stories!  Of course, the final two stories of this series aren't nearly as suspenseful as the first.  But having written the first one, I couldn't leave things as they were.  They had to be resolved!  But still.  I think I kept some mystery going in spite of the gentler touch in the sequels.  At least -- no one seemed to guess what was really going on!  Which is a huge ego boost to me, because I tend to be predictable.

So.  I've killed Paul and made him happy.  What next?  I need to decide if I'm going to do Glitch as the sequel to Anny or something else altogether.  I've got a week.  I'll see what I come up with.  Stay tuned!  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo