SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Five generations (Read 1630 times)
Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Five generations
Jul 21st, 2010 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
When I wrote "Distant Memories" I spent some time tracing my family tree to get a rough idea of how many great greats I had to use in the story.

An interesting sidebar to that is that I was reminded that when I was born five generations in my family were alive at the same time. My mom has a picture somewhere of me as in infant being held by my great great grandmother. Also in the picture was my mother, my grandfather, and my great grandmother completing the line from 1878 thru 1961.

I was wondeing if anyone else had five generations of family alive at the same time. Smiley

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Neesierie
Ex Member

Re: Five generations
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Nope.  No great greats.  In fact, none of my great grandparents were even alive when I was born.  And only one of my grandparents survived until I was an adult.  Sad

But my granddaughters have met their great grandmother, and the oldest even got to meet her great grandfather.  So that's four generations.  Smiley

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Denise, four generations is nothing to sneeze at! Smiley My great grandmother lived to be over one hundred. I still have four great aunts on my mothers side. One of them did a ton of research into the family history and I was able to link to their work on ancestory.com.

My grandfather on my father's side had done a tree by hand and I was able to get a copy from my aunt. I can only trace back to the 1800's on his side, but I have data going back to the 1700's on my mother's side.

Fun stuff! Smiley

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

dragon
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
On my kids/spouse's side, there were five generations when they were born. Not now, unfortunately. We only have four on my side: Zoe, Lee, Me, Mini-great gran. Same on the spouse's side now, we lost the great, great grand in 2000 and the great grand in 2009. Mind you, I've recently gotten in touch with my dad's side of the family and we apparently arrived in the US in 1664 ... or something like that. Pure anglo-saxon lunacy on my side. ON the other hand, the spousal unit's family has ancestors that apparently made it across the Bering Straits on foot and were here when the rest of them arrived in the 1700s, probably asking them why they were lolly gagging around on the wrong side of the planet ... his people are tough. <g>

IP Logged

Lightcudder
Colonel

Trust no one.

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I'm keeping very quiet here about the great uncle on my mother's side who was an IRA bomber, the other uncle who was a lunatic ( real one!) the aunt on my father's side who had an affair with a Catholic priest, the grandmother who was excommunicated for marrying an Anglican and who also had an illegitemate child ( so not done then!)

Oh yes.. and Captain Oates.. who needed a pee in Antarctica, went out, leaving Scott and Evans, and got lost. Grin
Four generations here.

none of us emigrated to anywhere else. We are still stuck here.  Angry

Although I'm thinking of coming to Florida next Feb to see the last shuttle launch Shocked

I need some air.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic