SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) FDK Glitch in the Machine Matt's take (Read 22722 times)
Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Re: FDK Glitch in the Machine Matt's take
Reply #60 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Like the tension MAtt. Also..interesting development with Jen and The Man! Looking forward to your ideas on that!
  It a very tight story. Great stuff!

Gosh I have so much reading to do .. I hate reviewing or commenting on stories until I've had a chance to really get to grips with them!

I need some air.
IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #61 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Matt wrote on Aug 7th, 2010 at 7:34pm:
“I just had a thought. I’m picturing you knee deep in ironing.

Oi! I have an hour or so of peace and came on here for the first time in 2 or 3 weeks and what do I find... Grin

Except after a load of visitors who've only stayed one night en route to somewhere else, I'm now thigh deep in ironing and beginning to panic.

I obviously have so much reading to do - can I read while I iron? Shocked

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #62 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Of course you can! Grin Great to see you on the board again! Smiley

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #63 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Missed you Normandie! Glad to see you!  Yes of course you can read while ironing.. I try to watch UFO dvds while I iron.. not that I do much ironing... well-trained hubby here!

Matt got your phrase in really well!  I am really envious of his style!

Try to keep your head above the pile of ironing though!

I need some air.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #64 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Lightcudder wrote on Aug 8th, 2010 at 1:22pm:
Like the tension MAtt. Also..interesting development with Jen and The Man! Looking forward to your ideas on that!

I have a follow on planned for this. The Man is going to see her in a different light, like candlelight! Kiss

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #65 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Hi Matt. I've been trying to get round to this for some time. I am so impressed with this story. I hope you don't mind one or two suggestions that I think might improve it.. feel free to ignore!!! I won't be offended!
Seriously, your story is excellent. there are one or two punctuation errors( look who is speaking!) and if I get the chance I'll try to send you a high;lighted version, but its a bugger to copy from the forum. if you have a Word version, I'll quite happily do that instead.

Review of Glitch in the Machine

Prologue.
A good start! Poor Keith... I like the way you show him as thoroughly competent and having the responsibility of dealing with the new system.  His conversation with Straker is believable and   very informative, especially the techno-=speak. This can be very daunting to readers at times, but I found it easy to read and yet it was way over my head.. if that makes sense!  And the big boss apologising to Ford. That must be a first! Nicely done.

My only quibble here is that the prologue would be better ending with Straker saying he will call Matt and Virginia.  It would make for a more natural break between the two different places; HQ and Matt and Ginny’s place.
The conversation between Straker and Matt is more of the techno-speak but again you handle this with expertise! I still don’t understand it, but that doesn’t matter!
Liked seeing Bill Johnson in the story!

Chapter 1

A very realistic conversation at the start, but it might help to put a little detail in occasionally, as it can get a little confusing occasionally swapping from one speaker to another. Something on the lines of;

‘Just about, we were hanging pictures in the living room when Ed called over.’ Matt told her ruefully.

And you managed to get your quote in... very very smooth! The master at work! I wish I’d thought of that!

A well-written account of the happenings in HQ, setting the scene clearly.  The section dealing with the ‘problem’ with the communications is excellent. I enjoyed your backstory for Keith Ford,  and the part about his family and the need for continued secrecy even from spouses. You even find something nice to say about Jackson. Well Done!

Nice touch with Wallace bringing The Man a coffee, and being perceptive enough to know how he is feeling. Future storyline here? I shall have to keep close tabs on Wallace!

Lovely ending to the chapter.

Chapter 2

Again, a realistic conversation between Jen and Matt.  That image of Ginny hands on hips, head cocked slightly...excellent! I can visualise her perfectly! Then he meets Keith again.. once more, maybe some distinction between people when doing so much speech. I got a little confused as to who was speaking at one point and a little detail can add a lot to the story. It’s sometimes hard to work out how someone is saying something as well...

‘No but I would expect him shortly..’  (  is the speaker cross, scared, angry, annoyed. )Ford gave Matt  a brief glance that showed his own exasperation at the continuing problems with the system.

At one stage you have four people in the room , Straker, Matt, Jen and Ford. and it would be better to have clear distinction between speakers here. Not sure if Matt or Ford are replying at times.

Very nice touch, having a virus .. we have a problem! Oh yes.. Love the phrase cumbersome hodgepodge!

Chapter 3
Powerful start to the Chapter. And Matt  suspects sabotage – clever guy! Matt shows his strength of character when he agrees to Virginia returning to Moonbase. I like the part where he is in the command chair and it makes him realise  what it means to be in charge. In fact, it makes me think that there is more to Matt than appears. I think we might see him return later in the command chain. A man who has his priorities straight and is not afraid to make difficult decisions, even at the risk of ones he loves. Remind you of anyone?
  I would certainly like to read more about  Matt  after this story.

More techno-speak, and very well done as always. Convincing and doesn’t make me feel foolish because I don’t ‘get it’.  And the frequent reference to coffee.. I can see where that is leading!! (snigger!)

You have planned this story with real attention to detail. I like the explanations in  Chapter 3 that explain what has been going on and the references to emergency restarts and  command level procedures.
A  really intense story. Readable, interesting and exciting. Thanks Matt!

Hope this is okay!
I hope to catch up with the rest of this  review later this week! 

I need some air.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #66 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks Louise! Smiley

This is great! I will certainly take your advice on those points you mentioned. I have done some editing but not a lot as I want to finish the story. I'm glad you liked the hands on hips Ginny! I took that pose from "The Cat with Ten Lives" and I can certainly see her striking that pose with her husband when he is being a brat! Cheesy

Oh yeah, watch out for Jen, she's got eyes on The Man, and she's not the type to wait around for things to just happen! Wink

Matt on the command team? I don't know about that one, he's going to be a busy guy in about eight months. :Smiley Although I can always bring him back to play some more later! Cheesy

I'll send you the word document after it's done and I go through it the first time. I might even finish this weekend! Grin I hope... :Smiley

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #67 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Excellent.!

I now have to get to grips with Dark  Matters 3,  Angry
the review for About Face Wink
and heaven knows what else.... oh yes... Glitch.. I need to write that story. Rats Angry

Looking forward to more of Ginny and Matt! ANd Ed and Jen

Oh, and why should Matt be busy in 8 months? I think it will be Ginny being busy! But someone has to keep working.. and somehow i can't see Ginny doing that!

I need some air.
IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Wow, Matt! Excellent save!  Way to go!  Woo-hoo!   Smiley
Where the baddies going to run to now?  Cheesy

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #69 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
They're all going to be knee deep in ironing! Cheesy

IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Silly goose!  Cheesy
Seriously, when do we get the rest?  I want Moonbase to be safe again.  Undecided

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #71 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
I'm typing at a torrid pace! Smiley

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #72 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
You are typing... I keep having to untangle my fingers...

Hope you appreciated my 'knee deep in ironing ' take in GLitch. took me ages to work that  one out.

Seriously though Matt, I'd like to see more of MAtt Hewitt in your Shado stories. a very believable and sympathetic character.

I need some air.
IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Yeah.  He's a nice guy, that Matt!  Wink 
You should keep him around.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #74 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
"Matt" was immensely honored when Louise compared him to The Man in her review. Smiley To be sitting in the big Man's chair and be told you have similar traits at the same time. Wow, good thing he's modest. We don't want it going to his head! Cheesy

Nah, Ginny will keep him in line! Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo