SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Change In the Air, Part I (Read 1511 times)
Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Change In the Air, Part I
Feb 18th, 2016 at 2:38am
Print Post  
CHANGE IN THE AIR

A UFO Short Novel, Copyright 2016

By A. Berglund

UFO and its’ characters created by Gerry & Sylvia Anderson with Reg Hill, properties of ITV Studios Global Entertainment. See further disclaimers at end.

CHAPTER 1

It had been six months since the incident at Scarborough and three months since SHADO Moon Base had successfully repelled the vanguard of an alien invasion force. Attempted alien incursions had dropped off to only two or three of the smaller scout ships per month.

Some of the officials at I.A.C. were insistent that this indicated that the alien threat was coming to an end. They were pushing to cut the funding for SHADO. Cuts had already taken place after SHADO’s cover industry in nuclear waste processing and storage had brought about a windfall of funding.

Many nations had jumped at the opportunity to rid themselves of stored radioactive waste that bypassed the tangle of regulations within their own borders. The operation had been unofficially dubbed “Transformation Enterprises”.

All financial transactions were processed through multiple Swiss banks and laundered again through accounts in the Cayman Islands. Plausible denial was essential and their customer base insisted upon it.

It was necessity that SHADO and this operation be officially unconnected to preserve the security of both. The only time that SHADO operations connected with the remote island facility was to take on containers of depleted uranium ingots for casting into projectiles. This was done at night with no customs controls and air-tight security measures. The container ships were generic and non-descript.

Markers Transport trucks handled the containers once they made port in England. The site of the former Sea Side Holiday Camp near Scarborough had proven perfect to build a dock and warehouse facility. It had all simply been built over the ruins left by the SHADO operation there. The facility solved two problems at once.

SHADO Commander Ed Straker was in his office at the underground headquarters, some 80 feet beneath Harlington-Straker Studios. He was well aware of the push at I.A.C. to cut funding to his organization. The drop off in UFO incursions was just a convenient excuse. They had seen the numbers of attacks increase and decrease multiple times during the thirteen years since SHADO had become operational. Straker knew from harsh experience that these drop off periods meant the aliens were working on something new. The last time it resulted in the large troop ships that utilized new membrane technology.

Straker expected the call from General Henderson for the last two weeks and it hadn’t come yet. In fact, Straker’s monthly report to him hadn’t brought about so much as an irate phone call to complain about the additional 23 seconds it took to deploy five or six Interceptors instead of three…

Something was happening at I.A.C. and Straker felt it over his head like a dangling anvil. Uncertainty with the alien agenda was one thing, but he didn’t appreciate having the foundation of his organization shaken when it was already weakened by the decisions of disinterested committee officials.

His mood had been soured and his temper shortened long enough. He had snapped at too many staffers just doing their jobs and was eating antacid tablets like candy. His lack of sleep had begun to affect his ability to concentrate and make decisions. He expected Dr. Jackson to send him home with a tranquilizer any time now…

Straker had decided to call Henderson and get to the bottom of this situation. His right hand was inches from the orange phone handset when it rang…

“Yes, Ms. Ealand?”

“General Henderson on the A.V. link from I.A.C. Commander.”

“Thank you Ms. Ealand – put it right through.”

The A.V. link chirped announcing the incoming call. Straker pressed the connect button.

Straker leaned forward toward the monitor camera. “Hello General Henderson, what can I do for you today?” He said with some acidity to his voice.

Henderson was slow to respond. Straker noted that he looked haggard and worn and as if he wasn’t sleeping either. The General spoke softly, without his usual bluster. “Straker, this isn’t a business as usual call.” “I know I’m long overdue to respond to your report from last month. Let me clear that up now – I am quite satisfied with the report and status of all SHADO operations.”

“The delay in contact was of a personal nature…” “Look Ed, we’ve known each other for nearly thirty years so I’m going to be frank and cut to the chase.” “My wife Evelyn had a rather severe stroke two weeks ago.” “She’s in a nursing facility in the Cotswolds and will have to go through months of rehabilitation before she can return home – if she can.” “Son, I’m punching out my timecard and retiring, effective at the end of this week…” “No fanfare, no parties, no fuss…” “I don’t know how much longer we have together Ed, and I’m not putting her second in my priorities ever again.” “She stood behind me all these years – now it’s my turn.”

“I’m so sorry that you and your wife are going through this, Sir…” Said Straker with sincerity. Henderson and his wife had been more like parents to him than either of his own. Straker knew all too well how hard this job was on a marriage.

“I wanted you to hear it from me instead of through some official communique from I.A.C. my boy.” “Despite all the times we’ve butted heads over big or small issues, I’ve always been proud as hell of you.” “You have raised SHADO up from a loose assortment of science geeks, military types and bureaucrats into a juggernaut of global defense.” “Nobody else could have done what you have accomplished.”

“I learned most of what I know from you, General.” “You taught me to surround myself with brilliant and talented people, and to rely on and stand behind them.” Said Straker.

“You learned it well and you have a great team to prove it, Ed.” “That brings me to my next topic…”

“The U.N. Security Council insists on me naming my replacement, but they also insist on you remaining in command of SHADO.” “I didn’t buck at that since I know how much you would despise being locked in an office and surrounded by talking heads, bean-counters and bureaucrats.” “This job has probably sucked twenty years of my lifespan away with continual pointless chatter and bullshit…” “If I stuck you in this job, you’d be jabbing a Voodoo doll of me with push pins inside a week.”

“So who will be our new liaison to I.A.C. sir?”

“A Brigadier General named Gunther Prosser.” “He was a career combat pilot from the former West Germany and came up through the NATO command ranks.” “He’s a military minded, defense-oriented no-nonsense type.” “He will be a rock solid ally for you and your crew and he has a way of handling bureaucrats that is just a joy to watch.” “It’s like watching a T-rex in a sheep pen…”

“What is his interest in our organization, General?”

“He doesn’t know about SHADO yet, but he will by the time I walk out the door.” “He’ll want to spend time there with you all and asking lots of questions.” “I suggest your staff expect to spend plenty of time answering them.” “He’s a hands-on command type.” “As for his connection to anything SHADO-related, he has personally shot down three UFO’s during his service as a combat pilot for the Bundesrepublic Deutschland…” “He’s going to love being in on the program.”

“Ed, I’ll be bringing him to your site in person to meet you and your staff.”

“We’ll be pleased to have you both here, General.” “We’ll keep you and Evelyn in our thoughts and prayers, General.” Said Straker.

“Thanks, Ed. We’ll see you on Friday morning, say around ten.”

“See you then, Sir.”

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Re: Change In the Air, Part I
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 2:42am
Print Post  
CHAPTER 2

Thorvald and Virginia had been spending their free time together for two months. They were both slowly feeling out the connection they felt with each other. The warmth, the closeness and the attraction they shared were undeniable. They were both quite gun-shy and they agreed to take things slowly.

Virginia hadn’t been involved with any man since her short attachment with Craig Collins and the brief moments with Paul Foster immediately afterward. In neither case was there anything she could call “love”. They hadn’t even been physical relationships. That was what Foster was after and she saw through his façade of sweetness in the aftermath of Craig’s death. She was needing someone to hold her while she released the emotional turmoil within her. Paul saw an opportunity to take advantage of a beautiful and emotionally vulnerable woman.

When Straker and Freeman realized what was happening, they were ready to step in and end Foster’s involvement, with a bullet if necessary. They were extremely protective of Virginia. It was her that stepped in and stopped them, saying it amounted to nothing and to let it go. She had saved Paul Foster’s life and career and he would never know about it… He had matured in the decade since.

Thorvald had not been close to any woman in over thirteen years since his wife and daughter had been murdered and harvested by the aliens. He was struggling with feelings that he was being unfaithful to her by pursuing a relationship with Ginny. It was something hard for him to let go of. He was also scared to death to be intimate with a woman again. It had been so long and he was terrified of being a disappointment where it counted. Ginny was so beautiful and he couldn’t bear the thought of not living up to her expectations and satisfying her desires.

Thorvald and Virginia had been to several eateries, music venues and films together. It turned out they had similar tastes in these so they ventured to art museums and craft shows together as well. Outside of work they were always hand-in-hand beside each other. They would take walks through parks and watch the sun set over water when possible. The romance was building and they were helpless to suppress it despite their personal fears.

They were together in Virginia’s kitchen putting together a meal of savory oven-roasted chicken, wild rice pilaf, roasted root vegetables and fresh pumpernickel bread. Cooking together had become a regular occurrence for them.

Virginia loved to watch Thorvald prepare the dishes and present them with great care. She knew he did this, not just because of his fondness for cooking but because of his love for her… It had been as yet unspoken by either, but it was clear to each of them.

He could feel it in the way she embraced him and pressed herself against him, nestling her face against his chest. Her soft, beautiful grey eyes closed with each gentle kiss, and her smile and laugh made him feel warmth like he hadn’t in so very long.

She could feel his love for her in the way he wrapped his arms around her and seemed to cradle her completely. She loved those expressive deep green eyes that seemed to open all the way into his core. There was nothing there that could ever hurt her. She felt the warmth of his smile and in his gentle but shaky touch.

Virginia knew what Thorvald was fighting inside and it broke her heart to see him struggling. She knew that he was worth waiting for and that they would be together like she dreamed of some day.

After their dinner they were sitting on the veranda on her porch swing. They were enjoying a glass of Merlot as the sun was sinking low on the horizon, painting the clouds with glorious shades of orange and yellow with streaks of purple. Thorvald’s arm was around Ginny and she had her head on his chest, his cheek resting atop her golden hair. She could tell he wanted to say something but was holding back.

As they gently swung slowly back and forth she simply said, “What is going on behind those worried eyes, Thorvald?” He sighed nervously and took a sip of the Merlot to wet his lips and mouth which suddenly felt very parched.

“I know that our relationship is moving at a more glacial pace than you would have expected. I want you to know that I have been meeting with Dr. Jackson to work through the issues that are keeping me from giving myself to our relationship with the fullness we both desire.” “It will happen, I promise you…” “Please, just don’t give up on me, Love…” His eyes were misted, and she could see that he had been very worried.

Virginia turned to face him and placed her hand gently upon the side of his face. “That is something you never had to worry about, Thorvald.” “I love you and I’m not going anywhere without you beside me.” She kissed him tenderly and it released a sigh of relief and contentment from deep within him.

CHAPTER 3

It was Wednesday morning. Ed Straker was expecting a group in his office shortly. He was going to break the news about Henderson and his replacement to the command staff. Within moments Alec, Virginia, Paul and Dr. Jackson were there. He had also asked Thorvald to join them since he was such an old friend of Henderson’s. Thorvald slipped in behind the group and up beside Virginia. He gave her hand a quick squeeze and stepped over. Straker noticed this and also the smile on her face.

The idea of Thorvald and Virginia together was not a worry to Straker or Freeman. They were supportive of the relationship in whatever form it took. Virginia was very happy and Thorvald was a man that would never hurt her and would defend her with his own life without hesitation. They were so compatible on so many levels… There were also no security issues with the relationship among SHADO operations. Foster even seemed to be happy for them both.

“I’ve called you here this morning to inform you that General Henderson is retiring, effective at the close of business on Friday afternoon.” “His wife is in poor health and he intends to spend whatever time they have left, together.” “He will be arriving Friday with our new I.A.C. liaison, a Brigadier General Gunther Prosser.” “He is an experienced combat pilot and was with NATO Command after the West German Air Force.” Thorvald was grinning and shaking his head.

“I take it you are familiar with General Prosser.” Straker said to Thorvald.

“Yes Commander.” “He is one of those that knew of me from my Project Mjolnir days.” “He flew me in to several of my missions.” “A higher ranking flight officer was the pilot for those insertions for security reasons.” He smiled again. “In retrospect, despite the many times he took off with me aboard, I’ve never actually seen him land an aircraft.”

“What can you tell us about General Prosser, Thorvald?” Asked Straker.

“He is very much the rugged individualist, Commander.” “He is a unique personality, fond of good food, music and company.” “He was often referred to as “The German Shepherd,” not just because of his fierceness but also due to the great loyalty he gave and demanded from his reports.” “He forgets nothing he sees or hears…”

“I got a similar description from Henderson.” “He said we should expect lots of questions and give all the answers we can.” “He seems to think General Prosser will be a good fit with SHADO operations.”

Alec added, “Are we going to throw a party or celebrate Henderson’s retirement?”

Straker said, “He wants to go out with no fanfare of any kind.” “Just a quiet departure…”

Thorvald chimed in. “Perhaps we can give him a luncheon and welcome General Prosser as well.” “Oddly enough, I happen to know they both are fond of home-made chicken and dumplings as well as Dutch apple pie.”

Straker grinned at him saying, “Thanks for volunteering, Thorvald.”

Friday morning at just before 1000 hours, General Henderson and General Prosser arrived at Ms. Ealand’s office at Harlington-Straker Studios. Straker stepped out of his office to welcome them. Both generals carried a brief case.

Ms. Ealand pressed the button on her desktop console that secured the room from entry. From her upper left desk drawer, she removed a small box with buttons that looked like a television remote control.

“This way, gentlemen.” Said Straker, motioning toward his office door. He allowed them to enter and for Ms. Ealand to precede him through the door. He closed and secured the door behind him.

Henderson began. “General Gunther Prosser, this is Commander Ed Straker and his Administrative Assistant Ms. Ealand.” “She keeps Straker on track both in the studio and at SHADO as well.” “When you pick up your phone at the I.A.C. and press the red button, she will be the voice at the other end.”

Ms. Ealand spoke with quiet confidence that made General Prosser smile. “General, before you enter SHADO HQ, there is one procedure we must take care of.” She held up the small box with the buttons on it and said. “Please say your name clearly into the microphone, General.” She pressed the two outer button simultaneously and a voice said, “Ready for voice print identification entry.”

Prosser stood erect and spoke with a deep bass voice with Germanic accent, “Brigadier General Gunther Jurgen Prosser.”

“Voice print identification complete. Authorization completed. Welcome, General Prosser.”

Ms. Ealand said, “Thank you, General, I look forward to serving your command.” She stepped back out of Straker’s office and re-secured the door behind her.

Ed Straker opened the humidor on his desk. “General, please say any part of your name into the humidor.” Prosser raised an eyebrow quizzically but followed the instruction.

“Prosser,” he said clearly.

“Voice print identification positive, Brigadier General Gunther J. Prosser.”

Straker pressed the hidden button that looked like a dovetailed corner joint on the humidor and the office began to descend the 80 feet down to SHADO Headquarters.

Straker took the opportunity to look over General Prosser. The man was an imposing figure to be sure. He stood around 6’3” or so, with a broad chest and shoulders. He had arrow straight posture and stood with his hands clasped behind him and feet nearly shoulder width apart. He had a taught and angular jawline, thin lips and light crystal blue eyes that looked as though they could cut like a laser. He wore his pearl white hair short cropped in military fashion.

Today he wore a black leather overcoat over a white banded collar shirt and midnight blue trousers with a perfect crease. Even his squared off black boots were perfectly polished.

He had a timeless look that would fit perfectly in any period of military uniform of nearly any nation. A soldier’s soldier. Prosser had a look of quiet strength and confidence. Straker understood why Henderson had such confidence in this man to be the voice of SHADO in the I.A.C. Nobody was going to intimidate or coerce this man. Straker wanted to see him in action before the committee of scientists, economists and bureaucrats. Like Henderson had said, a T-rex in a sheep pen…

The door of Straker’s office opened into the corridor. Prosser looked over the large SHADO logo on the wall. He smiled and followed Straker down the corridor toward the command post. Along the path, SHADO operatives at all levels stopped and stood at attention as the Commander and both Generals passed by them. Prosser noted every single face and committed each of them to memory.

He liked the cut of the operatives he saw. Each appeared to be fit, confident and quite dedicated to their commander. It was apparent to Prosser that Straker had the loyalty of his reports and that only came from returning that loyalty when things got tough. Prosser would insist on nothing short of that.

Straker’s office door was open. Colonels Freeman, Lake and Foster were lined up standing at attention. Behind them stood Thorvald and Dr. Jackson. Commander Straker stepped through the door followed by Henderson and Prosser. Thorvald instinctively snapped a NATO command salute. Jackson suppressed the urge to smile. Prosser noted the salute and recalled the face behind it. He grinned at Thorvald. The door whooshed closed behind them.

“At ease, everyone.” Said General Henderson. He then introduced each of the SHADO command staff, saving Thorvald for last. When completed, he stepped back and motioned General Prosser to address the SHADO staff.

Prosser stepped forward and took that same stance with his hands clasped behind him and his feet poised directly beneath his shoulders. He looked over each face before him. Despite his imposing appearance he spoke as one would to their revered peers. His crystal blue eyes and gentle smile warm despite the strength behind them.

“I am familiar with all of your dossiers and personnel files.” “I have been studying your monthly and incident reports for the thirteen years SHADO has been operational and I will be asking you questions in the weeks ahead.” “I am counting on you to bring me up speed on SHADO operations in all sections, and I will be getting to know you individually and seeing how you interact and function here.”

Prosser continued. “I want you to know two very important things…”

“First, I am not here to change anything that you are doing.” “You have an efficient, effective and professional team here, in space and at sea.”

“Secondly, my job at I.A.C. is to fight on your behalf to secure the funding, assets and respect that SHADO deserves.” “If we cannot secure these things through the officially sanctioned channels, we will invent new ones…”

“I am not a diplomat, a bureaucrat or an accountant.” “I am a combat pilot.” “A room full of diplomats and talking heads, whether at I.A.C. or at the U.N.S.C. are just another soft-skinned target in my sights.” Alec was grinning like a schoolboy.

“There has been a Gunther Prosser in every global war of this century.” “My father was a U-boat command officer and was lost in action in the North Atlantic in 1944.” “His father before him flew an Albatross fighter in Oswald Boelcke’s Jasta 2 squadron, and was lost over France in 1917.” “I am the last Gunther Prosser, and I am honored to now fight for the preservation of humanity.”

“I am not here to command, but you may very well find me beside you, here and in the field when the action starts.” “Don’t take that as a criticism or lack of confidence in you.” “I accepted this position for one reason only… To help you get your job done.” “I am always available to you all for anything you ever find need of…” “Are there any questions?”

There was a collective sigh of relief. Straker and Henderson just looked at each other. Henderson smiled at him and said quietly, “This is the second-most brilliant decision I’ve made regarding SHADO…” “You were the first, my boy…”

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 2:46am
Print Post  
CHAPTER 4

Thorvald had come in to the SHADO cafeteria kitchen near dawn to get started on the luncheon so that everything would be perfect and ready to serve on time. Dr. Jackson had come in early to spend that time talking with Thorvald about what was distressing him. Jackson had also quite naturally began helping process and cut the vegetables and apples for the dishes. Nobody at SHADO knew that Dr. Jackson was a competent chef in his own right. He made a double batch of Polish country-style yeast rolls to go with the meal while Thorvald was making the dumplings. Cooking with an old friend while chatting was always a joy to Thorvald.

The luncheon was a major success. The chicken and dumplings, yeast rolls, vegetable medley and apple pie had been a big hit with both generals and the other command staff.

After the meal, the cafeteria staff cleared the dishes and utensils from the conference table in Straker’s office. The Commander offered cigars from his personal supply to his guests. Prosser graciously accepted one. He had his own clipper and lighter, which made Straker pause and smile.

Prosser slowly released a plume of grey smoke upward toward the lights. He turned the Lonsdale sideways, admiring the construction and the flawless natural wrapper.

“Very nice cigar, Commander Straker.” “I would be honored if you would accept a box of my favorite Toro’s from my own stock.”

“I would be delighted, General.”

General Henderson spoke up. “Before we fully immerse in the pleasantries, there is something we need to discuss of a pressing nature.” “Straker knows, but you others probably don’t as of yet.” “One of the reasons General Prosser is such a good fit for SHADO is because he has personal experience with UFO’s.” “He shot down three of them during his days flying fighters for West Germany.” “Go ahead and tell them what you told me, Gunther…”

“General Henderson showed me the dossiers on the UFO’s and aliens that you have been fighting against for over a decade.” “I engaged UFO’s on two separate occasions over the Bundesrepublic, and neither time were they like the ones you’ve been fighting against.” Everyone in the room was suddenly on the edge of their seat and listening intently…

“In both incidents, I was flying a covertly purchased, state of the art Saab 37 Viggen fighter with full avionics and targeting systems.” “In neither case was a radar image generated, nor missile lock obtainable.” “I was fortunate to have 30mm canons in my underwing pods or I could not have fired on them and would have perished like the others in both flights.” “I have provided General Henderson with footage from my gun cameras and cockpit on both occasions.” “I had to switch the films with others to keep them from being confiscated by West German Air Force Intelligence.”

“On both occasions, I encountered a different type of UFO which fired upon and destroyed my wingmen before I shot them down with conventional weapons.” “In both cases, the delay caused by the lack of target lock allowed the UFO’s time to fire their offensive weapons.”

“In short, there are more hostile alien races coming to Earth than just those green fellows in their spinning pie tins.” “The threat is much larger than SHADO realized…”

The looks around the table ranged from anger to horror at the prospect of what was coming… Each face was focused miles away recalling the horrific events of the last thirteen years…

It was Henderson that finally spoke again. “I picked a hell of a good time to punch out didn’t I?” “Don’t fret people, Prosser and I have some ideas on how to proceed in building up our defenses to accommodate other alien threats.” “This will be my parting shot on your behalf people.” “I have complete confidence in you all.”

CHAPTER 5

Straker and his command staff looked over the proposed ideas with General Prosser while General Henderson wandered around SHADO HQ saying farewell to the staff and thanking them for their service.

Keith Ford had given him a misty-eyed hug which he gladly returned. Keith had been one of the first SHADO operatives recruited by Henderson and Straker.

Henderson entered the medical center. Dr. Jackson rose to meet him with a warm smile. Henderson embraced him and patted him on the back. “You’ve done a great job keeping this odd mix of military and science geeks on track and functioning on an emotional and psychological level, Yannick.”

“General, you’ve never called me by my real name before.”

“I owed it to you - and for good reason.” “I’m the one who chose the name Douglas Jackson for you coming into SHADO…” “It’s my fault.” “I thought a solid American-sounding name might give you an air of credibility to the outside world and help conceal your past more effectively.” “In retrospect, I should have been more respectful of your ethnicity and cultural heritage.” “I gave you a name more fitting of a cattle rancher or some all-pro quarterback…” “I’m so sorry, Yannick.”

Jackson let out a belly laugh that bent him at the waist and made his eyes tear up. “Please don’t feel badly for that General, you actually did me a great service by choosing such a name.” “It has allowed me to be a sort of enigma in my profession.” “People make an incorrect assumption of me based on my name then are brought face to face with my bulging eyes, bushy brows and a voice like Peter Lorre in ‘The Maltese Falcon’…” “It adds to their disorientation and makes their minds more susceptible to probing and manipulation.”

“It is always a useful tool to keep people guessing when they meet me, General.”

“I’m glad there are no hard feelings, Yannick.” “Thank you for all your years of hard work here and at I.A.C.”

“It has been an honor to serve in your command, General.”

Straker and his command staff escorted General Henderson to his blue Rolls Royce for the last time. Hands were shaken, hugs were exchanged by those so inclined and Virginia gave him a kiss on the cheek.

He would return to his office for the sole purpose of signing the documents making Prosser the Commanding General at I.A.C. and SHADO liaison to both U.N.S.C. and the world… Henderson’s signature carried much more impact than just sending a professional wolf into a den of self-absorbed sheep – it also released a large monetary fund and made assets available to SHADO for immediate build up.

Henderson knew there was a storm coming and that SHADO would be all that stood between humanity and destruction from beyond our solar system. Prosser would see to it that they were ready when the time came…

He presented the mandates to the governing committee. Those that were paying attention were incensed that there was no vote, appeal or revocation possible. They were bound under an obscure Charter provision to accept the changes and make it happen immediately. He greatly enjoyed his last contact with them all…

Henderson knew these talking heads hadn’t read the Charter carefully beyond the sections that they had authored to secure favors for their own countries. Henderson had made sure the Charter and by-laws had these special provision to be played as his trump card when needed. He had patiently endured the pointless, self-righteous bullshit of the committee for over thirteen years just waiting for this specific day…

Henderson placed a few personal items from his office into a box and walked out with his head held high in defiance. He simply dropped his facility keys and identification pass on the desk in front of the security guard on duty.

He ambled to his blue Rolls Royce. His driver placed the box in the trunk beside his luggage and closed the door behind his employer of over twenty years. The elegant machine slipped quietly out the main gate and accelerated in the direction of the nursing facility in the Cotswolds.

James Henderson would never return to London again. The thought didn’t cause him any discomfort. He had made the world a safer place than he found it and he had established the only independent global defense organization in existence. His farewells had been satisfying and appropriate. He left with no regrets about the way his career had gone or ended – except for one…

He was on his way to make that right now. His beloved Evelyn had suffered so very many lonely nights and days due to his professional life. She had been alone when she had the stroke. The night maid had found her. That broke his heart beyond words.

Now, he would see to it that she was never alone or lonely again.

“Pedal faster up there, would you Hastings?”

“Gladly General…” He was not only Henderson’s personal driver but also his trusted bodyguard. An appointment personally arranged and payed for by Commander Ed Straker in gratitude to his mentor of over 30 years.

CHAPTER 6

“How in the hell are we supposed to get all this done in short order, General?” Asked a frustrated Ed Straker. His hand was cupped across his forehead in an attempt to stall the coming headache.

Prosser clipped a Toro cigar for both of them and expertly toasted the foot of each with his lighter. He handed one to Straker, which he gladly accepted.

“Commander, we do this following the same successful recipe that brought SHADO to its’ current glory.” “We recruit and employ the brightest and best of humanity while our experts expand our infrastructure and scale up the operation.” Said Prosser, releasing a plume of silky grey smoke toward the lights.

He added, “It is exactly what you have done for the last thirteen years, Commander…” “I did not come here to lob a grenade and walk away…” “I am here to help you for as long as you need me to be.”

“You seem to be an unflappable optimist, General.” “You also have a unique leadership style.” Said Straker. The Toro cigar was quite a bit larger in ring gauge than his Lonsdales, but incredibly smooth.

“I am simply a pragmatist, Commander.” “I utilize what works.” “In the same vein, I will also promise to tell you you’re full of shit when it is appropriate.” He smiled…

“As far as leadership style, I learned from letters that were written to me by my father while at sea, Commander.” “He learned his command leadership from watching Admiral Karl Doenitz.”

“Doenitz did not command from some bunker in Berlin or a palace in Paris.” “He lived at Kerneval, within sight of the canal leading to the Keroman submarine bases.” “If at all possible, he was there to see his U-boat crews off on war patrol and also there to welcome them home.” “He knew all of his commanders and many of their crew members as well.” “He took care of them and provided for them, even when Hitler was casting them aside in favor of yet another misguided campaign.”

“Doenitz was loyal to his U-boat crews and saw them as more than push pins on a map.” “They were fiercely loyal in return, even when the allies had developed effective detection methods and anti-submarine weapons.” “U-boat service was entirely voluntary and commanders hand-picked their crews.”

“There was never a shortage of volunteers, even when the attrition rate climbed to over 50 percent.” “They put to sea out of love for country, sense of duty and to protect their loved ones – not to satisfy some Nazi ideal.” “They stood alone…”

“They knew up front there was a less than even chance that they would ever see home again.” “By the end of the war, U-boat losses were over 75% Commander, my father being one of those lost…” “He was no Nazi, he was a patriot for his homeland and an inspiration to his men.” “They share their war grave…”

“A compelling example, General.” Said Straker. He knew as a student of history that the texts covering the events of all wars usually reflected only the viewpoint, rhetoric and propaganda of the victors.

The records and documents of the vanquished usually never saw the light of day after the fact, except in international courts of law to support the prosecution of war criminals. The atrocities and brutalities of war were very real and committed by victor and vanquished alike…

“My leadership style is based on two very different sources, General.” Said Straker slowly building a smile and a sear in his blue eyes. “From antiquity, my inspiration is found in Attila the Hun.”

Prosser grinned, a plume of smoke exiting through his toothy smile. “And the other?”

“General James L. Henderson.” “Both could be described as demanding of personal integrity and duty, but equitable, reasonably open-minded and fiercely loyal to those who serve with honor.”

“Well said, Commander Straker.” “Well said…” Stated Prosser with a gleam of pride in his eyes. “We will work well together...”

Straker said, “I want to assemble my full team here tomorrow morning to get some ideas on paper and develop a path forward General.” “I’ll send word to those off-site to be here well rested at 0700 hours.”

“Excellent, Commander.” “I will go to the cafeteria and arrange for catered breakfast, lunch and possible dinner for all involved.” Said Prosser.

Prosser rose from the chair to his imposing full stature. He arched his back to stretch it and tilted his head to the left and to the right. Sitting had caused him to stiffen. He noted Straker’s concerned look and said, “Commander, I am not a young man.” “Most people my age are worried about stretching their pension checks and why their children and grand-children never seem to visit.’’ Straker smiled…

“Do you have a dormitory here, Commander?”

“Yes General, but I can provide you with a fully furnished apartment for your use as long as you need it.” “The dormitory is primarily for young SHADO operatives, lab people and support personnel.” “Each room has a private bath, but the dining, laundry and recreational facilities are used by all residents.” Said Straker.

Prosser smiled and said, “Perfect. That is exactly what I am looking for, Commander.” “I want to get to know them and I want them to gain a report with me as well.” “We will need the participation of all of them to get this job done.”

“Oh, and I have provided my own transportation as well.” “My motorrad, or perhaps I should call it a motorcycle - is parked out front.” “I followed General Henderson here this morning.”

Straker said, “I have taken the liberty of giving you a viable cover story to explain your presence on the site topside, General.” “There is no doubt that you would be eventually recognized for who you are, so your cover will be to act as technical advisor for military themed films.” “We do a lot of documentaries here, Sir.”

Straker continued, “It will take just a short while to arrange your accommodations and an office here, General.” “In the meantime, please feel free to walk the halls and familiarize yourself with the facility.”

Prosser smiled. “That is a grand idea, Commander…”

Prosser stepped into the cafeteria entrance. He spoke with the staff in the kitchen. He saw Thorvald and Virginia sipping coffee at a corner table and moved toward them. “May I join you?” He asked.

“Please do, General. Can I get you a mug of coffee?” Asked Virginia.

Prosser sat down opposite them. “No thank you, Colonel Lake.” “I felt compelled to greet my old comrade, although the name change will take time.” “Please don’t be offended if I call you Magnus.” Thorvald smiled as did Virginia. Prosser could see they were a couple, but somehow not fully connected. He could see in Thorvald’s eyes that there was some obstacle there. He had seen those eyes filled with purpose and bravado before, but never worry or sadness.

Prosser spoke softly. “I am pleased to see that the report of your demise was untrue, old friend.” “My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your dear wife and daughter.” “I cannot even imagine the hell you have been through and it breaks my heart for you.” “We insertion-extraction pilots feel a very special bond and sense of responsibility for our op’s friends.” Thorvald’s eyes darkened…

Prosser continued, “You probably didn’t know it, but I knew your Helge before you were a couple.” “She worked at the farm market near the base where you and I were stationed.” “I saw her at least twice a week for fresh vegetables and fruits.” “She was always such a joy to chat with.” “I knew her well enough to know she would be pleased that you are not alone, Thorvald.” “She wouldn’t have wanted that to happen, ever…”

Thorvald’s eyes were tearing up. “Please excuse me, General.” He left the cafeteria quickly leaving Virginia and Prosser behind.

Prosser said softly, “I caused my old friend great pain, Colonel. I am so sorry…”

Virginia smiled through her teary eyes, “No General, you just freed your old friend from a very heavy burden.” “Thank you so very much, Sir…”

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 2:49am
Print Post  
CHAPTER 7

The next morning, Virginia stepped out her turbine car in the parking lot. Dr. Jackson pulled into the adjacent stall in his pristine older Mercedes coupe. She waited for him to gather his things so they could walk in together.

“Doctor Jackson, may I ask you something?” She said sheepishly. They began to walk toward the entrance.

“I have been expecting your visit, Colonel Lake.” “It is no secret that you and Thorvald are deeply involved and I know he is struggling with some powerful emotions.”

He continued, “I would imagine that it feels like you are competing against ghosts for his affection.” “They are a very real part of who Thorvald is and represent an important portion of his life.”

“If I could offer any suggestion to you, Colonel, it would be to realize that memories of his late wife are not a threat to you.” “In fact, it would bring you two closer together if you were to simply embrace the memories of his late wife and daughter.” “Help him celebrate them and when appropriate, grieve for them…”

“Now, what was your question, Colonel?” He asked quizzically.

“As usual Doctor, you have answered it already.” Virginia laughed. It made Jackson smile as well. She added, “I don’t know how you manage to do this every time…”

Prosser and Straker greeted the command staff as they entered his office. Prosser stood behind him and to his right as a gesture of confidence and support.

“Help yourselves to coffee, tea and breakfast and we will get started.” Said Straker. Prosser handed him a mug of black coffee. “Thank you, General.”

Around the table sat Straker, Prosser, Colonels Freeman, Lake and Foster, with Thorvald and Dr. Jackson as well.

He began, “If you look in your folder you will note there are still photos taken of the UFO’s by General Prosser’s gun and cockpit cameras.” “You will notice they are quite different than the spinning silver domes we are accustomed to.” “The top photo is of a spherical glowing orb that disintegrated two fighters and accelerated to nearly Mach 4 before turning back on the General’s aircraft.”

“The next photo shows two elongated crescent-shaped UFO’s that not only banked and turned like terrestrial aircraft, but they also attacked and flew in formation like our own would.” “They also accelerated to nearly Mach 4 and were able to pull near right angled turns at that speed.” Alec let out a slow whistle. Paul’s jaw hung slack.

“These two UFO’s fired a beam type weapon of intense heat that quite literally vaporized two modern combat aircraft.”

Foster blurted out, “How in the hell do you fight against these things?”

Straker spoke up. “I’m glad you asked, Paul.” “In this case, a picture is worth far more than a thousand words…” “Watch the monitors.” “The left is the gun camera composite and the right is the cockpit view with heads-up display (HUD).” “I have chosen not to add the cockpit audio as you might find it disturbing enough without…”

Straker pressed the play button on the remote controller for both screens. Alec and Paul were on the edge of their seats. “Would you care to narrate, General?” He handed the remote to Prosser. It was night footage. The left screen was blank but the date/time signature showed in the lower left corner which matched the right.

The footage began of the glowing white sphere off in the distance. “Here we are climbing upward toward the object.” “You’ll notice the climb rate, G-load and airspeed of Mach 1.4.” “We are closing on the object, to within 5 kilometers.”

He paused the films. “There is nothing on the radar screen and the UFO is about to do something unimaginable.” “It is going to reverse course without slowing and accelerate back at us.” “It happens very quickly.” “The bright flash to my left is my two comrades being destroyed by the UFO.” He started the tape again. It was simply a blinding light that grew quickly until it took up the whole screen. The display on the HUD showed that Prosser had just executed a 4-G turn to the right. A brilliant flash illuminated the canopy interior. Red lights on the thermal threat management readout flashed quickly in response to the heat of the explosion behind him.

Prosser continued. “Now I am descending to gain airspeed in an increasing radius right turn.” The object is to my right as I come around and it is moving away but turns again to come back at me.” “I firewall the throttle and climb rapidly to my service ceiling.” “At the top, I cut throttle and snap the nose over into a dive.” The HUD display was dizzying and the visible gauges were all in rapid motion.

“You will now notice the object is directly in front of me and climbing while I am diving toward it at full throttle.” The Mach register was climbing to over 2.3. “The object is unswerving as I open up with my guns.” The left monitor began showing 30 mm tracers, each followed by nine explosive projectiles. Prosser was rolling his ship, creating a vortex of fire to cover maximum surface area. A blinding flash whited out the screen on both sides. “The UFO has been destroyed and I must now pull out of a high speed dive without scattering myself all over the Black Forest.”

All of the faces around the table were white as a sheet.

“Are we ready with the second film, Commander?”

“Just press play again, General.” Said Straker.

Freeman and Foster sat with their jaws clenched and fist tight enough to make the fingers whiten.

Prosser began again. “As you will note, the second incident takes place in daylight.” “Our flight was dispatched to look for the two objects.” “We had an idea what general area they were in and their direction.” He started the tape. “We are at low altitude and cruising just over Mach one, with me in the point position.” “Again, there is no radar image or missile lock possible.”

There was a flash in the canopy and the thermal threat indicator was flashing quickly. “The two UFO’s have just vaporized the other members of my flight from behind and overflown me at nearly Mach four.” They were just a silvery blur…

“I am now going vertical with full afterburner to gain the advantage of altitude and to put the sun behind me.” “You will note the G-load, altimeter and airspeed indicators.” The dizzying image through the canopy was of the sun rotating slowly around the nose as Prosser was rolling vertically, looking for the UFO’s.

“I found they had circled back around and were now speeding along in close formation from behind me but just above the ground.” “I suspect they lost sight of me against the glare of the sun.” “I have now reached my service ceiling and cut throttle again to bring the nose over.” “I am now the ‘Hun in the sun’ and diving inverted on them at over Mach two.” The image of the ground was closing quickly while the indicators swung wildly.

“They are close enough together that deflection shooting of the 30 mm canon pods presents a wall of projectiles that they fly directly through.” “They both impact on a rocky outcropping less than a kilometer away.” “I roll upright and pull out…”

“Are there any questions?”

The films proved to be a white knuckle ride for all of the command staff and they sat in stunned silence. Straker was an experienced fighter jock but the others were reeling from culture shock. Air combat was more intense than they had imagined.

Straker decided to break the ice. “General, what kind of projectiles were you firing in each incident?”

“Standard 30mm explosive ordnance with incendiary tracer rounds.” “This is the middle 1970’s you are seeing.” Said Prosser.

Paul was next. “Who taught you maneuvers like that, General?”

“I learned from former Luftwaffe pilots who had survived the war.” “It was a different experience for German pilots than their Allied counterparts, Colonel.”

“Allied pilots rotated in and out of combat duty, and after so many sorties were sent home or off to other non-combat roles.” “German pilots in both wars simply flew until they were either killed or the war ended.”

“Honing survival instincts in the cockpit are what defined their training from any other flight schools I’ve ever experienced.” “In air combat, it is often the case that real victory comes down to simple survival…”

Straker added. “I have watched these films several times now and I believe I can safely say that there are two reasons why the General survived these encounters.”

“First, he did not waste time trying to make something work that didn’t.”

“Secondly, he was continually thinking outside of the box and not bound to a standard procedure that could be easily anticipated by his opponent.”

Straker continued. “General, was anything recovered from either incident that would tell us about these other alien species?”

Prosser said, “Regretfully little, Commander.” “There was little recovered from the glowing sphere, suggesting that it was not structure as we know it.” “There were fragments that looked similar to thick egg shell.” “That material disintegrated within a matter of hours.” “I suspect that it may have been remotely operated and had no pilot.”

“The wreckage from the two crescent-shaped craft required excavation to expose fully.” “They were able to salvage bits of an unknown metal, none larger than a fist and badly deformed.” “That was collected and confiscated immediately.”

“The most useful information that the investigation team discovered was biological material scattered among the wreckage.” “I encountered great difficulty getting any information about this.” “It appeared to be reptilian flesh with humanoid musculature and partially hollow bone structure.” “Also, the ground where the biological material was scattered was saturated with greenish liquid, high in oxygen content…”

“Shit!” Exclaimed Commander Straker. “This is what I feared as soon as I watched those films from your encounters, General.”

“That egg shell material that disintegrated in hours…” “The green oxygenated liquid…” “Our alien opponents are collaborating with other hostile alien species.”

“They are either sharing, or more likely copying more advanced technologies.” Straker’s face was red. “Our aliens may prove to be the slower-witted kids in the galactic neighborhood…” “Their scout ships seem much less advanced.”

“I’m afraid there is more to it Commander.” Said Prosser with a gaze like glacial ice.

“The small size of these craft would suggest that they were short-range vehicles and not interstellar craft.”

Prosser placed his hands flat on the table and leaned over it. “These alien craft got a ride to our planet…”

CHAPTER 8

By late afternoon, they had a game plan. Everyone felt a bit overwhelmed at what was before them. The necessary training, design and commission of new equipment, systems and facilities were all staggering. Straker was sitting at his desk, a gaze miles away. He placed his hands over his face and took a deep breath.

Straker looked and sounded exhausted. “Most of this is planning, staffing and training with a major load of design and construction.” “What has me stymied is how in the hell we’re going to pay for it all…”

Prosser dropped a plain looking folder in front of Straker and pulled two Toro’s from his pocket cigar sleeve. He clipped them and toasted the foot of each. He had a broad grin and a razor sharp gleam in his eyes. He pushed the folder toward the Commander and flipped it open.

Straker began reading and his countenance changed completely. He accepted the cigar from Prosser and took a long pull on it. A smile was forming on his face as he read…

“What is that, Ed?” Asked Alec. The command staff stepped over toward his desk from around the conference table. Prosser stepped around behind Straker and to his right so the rest could stand in front of the desk. He stood erect with his cigar clamped securely in his jaws.

“This is a duplicate of the document General Henderson shoved down the throats of the I.A.C. and U.N.S.C.” His eyes were lit up and shining as he read on and turned the pages. He turned a few back just to make sure he read them correctly. He was now laughing out loud. He looked over the puzzled faces of his command staff…

“Once more, General James L. Henderson has saved the world…” He said.

“This document not only restores absolutely full budgeted funding to SHADO, but dumps a massive windfall from I.A.C. into our coffers, provides for commission upgrades for all SHADO officers and staff and makes major changes at I.A.C. in structure.” “They now answer directly to General Prosser for all SHADO matters.”

“The committee can never cut support or funding to us again and this document makes the United Nations Security Council legally and financially responsible for any damage to life, property or infrastructure due to alien hostilities and collateral damage as a result of defending the Earth from them.”

“There is also a list several pages long of well-padded offshore accounts and real estate holdings around the globe for our use.” “I suspect the value may be well into the upper hundreds of billions…” “I can’t even imagine how these came to be.”

Straker turned around and looked at Prosser. “You knew about this, didn’t you?”

Prosser just grinned broadly and winked. He released a large smoke ring over Straker’s head. “Your guardian angel intended to make sure you would keep your halo intact, Commander.”

They all shared a laugh and a renewed sense of optimism.

Prosser leaned forward and spoke softly to Straker. “It was never intended for me to occupy General Henderson’s office at I.A.C., Commander.” “It was intended to generate a healthy fear when they see me arrive unannounced…” Straker grinned.

Big changes were indeed coming. SHADO’s underground complex would more than double in size. The excavation would enter through the rock quarry beside the studio grounds.

The dormitory would become one of three in a complex with a university-like setting for training courses. Even the medical center would double in capacity and staff.

Planet Earth would be surrounded by a global network of advanced satellites that watched for all types of measurable anomalies in the depths of space in all directions. S.I.D. would get substantial upgrades as well.

Moon Base would not only grow but would become the space-born headquarters for two additional Earth orbiting platforms for launching new long range Interceptors.

Terrestrial defense would no longer be limited to SkyDiver units and Mobiles. There would be new SHADAIR bases scattered around the globe for launching long-range high speed variable wing-geometry interceptors and tactical fighters. Several would be on remote islands that would also serve as bases for the enlarged fleet of updated SkyDiver submarines and surface vessels.

SHADO would also train and disperse a network of intelligence agents around the globe to look for alien activities, influences and presence here on Earth. They would be supplemented by rapid insertion strike teams with state of the art weaponry.

The SHADO Command Staff would be very busy recruiting and training new staff in all areas of operation. This was going to be a huge undertaking…

Following the meeting, Thorvald walked with Virginia back to her office. It had been a very long but productive day. Thorvald closed the door and secured it behind them. “I need to tell you something, Virginia…”

She looked at him with a mix of worry and wonder. “What is it, Thorvald?”

“We are going to be very busy and pulled away from each other in the months ahead by our duty schedules.” “I don’t want that to happen without me having said this…” He wrapped his arms around her and looked deep into her storm grey eyes.

“I love you with all my heart, Virginia.” She felt as though she was melting, yet she felt equally weightless in his arms. “I cannot and will not hold that love back from you ever again…” “I want you to be my wife, and soon.” He raised her hand gently upward and softly kissed the back of it then pressed it against his cheek.

“Oh Thorvald, I want that too, Love.” She kissed him tenderly, her fingers slipping through his hair. “We should probably make a trip to Brighton first though.” “I think my mother would be insistent on meeting you first.”

Thorvald smiled. “Good. I have something very important to ask her…”

Commander Straker called the Command Staff back to his office and spoke to them as a group once more before they called it a very long day. Everyone noticed that Virginia and Thorvald were standing hand in hand. They all smiled at that.

“I need to express a couple last things before we depart.” “There are two here that have potential issues with being recognized out on recruitment drives due to their past lives.” “Yes, that’s you, Thorvald and Dr. Jackson.” “They will be tasked with training the prospects that the rest of you bring in according to their fields of expertise.” “You will all be working with designers, machinists, aviation and aerospace engineers, covert operatives, strike units, pilots, naval recruits, etc.”

The last thing I want to say, General Prosser has also put his blessing on – Namely that you all have the next two days to yourselves to take care of whatever personal business you need to complete before we hit the ground running…” “There won’t be time to stop once this machine gets rolling…” “Now go home and do some living.” He finished with a broad smile.

Prosser leaned over him and said, “You take off too, General.” “I think Major Ford and I can handle the overnight shift together.” “See you in the morning.”

Straker didn’t argue – he was exhausted and his thoughts were becoming disorganized.

Everyone stepped out of Straker’s office while General Prosser remained behind. Ford had just arrived to take Ayshea’s duty station for the overnight shift. Prosser rolled a chair from the conference table out and right up beside Ford.

“Hello, Major Ford,” He said with a toothy grin and a sparkle in his eyes. “I am General Prosser.” “I’m going to work beside you tonight so you can show me what goes on at your station.”

Ford looked terrified momentarily and then looked puzzled. “Did you say Major?”

Prosser smiled warmly and put his hands on his knees. “You heard correctly.”

Ayshea overheard the exchange as she was gathering her belongings. She put a hand on Ford’s shoulder and said, “Congratulations Keith!” “It was a pleasure to meet you, General Prosser,” she said preparing to exit.

“It was for me too, Captain Johnson…” She paused in her tracks and looked back at the imposing man with the broad grin on his face. Prosser noted the glow in her soft brown eyes and the lovely smile on her face framed in beautiful flowing black hair. He would try to sketch that image later if time permitted.

“Thank you, General.” She turned and stepped toward the exit energetically.

IP Logged

Moo
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 2:52am
Print Post  
CHAPTER 9

The following morning Virginia pulled up in front of Thorvald’s apartment ready to head for Brighton. When he came out she was sitting on the passenger side with a sweet smile. “Really Love, you want me to drive this turbine machine?”

“You might as well get accustomed to it, Thorvald.” “Besides, if you can happily take navigation directions from a woman, it will be proof that our love will last forever…” She said with a giggle.

“May it never be said that I am unwilling to take direction from a woman…” He said with a grin. “You will know someday soon how far that policy goes, Love.” He had a devilish glint to his eyes.

She cut her eyes at him with a sensuous smile and said, “I can hardly wait…”

Thorvald pressed what he assumed to be the appropriate buttons. The car rolled forward into the parking block with a thump. Ginny stifled a giggle and patted him on the shoulder. “This button is forward and this one is reverse, Love.” He looked down again near his feet. No clutch and no gear lever. He made an effort to be smooth with his inputs. The turbine engine spooled up in rpm’s and the car headed out to the motorway smoothly. He got a feel for it quickly…

Virginia had navigated for Thorvald right up to her mother’s driveway. It had been an enjoyable trip. They had chatted and relaxed, talking about the future and things they’d like to do together. Virginia’s mother was peeking out from behind the curtains as they walked toward the door hand in hand. She liked what she was seeing already. This brawny bear of a man absolutely adored her daughter.

Thorvald paused, feet from the door. He suddenly felt incredibly nervous and his feet felt like bags of wet clay. Beads of sweat popped out on his forehead. Virginia was incredibly amused by all of this.

“Where’s my Viking warrior?” “After years of combat experience and jumping out of airplanes in the dark, this is what scares you?” She laughed and mopped his brow with a handkerchief. “She is going to love you almost as much as I do…” She grabbed his arm with both hands and towed him in through the front door.

“Mom, we’re here…” She said loudly. Her mother appeared from another room she had just scurried to in order to give the right appearance. They embraced and kissed each other on the cheek.

“Lovely to see you, dear.” She said, with all the charm and grace of a princess. Virginia’s mother was stunning, and not a lot older than Thorvald. It was easily imagined that strangers might assume them to be siblings. Virginia was cut from the same bolt of cloth as her mother but didn’t inherit her deep brown eyes.

Virginia spoke sweetly. “Mom, this is Thorvald Magnusson. Her mother had already heard much about this man from her daughter but she played along. She stepped in front of him and held out both hands. Thorvald gently placed his hands around them and gave a warm smile. She looked up into those deep green eyes and then back at Virginia.

She broke from Thorvald’s hands and instead moved in, giving him a heart-felt hug. “This is how we really say hello in this house, Thorvald.” He wrapped his arms around her, perhaps a little too tightly. She stepped over toward Ginny and said, “You were right dear, those eyes are just bottomless…” “They look as though you could swim in them.” Thorvald’s cheeks reddened quickly. “All that formality and manners crap goes out the window as of now, Thorvald…” She smiled up at him.

“Relax darling, she likes you.” Said Ginny. 

They chatted in the kitchen over coffee. Virginia was amused seeing her mother awestruck by Thorvald automatically slipping a towel over his shoulder and preparing to make them a gourmet lunch.

Her mother whispered to her. “Good Lord Ginny, he’s gorgeous, he adores you and he’s sweeter than any dessert you can name.” “Plus, he cooks like a professional chef.” “If you don’t marry him, I will…”

Virginia laughed. “He is actually going to ask you for your permission to do just that.” “He is very big on Old Country tradition Mom.”

“Which one?”

“He’s from Northern Sweden mom, the Lappland region, where people still herd reindeer and stuff.” “He speaks of it like a snow covered paradise.”

“How fascinating darling.” “That short ponytail and the grey highlights in his hair are just sexy as hell.” “Great body as well.”

“You noticed that too…” “He is also a brilliant musician and craftsman.”

Thorvald was in his kitchen groove and began humming a folk song from his childhood on the family farm. Virginia and her mother were smiling and bobbing their heads to the tune behind him, amused at his expense.

Thorvald found the plates, utensils, glassware and napkins without input. Virginia and her mother just gazed, smitten.

Thorvald set their places and plated the savory dish and sides for them. He poured the wine for each and joined them. “Mrs. Lake, I’d like to ask you something very important after our meal.”

She played along. “That would be fine, Thorvald.” She slipped a bite of his offering into her mouth and her brown eyes grew. “My goodness this is delicious, Thorvald.”

They chatted over the meal and when finished, Thorvald cleared the table, rinsed everything and loaded it in the dishwasher. He placed the leftovers in a container and then in the refrigerator. It took only a few minutes to complete.

He asked Mrs. Lake if he could speak to her privately. Ginny just smiled and sipped her coffee. She could see them on the screened-in porch. Thorvald was sitting across from her mother. She was playing the unknowing role to perfection. She placed her hand in Thorvald’s while he spoke, looking very earnest.

Ginny saw Thorvald stop speaking and her mother glanced back at her with a wink. She saw her mother say something and Thorvald responded. He kissed her hand and squeezed it. She could see he was thanking her profusely… They both rose and came back in. Virginia’s mother gave her a covert thumbs-up. Thorvald was beaming…

Virginia rose up to embrace him. “Come with me, Thorvald, I want to show you the gardens.” She said, taking him by the arm. Her mother moved to a seat by the window so she could enjoy the spectacle. They walked slowly hand in hand.

“Thorvald, this is my favorite place in the whole world.” “I spent much of my childhood sitting here among the flowers, dreaming of all the wonderful things that might be before me.” “This was always a place of great hope and joy for me.”

Thorvald said, “That makes it perfect for this then.” He removed a box from his pocket and bent down on one knee taking her hand gently in his. Her eyes and smile grew to a look of surprise. He looked up into her eyes with a glow in his. “Virginia, I don’t want to spend one more single moment of my life without you beside me.” “Please make me a complete and joyful man by being my wife.”

She pulled him up to her face, her eyes tear-filled and gleaming. “There is nothing in this world or any other that I want more Love.” “Absolutely yes…” She kissed him tenderly and glanced back toward the house.

She could see her mother in the window, pumping her arms over her head in celebration. She put them down before Thorvald turned back in that direction. She was teary eyed, so pleased that Ginny had finally found the love of her life. Her mother had prayed for this for so many years…

Virginia and Thorvald walked arm in arm back to the house.

There was a round of hugs and the customary showing of the ring to the mother. A bottle of champagne was opened to toast the engagement.

Virginia and her mother sat on opposite sides of Thorvald on the sofa while they showed him pictures of Virginia’s father, both in uniform and in family photos. He now knew where Ginny’s steel grey eyes came from. Her parents were a handsome couple and Ginny was an adorable child. He never had doubted it.

As evening approached Thorvald offered to make another meal or take them both out to celebrate at a fine dining establishment. Ginny’s mother looked at her daughter and said, “No thank you, Thorvald.” “It’s been a full day and you two have much to do and quite a drive ahead of you…” She turned and winked at Ginny.

Thorvald hugged her again and thanked her graciously once more. She walked them to the door. As she and Ginny embraced she whispered, “I’m so happy for you Love.” “He is everything I ever hoped for to be your partner in life.” “Your father would have loved him too dear.”

The sun was setting as Thorvald opened the door for his fiancé and climbed in on the driver’s side. He found the starter button, then seemed to be searching…

“Where are the lights, Ginny?” She pressed a button on the console and the headlights opened and illuminated. The gauges in the dash lit up as well. They just smiled at each other. One nice feature on a turbine car was that the driver and passenger could hold hands and not have to break them in order to change gears…

A couple hours into the drive, Thorvald asked Virginia, “Are you hungry, Love?”

“Yes Thorvald – hungry and sleepy.” “I’ve made this trip hundreds of times and there is a small village up ahead with a cozy Italian place.” “There is also a place near there on a lake that rents the cutest little furnished cottages.” “We did both bring an overnight bag dear.” Thorvald smiled – he was getting nervous again…

The Italian dinner was authentic and perfectly prepared. After dinner they sat hand in hand sipping their wine and gazing into each other’s eyes illuminated by the glow of the candle. They would remember this day always and would try to come back to this little eatery often to recapture this moment. This night was indeed very special.

They were able to get the last of the little cottages that looked out over the lake. Thorvald paused on the porch looking over the water. “Sjobolet.” He said. “It means ‘cottage on the lake’ in Swedish.” “I hope to have a similar view for our home in the future.” Inside, the décor was like a step back in time. Except for the somewhat modern bathroom and quaint electric lights, there was nothing that would look out of place in the early 1900’s. The center point of the room was a beautifully crafted oak bed with a forest scene carved in the headboard and elegant lines in the posts. It was covered by a hand-sewn quilt and several fluffy pillows. It was inviting.

“You go ahead and get ready, Thorvald.” “I might need a bit longer…” He stepped into the bathroom and closed the door. Virginia was looking at the sparkling glint from her new ring and feeling some fear. It had been so very long since she’d been intimate with anyone. She was well into her 40’s and the years had changed her body much since that last time. She was afraid he wouldn’t like what he saw…

She looked at her ring again and steeled herself. “This man loves me dearly and nothing can change that now.” She would be herself. A loving, grown adult woman.

In the bathroom, Thorvald was having his version of the same talking-to. Would he be able to satisfy such a beautiful woman? Would she be repelled by his bizarre collection of scars, including the newest one for his cardiac implant? It left a pink slash below his left collarbone and felt like a large tin of sardines under the skin. The others were a mix of bullet wounds, blade wounds and evidence of having been scourged for hours in an attempt to extract information when he’d been captured.

His body looked like twenty miles of bad gravel road and he was worried… He looked in the mirror and pulled up his best Viking warrior gaze. “This woman loves you and wants to be with you for life.” “Suck it up soldier, and bring your ‘A-game’ to the field.” He finished getting ready and emerged wearing a simple robe.

Virginia smiled and stepped in with her overnight bag. Thorvald waited, sitting in a hand-made oak armchair with quaint quilted cushions. He was still nervous.

Virginia opened the door and stepped out, looking positively radiant in a flowing silk robe with delicately embroidered flowers. It was a champagne color with pale pink borders and sash. She stepped slowly over to where Thorvald was seated, now on the edge of his chair. He leaned forward and she moved to him, her sash slipping loose and the robe parting to reveal the full glory of the woman he so adored.

Thorvald’s eyes seemed to glow. He reached inside her robe and pulled her to him, wrapping his arms around her snugly. He closed his eyes and buried his face in the luxuriantly silky skin of her abdomen, her breasts cradling his head. She ran her fingers through his hair gently, kissing the top of his head. She felt him shudder a few times and realized he was softly weeping with his arms wrapped tightly around her. Tears filled her eyes.

“Thank you for not giving up on me, Ginny.” He said, with a soft shaking voice. “I never believed I would ever know anything this beautiful…” “Thank you Love, thank you, thank you…” She pulled him up and kissed him tenderly. She untied his robe and pushed it gently off of his shoulders. She let hers drop behind her.

They embraced and shared their first lingering passionate kiss. There would be no more restraint or fear for either. They made love, tenderly and thoroughly. It left them both physically and emotionally spent and blissfully satisfied. They slept the contented slumber of completed souls finding fulfillment.

CHAPTER 10

After a blissful night of sleep wrapped around each other, Thorvald and Virginia awoke, relaxed and toasty warm under the blankets. They looked at each other, smiling, looking deep into each other’s sleepy eyes. Then the both began to laugh uncontrollably. They each were sporting a crop of hair that was flat in spots and pointed to all directions of the compass in others. Bed head…

They brushed their teeth and enjoyed a leisurely shower together. They gently and thoroughly washed each other and shampooed each other’s hair. Virginia made and effort to shave the appropriate parts of Thorvald’s face. For them it was simply an act of loving kindness – the kind of intimacy that can be shared daily for life, no matter how long that might be.

They took their time getting ready but both were quite hungry. They found a small restaurant nearby that served the traditional English country breakfast. Thorvald wasn’t sure what to think when it arrived but Virginia had said, “Trust me…”

Eggs, toast, sausage… and baked beans? Thorvald was a little hesitant at first but the flavors actually worked together, the smoky flavor of the sausage and beans complimenting the eggs better than he would have expected. He also knew all too well that there were a few traditional Swedish foods that were only palatable to other Scandinavians, and maybe felines. Even he couldn’t force himself to eat lutefisk…

They had the whole day so they made a trip to the Cotswolds to visit the Henderson’s. They wanted to share the good news with them and to ask the General if he would be willing to stand as either Thorvald’s Best Man or to stand with Virginia’s mother to represent her late father.

James Henderson greeted the visitors warmly. His beloved Evelyn was sitting in a wheelchair with an afghan spread over her legs and left arm. She was sharply dressed and her silver hair was pinned up with perfection. She looked up at Thorvald and recognized those deep green eyes. She tried to smile but it was clear her left side was not responding.

She reached up with her right hand. Thorvald kneeled down in front of her and she placed it on his cheek. "You're that lad that brought my James home to me when everyone else said he was missing and presumed dead.”

Her eyes were tearing and her voice was getting weaker sounding. “Thank you, son.” “Now I have him all to myself, for keeps…” Thorvald stood and leaned over, kissing her gently on the cheek. She motioned to her husband to come near and whispered in his ear. He laughed and looked at Thorvald.

“She said you look much better with a full head of hair.” Said Henderson. “Last time she saw you it was a quarter inch long.” He looked at Virginia. “Now what’s all that sparkly jazz on your left hand, Virginia?” She and Thorvald just beamed…

They talked of the engagement and asked the General to be a part of the ceremony. He graciously declined but thanked them. Evelyn could not travel yet and he would not leave her.

He told them he sold that drafty massive house on the estate they had lived in for nearly twenty years. He joked that there were rooms he still hadn’t entered after all those years. He had bought a more reasonably sized traditional home here in the Cotswolds – thatch roof, stone walls and sheep for neighbors. A paradise…

Some of his home staff had moved with him but he would never need a game keeper or gardener again.

Mrs. Henderson had fallen asleep. Her husband whispered his thanks for the visit and wished them well in their new life together with the demand that they come back for regular visits…

The drive back to Harlington was filled with talk of wedding plans and things of the future. They had a game plan although it was clear there would be no nights apart again unless one of them was travelling or on duty. Home would be wherever they could be alone together.

They were just a bit delayed getting in to Straker’s office. Their shower had gone a bit longer than expected, so Virginia followed Thorvald’s example and just put her hair in a ponytail. That alone had probably made up at least 10 minutes.

They stepped in together. Prosser, Straker, Freeman, Foster and Jackson were already there. They all noticed the couple had a very different vibe.

Straker smiled. “Virginia, what is that thing on your hand that is sparkling like a disco ball?” She smiled and blushed. Thorvald was standing right behind her and to her right, grinning like a schoolboy.

Virginia turned and swatted him in the gut. “Well… say something!” Everyone else erupted in laughter.

Straker said, “I see you two have made the most of your two days off.” “Thorvald is already at a loss for words…” Now Thorvald was turning red. They talked briefly of the visit with the Henderson’s and the plans for the wedding that they were trying to put together quickly. They wanted to have it during the next week…

Virginia had most of the details worked out and all of the people in Straker’s office had a part in the ceremony. It would have to be nearby and simple. She said, “I just don’t know where to find a clergyman on such short notice.”

Dr. Jackson spoke up. “I can perform the ceremony for you gladly.” They all looked at him. “General Henderson didn’t put it in my personnel file, but I was a young Novice studying for the priesthood when the war broke out.” “I put that on hold to serve in the Polish underground.” “After completing my medical training, I completed my divinity studies and was ordained."

This explained a great deal. Jackson was a brilliant interrogator, swinging from icy detachment to apathetic patron and all points between at will. It also explained his gift in the role of gentle, caring counsellor for those in need.

“Did none of you ever wonder why I never had a woman in my life?” He asked, feigning irritation. He knew that they had all assumed he was either gay or simply asexual. It was an amusement to him.

Virginia said, “Neither of us are Catholic Doctor.” Jackson laughed.

“I can do Catholic, Protestant, Hebrew or whatever you need.” “I would best be described as a chaplain over the term priest.” “And it would be my honor…”

Thorvald spoke up. “That means I need a new best man Yannick, but we would love to have you perform our ceremony.” “There is only one other person that has known me for that many years.” “Would you please stand with me, General Prosser?”

Prosser grinned, “I would be honored to do so, Thorvald.” “I will always stand by my Viking friend…” Thorvald smiled broadly.

Ginny said, “Ed, Alec, I want you to stand with my mother in the place my father would have stood.” “She knows you both and thinks the world of you.”

Straker and Alec both nodded and smiled.

Paul Foster looked at them and simply said, “Well…?”

Virginia laughed, “You’ll be my flower girl, Paul…” He grinned.

Thorvald said, “We know you have a solid baritone singing voice and we’d like to have you sing a duet with Ayshea during the ceremony.” Paul looked shocked.

Virginia added, “Thorvald can hear both of you singing in your respective showers so don’t deny it.” “The wedding will be a sort of old-world, simple Swedish ceremony.” “What we want you to sing is a simple, beautiful Swedish hymn - acapella…” “Oh yes, in English…” She said.

Straker said, “We can do the wedding here if you like.” “We can turn a sound stage into a slice of Old World Sweden in short order.” “That actually is a good segue into our first topic for discussion of SHADO business…”

“We are going to need every square foot of this site to accomplish the herculean tasks we have outlined.” “In order to make that happen will have to close the film studio and dismiss the staff.”

“We will do so under the guise of bankruptcy or an action by the board of directors.” “Since there is no board of directors, we can pretty much do whatever we need to as long as the story is a good one.”

“We’ll give all those near retirement a generous early payout and the rest we’ll give a years’ severance pay.” “We can even provide letters of reference to those deserving.” “We need to tell them the facility has already been leased in case they see activity here when they drive by.”

“The beauty of it is that once things stabilize again for SHADO, we can re-open the studio under new ownership.” “Our cover in the community must remain intact at some level…”

“Alec, would you take care of getting the set crew to create our little slice of Sweden?”

“I’m on it, Ed.” He said, giving Ginny a wink as he passed by and out the door.

He continued, “I need to go upstairs to work out the details of the closure.” “I hope to have an empty upper deck by the end of the business day - tomorrow at the latest.” “You all know your assignments…”

Straker stepped out, leaving Foster to maintain the vigil while the others went their own ways. Prosser stepped out with Virginia. Thorvald was already several steps ahead looking like he was on a mission.

Virginia said, “Thank you for being his Best Man, General.” Prosser smiled and said quietly, “I don’t want Thorvald to ever know this, but I used to watch over him like a mother hen over her baby chick.”

“He was always sort of a lost soul, being an enigma of combat and espionage.” “It was such a lonely way to live…” “I saw the depth of his character and brilliance and felt driven to protect him.” “He drew my profound respect and admiration the first time I worked with him.” “He was an absolute Master of his craft…”

“He doesn’t know that I did two highly-illegal deep cover extractions to recover his nearly lifeless body.” “He never knew how he got home and I don’t want that to change…”

“You’ve no doubt seen his horrific scars.” “They are a testament to the resilience and determination possible in man.” “He is that rare combination of sage and poet-warrior, and an absolute credit to his Viking ancestry…”

“If I could have ever been a father, I would have wanted a son exactly like him…”

Virginia smiled. “General, I should probably warn you about my mother who will be attending the ceremony.” He looked at her puzzled. “She is going to be absolutely smitten with you the first time you two meet and chat.”

“How could you possibly know that, Virginia?” He said grinning.

“Because she is a brown-eyed, nineteen-year older, carbon-copy of me…”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo