SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Add Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Foster and Straker (Read 30064 times)
SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Foster and Straker
Dec 29th, 2016 at 7:57am
Print Post  
I've been thinking further about the relationship between Paul and Ed. And it's complicated.

I can go with Paul seeing Ed as a father-figure. That scene in Sub-Smash', where Paul admits to Ed that he's scared, supports it, as does his (almost indignant) reaction in the shooting gallery when he shouts at Ed: 'You could have killed me!'

But I don't think Ed sees Paul in quite the same way. Ed's experience of fatherhood has been disastrous, ending with the loss of his son. It's way too early for him to look for a 'stand-in' son, and I'm not sure he ever would. But I can see him wanting a surrogate brother. In Chris Bentley's book (yes I got my copy!!!) Ed is given as the only son of John Charles Straker, which suggests a number of possibilities.

And there's room for both viewpoints.

So I've made Marion Knight as Ed's stepmother. And she has (or had?) a son of around Paul's age, who will have an, er, interesting history.

Watch this space.

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major
SHADO Research

Straker and his coffee.

Re: Foster and Straker
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2016 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
In my original stuff, Straker's an only child. The closest he has to a brother is Alec Freeman. Which in the story I'm slowwllly doing I make pretty clear.
Alec is in the trouble of his life and Straker decides to go on holiday.
Or so it seems.  Cool

IP Logged

SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2016 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
One of the beauties of fanfiction, especially with UFO which left so many things unsaid and nebulous, we all see and write the characters differently because we see them through the lenses of our own experiences and our interpretations of that world.

Is Straker an only child? Is Foster? The UFO writers never said. But I know what it's like to be the older sister of a kid with a stratospheric IQ, therefore my version of Straker has many attributes of my kid brother - including an older sister.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2016 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Straker has always reminded me of Hamlet.  Is he the mad Dane, or does he simply want to catch the conscience of the King. As many interpretations of Hamlet as there are, there are many interpretations of Straker.

Just finished chapter two of A Sense of Wonder.

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2016 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
I did figure after I mentioned it that Ed would be more a brother figure. I don't think he's that old to be Paul's father to begin with. And this is funny with what you're insinuating because I've wondered if anyone would come up with the idea that they could be related in some form or another. It's happened with the Stargate SG-1 fiction I've written or read. Making Daniel Jackson either a son or kid brother to Col. Jack O'Neill and he had no idea about it. Oh, I can't wait to read your take on this one. Sounds like it's going to be a good story, SnowLeopard!

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Hi all. Some intriguing viewpoints there!

Marion's son from an earlier marriage is called Robert. It turns out that he's adopted. And he's disappeared. That could go a number of ways, but the aliens may not be involved in that.

I haven't yet decided whether to give Paul a sibling. I probably won't. But a person can be seen as a father figure not from the gap in actual years, but in psychological maturity, I think. On those terms, Ed is almost Gandalf to Paul's Frodo. Or (a teetotal) Athos to Paul's d'Artagnan!

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Hi SnowLeopard,
Boy this is the most I've replied or responded on this site. LOL!
Anyway, since I write in The BBC version of the Musketeers I so loved your comparison of Ed (Athos) to Paul's (d'Artagnan). Because in many ways that's what it is. It was never mentioned, except in certain fan fics that Paul was being groomed to take over from Ed eventually. As d'Artagnan would eventually take over being one of the finest swordsmen in all of France. Plus becoming the captain of the Musketeers. In the BBC show Athos is made captain and then by the end of the series d'Art takes his place.

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Interesting parallels!

My plot is hardening up a little. I've decided who Paul is, and he's not a blood relative of Ed, but he is connected. And there's a girl involved (obviously  Wink  ) and she's a source of trouble. Chrys will not be pleased, but she's on an astronaut training course.

Marion visits from her home in Jersey C.I. She already knows Mary, they would have met at the wedding. Ed would have told Marion about Johnny's death, but not the real circumstances obviously. Marion may try to help. She may not succeed. Also, she's not very well. But she does enjoy Ed''s cooking.

IP Logged

SnowLeopard
Captain

Where do they come from?
What do they want?

Reply #8 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 7:10am
Print Post  
It's developing, if I'm not careful I'll be overrun by plot bunnies!

They have forced me to write bits out of sequence, so I will have to connect them all together later. At the moment I know what happens to Paul, and how Ed is involved at his machiavellian best, and where Moonbase Alpha comes in. Oh, and the aliens, let's not forget them....

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Oh great, SnowLeopard! Sounds quite intriguing. Can't wait!

IP Logged

Write Rat
Major

Straker and his coffee.

Reply #10 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Foster says it in Kill Straker not Subsmash. The thing about getting older is in subsmash.
I found many things interesting in that you could have killed me scene. Straker touches Paul briefly in what I interpreted as father/comforter. Foster underestimated Straker yet again (but understandably I suppose  Grin. ) and once again Straker pulls a plot bunny out of his hat. Foster goes to pieces . He was convinced Straker was shooting blindly. He finds out Straker is a marksman. So the weaker older guy (harumph! ) with the will power outwitted him and saved his butt again. (Sorry Debbie  Cheesy ) btw you say forever Foster but you have Bruce Wayne pic lol.  Wait maybe Paul could be Robin?  Shocked
Do you just like the char or do you like Billington? I started off being intrigued by and drooling over Straker then I got involved with Ed over the years. Straker was a father figure to me while as a kid to young woman I was being abused. Bishop became a hero to me and a rare individual. Bishop brought that to Straker.

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Hiya... At some length even Foster with his youthful dose of piss and vinegar recognizes that Straker has immense inner strength, intelligence, skill and experience in life. It's from deep within that strength that he can show Foster compassion and yet command his respect. Straker really embodies the definition of what being a real man is about. It's what my Dad tried to teach me in my formative years. A foundation and will of granite that isn't afraid to reach out to those in need... Thanks Dad and thanks Ed Straker. Both good examples...

Moo

IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #12 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Hi Write Rat,
When I was new to this website and was creating my info unless I missed it I didn't see any icon to use for Foster and I have been a comic's fan since way back in the day, loving Batman and yes, mostly Robin. LOL! So I picked the Batman icon. But I loved Paul Foster's character from the get go. Okay, probably because he was a handsome guy. I wasn't really crazy about his womanizing ways though. In real life I wouldn't put up with that. He'd be out on his ear. Now as for Straker, my mom and I both really liked him. With that hair, though I told her it was a wig, and those eyes. She liked his air of command, even though she didn't watch the show like I did. I have all the dvds and bring them out to watch both delightful men at work. And sometimes TV characters can actually help us in real life as Straker's character did for you. If acted out correctly, some characters can leap off the screen and last with you a lifetime. Sometimes I wish there was a Straker in my life to help out with life's difficult moments for me too. I only say that because, after I lost my mom unexpectedly to a stroke late 2009, I am by myself now as we lived together like two Musketeers. But I've muddled through okay I think. I will say one thing on Foster that I've noticed on the stories posted here. Usually they leave him out or when they write about him he sounds like a spoiled brat. LOL! That's why I enjoy reading more positive stories with him in it and am looking forward to see what SnowLeopard does with hers. If they create a Paul Foster icon I'll change it to that. Ha ha ha! Nice talking with you.

IP Logged

SHADO Librarian
IAC Chair

UFO Rocks

Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
You can upload or link to your own avatars in your Control Panel

The Administrator.
IP Logged

DebbieJ
Captain

Foster Forever!

Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks Shado Librarian. But I don't have any avatars. So that leaves me with Batman. LOL! I'm okay with that though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo