SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Add Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mindbender 'taking the lid off ' (Read 4495 times)
Teddy
Recruit

UFO Rocks!

Mindbender 'taking the lid off '
Nov 22nd, 2010 at 10:58am
Print Post  
I believe In Mindbender, Straker among others sucumbs to the mindbending influences of a piece of rock gathered  following a UFO incident on the moon.
In the scene where Straker loses his mind the viewer is brought behind the scenes and sees all the nuts n' bolts and set scenery for the show exposing SHADO HQ, Moonbase, inside the Submarine and Actors assume their real names.

I wonder what the impact this had on you, and what artistic relevence or impact Gerry & Sylvia were aiming for by what I thought spoiled the illusion, did we really need to see the flimsy sets and have our immagination destroyed, it certainly in my view seemed an almost self-destructive move on the Anderson's part, and the behind the scenes exposures stayed in my mind right throughout the rest of the series.

IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Re: Mindbender 'taking the lid off '
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Hi Teddy,

welcome on the forum!!!  Grin Maybe you'll tell us a bit about yourself in "Forum and Library"?

Regarding "Mindbender" - it is one of my most beloved episodes. The acting Bishop put into this one to pull it off (and for me he did pull it off) was phantastic. The paranoia, sense of loss, angst and helplessness he portrayed, how he did that, that's some of the finest acting in the whole series.

I liked the plot, which was neatly twisted, though I'd have appreciated the "Full Monty" (with even the names all being the same).

Am I twisted? A bit  Cheesy

IP Logged

Teddy
Recruit

UFO Rocks!

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Hi Guina
Agree, Bishop pushed the boat out on this one great intensity and that sense of total helplesness and isolation, but let me go on a journey in my mind Gerry don't let me see what I already know.

Any expectations for the new Movie? hope its not lost in technological wizzadary and overacting, and equipment and places with only a suggestion of the original. Whatever, could never quench our thirst for the original, me thinks 

Have put my thumb print on the forum library.

IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Hi Teddy,

as I posted, I'd much rather not have a movie, than have a bad one.

Reasoning behind this is that UFO doesn't really have a major following, not like Star Trek. It's not on what I would call "secure feet". With a badly made movie the whole franchise would be dead, INCLUDING the originial series. And I find that that would be very deplorable.

My main beef with the current news is that Gratzner is no director, he is an FX man. UFO was heavy on story and acting. The FX were nice and excellent, but never took over plot or acting.

With the current setup for the movie that would be reversed. Already now the actor suggestions are pretty horrid.

IP Logged

Normandie
Captain

UFO Rocks!

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Teddy wrote on Nov 22nd, 2010 at 10:58am:
...did we really need to see the flimsy sets and have our immagination destroyed...

I loved seeing behind the scenes - I thought it was really clever, a witty way of showing the parallel world of the Harlington-Straker film studio by showing us the real parallel world of Pinewood... if you see what I mean... and the resulting collision of universes in Straker's head. Brilliant.

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Teddy,
Mindbender was one of the reasons I fell in love with behind-the-scenes stories of movies.  I was so impressed with the sets they used, because I'd never realized up to that point how flimsy they were.  They seemed real to me when I watched the show.  Showing that onscreen took guts -- and I loved it!

Aside from that, the acting in that episode was excellent.  Bishop really made it believable, and I'm sure that was no easy task.  It was a bizarre plot for its time (now, it would be considered the norm), so I'm sure he really put everything in to showing us what he was experiencing.  Great episode!  One of my top 3 from the series.  Cool

The sky is not the limit; nor are the stars.
IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 2:30am
Print Post  
Mindbender was my second favorite episode, just behind Timelash, and just ahead of SubSmash. I loved seeing the behind the scene views of the sets and the idea of Ed's altered reality being an actor in a series was awesome.

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Matt!
Your top 3 are also my top three!  (Although not necessarily in that order!)  Wow!  Talk about great minds thinking alike!  Color me amazed!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 5:06am
Print Post  
You know one of the reasons that Timelash is my favorite!  Cool

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Well, duh!  :Smiley  No, I can't imagine it, Matt!  Why is Timelash your favorite? *snicker*

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Oh no...the purple blouse! *grin* In fact Timelash had so much going for it that I would have liked it anyway. The scene where Ginny and Ed get out of the car and the camera focuses on Ed's hand as it clenches was awesome.

Mindbender was every bit as good. Loved it when Ed fought his way back to reality, replaying the scene with Henderson. That episode is also the first (and only) time that he called Virginia by name. At least on camera. *snicker*  Wink

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Wait a minute!  He actually called her Virginia?  Shocked  I missed that.  When did it happen?

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #12 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 1:03am
Print Post  
When Beaver James was holding the gun on her Ed said, "Virginia, when I give the word, dive."

Ed always had a soft spot for a dansel in distress.  Kiss

IP Logged

Neesierie
Colonel

Straker, somehow it's
always about you.

Reply #13 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 3:01am
Print Post  
That's right!  I remember now!  Wow.  He actually said it once.  Okay.  That does it.  Now I have to write an Ed/Ginny story!  (I can't believe I said that.)

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #14 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 3:14am
Print Post  
Should I hold my breath?  Shocked :Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo