SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Add Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Visitors (Read 4621 times)
SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Re: The Visitors
Reply #15 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Hi Moo! I had to check the planet's name, I'm afraid. (Not sure I actually registered it when I saw the film, which was too many years ago now.)

I wonder if that thing on the back of the Moon is the Infinite Improbability drive?

No, I didn't follow Anne Francis' career at all. Though it's a shame about her cancer. And I would have liked that ocelot… Hmm. Can you see Ed with a pet like that??)

Write Rat, Ed was also holding a glass at the end of 'Destruction' I think, but it was probably apple juice.

Looking round Marc's Forum, I noted a number of suggestions about Ed possibly being a recovering alcoholic. If he drinks at all, this is very unlikely indeed. True alcoholicism is an addiction, every bit as bad as addiction to heroin, and the victim has to abstain completely. He just can't have an 'occasional' drink; once he starts he won't stop until he passes out or someone physically takes the bottle from him.

But there could quite easily have been an episode in his earlier life where he had a very bad experience with alcohol, which has led him to swear off the stuff.

I find his comment about 'self-control' to Alec very interesting, in view of what we later learn about Ed in 'Sub-smash'. The fanfic piece 'Hell-hole' points out to Ed that 'you're a claustrophobe, and you work in a hole in the ground'. It must take a LOT of self-control for Ed to function. Alcohol wouldn't help one bit!

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Re: The Visitors
Reply #16 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 10:52am
Print Post  
It would help if I could spell 'alcoholism'... hic

Moo, I forgot to mention, I was prompted for the 'free-fall subway' by the 'Gravitube' in fforde's adventures of Thursday Next (starting with 'The Eyre Affair', who is a human living in a parallel world who has the ability to jump into stories and take part in and behind them. She becomes a special agent of 'Jurisfiction'. The idea of the 'Gravity train' is quite well known, it seems; there's even a Wikipedia article on it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo