SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Chane In the Air, Part III (Read 1493 times)
Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Chane In the Air, Part III
Feb 18th, 2016 at 3:12am
Print Post  
CHAPTER 23

There were several large radio-telescopes searching the heavens at remote sites dotting the surface of planet Earth. The primary search was for evidence of new planets but also to study known celestial bodies, utilizing infrared and other wave bands to unlock the secrets of the universe at a sub-atomic level.

It was new territory, and astronomers were beginning to understand the nature of binary stars, quasars, pulsars and star formation. They hoped to capture data on the decay and destruction of stars to support black hole theories as well.

The search for new planets involved looking for a winking effect caused by planetary bodies passing in front of a distant light source at regular intervals. They had catalogued several examples.

Another method used was to look for known and catalogued stars that exhibit changes in the position or intensity of the point of light. Objects in space with a gravitational pull often caused the measurable light and observed position to fluctuate as the light from behind the object was bent as it passed in front of the source. Several examples of these indicators of planetary presence had also been catalogued.

Two groups of radio-telescopes were working together in observation of these light anomalies. Each group consisted of two arrays in separate locations to confirm the observation and to add their own data to the aggregate picture.

The former NASA DSS1 site in Gauteng, South Africa was now run by the Foundation for Research and Development. It was working in tandem with the ATCA site in New South Wales, Australia.

Further northward, the Jansky VLA array in Socorro, New Mexico was working with the SEST site at La Silla, Chile on a similar project.

Both groups were studying visible light anomalies in different parts of the night sky.

Both groups were seeing evidence of what acted like a planetary system, with multiple objects bending light from behind them. These objects however, would not be added to the content of Messier’s Catalogue, for three very important reasons…

They exhibited no evidence of orbital movement relative to reference stars…

They appeared to be large because they were closer than the points of light behind them. And…

They were moving - approaching our solar system on a vector that would bring them near Planet Earth…

At the measured velocity of closure, tracked for nearly two weeks, the objects would enter our solar system in about six weeks…

There was no time to publish their findings in the appropriate periodicals or to schedule gatherings of fellow scholars and scientists. There was only one entity they could contact to get their message out to those who could do something - The International Astrophysical Commission…

The following morning, General Ed Straker’s orange phone buzzed for the first time in weeks.

“Straker…”

“Major Ealand, Sir.” “We have a call coming in from I.A.C.”

“We don’t have anyone in the building anymore.” “Who is it?”

“A Professor Leyton-Smythe Sir.” “One of the I.A.C. astronomers.”

Alec stepped into the office with Foster and General Prosser close behind.

“Put him through on the AV link, Major.”

“Yes Sir.”

The AV link chirped and Straker pressed the button to connect. He was looking at the side of an elderly man’s head.

“On your right, Professor…”

“Oh, I see you now.” “I had no idea Henderson had this kind of equipment in his office.” “All I could think to do was press the big red button on the phone…”

“You did just fine Professor, now what can I do for you?” Asked Straker.

“I need to tell General Prosser something of great importance.”

“He’s standing right here, Professor – go ahead.”

“We have four radio telescopes in various countries that have reported large objects heading toward Earth.” “They cannot be seen by optical methods, but we can observe the light bending around them due to their massive gravitational fields.”

“Is there anything else you can tell us, professor?” Asked Straker.

“They are coming from two different directions…” “They will be here in six weeks if their current velocity remains unchanged…”

Straker said. “Thank you professor.” “You will be hearing from us soon…”

Straker closed the AV link, with a searing gaze in his blue eyes. “Okay people, we’ve got six weeks to prepare a planet-wide defense network and get all the help we can…”

Someone at I.A.C. had already leaked the information to the press… Word spread quickly in print and on the radio and television. People were already responding with fear and scrambling to stock up on food, water, medication and ammunition in countries that permitted firearm ownership. Still, there were skeptics…

“Get on those contractors and builders.” “Get all of our assets into the field and working immediately.” “Get those intel agents out there in force and have the combat troops and RAU’s ready to move on any alien cells they find…”

“The closer those invasion forces get, the more resistance we can expect from subversive groups here already.” “I want maximum security measures at all SHADO sites.” “All military bases around the globe will need to do the same.”

Straker looked at General Prosser, saying. “General, you’re going to need to get supporting evidence from I.A.C. and prepare to address the world again.” “This time you can do it from right here in our auditorium.”

He added, “Give the press time to spread the word and distribute the photos.” “Let the masses weigh the information for themselves and develop a healthy fear.”

“What the hell are you doing, Ed?” Demanded Alec. Straker lit his cigar.

“Alec, I’m not leaving them out to hang in the breeze of impending doom.” “I’m giving them time to demand their governments do something to help.” “That’s when General Prosser will deliver his message.” He released a plume of smoke.

“A call to arms…” “A message of solidarity…” “And a message of hope…”

“General, you have your work cut out for you.” “If there are any future generations of humanity, they will be studying the words you share for ages to come…”

Prosser narrowed his eyes and rubbed his chin in contemplation. “I must go to where I can think with the most clarity gentlemen…” All eyes were now on Prosser.

“Nothing clears your head quite like rattling its’ contents around in a helmet while thrashing a machine off-road…” Prosser spun and exited the office.

Alec laughed, “I do it daily with bottled anesthetics of varying origins…”

Straker added, “I shocked the hell out of myself as a kid, experimenting with a direct current worm extraction device I invented for gardens.” “It used a hand crank generator from an old field telephone and I made contact with the circuit while cranking as fast as I could.” “I couldn’t have come up with a thought if I’d paid cash.” Alec laughed.

Paul looked at them with a smirk. “Swell, but do either of you remember the last time you got laid?” Paul shook his head and walked out of the office.

Alec still appeared to be pondering the question. “Hmmm… If this is 1993, then it must be… Hmmm….” He laughed. Straker was less amused.

“Alec, I want updates on all of the project teams.” “Impress upon them that six weeks has to be four.” “Too much is at stake.” “Kick their asses as hard as you have to in order to get the truth…” Alec nodded and stepped toward the door.

Straker’s AV link chirped, “Straker.”

Virginia’s face appeared on the desktop monitor. “Hello General, I’ve got an update for you on the efforts here.”

“I could use some good news, Virginia.” Said Straker, noting that she looked as tired as he felt.

“I actually have some of that for you.” “The satellite weapons systems and intel systems are working perfectly.” “We have the EMP weapon focused down to a four square meter impact zone.”

“The new detection and intel systems are giving us great resolution both earthward and out.” “We have had to create new formats for magnetic shielding to protect the other satellites, systems and Moon Base operations from the pulse generator.”

“The other good news with the satellites is that we’ve got them set up in a modular format that will make them quick to manufacture, service and re-arm.” “We have twenty in the shop down the hall from you being built and can double or triple that within a few weeks if we don’t run out of anything.”

“The Moon Base additions are coming along quickly as well.” “Everything is being built in modules and it goes together much faster since we don’t have to do it covertly.” “We could really use those bigger shuttles though…”

“If you see my wayward hubby wandering around looking lost and forlorn, tell him to give me a call…”

“Will do, Virginia.” Said Straker. “Thanks for the good news and give my best to the staff up there.” “Is there anything else?”

“Oh yes, tell General Prosser that the female staff here are very grateful for the change of clothes.” “The male staffers are less excited about the new wardrobe…”

Straker laughed, “I’ll tell him Virginia, and keep up the good work…”

General Prosser stood before his RAU group in his riding suit, with his helmet tucked under his arm. “My friends, today is your final exam and graduation.” “In honor of your achievements we will be taking a tour of the studio and then riding the grounds one last time together.” “Everyone load your weapons, gear up and form up behind me…”

After the customary blitzing of the various roads and paths between the buildings that once were Harlington-Straker Studios, Prosser spoke into the helmet intercom to his group. “Now begins our studio tour, so follow me and remember to speak up if you have any questions.”

Prosser powered his GS through the exit door of the studio building and up the stairway to the stage, “This is where the studio performed Hamlet and other literary classics…” He wheeled off the edge of the stage, the chassis soaking up the three foot drop heavily. The line of machines behind him followed dutifully.

At the other end of the dark space, Prosser shifted back on the pegs and opened the throttle heavily, using the front wheel to impact the crossbar that opened the door. Again his group followed, repeating the same maneuver to perfection.

They rode the wooden board sidewalks of the western set, pausing to take a ride through the saloon set and back out of the swinging door. The graceful grand staircases of the Victorian mansion and maze of shrubs were a fun departure as well.

“And we will wind up our studio tour with a visit to ancient Athens.” Prosser led them in a slalom around the many columns that made up the interior set and finally down the massive fake marble steps that made up the foreground of the set. The group kept up easily so Prosser opened up the throttle and headed for the open parking area. As the speed increased, Prosser was pleased to see the group keeping pace with him and dropping to their knee sliders when appropriate. The knobby tires were exceeding their grip for dry pavement and the machines were drifting neatly behind him.

Prosser led them off the back of the lot into the field behind. “Weapons ready, the blue drums are your enemies, so make them pay…” The machines formed a picket line, bouncing across the field, firing their automatic weapons with their left hands while maintaining speed and control with their right. Water gushed from the bullet holes in the blue drums.

“To the quarry one last time my friends.” Prosser led them down the roadway that once seemed so narrow to them at speed, all machines keeping pace and in various stages of controlled slides all the way to the bottom. Another set of blue drums waited for them there. “Fire when you have first opportunity!” he said in their earbuds. In seconds, the water gushed from the barrels. He gave them the overhead circle signal beside a trailer at the bottom of the quarry and gave them the signal to shut down and dismount.

“Congratulations my friends, you have all excelled in this endeavor.” “In order to celebrate properly, you may now remove those ugly plywood panniers from your machines and install these.” Prosser opened the door of the trailer and began handing out pristine new Kevlar pannier sets. “These are keyed to match your ignition so you can lock them in position and from prying fingers.” “You will note that your field gear and new weapons are already inside and stowed.”

Prosser concluded, “I am very proud of all of you, ladies and gentlemen.” “You will be deployed in groups very soon and I have complete confidence that you will perform with great skill and efficiency in each mission assigned you.” “Take care of each other…” “I am hopeful that we all can ride together again soon…”

Prosser shook their hands and returned a few hugs. He fired up his machine and the first SHADO RAU group saluted him as he rode back up the winding road. His mind was clear and he was feeling inspired. It was time to speak to the world.

CHAPTER 24

“You’re bloody well not going to like what I have to tell you, Ed.” Said Alec, stepping through the office door. He stepped over to the beverage dispenser in the corner and procured two fingers of bourbon.

“It must be tragic to require the hooch, Alec…”

“This is just to settle my stomach.” “The coffee here is eating a hole in my gut.”

“Out with it, Alec!” Demanded Straker.

“No new Sky units or subs will be ready in time.”

“Only four of the new Interceptors will be ready in time and there will be no additional space platforms to supplement Moon Base.”

“Two new cargo space shuttles and recovery aircraft will be ready in two weeks but we can’t get the new Interceptors to Moon Base without them.” “Same with the new ODIN satellites.”

“On the plus side, Ginny is ahead of schedule on Moon Base and the shop here is kicking out ODIN clones rapidly.”

“Eddie and Teddy came through in a big way and we have staged fleets of aircraft being re-armed and outfitted for combat duty.” “The pilots will be up to speed in plenty of time.”

“I’ve requalified on F-111’s and Foster is getting his on MiG-31’s.” “We have a crew training on the new Saab’s as well.” “Prosser will likely lead them himself.”

“Our RAU’s and combat teams are ready to deploy and we’re getting intel updates regularly from our field operatives.”

“We now have defensive capability here on site, with rotary canons behind drop-down bulwarks on top of several buildings.” “We are now a land-locked Q-ship.”

“Finally, the media is having a three ring circus with the leaked info from I.A.C. including still photos of the anomalies and the worried scientists in lab coats.” “It’s like some 50’s sci-fi film.” “The world is watching and beginning to panic that doomsday is six weeks away…”

Straker looked at Alec. “General Prosser is just waiting for the go signal from us.” “The broadcast will hijack every television and radio signal for a few hours as it repeats.” “Every telecom satellite and ground repeater will carry his message.”

“Let’s go give him the go signal, Alec.” “This is where our world begins to change…”

Straker and Freeman entered the glassed-in sound booth of the SHADO auditorium. Thorvald was there completing the settings from the sound check. Prosser was sitting on the edge of the darkened stage, one arm folded across him supporting the other which held his bowed head. He was praying.

Thorvald walked quietly down and stood beside him, waiting for him to finish. He placed an arm around the General saying, “It is nearly time, old friend.” Prosser stood and embraced him briefly. He stepped up before the podium bearing the SHADO emblem and reached into his pocket. He placed a Blue Max and an Iron Cross on the lectern.

The lights came up and he took a few deep breaths, feeling the weight of the task before him.

The AV crew was ready to broadcast and signals were exchanged.

“Brothers and Sisters of Humankind, I am General Prosser of the International Astrophysical Committee and liaison for SHADO.” “When I last addressed you at the United Nations, I told you that I would appear before you again when the threat to planet Earth was pending.” “I stand before you for that very reason today.”

“You have all seen the images from the four radio telescopes that indicate groups of large objects moving toward us from deep space.” “These are not naturally occurring space phenomena, but are alien armadas from two different star systems.”

“There is a third race of aliens, one that we have faced before with regularity on your behalf, that is also involved in this invasion.” “The two groups being monitored will be here in less than six weeks.” “The third group could be here at any time.”

“These are not benevolent extraterrestrial visitors.” “They cannot be reasoned with, pleaded with for mercy or bargained with to preserve lives.” “They are here to take our viable organs, raw materials and to enslave us.”

“Planet Earth and all of humanity are simply a business opportunity for them and our lives are of no value beyond that of a commodity.” “When the invaders have what they want they will destroy our planet.” “This has been confirmed by other extraterrestrial sources that will be observing our response to this threat with cool and dispassionate interest.” Prosser sharpened his gaze.

“Our battle for self-preservation will begin in space, transition to aerial combat and will absolutely include a ground war against alien troops.” “These battles could take place in any conceivable location on our planet.”

“I will first appeal to the governments and militaries of every nation.” “In short, we need your help.” “We cannot possibly meet this threat alone.” “Every human life, in every nation is at stake.”

Prosser’s voice rose in intensity and his countenance changed to steel. “Any failure to respond will only accelerate the demise of our species.” “We must put aside our animosities based on race, religion and politics to stand together – an impenetrable wall of defense against the genocide of humanity.” “There can be no surrender, no capitulation and no quarter given.” “We must stand together as one united force, and if necessary we will die that same way.”

“As a symbol of solidarity, I will request that each nation mark their combat aircraft, ships, vehicles and troops with painted stripes of red, symbolic of the shared blood of humanity.”

“Only one of our antagonist species have craft that appear on radar or targeting systems.” “The others have no track or emissions to lock onto for missile guidance.” “This will require old-fashioned aerial combat gunnery and dogfighting skills.” “Armor piercing projectiles and deflection shooting are the tools for success.” “You must re-learn the three dimensional art of aerial warfare.”

“You will need to provide your own stores of fuel, weapons and equipment.” “We will work tirelessly to keep communication effective among all contributors.”

“One last warning for governments and militaries; we have evidence that there are already subversive cells operating in many countries that will attempt to sabotage and derail our mission.” “These are comprised of humans working for and with the alien invaders for some unknown reason.” “They have already sold out their own planet and are capable of anything.” “Be diligent in your security and defense.”

“The last part of my message is for the civilian populations that inhabit every region of every nation on the Earth.” “This is the most frightening event that any generation has ever faced.” “You are not facing it alone…”

“You have the one luxury rarely afforded anyone prior to battle – ample warning.” “You have time to prepare and plan.” “Plan to shelter in groups – underground if possible.” “Gather food, water and medical supplies.” “Leave nothing to chance.”

“If your nation still allows private firearm ownership, use them to good effect.” “Your enemies are indeed alien, but they are not bullet proof.” “Nations that have given up their arms, whether voluntarily or by force will regret being rendered vulnerable.” Their governments will have to answer to their masses.

“Each of you must utilize your skills and resources to the fullest.” “It is you who will rebuild communities and nations in the aftermath.” “Protect, defend and care for each other, for your families, your neighbors, communities and towns.”

“While this appears to be the darkest possible time for Humanity, I swear to you this is instead our opportunity to shine our brightest!” Prosser pounded the lectern with his fist. “We will be an illuminated beacon in the night sky of other worlds and show them what it means to be Humankind!” “We will NOT go down easily as beasts to the hunter’s bow!” His steely gaze melted slowly to heartfelt warmth.

“Prepare, plan and when the time comes, act with diligence.” “Make the most of what time remains.” “Do not leave your love, your respect or your care unspoken.”

“With God’s help, Humanity will emerge from the other side of this challenge with a new sense of purpose… A renewed faith… and hope for the future.” “Thank You.”

The stage lights dimmed and the signal went into automated repeat. Brigadier General Gunther Prosser placed two aged medals in his pocket, sat down on the edge of the stage and wept for humanity.

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Re: Chane In the Air, Part III
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 3:16am
Print Post  
CHAPTER 25

“I miss you too, Thorvald.” “I’ve been out of your arms far too long.” Said Virginia.

“I’m afraid I’ve crushed your pillow beyond repair, Love.” “It smells of you and I find myself wrapped around it by morning.”

“I can’t believe I’m jealous of my pillow…” She laughed. “You can wrap yourself around me all you want when I get back.” “Unfortunately, I don’t know when that will be, dear.” “I’m so tired from spending my days in a pressure suit outside that I’ve considered wearing one of the purple wigs just so I don’t have to do my hair.”

“Me too,” said Thorvald. He missed that lovely smile of hers.

He continued, “Did you all get to see the General’s message?”

“We did, Love.” “I saw everything from high-fives to tears.” “I think it was exactly what the world needed to hear.” “It makes me worry about Mom though.” “I don’t want her to be alone through all of this…” “Do you mind if she comes and stays with us until it’s over?” “I promise it is temporary dear…”

Thorvald answered, “Under any other circumstances, I’d say this was a marital set-up from a sitcom.” Virginia laughed.

“Your delightful mother is always welcome here, Love.” “As long as you and I can get the appropriate privacy, I’d be happy to have the company while you’re away.” “Besides, I know a certain general who would be much happier knowing she was safe in SHADO bunker housing as well.” “Do you want me to go get her?”

“I will reward your gallantry enthusiastically when I return, Sir Thorvald,” she laughed. “I’ll call you again when I can, dear.” “I love you…”

“Love you too Ginny, come home to me soon.” She blew a kiss and the image faded…

Straker’s orange phone buzzed. “Straker...” “Yes Major Ealand.” “Please put him right through on the AV link.” He pressed the connect button.

“Hello Professor Leyton-Smythe, what can I do for you today?” Asked Straker.

“Something wonderful is happening but it’s causing a problem for us.” “Is General Prosser there?”

“He’s not available at the moment, but you can tell me Professor, I’ll get the word to him immediately.”

“Very well then, our phones have been ringing non-stop since his broadcast.” “Everyone wants to help SHADO.” “I’ve gotten calls from NASA, the European Space Agency, and even the Russians, volunteering the use of their orbital launch systems to get your assets into orbit.” “You have two shuttles waiting for you in Florida right now…”

“Nations are offering their air forces, naval and ground troops to repel the invasion.” “My God, it’s just overwhelming…” “We could actually experience global peace on the eve of interstellar war…” “What do you want me to tell them all, Straker?”

“Tell them all Thank You and welcome aboard, Professor!” “We will be in contact with them all very soon.” “Is there anything else, Professor?”

“What do you think our chances of success are, Mr. Straker?”

“I’d say they just improved exponentially, Professor.” “Also, keep scanning the anomalies but focus in on the 700 to 900 nanometer visible light wave band.” “We have reason to believe they will be more visible to your instruments.”

“We will do that, Mr. Straker, and please tell the General we send our regards.”

“Will do Professor, thank you for calling.” He ended the transmission, finally noticing Alec standing just inside the doorway. He was grinning with that same ‘see I told you so’ grin that meant Straker had been wrong about something, again.

Straker rolled his eyes playfully, “Yes Alec, you were, once again… right about something I didn’t believe due to my curmudgeonly streak, yada-yada-yada.”

“You forgot stubborn and pig-headed, Ed.” He laughed.

“You’ll give me diabetes with all that sweet talk, Alec!” “I for once am quite happy to be wrong about assuming that humanity will crash and burn by its own greed and ineptitude.” “I have seen the error of my ways, oh great guru…”

“Prosser’s message moved a lot of people, Ed.” “Including me.”

“Me too Alec.” They smiled at each other and Alec gave a wink.

“I’ll get started on shipping ODIN’s to Florida.” “Won’t Ginny be surprised when the mail arrives?”

“Not as surprised as the rest of the world would be to find out where she is right now.” Said Straker with a grin.

Alec stepped from the office. Ed Straker clipped and lit another Lonsdale cigar and blew a smoke ring up toward the lights. He couldn’t fathom why he had this overwhelming sense of optimism. Perhaps mankind could save itself after all…

“Mrs. Lake, I’m sorry Virginia couldn’t be here to pick you up herself.” “She’s travelling on business.”

“Thorvald dear, you can cut the crap.” “I figured out what’s going on after I saw the General on the tele twice.” “I don’t know exactly what you all do, but it has something to do with that organization that protects the earth from aliens.”

“It would be a good idea to keep that to yourself, Mrs. Lake.” Said Thorvald. “They do not appreciate exposure and the repercussions of disclosure are grave indeed.”

“I understand dear, but I hope they know that they blew their own cover in a big way…” “I worked briefly in the covert world before Virginia was born.” “It’s where I met her father, an American Army Air Force officer.”

She looked at him across the little Beetle. “Now, how did you come by all those scars Thorvald?” His face reddened and his eyes darkened.

“That same covert military world, Mrs. Lake.” “This is my second life…”

“I’m glad Ginny and I get to be part of it, dear.” She patted his arm and gave it a squeeze. “I really like your old Beetle too.” “It’s much spunkier than that one Virginia had in college.” Thorvald smiled and increased his speed. He had to get back to SHADO HQ.

“I hope you will be comfortable in the guest room, Mrs. Lake.” “This is company housing, so it is more-or-less a reinforced bunker.” “There is emergency backup electrical power and we have our own utility sources.” “You should keep your keys with you at all times, as the exterior doors lock automatically behind you.” “You will see armed security guards on the grounds as well.”

“You have your own bathroom in here and all your supplies are in the cabinets.” “Please feel free to help yourself to everything here and in the kitchen.” “You have full run of the place.” “Virginia and I keep odd hours and I’m afraid you’ll be here by yourself much of the time.” “Virginia and I will call to check in with you from time to time.”

Thorvald led her into the master bedroom. “One other thing I need you to know about is this other closet in our bedroom.” He opened the much heavier door with a key and turned on the light. It was Thorvald’s armory. There were racks of combat rifles, tactical shotguns, assorted handguns and shelves of ammunition, magazines and all of the gear from his former life. His broadsword and axe hung on the wall.

“Your key with the square head will open this if you need access.” Said Thorvald.

“Very well dear, I’ll be fine while you go back to work.” “Greet your coworkers for me…” Mrs. Lake kissed Thorvald on the cheek and playfully pushed him toward the door. She went to the kitchen to start a kettle for her tea.

CHAPTER 26

With the additional support of NASA and other global space agencies, the ODIN satellites were being launched and positioned in orbit with regularity. The ground tracking and linking stations were being installed and staffed quickly. All satellites could be operated independently and in concert to meet any threat.

There were thirty more ODIN’s to launch and the two new massive lunar shuttles were tasked with placing them systematically. The shuttle crews referred to the operation as ‘Rabbit Mode’, as the vessel would travel a fixed distance then eject the satellite from the stern like a fecal pellet.

With the last ODIN’s in geostationary orbit, the two shuttles returned to their island base for reconfiguration of their cargo bays. Their next deliveries were eagerly anticipated…

Virginia and Colonel Bradley stood on the lunar surface in their pressure suits, watching the two shuttles move slowly over the rocky ridge that formed the natural bunker behind Moon Base. They pivoted so their loading ramps would face the large hangar door and extended their massive landing pods. Both slowly descended, launching an enormous cloud of lunar dust but touching down with the grace of a preened feather.

As the loading ramps made contact with the lunar surface, two rows of technicians and pilots stood at attention in their pressure suits. Over the intercom, they heard Colonel Bradley’s steady tenor voice, “Welcome to Moon Base, I am Colonel Bradley.” “Please follow Commander Lake to your de-gown and duty stations.” The two rows stepped down the ramp of each shuttle and followed Virginia to the open hangar door.

Mark Bradley stepped up the ramp and slowly ran his thickly gloved hand along the sinuous contours of the new Interceptors secured along each wall. He let out a low whistle and patted his hand on the nacelle-mounted rail gun. His team of technicians walked up the ramp, pausing to gaze on the new, very lethal looking Interceptors. They got to their work quickly.

There were now less than three weeks until the approaching armadas would reach our solar system. By filtering the visible spectra of light to isolate the 700 to 900nM range, telescopes all around the globe were capturing images of the massive vessels approaching.

The vessels backlit by Orion’s belt were angular with large protrusions and irregular shapes to them. Those backlit by the M51 galaxy appeared to be perfectly spherical. The ominous still photos were splashed across every television screen, published print source and internet news site.

As the danger approached, populations around the world stocked and prepared their shelters. Masses of people fled the convenience of the larger cities for the perceived safety of the countryside, just as they had during wars past.

There were record numbers of marriages, divorces, and adoptions. People were choosing who they wanted near them, in life or in death. Those who used the opportunity to manipulate others or attain wealth would find themselves alone and isolated during the battle and in its aftermath. Their actions would be remembered.

Churches were packed with believers in search of divine guidance, spiritual comfort and a sense of belonging. Many stepped into those places for the first time, hoping to find answers, something to cling to and even a brief feeling of peace within.

Beyond the sales of the staples of life, there was a great surge in the sale of photographic film and processing. Nobody wanted to face their possible demise without photos of loved ones for inspiration or remembrance.

Ed Straker sat alone in his office. He was having trouble maintaining focus on the reports in front of him. His command staff was spread out around the globe. Alec, Paul and Prosser were staged with their air wings, training and waiting for the call to action.

Virginia was still at Moon Base and Thorvald was setting up the perimeter defenses for HQ. Straker hadn’t even seen Dr. Jackson in days. The regular staff outside his door were the only familiar faces in the facility. He found it somewhat comforting to be out among them. Something was going to happen soon, he could feel it like the cold chill one gets when they realize someone is watching them covertly.

Thorvald had the same kind of feeling. He knew from hard experience to pay heed to these instincts. He skipped his lunch in order to make a quick run home. He would try not to alarm his mother in law.

“Is that you, dear?” Asked Mrs. Lake.

“Yes, I came home to check on you and pick up some supplies.” Replied Thorvald.

“Something doesn’t quite feel right today, Thorvald.” Said Mrs. Lake. “It’s the same feeling I used to get during the Blitz.” “I felt it long before the sirens would start.”

“Me too, Mrs. Lake.” Said Thorvald. “Let’s get ourselves prepared a bit shall we?”

He opened the heavy security door in the master bedroom and turned on the light. “Do you have a preference, Mrs. Lake?” He asked.

She stepped in and looked around a bit, as if she were picking the perfect loaf of bread in a bakery. She stopped, smiled and pointed to a 12 gauge pump tactical shotgun. “This will do nicely, dear.” “Don’t worry, I know how to use one of these quite well.”

Thorvald slid seven shells of double-ought buckshot into the tubular magazine, racked the slide to chamber the first round and topped the tube off with one more round. He handed the shotgun to Mrs. Lake and placed a bandolier of 25 more 2-3/4 inch shells around her neck. She smiled sweetly, despite looking like a gun moll from 1920’s Chicago.

Thorvald slipped on the black tactical over clothes and harnesses that held his various weapons and equipment. He slipped the Colt 1911 into his thigh holster with several spare mags in the side pocket. A CZ-75 9mm went into the chest pack with three spare mags. A Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum revolver went into a vertical shoulder holster beneath his left arm. Three speed-loaders went into the left thigh pocket. He slung an FAL rifle over his shoulder along with two battle packs of magazines filled with 7.62 x 51mm NATO spec ammo. He picked up a long cloth roll bag and stepped out locking the vault behind him.

“Back to work dear?” Mrs. Lake asked. Thorvald smiled. “Is my Ginny safe wherever she is, Thorvald?” The question caught him off guard.

“About as safe as we are, Mrs. Lake.” She nodded in understanding.

As Thorvald went through the security gate at Headquarters, he noted that there was no activity around the outside of the perimeter of the site. No cars, no civilians, not even any birds. “Initiate yellow alert gentlemen.” He said to the guards. He placed his earbud communicator in his ear.

Something was indeed coming and they wouldn’t have to wait long…

CHAPTER 27

“General Straker, we have reports coming in from our field intel units that subversive groups are mobilizing worldwide.” Said Major Keith Ford. “We have combat troops and RAU’s positioned around several cells.” “There are others that are closer to our position here and in proximity to several military bases that we simply don’t have the manpower to deal with directly.”

“Issue the red alert to all SHADO stations and trigger the global warning network.” Said Straker. “Whatever they have planned is happening very soon.” “Tell all combat units and RAU’s to act on their own initiative.”

Thorvald took his position on the highest roof at Harlington-Straker Studios between four of the rotary cannon bulwarks. “All SHADO security staff, seal the gates and pull back to your defensive positions.”

Security operatives secured the gates and moved quickly back toward the buildings on the lot. The many decorative brick and concrete patio settings transformed into reinforced bunkers. The decorative brick fascia released to reveal the stowed Bren squad automatic rifles, cases of ammunition and racks of acoustic rifles. They were positioned to provide a crossfire zone across the grounds which could extend beyond the perimeter fences. One by one, they called in their status as ready and awaiting orders.

“This is Space Intruder Detector, Red Alert.” “There are multiple inbound targets, bearing 458-102 Green, 459-102 Green, 460-102 Green, 457-102 Green…

“What the hell is going on up there, Gay?” Demanded Straker. “How many UFO’s?”

S.I.D. continued to rattle off coordinate trajectories, finally saying “Speed, Sol 4 and decreasing.” “Inbounds continue to appear.”

Gay spoke intently, “All Interceptors, immediate launch.” “All gunnery crews to defensive batteries.” “All Mobile and ground tactical crews to defensive positions.” “All Moon Base personnel, this is a code red emergency – all personnel into pressure suits immediately!”

Straker shouted, “Major Ellis, how many UFO’s are there?”

Gay responded loudly with irritation, “I can’t answer that question, General Straker because we haven’t seen the end of the column yet!” She quickly regained her composure. “We have seen over a hundred ships so far, mostly troop ships, but with squadrons of scouts.”

Her voice became muffled momentarily as she secured her pressure helmet and switched on the intercom. “A wave of over thirty scouts has vectored away and toward this station.” “We have ten Interceptors airborne including the four new ones.” “The ODIN stations are not online yet.”

“Commander Lake, what is the hold-up on those ODIN’s?” Growled Straker.

“They were almost ready when the alert started and these gloves are less than useless on a keyboard!” She snarled back. “Now, set the links and energize the system,” she shouted to the technicians around her.

“Okay, it’s armed and responding now, so go yell into someone else’s goddamn headset and let me do my job!”

Ed Straker pulled back away from the microphone wide-eyed and pressed the mute button. He and Ford just looked at each other and exchanged a suppressed grin. “Wow.” Said Straker. “I’ve never heard her that angry before…”

“All SHADO air units are up now sir.” Said Ford. “AWAC’s report that flights have sortied from many countries.” “F.o.F. transponders are in use to keep things organized.”

“Major Ellis, we need firing coordinates.” One of the new pilots spoke.

“No you don’t.” Said Colonel Bradley in the intercom. “You have a wall of alien craft before you, just fire your weapons.” “You will hit something…”

“When missiles are depleted, you must find targets of opportunity and maneuver independently.” “You will return, refuel and rearm as needed…”

The ten Interceptors launched a barrage of missiles spread across the oncoming column. Flashes of light indicated hits. Each of the four new ships launched all six of their missiles. More flashes of light… The Interceptors formed up and opened fire with their rail guns. In a matter of minutes, the front of the column was reduced to cascades of spinning debris and scattered bits of silver and red.

The Interceptors’ weapons systems were depleted and they turned toward Moon Base just in time to see the wave of scout ships open fire on the facility. Over twenty ground and Mobile based rail guns opened fire on the formation. Plumes of oxygen enriched flame flashed over the lunar landscape and over the facility.

UFO’s had scored direct hits on one of the gun Mobiles and hit two of the rail gun blisters mounted on the rocky ridge behind the base. One of the massive transports was hit and destroyed, throwing fragments and debris hundreds of meters. The bits punctured the envelope of the command sphere and new technical section.

Large structural components of the ship landed close to the hangar entrance, effectively blocking the return of the Interceptors. A pair of blade equipped Mobiles exited the hangar and began pushing debris back from the entrance amid the flashes of fire between sky and ground. They were under fire immediately.

In the command sphere and the technical section, the staff were holding tightly onto their work stations waiting for the pressure to fully evacuate. The emergency doors had shut automatically, sealing them in. The piles of computer paper printouts Virginia had generated were now swirling in shards like flecks in a snow globe. She shouted into the mic over the noise, “I am NOT cleaning this shit up!”

As the last torrents of air escaped the jagged gaps in the walls, the technicians and command staff got back to business, glad for the precaution of the pressure suits. After a brief period of terror, the first wave of UFO’s to attack Moon Base lie scattered in fresh craters on the surface. Crews scrambled to re-arm, refuel and repair damage from the first wave. More would surely be coming. Two in fact…

Outside of headquarters, groups of people began to approach the gates from the fields across the road. They were clearly armed. A similar scene was playing out at military installations all around the globe.

Thorvald heard Dr. Jackson’s voice in his earpiece. “Thorvald, do you have operatives outside the perimeter?”

“Yes Yannick, I have several in the tree line and scattered throughout the area where the masses are walking right now.”

“I need two random individuals from among the group so I can determine if they are acting out of programming or of their free will.”

“I’ll send the message.” “You should have them momentarily…”

From the rear of the group, a young man and woman both disappeared silently. They were bound and gagged and hauled quickly back through the perimeter without the massive group seeing a thing.

From the front of the group, something flew, streaking forward across the road. The guard shack erupted in a fireball, launching fragments of glass, wood and roofing shingles. Shots began to hit the studio buildings. More rockets impacted the parking lot and courtyard. Cars were flipped and burning.

Thorvald could see Dr. Jackson from his rooftop vantage point. He had switched off his earpiece and was questioning the two prisoners. They both snarled back, shouting and kicking with their bound legs. Jackson crossed himself, drew his H&K P7-M8 and put a 9mm hollow-point through each of their foreheads. He switched the com back on and simply said. “This is being done willingly for personal gain.”

“May God forgive us all, Yannick,” Said Thorvald. Tears rolled unrestrained down his face. He pulled back the bolt handle and let it snap forward, chambering the first of thirty rounds.” He said, “All units, fire at will…”

The ODIN satellites powered up their rail guns and targeting systems for the clusters of missiles they carried. While the Interceptors refueled and rearmed, a group of over fifty troop and scout ships made it past the frontier before the satellites fired. The remaining ships behind them fell prey to the wrath of ODIN.

Fighters and interceptors from over thirty nations were waiting for them beneath the cover of the clouds. Troop ships split off into groups of three to five with scout escorts. They vectored off for various parts of the globe, with combat aircraft closing on them from different directions.

Prosser and Freeman both managed to down several UFO’s. Paul Foster got his first taste of air combat. He began to understand the delicate balance of terror and exhilaration that came with being under fire at high altitude and speed. He was comfortable behind the stick, but nobody had ever tried to kill him while he had been flying before.

His MiG-31 was plenty fast and agile, but he was having trouble getting his canons on target. While Alec led his squadron of F-111’s off toward another pod of UFO’s, General Prosser hung back with Paul to institute his favorite training method – follow the leader.

After several passes getting Paul accustomed to much harder turn-ins and transitions, Prosser pulled in front and let Paul pursue him. “Much better, Commander Foster.” “Do remember your guns are loaded…” “You can push your ship much harder than that.” “It is not as fragile as you imagine.” They completed aerial refueling and formed up.

“SHADO control, do you have any more inbounds for us?” Asked Prosser. The AWAC’s responded with course and altitude for intercept. “Okay Paul, let’s go hunting.”

The General’s Saab and Paul’s MiG hurtled off into the darkening sky with afterburners lit. Paul would taste his first aerial victories in the night sky over the Atlantic Ocean. He gained a much greater respect for his pilot coworkers.

Two hours later, Ed Straker was sucking down another cold coffee when his orange phone rang in the office. “What is it, Major Ealand?”

“A General Harris from NORAD Sir, on the secure line.” “Connecting now…”

“This is SHADO Command, General Harris, what can I do for you?”

“Well Mr. Shadow, I have one serious question for you.” “Are you sure these aliens are really supposed to be more intelligent than us?”

“They travelled here from a different star system General and use advanced technologies.” “Why do you ask?”

“Because they are choosing landing and attack sites like idiots throwing darts at a map.” “Four of those ships that look like a giant hoagie bun landed in the Sandhills of North Carolina, less than twenty miles from Ft. Bragg and Pope AFB. There was a flight of C-130 Spectre gunships there within fifteen minutes. There was nothing left for the Rangers to do but torch it.”

“A group of four of them came down near Kingsport, Tennessee in the mountains.” “There’s not a person in that part of the country that isn’t well armed and used to running wooded mountain paths at night.” “There were piles of red and silver clad bodies all over the woods.”

“By the time local authorities got there they were met by a group of commando types on dirt bikes who said they took care of everything.” “’Bout that time there was a big blast at the site.”

“General, those are some of our operatives.” “I had no idea they’d made it that far already.”

“Another group of ships tried to hide in a large cloud formation south of Ft. Dodge, Iowa.” “It was a supercell thunderstorm that had dropped funnels all over three counties and they flew right into it.” “They got pancaked by winds of over 250 knots into a cornfield near a state park.”

“They also came down in California, North Dakota and Nevada too.” “In each case there was a military base with combat troops or aircraft within thirty minutes response time.”

“Advanced maybe, but these aliens are a bunch of morons…”

Straker’s anger swelled. “Whatever you might think of them General, we’ve fought those morons for over thirteen years and they have murdered well over a thousand innocent victims and harvested their internal organs.” “Those morons have made countless hundreds of widows and orphans around the world while you did absolutely nothing.”

“What you perceive as stupidity is simply a race so callous that it doesn’t value us enough to bother to study our society, structure or history.” “You are only under-estimating them, just as they have done to us.” He now had an acidic note to his rising voice. “Many human lives were lost today, General…”

“The two species of aliens approaching Earth right now make this first wave look like a scout troop by comparison!” “Make no mistake about that, General.” “SHADO OUT!” Straker’s fist closed the link leaving Harris in his Cheyenne Mountain base listening to a dial tone. “Goddamn arrogant prick!” “You’ll see soon enough…”

Harris would indeed see. His command ended the next morning. His failure to take the threat seriously enough resulted in the loss of critical air defense bases due to both UFO attack and subversive cell action. He was relieved of his command and detained for review by a military court.

His replacement would make no such mistakes. She was an experienced command Colonel who had proven her combat mettle in Operation Desert Storm. Her promotion to General would be precedent setting and a fulfillment of family honor.

Her mother had been a Marine Corps field nurse in Viet Nam. Her late father had been career Air Force and his older brother had just recently retired as a general in the I.A.C. and U.N.S.C. Devotion to duty was their family hallmark…

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Re: Chane In the Air, Part III
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 3:20am
Print Post  
CHAPTER 28

In the aftermath of the first wave, SHADO intelligence operatives scrambled to assess damage and look for alien presence that might have been missed in the hours since the initial attack.

Civilian and military air transportation centers had been hit hard, including the Harlington Regional Airport where the SHADAIR base was located. An SST and two VTOL rotorcraft had been reduced to smoldering wreckage on the apron outside the company hangar.

Troopships and scouts had slipped into unnoticed locations around the globe and the aliens were attempting to herd humans into their stasis pods for later processing. Their success in surprise attacks on individuals didn’t translate into success marching into remote villages.

Alien intruders fell to the skilled hands of people wielding spears, bows and the machete. A group of injured aliens were horrified that the warriors of the African tribe that captured them would eviscerating them so as to free their spirit from bodily captivity in death. They did so as a courteous tribute to their fallen foes. An ironic expression of dignity those foes had never extended to any of their victims.

Satellites, divers and militaries of the world were searching rivers, lakes and seas looking for UFO’s that might have sought the cover of water. There were reports that small groups of alien troops were hitting targets connected with SHADO installations worldwide.

The alert level had been decreased to yellow after a six hour lull in attacks. Thorvald had descended to the ground level. The security staff had rushed offsite a couple hours ago to address some situation. One of the remaining guards informed him there had been trouble at one of the SHADO housing units.

Thorvald looked to the parking lot. His Beetle was blocked in by debris and wrecked vehicles. “I need to borrow your truck right now, Sargent.”

Thorvald didn’t wait for the answer. He powered the Pinzgauer over the wreckage of the guard shack and through the remnants of the outer gate. He stood on the throttle and a plume of dark smoke poured from the exhaust stack.

He drove up on the grass in front of his home. There were three SHADO six-wheeled utility vehicles out front. He vaulted past the security officers and through the doorway.

Mrs. Lake sat on the sofa sipping tea from a hand-painted china cup, her hair a bit disheveled. The shotgun leaned against the sofa, its muzzle blackened from repeated fire. Thorvald sat on the coffee table, misty-eyed with relief to find Mrs. Lake intact.

“I see you’ve had a busy day.” He said. Two security officers were dragging a lifeless body in a red suit toward the door. It had blackened holes where what had been flesh was now a gap surrounded by shredded red fabric. The faceplate of the helmet was absent as was most of the face behind it.

“I was getting a snack when I heard shouting and gunfire.” “Before I knew it, three of these red-suited chaps were kicking in the patio door.” “I fired first and hit all three of them but they started reaching for those silver guns again so I had to put one through each of their helmets up close.” “I rather lost my composure at that point and had to reload twice…” “What the hell are these creatures, Thorvald?”

“These are the extraterrestrial monsters that murdered my family, Mrs. Lake.”

“Then they had it coming and then some, dear.” Thorvald brushed her hair back up into position and kissed her cheek.

“I couldn’t have done better myself,” He said.

The security operative stepped up. “I’m sorry to interrupt, Mr. Magnusson, but the sanitization crew will have this squared away and a new door installed within a couple of hours.” “How much of a ‘dose’ should we give the nice lady?”

“None, or you will answer to Commander Lake, General Prosser and the command staff.” “The nice lady is her mother…”

“She WHAT Thorvald?” Exclaimed Virginia, still muffled by her pressure suit helmet.

“I said she single handedly dispatched three alien soldiers at the house!” He shouted. Realizing she would want more info than that, he added, “With the shotgun I gave her before I left for work.” He waited, unsure of what was coming.

“Thanks for taking care of my mom, Love.” She said, sounding very far away. “I miss you both so badly…” He could hear her sniffling. “I can’t even wipe my nose in this goddamn pressure suit!” She shouted, then began to laugh…

“We’re supposed to have pressure restored and full access within another two hours.” “I am seriously regretting that second cup of coffee.” She was trying to carry some humor forward to cope with a very bad day at Moon Base. Six of her friends and coworkers were now sealed in long plastic bags in the storage area.

“I’ll be home as soon as I can get there, Love.” “I need your arms around me and a very, very long, hot shower.” She said. “I love you, Thorvald.”

“All my love, Ginny.” He said as the link dissolved into static again.

There were only two weeks left to find any lingering threat from the first wave and to prepare fully for the arrival of the two armadas. Much had to be done in spite of the losses to life, infrastructure and equipment.

They would need every minute of it…

CHAPTER 29

Virginia Lake stood beside her longtime friend Gay Ellis, watching from the viewport as the engineering groups worked outside on the lunar surface. The small lunar shuttle and the remaining giant one were in continual use, re-arming and re-fueling the ODIN satellites and bringing in construction materials and equipment.

Moon Base was now much more of a lunar fortress. New dual rail gun units were brought in to replace and supplement the existing defensive blisters. Demolition and construction teams were crushing lunar rock into useable size and forming berms of natural material across the approaches to the base. There were now two rows of mounded rock protecting the relatively fragile spheres.

An opening in the rows allowed lunar vehicles and the various flying stock to gain access to the hangars but was bermed on each side to prevent collateral damage should another craft be destroyed in close proximity to the base. Pre-formed reinforced concrete wall sections were placed strategically to protect the vulnerable modules behind them.

Her tasks now completed, Virginia waited for her ride back to Earth. Since the large shuttle was configured for cargo, it would mean another several hours in her pressure suit, strapped into a jump seat along the wall. She could nap if she could relax enough. There would be no extra coffee prior to this session…

She pondered how long it would take to get home from the island base in the Southern Atlantic… She wasn’t even sure where it was located.

Ed Straker stood beside Dr. Jackson on the roof of the administration building looking down over the view of carnage that reached from the parking area all the way across the road and into the field beyond. Sanitization workers in biohazard suits were loading the bodies of subversive insurgents into the buckets of large wheel loaders and dumping them into trucks for incineration and a mass grave.

“Will you perform any religious services for the dead insurgents?” Asked Straker.

“There can be no absolution for them, General.” Said Jackson. “I will pray for their families and that God may be merciful, but they must arrange for their own forgiveness.” “They won’t find it in this world…”

With cool detachment, Jackson continued. “We are living the role of Elijah and they are the prophets of Baal…” “Defeat is not sufficient.” “It must be followed by eradication.” “We are not just fighting for our species, General, this is a battle against forces of evil.” “Our very souls are at stake; lest we lose our humanity and attain evil ourselves…”

Virginia was thrilled to feel the full pull of gravity again. She had been gone long enough to have no clean clothing left. The staff at the island base gave her a clean flight suit with the SHADO logo. She met General Prosser, Alec and Paul in the mess hall and gratefully downed the first good coffee she’d had in weeks. The soup and sandwich tasted fresh and were still piping hot. She was relaxing, finally…

“How does one go about getting back to England from here?” she asked.

Alec looked at the clipboard beside him and shook his head. “A SkyDiver sub will be heading back next week for resupply at Scarborough.” “I’m sure they can rig you a bunk for the trip.” Her pleasant expression turned to one of irritation.

“Virginia, I am flying back to Harlington tonight.” “It’s a two-seater and I’d appreciate the company.” Said General Prosser. “It will be several hours in the cockpit with at least one refueling stop.”

“I know from your files that you are flight rated on multi-engine jet and propeller craft.” “You can work toward your tactical fighter certification on the way…”

Virginia smiled broadly. “When do we leave, General?” Her grey eyes were sparkling now and her demeanor had perked up considerably. She’d be home by morning…

A bit after 4 am Virginia arrived home, slipped out of her flight suit and under the covers beside her husband. He found her quickly and pulled her tightly up against him with his arms wrapped around her. Her silken skin and soft lips melted away the anxiety he’d carried since she left. There would be no nightmares tonight.

She woke a few hours later to find her husband gone already. She joined her mother for tea and breakfast and they caught up on each other’s lives. Dead aliens in the living room pretty much blew the lid of secrecy off of the barrier between them. The stains in the carpet made that point clearly.

Her mother was delighted to find her daughter had been on the Moon for the last couple weeks. She was equally delighted that General Prosser wanted to call on her while he was back. “I’m too old for romance, Ginny.” She said half-heartedly.

“Don’t you dare say that, Mom,” retorted Ginny playfully. “I’m counting on passionate romance and earth-shattering orgasms until I’m too old to remember my own name…” They both laughed long and hard.

Virginia showered, dressed and drove to work. She passed scenes of scorched earth and levelled buildings. She had no idea how hard the Earth had been hit while on the Moon. She had only seen the wreckage at the regional airport. She had to stop at the concrete barriers that now stood where the guard shack had once been. Full security protocols were still in place.

The ground was blacked and engineers were installing new perimeter fencing, this time with coils of razor wire along the top. A pile of burned and twisted cars had been pushed to the corner of the parking area awaiting removal. The asphalt had irregularly-shaped dark stains scattered everywhere. The pools of blood had dried, awaiting a heavy enough rain or intervention by pressure washers to remove them.

Virginia looked at the dried blood pools and her heart broke. She knew her husband would have been in the middle of it. She found him reinforcing a bunker position with sand bags and wrapped her arms around him teary eyed.

“I’m so sorry, Thorvald…” “I had no idea it was this bad here.” She saw the great sadness in his eyes. He kissed her forehead and pressed his cheek to her head.

“I’m afraid this is only the beginning, Love.” He said.

Virginia felt a renewed sense of purpose. She went to the newly added underground satellite control center and went to work creating a duplicate of the ODIN site on the Moon. It would be a redundant control center that could take over if Moon Base satellite control failed for any reason.

General Ed Straker had lit his first Lonsdale cigar of the day. His orange phone buzzed.

“Yes, Major Ealand.”

“I have NORAD Command on the secure AV link General.” She said.

“How the hell did they get access to that?” He growled.

“They linked into the system at I.A.C. Sir.”

“Put it through, Major.” Said Straker, his anger building that Harris would have the audacity to bypass SHADO security measures.

The image cleared on the desktop monitor. It was a woman. A very attractive woman in BDU’s with a gleaming star on each lapel. She had auburn hair and deep brown eyes with delicate cheekbones and perfectly almond-shaped face.

“General Straker, I am General Henderson at NORAD.” She said.

“Did you say Henderson, General?” She smiled.

“My uncle James sends his best, General Straker.” “To quote him directly; “The lid is off the chamber pot now, so you might as well dial direct.” She said and smiled again. Her voice was clear, pleasant and confident.

Straker was quite taken with the lovely woman before him. She was looking at a much larger monitor and was similarly captivated by the man she was looking at in life size. Her Aunt Evelyn was right, he did look like a white haired Roman statue, with piercing blue eyes.

“Not that I have any actual concern, but what happened to General Harris?” He asked.

She spoke with a courtly, command voice. “Private Harris is now living in a ten-by-ten cell and dining on rations left over from Korea.” “If he survives the military court proceedings, he may find a new civilian career in the janitorial sciences.”

Straker couldn’t hold back the belly laugh. “Absolutely marvelous!” He roared.

Her smile faded quickly. “I’m afraid I am calling for a less than amusing reason General Straker.” “The two approaching armadas have accelerated.” “We have a little over three days until they arrive.” “It is confirmed by I.A.C. astronomers.”

Ed Straker felt an uncontrollable cold shiver and his legs felt weak. “Thank you for the warning, General Henderson.” He said, struggling to maintain a clear voice.

“Under the circumstances, please call me Rebecca.” She added, “I remember you attended my graduation from the Academy with my Uncle James, back when you were both in Air Force Intelligence.”

“You are every bit as lovely as I remember you, Rebecca.” “I am glad to say you look nothing like your uncle.” She smiled. “Please call me Ed…” He added.

“I’ll notify all U.S. and NATO Commands, Ed.” “They’ll spread the word from there.” She added. “I hope you and I can meet soon under more social circumstances.” She smiled again, looking remarkably feminine despite the BDU’s and no make-up.

“I’d like that very much, Rebecca.” He said. “We’ll notify all SHADO installations and get the word to the civilian populace as well.”

“Seeing you again has been the only highlight to a very long day, Ed.” She smiled and said, “NORAD Command, Out.” The link terminated leaving Ed Straker with a very mixed bag of emotions…

“Ford, get on the horn to all SHADO sites and personnel.” “Notify them that the arrival date has been bumped up to three days or less.”

Ford’s eyes widened and he felt that churning in his stomach again. Straker added, “Then find General Prosser and tell him he needs to talk to the world again and soon.”

“Yes Sir.” Said Ford. Straker stepped back into his office and closed the door. Ford took a deep breath and keyed the communications console.

Prosser delivered another message to the masses. Again, it was a warning, a call to arms, a message of solidarity and a message of hope. He did not want to be alone after it was finished.

Virginia arrived home after dark. There was a dark blue Beetle in the drive and beside it a very large blue and white motorcycle on the center-stand. Thorvald met her at the door. “Your mother is being visited by General Prosser.” “He is flying back to his base in the morning.” “Based on the chemistry I am seeing, I don’t think he’ll be leaving this evening.”

Virginia flustered a bit. “But what if they’re not ready for that kind of relationship, Thorvald?” She was worried as a mother might be for her daughter.

“Love, what if tonight is the only time they have together…” Virginia’s eyes filled with tears. She smiled sweetly. “They deserve some privacy.” He added.

“So what’s the plan, my hopeless romantic?” She asked with a sly smile.

“A picnic under the stars on a soft blanket…” “We have food, wine and each other.”

The blue Beetle rolled along the countryside for nearly an hour, stopping beside a field of young green clover. The smell was sweet and fragrant. Thorvald and Virginia walked hand-in-hand to the center of the field and spread out their blanket.

The brilliant pin-points of light, deep blues of nebular clouds and silvery shadows of dust comprising the bands of our galaxy were prominently displayed. There was no nearby Earthly light to obscure them. It was absolutely beautiful and they gazed up while in loving embrace.

The night sky was deceptively peaceful and formed a beautiful canopy over the improvised marital bed. They made love, taking great care to savor every moment together. There could be no more moments wasted or without purpose.

At the same time, Mrs. Lake led the man who adored her by his hand to her bed, the passions of youth far from extinguished, despite the march of time. With the years, came a focus on tenderness that culminated in a peaceful sleep, lovingly wrapped together as if they had been formed for that very purpose.

Thorvald and Virginia arrived home again well after midnight. A blue and white motorcycle still sat where it had, now covered with dripping condensate from the fallen dew.

Morning found the machine gone and Ginny and her mother awaiting breakfast from Thorvald in the kitchen. Much went unsaid, but Ginny held her mothers’ hand while she wiped tears away over a forced smile. “I’m just worried about him dear.”

“Mom, I spent over six hours in the cockpit with him getting advanced aerial combat training.” Said Ginny. “I feel a twinge of pity for the alien pilot who is foolish enough to come within range of his guns…” Her mother smiled her first genuine smile since he’d left. Thorvald placed the breakfast plates on the table.

Two more days passed, with a flurry of preparation in every nation and in every community on Earth. Individuals who were not intending to be part of the fight went to their shelters, staffed the medical facilities set up to triage the wounded, and waited near their fire and rescue vehicles. Humanity was as ready as it was going to be.

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Re: Change In the Air, Part III
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 3:34am
Print Post  
CHAPTER 30

The formation of huge spheres and angular, blocky vessels were now stationary in different parts of the sky, visible both day and night to the unaided eye. Planet Earth was at Red Alert status. Every nation that would participate had combat aircraft in the sky and ground troops massed and ready to deploy at a moment’s notice.

Ed Straker was talking to Alec, Paul and Prosser on the radio link. He was worried about them all and feeling rather useless that he hadn’t had any stick time in nearly twenty years. “I want you all to come home safely, my friends,” He told them.

Alec replied, “Ed, you should see what I’m seeing…” “There is literally a complete net of combat aircraft, AWAC’s and tankers stretching around the globe.” “All of them have red stripes painted on them.” “My God this is a beautiful sight…”

Colonels Carlin, Waterman and the other SkyDivers were at action stations awaiting the call to move and launch.

Colonel Bradley and his ten Interceptors sat on the launch pad, fully fueled and armed waiting for the launch signal. Moon Base defenses were fully deployed among the facility and behind the berms on the lunar surface. They waited with weapons ready. All internal base personnel were already in their pressure suits.

Virginia and Gay were able to switch ODIN control back and forth between Moon Base and HQ at will while maintaining fire control and targeting signal feed.

“Ford, can you connect me with all SHADO units at once?” Asked Straker.

“Absolutely sir, ready on my mark…” He motioned to Straker to go ahead.

“All SHADO personnel, this is Straker.” “We are facing the biggest threat our world has ever experienced.” “SHADO was created specifically with this ultimate battle in mind.” “You were all specially recruited, trained and deployed as the best hope our world would have to meet such a challenge.” “You are the best, brightest and bravest humanity has to offer.” “Today we stand, not alone as in the past, but side by side with every nation on Earth, to defend it at all cost.” “I have complete confidence in you all.” “Stay focused and take care of each other.” “God willing, we will prevail and humanity may continue to remain united.” “Straker out…” 

Ford looked up at him and smiled. He turned off the com microphone. Straker put a hand on Ford’s shoulder and squeezed it. “This is what it was always about, Keith…”

In near Earth orbit things were starting to happen. The large angular alien ships appeared to be covered with scales. There were much larger elliptical shapes interspersed among them. They all began to move…

In another part of the sky, the enormous spheres began to exude orbs, both small and large, from all over their surface. They streamed like water droplets from a garden hose.

“Moon Base to all SHADO installations, Red Alert, incoming vessels, all vectors.” It was Gay Ellis. “Immediate launch, all defenses open fire when in range…”

Each of the scales separated into two crescent shaped fighter craft which formed into squadrons of eight. Behind each was a much larger vessel with a flattened elliptical shape. Each one carried a compliment of ground troops. It only took minutes for each armada to launch its fighters and troop ships, leaving the large parent vessels behind.

The frontier of ODIN satellites was the first to fire, but only with rail guns. They still had nothing to lock onto with missile guidance systems.

“All Interceptors, hit what you can with missiles but save your rail guns as long as you can in case we have to defend Moon Base.” Said Colonel Bradley. The Mark I’s formed up in two groups of three and the Mark II’s in groups of two. “Good hunting everyone,” He added.

The ODIN rail guns were culling individual ships from the mass of crescent fighters and orbs but at their rate of fire, their ammunition would be depleted quickly. Virginia downloaded a command to all satellites to switch from full automatic fire to three round bursts in an effort to slow the rate of depletion. It had worked perfectly with no loss in the numbers of hits.

Orbs and crescent fighters began to fire back, the ODIN’s being hit were exploding as the onboard missiles detonated in place. It was causing damage to the adjacent satellites.

“Interceptors, open fire!” Shouted Colonel Bradley. “Mix it up with them so they can’t fire without hitting their own ships.” The Interceptors darted in three dimensions as they had practiced. It was very different than the days of formation firing at distant targets.

Missiles depleted, they began to fire their dual rail guns using the heads-up gunnery sights installed in each. They were destroying orbs and crescent fighters but it wasn’t stemming the flow of them still streaming in from the parent ships.

Eventually two Mark I’s were hit and destroyed. One Mark II was crippled but its crew safety capsule had ejected as designed and was on a slow approach to the lunar surface under internal guidance. Its’ crew of two helpless to defend themselves among the melee of fighters.

“All Interceptors, pull back to defend Moon Base, immediately.” Called Colonel Bradley. He knew they were all low on fuel and ammunition. They would have to refuel and re-arm under fire while Moon Base defenses fired around and above them at incoming fighters.

Virginia was busy trying to figure out how to launch the ODIN weapons against the parent ships. They might be failing to stop the fighters but they may be able to ruin their ride home. She poured over the specifications for the variety of missiles on each…

“Bingo!” she cried. “Gay, this is Virginia.” “Do you have any targeting or range finding lasers on Moon Base?”

“We have several that the engineers use for precision measurement of distance and height.” “Can they help us?” Virginia could hear the sound of the rail gun emplacements firing, even through Gay’s pressure helmet.

“Get them all out on the lunar surface and point them at one of those big pointy looking ships.” “Tell them to try to paint one big spot on it.” “I’m going to try something…”

Crescent fighters and small orbs were dropping through the cloud layers and began firing on the aircraft waiting for them. While the smaller craft engaged the defenses of Planet Earth, the large elliptical troop carriers and larger orbs pushed past them heading for ground targets. The large orbs vectored off toward large bodies of water protected by clouds of the smaller orbs.

The clouds over much of the world were being continually illuminated by the flashes of advanced weapons, tracer streams and the brilliant plumes that signified the demise of both terrestrial and alien craft.

Paul and his flight of MiG’s was faring well against the small orbs. While they were much faster and able to change direction without slowing, they seemed to follow a general flight path to which they would return within seconds of vectoring away.

The flight Paul led and the international squadrons that had joined them had found success making angular slashing cuts through the formations from alternating directions. The large orbs, however wouldn’t fall no matter how many depleted uranium projectiles they fired into them. Another technology was at play here.

Alec was leading his F-111’s in a high speed run to plug a gap where dozens of crescent fighters had found easy entry. His canons had a little more than half of their rounds left. As he led them with wings folded back near Mach 2, a flight of two more 111’s appeared beneath him. He looked down on them and shook his head.

“Who the bloody hell is fielding two pink 111’s?” he called out over the radio.

“Is that you, Freeman?” “You ‘roo-porkin’ Aussie sumbitch!” the voice yelled back.

“Bates!” “Bloody marvelous to have you along.” “Now what in hell happened to your ships?”

“Teddy and me had a couple cream puff ships that came in after your big purchase, so we made some modifications.” “We had ‘em in an old SAC underground bunker when them flying trashcan lids came in and hit both Mohave and my Tucson yard.” “They roasted hundreds of acres of vintage aircraft and blew our shops to hell.” “Dammit man, we live there ‘ya know?” “They not only took out all my LP’s, beer and tools, but they roasted all thirty of Rico’s primo Panama Red plants.”

“Aren’t you boys a little old for living out ‘Reefer Madness?’” Asked Alec.

“Its 50 miles of bad gravel to the nearest bar and there ain’t no damn women.” Growled Eddie Bates.

“Rico is right sidin’ for me here, bud.” He added. “Cousin Edgar is right sidin’ for Teddy.” “You remember them boys don’cha Alec?”

“I remember bailing all your asses out of countless bar fights in Bangkok.” “You were the smallest guys in all of Southeast Asia and you never failed to pick a fight with the biggest guys in the bar.” “Hell, even Straker is bigger than any of you!”

Eddie Bates laughed hard. “Rico just flipped you off, bud!” “Oh, and the paint is what happens when you’ve got less than a half-gallon of red and white paint and two ships to mark.”

“We got us some surprises here too, bud.” “Roll it over there, Teddy...” The 111 to starboard gracefully inverted, revealing four rotary canon pods on its wing pylons.” “We got auxiliary tanks in the bomb bays that get us well over three thousand nautical and we added something else just for fun.”

“I’m all ears, Bates.” Alec said.

“You remember when we put water injectors on that F4 back in the day?” “Gave us almost 400 knots additional speed.” “We rigged ‘em on these ships too, but we figured out how to control them so the pressure waves don’t bust anything up.”

“We’re glad to have you with us.” Said Alec. “We’ve got to plug a hole in the sky about 400 nautical miles downrange on course one-zero-five degrees.”

“Consider it plugged, buddy.” Said Bates. The two pink splattered F-111’s hit full afterburners and triggered the water injectors. The shock wave they created pulling away made the rest of the flight shudder through their control sticks. They hurtled off at what Alec could only guess was approaching Mach 3…   

“That’s my boys…” Said Alec to his weapon’s officer in the seat to his right. “The Bates brothers may be aging juvenile delinquents, but they are also the most innovative aircraft mechanics and aerial gunfighters I’ve ever known…”

“Virginia, we have the lasers positioned on the forward bunker and they’re painting a sizeable red dot on the lead ship of the column.” Said Gay.

“Hope this works…” Said Virginia. She rebooted the missile guidance systems and brought those capable up in laser guidance mode. The group of five ODIN’s began processing available target data and found the laser dot on the lead ship.

“Holy shit, I’ve got target lock!” Shouted Virginia. “Firing missiles now!”

Five ODIN satellites launched a barrage of six missiles each. They were more than double the size of their predecessors used on combat aircraft. The missiles streaked away toward their target at great speed. Even if their fuel was expended, their inertia would carry them to the target which remained strongly locked.

“My God Virginia, you just blew that huge ship to bits!” Said Gay with excitement. “I’ll tell you when they get the next ship painted…”

After two more of the angular alien vessels had been obliterated, the four remaining began to move off.

“Okay Gay, let’s try it on those big round ones.” Said Virginia. Following the same procedure, they fired three ODIN missile barrages. Each one impacted on the membranous surface but did no damage.

“I’ve got only one more card to play, Gay.” “I’m going to try the EMP weapon, then paint and fire.” “It may interfere with communications a bit.”

Virginia moved a single ODIN that had fired its missiles until the optical camera had the massive orb centered in its lens. That was also the secondary targeting sight for the EMP weapon. She fired the burst of EMP energy. The orb immediately began glowing luminescent pink.

“Firing missiles now!” She said. Again, five ODIN’s launched six missiles while she maintained the EMP beam. They streaked toward and found their laser painted target.

The brilliant flash was followed by a region of empty space where a ship had been. They followed the same procedure for two more of the massive orbs. Again, the remaining vessels moved off.

Virginia was very excited to report the success to General Straker.

“You mean you destroyed six of the parent ships and the rest moved off?” He asked, dumbfounded. “Brilliant Virginia!” “I’m calling I.A.C. to see if they can track the ships that left.” “I want to know if they just moved out of range or if they are leaving.” “You just changed the game entirely, Virginia, well done!”

Straker put on a radio headset and mic and headed for the roof.

Outside of SHADO Headquarters, Thorvald’s security troops were again repelling a mass of armed insurgents. This time they were attacking at several points along the perimeter, not just at the main entrance. This time it was also different because there were alien soldiers bringing up the rear of the formations.

Thorvald looked through his binoculars. The creatures were all easily nearly eight feet tall in what appeared to be armor similar to chain and plate type. They had helmets that were clear in all directions and he could just make out faces in the green liquid of the helmet. They appeared to be reptilian…

“I want two canons on each rooftop to stop firing against the fighters and direct fire toward the insurgent groups.” Said Thorvald. “Target the vehicles they are moving to the front.” “They may be trying to breach the perimeter with them.”

The canons fired on the approaching vehicles, two cars and three trucks intended to force a gap in the perimeter and deploy insurgent troops. In each case the vehicles erupted into a fireball and cartwheeled in place sending scores of insurgents fleeing the flames and fragments.

Straker appeared beside Thorvald. “What have you got up here, Thorvald?”

Thorvald handed him the binoculars and pointed to the rear of the mass toward the alien soldiers. “Good Lord, what are those?” Asked Straker.

Thorvald didn’t look at him. He just lifted the sights on his FAL and fired a burst into the group nearing the fence. They returned fired throughout the crowd and bullets hit the buildings all around them. “No idea what they are, but they are not pretty…”

He fired another burst, his rifle bolt held back by the follower of the empty magazine. He stripped it out and replaced it with another thirty rounds. He snapped the bolt back and released it, chambering the first round.

“What are you doing up here, Sir?” asked Thorvald with some irritation. Thorvald’s eyes were reddened, dark and cold looking.

“I’m the only one here not doing anything useful!” Straker shouted. Thorvald handed him the FAL and reached for his long roll bag. He removed a very old looking bolt-action rifle and began setting up rows of five round stripper clips on the ground in front of him. Straker looked at him quizzically.

“A model 96 Swedish Mauser infantry rifle.” Said Thorvald. “This one is dated 1908.” “It shoots a 6.5 x 55mm round that is ballistic perfection.” “This is the sniper version with a fixed power intermediate eye relief scope.” “Now let’s see what little monsters are made of…”

He stripped five rounds into the internal magazine and closed the bolt. It made a sound on closing like a cleaver cutting neatly through a meat covered thigh bone. It was clearly a purpose-built and hand-fitted weapon, thought Straker.

Thorvald looked for evidence of wind velocity and adjusted for drift and distance to the back of the formation. He targeted the first alien soldier on the left and fired.

The old rifle bucked straight back in recoil. A couple seconds later, the first alien solder on the left side was met by an Earthly bullet. It made an entry wound like an ice pick, squirting a plume of green liquid forward from the holed helmet. The creature’s head snapped backward and it fell heavily, arms outstretched in a pose of startled terror. The soldiers beside it paused and raised their weapons, firing bolts of what appeared to be plasma energy. They impacted the structures of the building with great fury sending waves of heat radiating from where they hit.

“For God’s sake, fire!” Shouted Thorvald. Ed Straker shouldered the FAL and pulled back on the trigger. The muzzle climbed upward rapidly under automatic fire.

Thorvald reached over and moved the selector to semi-auto fire. Straker began to hit his targets immediately. Thorvald continued to drop the alien soldiers in the back of the formation. Their voluntary human shield would not protect them any longer.

The same scenario was playing out at military bases around the globe. The reptilian ground forces targeted military installations in order to destabilize the human population and its protectors. Defenseless slaves were more easily manipulated.

Tactical fighters and interceptors from all over the globe were having great success against the small orbs. The crescent fighters, however were forcing human pilots to prove their mettle profoundly.

Those that had taken Prosser’s advice about re-learning the three dimensional art of aerial warfare were emerging victorious. Many were not, and brave pilots were leaving our world for the next in a brilliant flash of light, some far from their homelands.

Alien troopships were finding themselves under fire from ground attack helicopters and aircraft. American A-10’s had rediscovered the tactic of the drop shot, allowing the alien craft to overfly them at speed then rise up and open fire with their 30mm canons.

Armored combat vehicles were laying in suppression fire to keep the alien ground forces contained until heavier ordnance could be delivered on target. Great effort was made to prevent the alien forces from linking up with reinforcements.

The large orbs were forming up in groups of three. They were all over open water, oceans, lakes and reservoirs. They began to drop down, making contact with the surface. The water churned beneath the 300 meter diameter globes. The colors changed from white to various pastel shades while they extracted the water, filling their onboard tanks. They were taking the most valuable natural resource in the universe – liquid water.”

A group of three of these orbs was positioned 200 kilometers north of the Falkland Islands. They operated with blind impunity in the growing darkness. They disregarded the approach of two narrow, dark shapes from the east. The dark shapes turned away from each other, revealing more dark shapes behind them. These turned as well, as did the ones behind them.

They had successfully ‘crossed the tee’ of the alien craft. Six naval vessels, three American and three British, formed a picket line and opened fire. The large bore projectiles impacted on the surface, failing to penetrate. Phalanx guns fired bursts but were still repelled. Their efforts were being monitored by radio and satellite.

“This is SHADO Control, if you give us the coordinates for the UFO’s you are fighting, I will arrange some assistance.” Said a pleasant woman’s voice over the radio. They responded with the exact position of each of the three large orbs.

“When you see them glow pink, let them have it.” Said Virginia. She triggered three ODIN’s to rotate 180 degrees and targeted the orbs with the EMP device. The three spherical ships began to shimmer bright pink under the EMP beams.

The ships opened fire with another broadside of deck artillery and Phalanx guns. Three massive explosions sent a wall of water outward in concentric circles as the shock wave expanded. The six vessels were nearly rolled over by the massive swells.

They had managed to turn their bows partially into the oncoming waves to split the pressure of the water with the prow. As the ships pitched violently, their crews were slung about unmercifully inside. Those unfortunate enough to be on deck were swept clear by rolling walls of dark water. Submarines from three nations arrived quickly to look for the missing and help treat the wounded.

Sky Units had launched in the Straits of Gibraltar to destroy both orbs and crescent fighters while their submarines fired deck guns and rockets in conjunction with EMP pulses against three large orbs. The subs were able to dive in order to avoid impact from the massive waves created by the explosion of the three ships.

The narrows caused the waves to pile up and they pushed far inland at great height. Rescue units from four nations responded immediately to the inundated coastal communities.

Straker and Thorvald were still firing from the roof of the administration building. The crowd of insurgents was dwindled to a remaining few. SHADO combat troops were rising up from their grassy concealed positions and making the final shots in close.

“We need one of those reptilian corpses for analysis.” Said Straker into his microphone.

He and Thorvald heard a rolling, rumbling sounds like thunder in the grey skies overhead. There was a pervasive smell of burning wood, plastic and garbage. The cloud ceiling was lowered by plumes of smoke from burning fires in all directions. The booming sound hit them again. It wasn’t thunder…

Five crescent fighters flew low over the facility, one trailing red-tinted smoke. There was the ear-splitting shriek of jet fighters at supersonic speeds directly behind them. At the point was a Saab JAS-39 with red painted wings, canon pods blazing. Five more followed it close behind with red striped wing tips. A SHADO flight…

“Prosser,” Said Thorvald with a devious looking grin on his face. Straker grinned, feeling a mix of pride and anger that he wasn’t up there too.

Ford’s voice came into his headset. “General Straker, you are needed downstairs.”

“On my way, Ford.” He said, motioning for Thorvald to join him.

There was an unmistakable concussive rumble in the distance. It was the sound made by fast moving aircraft impacting solid ground. “Theirs, I hope.” Said Straker.

All over the Earth, humans were fighting bitterly for survival against the experienced reptilian soldiers. Bands of armed civilians used guerilla tactics from ages past to isolate, strike and defeat their alien enemy.

Civilians were voluntarily reinforcing military groups in the field.

The RAU’s had deployed over and over again, from positions of deep concealment to airdrops into forward areas. SHADAIR transports were air-dropping large shipping containers with the Markers Transport logo by parachute.

Inside each were six RAU’s and six combat troops who would deploy with them riding two-up. They had doubled their strike power and allowed for more effective rolling gunfights. The combined units left knobby tire prints on the soil, carpet and concrete of three different continents. They had lost only two of their own.

The large orbs had been systematically destroyed by the ODIN’s in conjunction with terrestrial forces. The small orbs had seemingly vanished. All Earth defenses concentrated on the elliptical troop carriers, crescent fighters and their reptilian forces.

Humanity was containing the otherworldly threat, fighting with vengeance.

CHAPTER 31

“Sir, they have some… ‘thing’ in the medical lab.” Said Keith Ford.

Straker and Thorvald stepped into the ante room of the lab. Doctors Schroeder and Harris were in full encounter suits over the corpse. Over the intercom, Schroeder said, “No entry until we get a clear on biological threats.”

Major Ealand stepped in behind Straker. She saw the creature on the gurney through the lab window. It was the first time Ed Straker ever saw her lose composure. She looked horrified and a little faint.

“What is it, Major?” Asked Straker, pulling her attention back and giving her the opportunity to regain her customary calm. She cleared her throat and straightened her posture.

“Message from the I.A.C., Sir.” “The alien parent craft have left our solar system and appear to be maintaining a retreating course.”

“Excellent news, Major…” “Get the word out to all commands; these aliens lost their ride home…” She departed the ante room with no interest in looking behind her.

Schroeder spoke into the intercom. “All clear General, but you should wear gloves and a mask.” Straker nodded. He and Thorvald complied and stepped in. Schroeder and Harris removed what was left of the helmet. Some residual green fluid splattered to the floor. There was a single clean bullet hole through its face, right above the bridge of what was presumably the nose.

“Nice shot.” Said Schroeder. Harris nodded. Straker looked at Thorvald and gave him a grin.

Schroeder continued, “Interesting physiology so far.” “Reptilian features and humanoid features combined.” “X-rays show a mix of solid and partially hollow bones.” “Despite its’ size, it weighs no more than one of us.” “The heavy musculature is along solid bones, as are the supportive and joint structures.”

“The secondary bones that locate connective tissue and organs, are what look like ribs, but are hollow.” “It is something like a giant bird’s skeleton.” “It even has a ‘wishbone’.” “They may have had avian ancestors.”

“Organs look similar to ours according to the scan and are in analogous locations.” “We won’t have many more answers until autopsy and completion of the blood and tissue panels.”

The creature had skin looking smoother than Earth reptiles. It was soft to the touch despite the green coloration. Despite the imposing stature, the facial features were quite delicate, almost feminine looking. The eyes were large and structured like a snakes, with black elliptical pupils and yellow-green iris.

Straker said, “It looks like something from the Black Lagoon had a one-night stand with Malibu Barbie.” He added, “Is it a male or a female, Doctor Schroder?”

“Let’s find out.” Said Schroeder. They found clasps to release the plate armor around the shoulders and chest. They lifted it away slowly and set it aside for analysis.

The alien wore an ornate purple tunic with several chains of metallic substances, looking similar to gold and platinum. There were faceted stones of various colors imbedded in the collar of the tunic. A sash of gold and crimson red cut diagonally across the chest.

“Uh-oh.” Said Straker. “I think this was somebody important.” They all looked at each other. “This could become a problem…” He added.

Schroeder and Harris removed the metallic belt that seemed to be securing the chain mail that hung to the knees. It all came off together, revealing a very large organ in the groin area. “Whoa!” exclaimed Schroeder. All the humans in the room stepped back.

“I’m guessing this means they don’t reproduce asexually,” offered Harris, with a clinical tone to his voice.

Thorvald said, “I feel like I should salute or stand at attention.”

“I’m just glad Major Ealand chose to come in earlier.” Straker said with a grin. “Cover this thing up doctor.” “If any human women see this, it’s all over for us…”

He looked up to see a very wide-eyed Keith Ford looking through the window.

“What is it, Ford?” asked Straker through the intercom.

“Th… There is something going on in your office Sir.” Said Ford, not sure exactly what he had just seen.

Straker motioned to Thorvald to follow. They stripped off their masks and gloves, dropping them in the biohazard trash receptacle. They stepped quickly down the corridor.

Straker and Thorvald stepped into the office. The small cube on the desk was glowing brightly and flashing different colors.

“Straker, can you hear me?” came a familiar voice. Straker hit the AV link button but nothing was there. “Straker, can you hear me?” it repeated.

He waved his hand twice over the cube. A three dimensional image formed in the center of the room. It resembled a hologram, life-sized and substantial but partially transparent. It was the same woman with the long white hair, standing in a shimmering whitish robe that seemed to mimic the colorful flashes of light in the mural behind Straker’s desk. She looked at the mural and smiled…

“Greetings, Straker.” “I am pleased that you remembered how to use the cube.”

Straker straightened his black turtleneck and attempted to smooth his trousers a bit. He and Thorvald were both covered in sweat, grime and smears of black residue from many rounds fired. Straker decided to strike a diplomatic tone.

“What can we do for your multi-galactic organization today?” He asked, realizing it probably sounded a bit condescending.

“We have been observing your battle to preserve your species, Straker.” “I will address that, but I first have an urgent plea from one of our member worlds.”

Thorvald and Straker looked at each other. Ford entered, seeing the image and noted Straker motioning to him to key the office camera and broadcast the signal. Ford nodded compliance and stepped back out to the communications console.

Another image began to appear. It was a very large reptilian, easily over 8 feet tall. It was wearing a long purple tunic with jeweled collar and the crimson and gold sash. Instead of decorative chains, this alien wore a long white cape and had a band of iridescent metal around its head.

“This is the Monarch of the species you are battling right now.” Said the woman.

He spoke with a deep and powerful voice. “I have come to end this atrocity.” He said, “The government of our world did not approve this attack on your species.” “It is the doing of my impudent and irresponsible eldest son.”

“He formed an alliance with races who steal and squander natural resources from worlds they have no claim to.” “He planned and launched this attack on your world for personal gain and to establish his status as a warlord.” “He has followers that would do anything for a share of the spoils.” “I wish to bring this to an end before more lives are lost to both our worlds.”

He added, “The body of my son now rests in this very facility.” “I want to know who ended his life, Straker.”

Thorvald was fearful, but he stepped forward, stood at parade rest and said, “It was I that ended his life.”

The Monarch looked Thorvald over and then at the white haired woman. She held up her hand. It began to glow. The Monarch raised his hand and it began to glow as well. The reptilian king looked back at Thorvald, whose legs were feeling weak now.

Straker had a look of horror on his face for what might happen next. Virginia could see the exchange on the monitor. She began to run the maze of corridors connecting the new section to the old facility.

“The Monitor has shared your information with me, Thorvald.” “You are a warrior of honor and tradition, from a land of ice and snow.” “Under other circumstances, I would have enjoyed meeting you more.”

“I am grateful to you for giving my son the most honorable and merciful death possible – to fall by the hand of a warrior foe who fights with honor and integrity.” “Little is of more importance to our clan than honor and integrity.” “It is unfortunate that my son exchanged his for avarice.”

“My son will be mourned, but he will not be honored.” “You will be honored in his place, Thorvald.” “You will be forever welcome on our world…”

The door opened and a panting Virginia entered, stopped cold by the images before her. The Monitor and the Monarch exchanged glowing hands again. The Monarch smiled gently, as did the Monitor. Virginia stepped close to Thorvald and he put his arm around her. “This is my life mate, Your Majesty,” he said.

“Ah, Virginia Lake.” “Great intelligence, courage and integrity.” “You have chosen your life mate well, Thorvald.” Virginia smiled and gave her husband a squeeze.

The Monarch struck a courtly pose and said, “The forces of your world fought bravely with honor against foes that have crushed other, more advanced worlds.” “I will now remove our wayward young, our dead and our sky vehicles.”

“I offer my profound regret and sorrow at the death and destruction brought upon your world at the hands of my son and his accomplices.” “I also regret that our worlds first met in this manner.” “For your world, I wish you peace, prosperity and excellence.”

The reptilian King raised both hands and they began to glow. He closed his eyes and his image faded. All over Planet Earth, reptilian soldiers both dead and living began to glow in a hazy white light.

It was clear to those watching that the extraction process was a painful one. They were not wrong. The living reptilian soldiers would be directly sent to a forced labor camp awaiting prosecution. Their craft, both wrecked and functional disappeared as well.

There benefactors gone, the few remaining insurgents surrendered immediately. It was all over…

The Monitor spoke gently. “Straker, your world has prevailed against forces that have left a trail of destruction across the universe.” “Yours is a species of great resourcefulness, valor and passion.” “You have proven yourselves worthy of respect and admiration.”

“You have also captured the attention of many, many worlds.” “They are going to desire to visit your world and interact with your species.” “Our timeline for approaching your world has been made pointless.” “We will interact freely with your world effective immediately.”

“SHADO has a new mission, Straker.” “The threat from your familiar adversary will end soon.” “Few escaped and with very few captives to harvest organs from.” “They expended the last of their resources and population to take part in this attack.” “They will end as a species in a short span of time.” “They have doomed themselves to extinction.”

“The species that was pilfering your water resources acts remotely and never physically takes part in an attack.” “They are a particularly cowardly species with no known honorable traits.” “We will remove their advanced technology and confine them to their own world to rediscover the concepts of toil and social virtue. They will rise to a level worthy of contact in several generations.”

“What of the reptilian King and his world?” Asked Straker.

“As a member world, they are subject to heavy sanctions for their part.”

“But they did not act as a planet, Monitor.” “Their Monarch brought peace to both worlds.” Said Straker.

The Monitor paused, smiled and tilted her head in an expression of wonder. “Your world would extend a plea of mercy for such a planet, Straker?”

“It is a character trait of our species.” Said Straker. “It is an inherent search within us to seek the best attributes in our individual selves and as a species. We try to extend those grand concepts to others, in hope that they will respond in like manner.”

Straker added. “We refer to it as ‘humanity’”. “It is of such importance to our world that we use the same word to describe our species; Humanity.”

The Monitor smiled warmly. “Your world will be a welcome addition to our charter Straker.” “It will be very popular to visiting species in search of knowledge of your Earth, its history and ‘Humanity’.”

“SHADO’s role in your world will now change, Straker.” “You need not focus solely on defense of your world.” “Your organization will now be the primary contact for beings of all other worlds.” “You will regulate and facilitate their visits to your world, and help them understand the complexities of your species.”

“To aid you in this pursuit, you can utilize the cube to communicate with them and study their species and home-worlds.” Simply pass your hand over the cube once and tell it what you want to know, it will hide nothing from you.” “Use it in peace, Straker.”

The image of the Monitor began to fade, “We will meet in person very soon.” She said, and the room seemed suddenly very large and empty.

Ed Straker stepped gingerly to the door with a feeling of renewed energy. “Ford, issue the order – bring them all home…”

With misty eyes, Keith Ford issued the general order for all personnel to return to their bases. It would become the high point of his career.

Ed Straker stepped back into his office and smiled at the embraced Thorvald and Virginia. He stepped over to the drink dispenser and procured two fingers of scotch.

He placed the glass on the desk. Thorvald and Virginia looked at him puzzled. “It’s just waiting for my best friend to come home and pick it up.” Said Straker.

He continued. “If you two will excuse me, I need to put in a call to NORAD Command.”

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Re: Change In the Air, Part III
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Prologue

In the days after the battles’ end, SHADO operatives and military forces from dozens of nations made their way back to their homelands.

The death toll among humanity rose daily as more bodies were discovered in the wreckage of buildings, homes and vehicles.

In the final analysis, humanity had lost nearly 300,000 souls. Of those, 14,238 were military service members from various nations. SHADO had lost 143 of its own as well.

The balance consisted of civilians who perished either by alien hands or as a result of collateral damage created by falling aerial craft and the aftermath of the massive detonations that rocked every continent. More than double that number had been injured.

Utilities and other infrastructure were being slowly restored, but great care was being taken to secure terminal points of use to prevent further fires and casualties.

Field hospitals were full to capacity and medical treatment centers were being set up in whatever buildings were deemed safe for use. Many were still operating in tents, on board ships and in rail cars on sidings. Slowly, the end of the medical emergency would come into sight.

Nations worked to re-establish supply chains for food and the essentials needed to care for human populations. National borders remained intact, but now were open for supplies and refugees to travel in both directions.

The whole of humanity was working together to restore their world. It was global peace in the wake of interstellar war. Human nature being what it is would ensure that the peace wouldn’t last…

Ed Straker finally had his command staff home and standing in his office. There were warm embraces where once there had been reservations over proprieties and appearances. Alec, Paul, Virginia, Thorvald, Dr. Jackson and General Prosser were together again.

Ed Straker was ecstatic they had returned safely.

Straker handed his best friend of nearly thirty years the glass of scotch that had been waiting for his arrival. Alec took a healthy swig and promptly choked on it, coughing until he was red in the face.

“Believe it or not Ed, this is the first drink I’ve had since I left,” sputtered Alec. “Looks like I need to practice.” He said, downing the rest of the glass. Everyone laughed.

Straker spoke. “Everyone, I want to express my gratitude to you for your hard work and sacrifice.” “We lost 143 of our own, and we owe it to them to make sure they are properly celebrated and honored for their service.” “To this end, there will be a permanent memorial established, set in the clearing of the field across the road from the entrance.” “It will list every single name, their ranks and their jobs within SHADO.” “This memorial will be open to the public and any other visitors who wish to pay their respects…”

“The new role for SHADO is to function as the liaison for Earth to the many worlds and species who wish to communicate with and visit us.” “In order for this to happen, SHADO must present a public face to the world, yet continue with some level of covert operation.” “For most intents and purposes, the lid is off and we are in the open light of day…” “After thirteen years, this will be a challenge.” “Does anyone have anything they want to add?”

Dr. Jackson stepped forward. “My friends, I am retiring from SHADO medical services, effective immediately.” “I will be devoting my efforts to a different, more service-oriented endeavor.” “I trained over twenty people to take my place and I am going to make my departure at this opportune time.” “You will all still see me from time to time…” He said, smiling warmly.

The command staff congratulated Dr. Jackson. A very tired looking Thorvald embraced him.

Dr. Jackson whispered, “Are you having trouble sleeping again, old friend?”

Thorvald leaned away so Virginia wouldn’t hear and whispered, “Dreams about my daughter again, Yannick.”

“Do you still have that address I gave you a few weeks ago?” Asked Jackson. “Discuss it with Virginia, my friend.” “It’s time for you to turn a corner in your heart…”

Thorvald and his loving bride arrived at their home to find a blue and white motorcycle in the drive. They entered and found Mrs. Lake happily stuffing her things into a couple of canvas zippered bags.

“Mom?” said Virginia. “What is this?”

“It’s time for you to have your home to yourselves again, dear.” “Gunther is going to take me back to Brighton…” “On his ‘motorrad’.” “Did I say that right?”

Prosser smiled and nodded. He had given Mrs. Lake her own armored riding suit, helmet, gloves and boots. The sizes were a little off, but close enough to be functional and comfortable.

Thanks and farewells were exchanged. The couple loaded up, mounted the machine and rode away. Virginia had tears in her eyes and was a little unsure why…

“I need to ask you something, Love.” Said Thorvald and he pulled a slip of paper from his pocket with an address on it.

Thorvald and Virginia followed Dr. Jackson’s directions and turned onto the access road, it wound through a stand of birch trees and then a lovely orchard full of apple, pear and peach trees. An ornate sign greeted them.

“Evelyn’s Orchard - Orphanage and Children’s Hospital.”

Thorvald and Virginia just looked at each other. They pulled up and parked near the marble columned entrance. It just looked like an enormous stately old home.

Janet Holmes, the administrator of the facility greeted them warmly at the door. “What brings you two to our facility today?” She asked.

Thorvald said quietly, “Doctor Jackson recommended I come here for a visit.”

Holmes smiled, “Dr. Jackson is such a blessing to us here.” “He has served as a counselor, physician and clergyman here for many years.” “The children absolutely adore him.” “He’s around here somewhere if you’d like to see him…”

Thorvald and Virginia smiled at each other, understanding now what Jackson had been referring to in Straker’s office when he announced his retirement.

Janet Holmes continued. “This facility was created in 1982 by General James Henderson as a labor of love and a tribute to his wife Evelyn.” “Although they had no children, the General felt a burden to provide for the children left injured and orphaned by alien attacks.”

“All of these children you see are here because their parents were murdered for their organs.” “Many of them were unfortunate witnesses to the act.”

Thorvald could not help himself. He stepped slowly and quietly into the activity room where fourteen children of different ages and descriptions were at play doing varying things, some in groups. He was drawn to these unfortunate children by overwhelming compassion. He kept his distance, not wanting to disturb them.

All of the furniture in the room was sized for the children. Thorvald moved to a small chair near the large picture windows and sat down slowly.

He dearly missed the sounds and sight of children at play. His heart was breaking, yet swelling with warmth. His eyes misted despite his effort to avoid it.

“His first wife and daughter were also murdered by the aliens.” Virginia said quietly to Janet. She did not see Dr. Jackson watching from an adjacent corridor, obscured from their sight.

Slowly, a very small girl with blonde curls and shining steel blue eyes walked toward the large man near the window. She had a look of serious contemplation…

Janet had a look of shock. She grabbed Virginia’s arm with both hands. “Oh my goodness!” “That’s Annie.” “She has been here for seven months and has shied away from everyone!”

“Her parents and brother were murdered in the raid at Whitby while she was at a neighbor’s home.” “She was there when they were found and saw the horrific result.” “She hasn’t said a word since she’s been here.” “She just clings tightly to that little stuffed toy Holstein.”

Dr. Jackson stood in the corridor, praying and watching with teary eyes. “Please Heavenly Father, heal these tortured souls…”

The little girl, who couldn’t have been any more than five, walked slowly up to the somewhat scary looking man with the thick framed glasses and warm smile. She stood directly in front of him looking up into those shimmering dark green eyes.

Little Annie reached up and handed Thorvald her soft, adorable stuffed cow. She raised her arms and opened her hands – the universal child’s signal to pick them up…

Virginia and Janet watched, breath held and teary eyed at what was unfolding across the room.

Thorvald reached gently down and lifted the little girl up, setting her on his lap. She was smiling sweetly and cuddled into Thorvald’s arms. He gently placed the soft, fuzzy cow in her arms.

He gazed warmly into the blue eyes of the precious child in his lap.

“And what sound does a cow make?” he asked gently.

She squished her facial features and took a deep breath. “Mooooooooo!” She shouted joyfully.

She turned and wrapped her arms around Thorvald’s neck. He wrapped his arms around her and held her, rocking gently by instinct. She couldn’t see the tears rolling down his face or his heartfelt smile. She only knew she felt safe and comfortable and loved.

That was enough…

***** The End, For Now… *****

Disclaimers: Any similarity between characters, plots, stories, dialogue or settings and any living persons or copyrighted/protected materials is purely unintentional beyond the characters of the UFO series. Thorvald David Magnusson, Gunther Prosser and other ancillary characters are purely fictional characters and a creation of the author. Any similarity to actual persons living or dead outside of the historical ones mentioned is frankly hard to imagine…

A very heartfelt thanks to Matthew White for his creation of a backstory and mother character for Virginia Lake. It opened up a world of opportunities to explore…

References:

Vehicles and Aircraft:

Beetle is a registered trademark of Volkswagen AG and its subsidiaries.

Pinzgauer is a property of Steyr-Daimler-Puch and BAE Systems, Inc.

R100 GS-PD is a property of BMW Motorrad, AG

Albatross, all variants, WWI fighter made by Albatross-Flugzeugwerke, Germany.

Saab JA 37 ‘Viggen’ (Thunderbolt), all variants, is a property of Saab AB and Saab Scania.

Saab JAS 39 ‘Gripen’ (Griffin), all variants, is a property of Saab AB and Saab Scania.

MiG-31, (NATO designation ‘Foxhound’), all variants, is a property of Mikoyan-Gurevich Design Bureau, Russia.

F-111 ‘Aardvark’, all variants, is a property of General Dynamics Corp.

C-130 ‘Spectre’ gunship, all variants, is a property of Lockheed and Boeing in a joint venture.

KC-135 ‘Stratotanker’, all variants, is a property of Boeing.

A-10, ‘Thunderbolt II’ and ‘Warthog’, are properties of Fairchild-Republic.

F-4 and ‘Phantom’, all variants, are properties of McDonnell-Douglas. Operation Skyburner water injection variant, 1961, setting world speed record of 1,606 mph.

Weapons:

FAL rifle, all variants, are properties of Fabrique Nationale, Herstal, Belgium.

Colt 1911, all variants, are properties of Colt Patent Firearms.

CZ-75 pistol, all variants, are properties of Czeska-Zbrojovka, Uhersky-Brod, Czech Republic. The ‘pre-B’ original in the story, made in the former Czechoslovakia.

Redhawk revolver, all variants, are properties of Sturm, Ruger and Co., Inc.

H&K P7-M8, all variants, are properties of Heckler & Koch.

Bren Squad Automatic Rifle, all variants, are properties of Zbrojovka Brno Factory and the British Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield. Still in production in India.

Model 96 Swedish Mauser rifle, 6.5x55mm, all variants, made in Sweden by Carl Gustafs Stads Gevarsfaktori or Husqvarna Vapenfabriks AB.

Phalanx CIWS, (Close-In Weapons System), 20mm rotary canon, is a property of General Dynamics Corp, Pomona Division (now Raytheon).

Literature, Film and Music:

The Maltese Falcon, 1941, is a property of Warner Brothers, based on a novel by Dashiell Hammett – Starring Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre, Mary Astor & others.

Reefer Madness, 1936, is a property of George A. Hirliman Productions.

Messier’s Catalogue of Nebulae and Star Clusters, by Charles Messier, originated in 1771 with additions made until 1966 by many contributors.

Elijah and the Prophets of Baal, The Holy Bible, Old Testament, 1 Kings 18:21-34

‘Emperor Concerto’, Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat Major, Opus 73, by Ludwig van Beethoven, composed between 1809 and 1811, Vienna, Austria.

Children of the Heavenly Father, Swedish hymn, English version 1925, translated by Olson. The original, Trygarre Kan Ingen Vara by Ahnfelt and Sandell-Berg, 1858.

Historical Persons:

Gross-Admiral Karl Doenitz, 1891-1980, Commanding Admiral of U-Boat Corps. Commander in Chief of the German Navy, then served as Head of State at the end of the war, authored two books and multiple other texts.

Oswald Boelcke, 1891-1916, German WWI Ace, Leader of Jasta 2 Squadron and innovative tactician and instructor. His pupils included Manfred Von Richtoffen.

Attila ‘the Hun’, 406-453 Leader of the Hunnic Empire, a conglomeration of multiple tribes and peoples, known as the ‘Scourge of Rome’. Feared military leader by the Eastern and Western Roman Empires.

Johann Strauss II, composer, 1825-1899, famous for composing over 400 waltzes, operettas and symphonies.

Miscellanea:

SPAM, is a property of Hormel Foods.

Kevlar, para-aramid synthetic fiber, all variations, is a property of DuPont.

RAU’s, Rapid Assault Units, based on a program used by the U.S. Army, 82nd Airborne Ranger Pathfinders. Inspired by conversations with an old dear friend who served in the program.

Radio-Telescopes in the story were all operational in the 1993 time setting.

Malibu Barbie, all variations, is a property of Mattel, Inc.

Lutefisk, a Scandinavian holiday food (spellings vary by country), made of dried fish (usually cod) brined in lye, soaked, then steamed prior to serving. Highly pungent aroma. It combines elements of cooking and soap making. Seriously.

February, 2016

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo