SHADO
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

News:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Add Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Re: Writing styles (Read 1004 times)
MkIXHawk
Captain

We need to defend ourselves...

Re: Writing styles
Oct 5th, 2010 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Edge of Armageddon first saw the light of Day about eight years ago. I'd come up with a one page synopsis of Keith Ford's Service history and how he came to join SHADO.

I took a copy of this and 'fleshed out' the bare bones
I would usually write, sitting in the car, whilst my son was at his tutor's.
There then came aq hiatus oif several years where other things took priority and also Writer's Block had hit
Eventually, inspiration re-appeared and I picked it up again. With the passage of time, a few more ideas had popped up, perhaps as a result of something I'd read or watched on TV. Quite often, I'd have ideas whilst swimming- it's amazing how swimming a mile can clear the mind, although it often meant I'd lose count of exactly how many lengths I'd actually swum.
In best 'Gerry Anderson' style, the narrative cuts between two or more scenes
Some scenes had originally been 'passage of time' just to give a feeling of time passing and break up a particularly long scene into more digerstible chunks but if a particular scene went well, I'd go with it and it would often end up being a sub-plot in it's own right.

As it approaches it's conclusion, I'mbeginning to have feelings of losing a friend
The story has been written from day one on an Apple Mac (originally a Mac IIvx but later transferred to an iBook) using Microsoft Word v. X (2003 equivalent)

The writing environment has ranged from  sitting in the car, my Mother-in-Law's lounge, my former employers' canteen and Gillingham Ice rink. I will quite often listen to Episodes of UFO whilst writing but sometimes it will just be my iPod to blot out the outside world

I've come to realise that I may not actually be able to post it here; there are a number of graphics included and I'm not sure whether the forum can cope

IP Logged

Guina
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I write in the very early mornings (4 to 8 most times), the new stuff. After that it's only revisioning. I usually can't write in the evenings.

Straight onto the comp, good music accompanying me - currently Jan Gabarek, Jethro Tull, Myrhdin, Alan Stivell.

IP Logged

MkIXHawk
Captain

We need to defend ourselves...

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
I also tend to incorporate real people, either as themselves or, combined with others, to make incidental characters

IP Logged

Matt
Colonel

Everyone at SHADO drinks
coffee!

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
I need relative quiet when I write; if I have music on I keep the volume low enough so that I barely hear it. I sometimes stay late at the office and squeeze an hour or two of writing before I go home.

I use Microsoft Word and write directly to the computer. When I come up with an idea for a story, I put the title and place in the timeline in a Word doc and save it to my thumb drive. When I start the story I set the date that it started on the title page and start writing. All of the other plot details I keep in my head. Much of it is “seat of the pants” and I’m sometimes just as surprised as the readers.

I currently have about ten stories in my head all waiting to get on disk. So far I’ve only been stuck with one that I hit writer’s block on.
  Smiley

What do you mean, we're out of coffee!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Add Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ LinkedIn reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo