SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Foster and Straker (Read 30062 times)
DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Re: Foster and Straker
Reply #105 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Turns out I missed reading The Collaborator by SnowLeopard and that's another reason I thought she was referring to the series. She may have thought I had already read it. But now I have so thanks again Shado Librarian for pointing me in the right direction. :Smiley

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #106 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 6:48am
Print Post  
Hi Debbie and Moo!

Debbie, sorry, I should have flagged 'Collaborator' as one of mine, not an episode. (I wish!!  Wink  ) Thanks Librarian for helping out.

Moo, that Fairbairn-Sykes is a vicious-looking piece of kit  Shocked ... I have to admit, I wrote that bit, then read it through and thought 'that won't do at all' so I called in Alec to cover Ed's behind.

Ed hasn't had an opportunity to arm himself, as he and Foster have just got off the LM, and although they've changed into their 'civvies' to go to the studio, he couldn't very well don his shoulder holster without Paul noticing. Also, he has to be defenceless in this scene, so that he's not tempted to make any aggressive moves.

I have the impression that SHADO personnel don't generally go 'equipped'. Certainly Paul didn't, in 'Cat with 9 lives'. And when Ed's walking around minus his jacket e.g. in SkyDiver, he's not wearing a weapon. Though in 'ESP', of course, both Ed and Alec are armed - and a fat lot of good it does them   Shocked

(Oops - should have been 10 lives of course   Embarrassed  )

(But I'm going to have to have him use that knife somehow. I'm reminded of a Brit TV series called Cadfael, set in the England of the early 12th century. Cadfael is an ex-Crusader turned Benedictine monk and something of a mediaeval Sherlock Holmes. In a story entitled 'The virgin in the ice' he is accosted by another ex-Crusader, Olivier de Bretagne, when they are both looking - separately, and unaware of each other's presence - for a pair of lost youngsters. Olivier grabs Cadfael and holds a knife to him:

Olivier: I have the advantage of you, brother.
Cadfael: And I think we should both have died.

Olivier looks down, and sees Cadfael's own knife (hidden away in his herbery since his Crusade days, in defiance of his vow of poverty) at his stomach!

That sort of situation turns up a lot in adventure fiction, so I think it wouldn't be plagiarism.)
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2017 at 10:26am by SnowLeopard »  

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #107 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Hi SnowLeopard,

I had the opportunity years ago to handle an original Fairbairn-Sykes and was really impressed with both the heft and the perfect balance. A well trained user could throw it some distance and puncture a recipient neatly. They weren't general issue items but were popular as gifts to commemorate some event. That's how the one I handled came into my friend's collection. I had been given to his father after some special project between USAF and RAF during Korea.

I think I've seen that show. Derek Jacobi if my memory is working... I am a fan of mystery stories and am currently working through a complete anthology of Sherlock Holmes stories. There are a lot of them...

All the best,
Moo

IP Logged

SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

Reply #108 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
In regards to the fight scene - the 'grizzled weapons master vs the young overconfident buck' is a fictional knife-fight staple. (Look at Dune) So long as the scene is in your own words and you don't directly quote the character's words from the other work(s) unless you give them (the source) attribution, you're good.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #109 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 7:39am
Print Post  
Thanks for that, Librarian, duly noted!

DebbieJ, I've pm'd you re the duel.

Moo, yes indeed, it was Derek Jacobi.
I''ve just been watching 'Reflections in the water' which I think is really the only episode which has Ed in hand-to-hand combat, to see how he gets on. Of course, a diver's knife is a different proposition entirely to a F-S. I might give that to Freeman, he'd love it.

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #110 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Okay SnowLeopard. I'll go check it now. Thanks!

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #111 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Hi again SnowLeopard,
Received your message and I responded. But after I sent it there's nothing to tell me you got it. So if you didn't let me know. I also asked you a question pertaining to the fight scene and put on there you could either respond here with a PM or simply e-mail me as I gave you my address.

IP Logged

SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

Reply #112 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
DebbieJ wrote on Feb 23rd, 2017 at 1:19pm:
But after I sent it there's nothing to tell me you got it.

In the Personal Messages - the little envelope icon changes to an open envelope if the recipient has read it OR has it emailed to them (in which case it's assumed they have read it.)

The Administrator.
IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #113 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Okay. Thanks for explaining, Shado Librarian. Unfortunately I already deleted her PM to me and my reply. I'll wait to see what happens next time.

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #114 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
DebbieJ wrote on Feb 23rd, 2017 at 1:19pm:
Hi again SnowLeopard,
Received your message and I responded. But after I sent it there's nothing to tell me you got it. So if you didn't let me know. I also asked you a question pertaining to the fight scene and put on there you could either respond here with a PM or simply e-mail me as I gave you my address.

Hi Debbie, your PM reached me OK, will reply by email to establish the link!

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #115 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
I got your e-mail and responded back SnowLeopard. Thanks! And it will be a little while til I get back to you after I read what you sent and look over what I already did to see if I want to make changes.
As we are enjoying, and I can't believe I'm saying this, a record high of 75 degrees in February I think the smiley face with sunglasses is appropriate. LOL!
Talk to you later. Cool

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #116 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 6:35am
Print Post  
DebbieJ and I have been collaborating, and she gave me a great fight sequence which fitted smoothly into my narrative. Must press on and get the first complete draft done - I have a lot of jigsaw pieces, but I can now see most of the picture.

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #117 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Before I forget - Debbie, please let me know sometime how my 'technical adviser' would like to be attributed!  Wink

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #118 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Hi again SnowLeopard,
I'll e-mail you this too but I think I liked it best when you first said I was your *Fight Coordinator* LOL! And of course I told you to go ahead and use my name. I did get a kick out of something else you said about thanking the studio for lending me out. Ha ha ha! I'm so tickled about this. Cool! And many thanks for asking me to help out with your story. Bows before you with a majestic sweep of her Musketeer chapeau from her head.

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #119 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
OK, I'll put this in at the beginning:

'Acknowledgements

My thanks to Harlington-Straker Studios for the loan of their fight co-ordinator and technical adviser, DebbieJ'
  Wink 

I rather suspect that I'll be using that F-S either later in this story, or in the next one… when I do I'll also say thanks to Moo!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo