SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Foster and Straker (Read 2813 times)
DebbieJ
Lieutenant

Foster Forever!

Re: Foster and Straker
Reply #81 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 2:08am
Post Tools
LOL, Moo! I should have said cutlass.
I wish I could remember the name of the fencing master who was on the set of the BBC show but that's why he said that the Musketeers techniques were close to the foil and epee ones. Except when they fought on horseback with those slashing motions which he said were close in style to what would happen when one used a sabre. Though like I mentioned above the light cavalry sabre wasn't even invented until 1796.
I could picture Porthos using a cutlass as in a few Musketeer movies (especially the Disney live version) Porthos had been portrayed as once being a pirate. The BBC version of Porthos was a big guy and loved to wear a bandanna like a pirate. He could handle almost anything. Also the actor portraying the character was the first African American to play Porthos.
As far as competition goes I only have notes from what I've gotten off the internet. I more or less am familiar with Musketeer style of fighting which of course is slightly different from competition. Gosh, the list I have printed out that shows all the different styles in competition was mind boggling. I'd never remember all of them.
I, for one, would love to hear that funny story you mentioned.
I doubt now I could do fencing even if I wanted too as I have Fibromyalgia and have to be careful of what and how much I do. Sometimes the exercises my chiropractor used to give me made me worse. I have to be careful how much I lift as well. Oh for the days when I had no worries in that department.
But aside from that our local community college doesn't offer fencing. Another college that is well known throughout the U.S. is based in my town of Beaver Falls, PA. It's Geneva College. They don't offer fencing either.
I got a kick out of you saying your group was used as fresh meat for the jr. team. LOL! Grin

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #80 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 1:44am
Post Tools
Hi Debbie and SnowLeopard,

The shorter thicker blades used in all those pirate movies is actually a cutlass. The cavalry saber that came along much later has the point and blood groove with heavier blade so it can be used as a close-in stabbing weapon when the opportunity presented itself. Otherwise, the slashing was the primary function as is dictated from the saddle.

The foils used in all those Musketeer movies was more of an epee foil and the fancy footwork that goes along with it. In competition, you have a narrow lane to stay within and you use the pommel end as much as the tip in order to turn your opponents blade away from you while you drive your own tip home. It's more forward and back with the feet as your shoulder is turned toward the attacker. You present the least surface area for them to contact and you keep that rearward arm moving to offset the changes in balance as you shift side to side. In competition, you can score anywhere you can touch that spring loaded tip to your opponent. The upper arm is the closest target but that pommel can push your tip away. The forward knee and foot is also fair game. Some fencing competitors will hop and shout to throw the opponent off. I have a funny story about that for another time.

If you check your local community colleges, you can sometimes find beginner courses in the physical education sections. If nothing else, it helps you with balance and learning to move more fluidly. Our group met in an old hotel basement in North Carolina and the equipment was donated with the proviso that we learn the sport and provide ourselves as fresh meat for the state junior Olympic fencing team. They had fenced with each other so long they knew each others' moves. We were a bunch of middle-aged smokers but we put on a good show for them. Great fun...

Moo

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Lieutenant

Foster Forever!

Reply #79 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 8:07pm
Post Tools
Hi SnowLeopard! I was reading what you and Moo were discussing.
Personally, and I used to love watching martial arts and am a big Bruce Lee fan, I don't know if I would say Kendo is all that much like fencing except perhaps in the footwork.
I've watched nearly every Musketeer movie or TV show on the air and think there's a big difference between the two, having seen the way sword fighting has been portrayed on TV.
Kendo uses bamboo swords (Shinai) and protective armor (bogu). Like I said, the footwork may be similar in some aspects. Or perhaps it's just watching them using bamboo swords that throws me off.
I have seen movies where sabres have been used. Now I'm talking about the type a pirate would carry which is thicker and heavier. Not the type the cavalry would use since the original Musketeers novel was set between 1625-1628 and from what I've read up on the light cavalry sabre wasn't invented until 1796.
But like Moo said the sabre is more a hacking or chopping weapon. Not the style of fighting a Musketeer would use. Their blades are lighter weight but used with enough force behind the swing in a slashing downward, upward motion or lunge can be just as deadly.
Plus their arms would tire more easily using a heavy sabre in place of a sword.
Though you could say that the way one handles a sabre is very similar to the fighting style using a Musketeer sword, because of the way the body moves with it.
I've gained most of my knowledge of fencing to use in my Musketeer stories also from Wikipedia and quite a few other sites.
Fencing, and I'm sure Moo could tell you this, boils down to two main areas. Footwork and managing your weapon. Some of what I have printed out came from a fencing master who directed the sequences for the BBC show The Musketeers and that's how he breaks it down.
When the Musketeers fight on their feet they use techniques that are close to the foil and epee styles - keeping their opponents at a distance with the blade. On horseback, they're closer to the slashing sabre style (lighter cavalry blade). Which as he said isn't a surprise since the sabre in fencing grew out of cavalry fighting. He said there are big differences between modern fencing and the fighting on the screen. Musketeers' duels are conducted in large, swashbuckling swipes for maximum entertainment value. Unlike the light, quick moves used in the sport.
Take d'Artagnan's character. He is light on his feet and excellent at changing direction. Which is a big part of what always made his fight scenes.
The following I have are the basic moves he mentioned.
Offensive movies: Attack, Feint, Lunge, Beat Attack, Disengage, Continuation of Attack, Remise, Flick.
Defensive moves: Parry, Circle Parry, Riposte, Counter Attack, Point In Line.
These he broke down to describe each of the movements and have been very useful for me when I write fighting scenes.
Though I try not to do too often as they can get somewhat involved. LOL! If you don't have those, just post here and I'll break them down for you as I no longer have the website I got them from. But Moo could probably answer that question more than me. I would have loved to have learned fencing but they never offered that in school.
I actually found tons of stuff on the net pertaining to modern fencing which I printed out for my own use. But find myself sticking to the basic elements. As fencing back in the 17th century wasn't as modern as it is today making use of the many other elements now involved.
Hoped some of that helped but with someone like Moo who actually took up fencing, you have someone's brain to pick right there.

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Lieutenant

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #78 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 9:35am
Post Tools
Kendo does sound like a distinct possibility! It sounds a bit more like the sort of way the Musketeers would use their swords, but I'd take advice from Debbie on that.

We do have a nearby kendo club, but I think I'll stick to archery - though I haven't done that in a very long time. Wonder if I can still string my bow…?

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #77 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 3:59pm
Post Tools
If Straker's house keeper is proficient in martial arts, she could teach him Kendo, but that would be applicable to sabers only. The foil is a stabbing weapon and scoring is accomplished by pressing the tip-mounted switch to indicate a stab wound. The saber and most other versions is a hacking or chopping weapon and scoring is along the long blade surface. I did some fencing with foils back in the 90's. It was quite challenging but a lot of fun. That lane you have to stay within feels like it's only shoulder width apart at times. If you have it available in your area, it's worth checking out. The equipment is pricey though.

Moo

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Lieutenant

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #76 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 11:16am
Post Tools
I had a quick look at the Wikipedia entry on fencing, and decided that they would use foils - glad I made the right choice! I've also decided that Ed had tried it once before, many years ago, but as he says 'was pretty useless'. So they start by watching Nina and partner working out, then Nina has a go with both of the 'newbies'. She comments that Ed is trying to use his foil like a sabre. When he gets home, he's going to talk to his housekeeper about practising. Later on, he'll be very glad he did that.

In the meantime he's got a meeting with the ILFC at their new construction site in Plato. He'll talk to Victor, current ILFC boss Dr Sue Grant, and an officer called Colonel Koenig. These three are the only ILFC people who know what'sreally going on next door…

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Lieutenant

Foster Forever!

Reply #75 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 3:32am
Post Tools
If it were my decision, Moo, I'd pick foils. Sabre (saber) make me think of pirates. But since I'm a Musketeer fan I'd pick foils to begin with. Should be an interesting clash.

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #74 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 7:55pm
Post Tools
Foils or sabers?

Moo

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Lieutenant

Foster Forever!

Reply #73 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 5:14pm
Post Tools
Oh you have to have Straker fence with Paul too. LOL! Perhaps the housekeeper could help give him an edge or too against his boss.

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Lieutenant

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #72 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 11:20am
Post Tools
He'll have to take some lessons from his housekeeper - a martial-arts and fencing enthusiast (specially chosen by SHADO security, of course. Her duties aren't limited to washing the dishes   Shocked  ).

All I know about fencing myself is what I've seen Captain Picard do in the 'Enterprise' gym - so I had to read up about it. Educational this, isn't it   Wink

Now let's see. Will my plot have the two of them duelling in earnest... Yes of course, it has to!

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Lieutenant

Foster Forever!

Reply #71 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 1:45pm
Post Tools
Hi SnowLeopard!
I bet Straker will take to fencing like a duck to water. LOL!

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Lieutenant

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #70 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 6:51am
Post Tools
ATM I have this pair on the Moon, to look over the ex-Dalotek base. They've gone back to Moonbase  to do the paperwork.

(By special request) They are scheduled for an exercise session, and we see Nina fencing with one of the Interceptor pilots, having been encouraged by Chrys to take up the sport again. Chrys has also taught Foster the basics. Straker has never tried fencing, but he's about to!

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Lieutenant

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #69 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 11:02am
Post Tools
Sorry, I meant the aliens in the UFO that the camera-sat was following. Of course, they might be naturally beardless, or the green goo may inhibit beard growth.

IP Logged

SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

Reply #68 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 12:58pm
Post Tools
The camera-sat took 4 months, not any human mission.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Lieutenant

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #67 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 6:28am
Post Tools
Moo wrote on Jan 30th, 2017 at 10:09pm:
Imagine having a sneezing fit and runny nose in a pressure helmet filled with green fluid. Would the sneezing make bubbles?

Moo

A green sneeze.... yuk.

And what about their beards?? That trip in 'Close up' took four months, with them presumably suited up the whole time. Talk about 'The Man in the Iron Mask'. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: Google Digg del.icio.us Facebook reddit Twitter Linked in MySpace StumbleUpon Yahoo

Page completed in 1.6096 seconds.